Taken and not looking LatinaLoca's Avatar
    LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Online Degree Programs? Question for employers and people with experience

I've been looking into getting an online degree but I wonder, what do employers think of these online degree programs? Would you still give as much consideration to somebody that has an online degree?
    Sheepdog # 16
    ...she's an angel with no halo and one wing in the fire...
    ~If you can't bother to thank somebody for the help they gave don't bother asking for it again.~
    TwiloMike, never forgotten. RIP
    "Strength and power are only gained through perseverance." Tryn2getstrong

TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000)
    What are you looking at getting an online degree in? I'd guess that if the ?online degree? is up against a bachelor?s degree from an accredited college (online or not) then ?online degree? would be laughable. Mostly (if I understand correctly) for degrees you need to go to make sure its accredited (by who I am not sure though, lol) I'd read it all but my blonde head hurts just thinking about reading it.
    http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accr...s.jhtml?src=ln
    I will try to be nicer, when you try to be smarter.

I'm the kind of girl who carries her real Glock in her fake Coach...except have a real Coach because I hate faking it.
    Why do you need a side dish? Just eat the meat.
    When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TeresaMalia View Post
    What are you looking at getting an online degree in? I'd guess that if the ?online degree? is up against a bachelor?s degree from an accredited college (online or not) then ?online degree? would be laughable. Mostly (if I understand correctly) for degrees you need to go to make sure its accredited (by who I am not sure though, lol) I'd read it all but my blonde head hurts just thinking about reading it.
    http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accr...s.jhtml?src=ln
    Vet Tech (AS or AAS) and all the schools are AVMA accredited. The next highest would be a Vet which is impossible to get an online degree in.
    Sheepdog # 16
    ~If you can't bother to thank somebody for the help they gave don't bother asking for it again.~

TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000) TeresaMalia is just really nice. (+1000)
    I can't see them holding it against you. I'd think a job like that depends on your personality and experience with animals more (as long as you have the minimum education.)

You know.. I NEVER thought of that....I might look into it too! haha I’d die if I found a vet who’d let me bring my babies in. I’d take a big (like there is any lower you can go) salary cut for that!

Do you know what the average salary is?
    I will try to be nicer, when you try to be smarter.

I'm the kind of girl who carries her real Glock in her fake Coach...except have a real Coach because I hate faking it.
    Why do you need a side dish? Just eat the meat.
    When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50) newlyminted will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    depends on whether or not the online degree is attached to an accredited brick and mortar college. For example you can get a degree through many college by taking all online courses and in the end your degree is the same as someone else who graduated from the same school. What you want to look out for are completely "online" colleges as many of them are not accredited and thus the degree won't be worth the paper it is printed on.

Originally Posted by newlyminted View Post
    depends on whether or not the online degree is attached to an accredited brick and mortar college. For example you can get a degree through many college by taking all online courses and in the end your degree is the same as someone else who graduated from the same school. What you want to look out for are completely "online" colleges as many of them are not accredited and thus the degree won't be worth the paper it is printed on.
    One of the schools I'm considering is Purdue, I'm fairly confident they aren't going to risk their reputation to claim they are accreditted when they aren't. I've checked with the AVMA to check their status too and so far they check out. No matter which online school I pick I'll have somewhere around 250 hrs in the 2nd and 4th semesters of clinicals. However with a name like Purdue comes big cost...14k to complete the online degree. Some of the other schools are half that and I can complete it less time. But you're right, I'd better make darn sure that the school has proper status before I even think of enrolling.

Teresa..you can come with me! I'd love to take all mine with me to work too! I'd thought about nursing but after learning some news about a family member I realized that if somebody like him came him I'd still have to treat him when I'd really rather not.
    From what I've read first year vet techs make around 25k but something I've thought of was that if you can find an exotic animal clinic you can probably start out at around 30k. I hope to specialize in exotic animals since there is an exotic animal clinic not too far from me...then there is always the zoo. My mom said thats where most of my relatives live anyway .
    Sheepdog # 16

BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Definitely only get an online degree if it is affiliated with a well known brick and mortar college. Purdue sounds fine, as long as the degree is from Purdue and not "Online Purdue."

Usually, though, there are a couple of classes that have to be taken on site.

I say this as an employer. Pure online degreed resumes get thrown out if a Bachelors or above is required. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by BittyMonkey View Post
    Definitely only get an online degree if it is affiliated with a well known brick and mortar college. Purdue sounds fine, as long as the degree is from Purdue and not "Online Purdue."

Usually, though, there are a couple of classes that have to be taken on site.

I say this as an employer. Pure online degreed resumes get thrown out if a Bachelors or above is required. Just sayin'.
    Thank you 10000x!!!!
    Sheepdog # 16

PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by LatinaLoca View Post
    I've been looking into getting an online degree but I wonder, what do employers think of these online degree programs? Would you still give as much consideration to somebody that has an online degree?
    I have an AS from a community college in New Jersey. The diploma does not specify how I received it, it's simply an AS Degree. I did 100% of my courses online. My employer (and most) like the idea of online education because it takes an extra effort to complete the course material on your own schedule. It also proves that you're up-to-speed with technology.

Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I work for a post-grad program and we do Grad Dip, Masters, etc via flexible delivery - some classes are face to face, others are online/mail.

I'd echo the above (check their credentials) and add to also look into flexible or distance ed. - it can be worth it.
    I'm Buddha-sized and full of wisdom... and fat.
    ~
    Proud member of "Thick Chicks"
    ~
    Status: Wrist back in action - starting weights again tomorrow morning (light - don't want to re-injure!). On an IBS-friendly diet which is resulting in less sick days, and weight dropping (fricken YAY!)

~Go Big or Go Home!!~ hbk442000's Avatar
    hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hbk442000 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Many universities are moving their academic programs online. For them this is a safe way of making sure they can keep students in case of a major disaster that affects operations, buidlings etc. IE Katrina devasted many of the universities in the area and many schools lost students to other state schools or they just left the state period. Plus employers also lost employees, etc.

Now the key is to find a good accrediated school. Some employers are a bit caustious about Univ. of Pheonix compared to Purdues online MBA program. The trend for many schoools including the elite programs is to move academics online. You will be held to almost the same standards of registration, academic review, advising, etc.

Just make sure to review the programs and confirm that the programs are for credit and can be transfered to a traditional program/school if you choose to enroll in a traditional program later.

PM me if you have any more questions. I be happy to set you up with someone who can answer your questions.

ciao bella
    "If the bar ain't bendin ur just pretendin"

Chi10-10-10

IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzieUpNorth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also be aware that unaccredited and some technical schools are not able to give their students federal financial aid or receive money from awarded scholarships . So you would need personal educational loans to cover 100% of the cost of attendance.

BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BittyMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you 10000x!!!!
    You're welcome! I realize things might change, and certification courses are different. But I can tell you for sure University of Phoenix is out and other "degree mills" are out.

Sounds like you have a good plan, but make sure to get some work experience, even if that means volunteering at a shelter a couple of hours a week.