playerfromh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Neck pain from Traps workout

Hey everyone, I just finished working out my shoulders for like an hour then i went to work on my traps as usual and i was doing barbell shrugs, i just moved up in weight 10 pounds more than i usually do and as i was finishing my last set the left side of my neck started to hurt really bad, i can't tell where the pain is coming from its like my traps and neck only left side, and every time i turned my head it hurt, after two days i was perfectly fine then when i started working on my back and i guess used the same muscle again the pain was back same as usual. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong, only thing i can think of is when i was finishing my barbell shrug set and putting the weight down, i accidentally shifted all the weight on my left side.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by playerfromh View Post
    Hey everyone, I just finished working out my shoulders for like an hour then i went to work on my traps as usual and i was doing barbell shrugs, i just moved up in weight 10 pounds more than i usually do and as i was finishing my last set the left side of my neck started to hurt really bad, i can't tell where the pain is coming from its like my traps and neck only left side, and every time i turned my head it hurt, after two days i was perfectly fine then when i started working on my back and i guess used the same muscle again the pain was back same as usual. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong, only thing i can think of is when i was finishing my barbell shrug set and putting the weight down, i accidentally shifted all the weight on my left side.
    Probably a common problem called an acute wry neck - a small jpoint on one side of the neck locks up. Usually settles in a couple of days, ibuprofen and ice helps. Physio or chiro can also assist quickly. Usually this is secondaty to a poor / slouching posture.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Cutting, do not disturb. Alkaline's Avatar
    Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alkaline is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sounds like the same area where I pulled something mounting into my dumbbell bench presses. As I was pressing up I felt it kind of move out of place, like a slight pop but no noise. My girlfriend massages it every day with aspercreme but it still hurts like a *****. Can't move my head w/o it hurting.
    In life you struggle to get the weight off your shoulders, in the gym you struggle to pile it on

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
    sounds like the same area where I pulled something mounting into my dumbbell bench presses. As I was pressing up I felt it kind of move out of place, like a slight pop but no noise. My girlfriend massages it every day with aspercreme but it still hurts like a *****. Can't move my head w/o it hurting.
    See above..its a stuck joint!
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

-Nayr- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had the same thing happen to me for several years while benching. The first time I felt a slight snap in the muscles between my shoulder blades and almost dropped the bar on myself. I could barely turn my head for days. I went to Dr?s and Chiros nothing helped. Basically said I strained a muscle (slight tear) and to lay off it for awhile. Anytime I did shrugs or went heavy on back/bench it would flare up again.

Finally, I found a Chiro who said it was a strained muscle and that scar tissue forms to repair the muscle. However scar tissue is not like muscle, it?s tissue that will stick to everything (muscle, tendons, bone) and that can cause problems. I began going for deep tissue massage to clear out all the scar tissue. I obviously have a lot more scar tissue then you guys since I?ve had this crap for years.

I would ice it right after it flares up and take it easy lifting for awhile. Do some internet searches on strained muscles and it will tell you what to do. If it continues to occur I would go get some deep tissue massages. They work wonders.