Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronManMMA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Gain muscle without loads of protein?

is it possible to gain muscle without loads of protein and other nutrients. i'm fine with the fact that it'll take longer as long as im building muscles then im good, but i dont want to be wasting my time, im still eating protein-rich meals but im not taking in the 1g-2g per body lb requirement. Is it possible to just eat normally+workout and gain muscle?

lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How are you finding it difficult to get 138g of protein??
    Boxing Promoter, keystonebox.com

IG/Twitter/Snap: lorinelise8 (stalk away)

Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500) Deskilla is not very helpful. (-500)
    Although protein is important I believe consuming enough calories is more important.

Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colawa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    buy some milk

drink it

You want it go get it anti-steroids's Avatar
    anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anti-steroids is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by IronManMMA View Post
    is it possible to gain muscle without loads of protein and other nutrients. i'm fine with the fact that it'll take longer as long as im building muscles then im good, but i dont want to be wasting my time, im still eating protein-rich meals but im not taking in the 1g-2g per body lb requirement. Is it possible to just eat normally+workout and gain muscle?

possible sure[much the same way its "possible" to piss on an electrical
    fence it does not mean its optimal
    if you are training as hard as you need to to stimulate the hypertrophy
    response then you will need more protein than the average person

without getting to into the science aspect of it[for fear of boring you]
    weight training reduces protein synthesis from baseline
    not enough amino acid intake your body is going to use the calories you take in for energy as opposed to cell growth[body will always take care of it self first [berfore secondary task such as muscle hypertrophy]
    which takes you out of the anabolic state atleast until caloric intake is brought back up to baseline[return to anabolism]
    "you can always think of many reasons not to do anything. But how many people are willing to search for a reason [a good one] to do something" " in life there are good choices and bad choices and in between there are doors"

youtube channel: www.youtube.com/user/ANTISTEROIDSX2
    exist to inspire!
    greatness is upon you ACT LIKE IT!

byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000)
    cell tech

Gangster of Medieval War swordsmanzenn's Avatar
    swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by anti-steroids View Post
    possible sure[much the same way its "possible" to piss on an electrical
    fence it does not mean its optimal
    if you are training as hard as you need to to stimulate the hypertrophy
    response then you will need more protein than the average person

without getting to into the science aspect of it[for fear of boring you]
    weight training reduces protein synthesis from baseline
    not enough amino acid intake your body is going to use the calories you take in for energy as opposed to cell growth[body will always take care of it self first [berfore secondary task such as muscle hypertrophy]
    which takes you out of the anabolic state atleast until caloric intake is brought back up to baseline[return to anabolism]
    this^

protiens are the building blocks. most of the time you will need more than an average person though. you can't build muscle without them. i always thought of bodybuilding as making your muscles fat with nutrients.

Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sure it's possible. Miners and construction workers have huge muscles and I know they don't all eat 150+ grams of protein a day.

grip_x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's a myth, most miners and construction workers dont have "huge muscles" in comparison to a bb. They just usually have large frames

flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) flaabz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    you'll still gain muscle, even vegans gain muscle when working out, just make sure you get plenty of carbs.

KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by flaabz View Post
    you'll still gain muscle, even vegans gain muscle when working out, just make sure you get plenty of carbs.
    So you assume vegan food contains no protein?

Annoying Middle Easterner Jay Rawd's Avatar
    Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by grip_x View Post
    That's a myth, most miners and construction workers dont have "huge muscles" in comparison to a bb. They just usually have large frames
    What about prisoners? They all eat the same thing and they get pretty huge.
    The middle of the road, is tryin to find me
    I'm standin in the middle of life with my pains behind me

KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KidBlast222 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jay Rawd View Post
    What about prisoners? They all eat the same thing and they get pretty huge.
    Have you ever been to prison or are you judging that "prisoners" are big because you have seen prison movies/shows where they are huge? Majority of people in prison are not huge. The food they eat in there isnt complete slop and it does contain carbs/protein etc so the people who do lift in prison are eating alot. It's not like there eating deep fried wings and fast food in prison.

gr8trthan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry but Well you need protein as much as you need carbs and good fats equally.

Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KidBlast222 View Post
    Have you ever been to prison or are you judging that "prisoners" are big because you have seen prison movies/shows where they are huge? Majority of people in prison are not huge. The food they eat in there isnt complete slop and it does contain carbs/protein etc so the people who do lift in prison are eating alot. It's not like there eating deep fried wings and fast food in prison.
    No I'm judging by the fact that alot of guys I've met who have been to prison are huge.

But I can assure you that those 3 square meals don't come anywhere near 1 g of protein per lb. of bodyweight.

And no, they're not eating alot because it would put prison costs too high to feed prisoners around 4000 calories. Not to mention that all of their calorie needs are different, and some might need more cals than others. Prison isn't some snack bar free-for-all. I really doubt prisoners are asking for "double the meat, plz" and getting seconds and thirds to make up for their hy00ge caloric requirements.
    Last edited by Jay Rawd; 01-01-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Originally Posted by gr8trthan View Post
    Sorry but Well you need protein as much as you need carbs and good fats equally.
    The question is how much? He didn't say he doesn't need protein, he just questions the validity of the 1-2g/lb. rule.

Even then, there is a huge difference between 1-2 grams per pound, obviously. Most people with hectic schedules and busy lives would find a bit hard to stuff in around 300-400 grams of protein a day.

I've yet to actually see studies that say needs exceed the 1 g/lb. range. Dr. Lemon says 1 g/lb. Bodybuilders say 1.5-2 g per lb. But I've yet to see any quantitative proof that bodybuilders gain more muscle on quantities of protein greater than 1 g/lb. For the record, I eat 1.5-2 g/lb. but this is solely because I can and not really because I believe it's making me twice as huge as the guy who eats 1 g/lb.

Sure, people will cite examples of bodybuilders who got huge eating alot of protein, but then again i can cite examples of bodybuilders who got huge by not eating as much protein, as well.

Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Assuming you are relatively new to bodybuilding, gains are going to come even if your nutrition is fcking retarded. But to optimize gains in the first 6-12 months, protein intake should be at least 1 g per pound of body weight. Up to 1.3 g can be used as an anti-catabolic buffer throughout your muscle building years.

edit: http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8
    Last edited by Julian_H; 01-01-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Originally Posted by Julian_H View Post
    Assuming you are relatively new to bodybuilding, gains are going to come even if your nutrition is fcking retarded. But to optimize gains in the first 6-12 months, protein intake should be at least 1 g per pound of body weight. Up to 1.3 g can be used as an anti-catabolic buffer throughout your muscle building years.

edit: http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8
    I keep hearing 1.3 g/lb as the upper limit. There must be a study on this somewhere. Do you know of it? I've been looking for it.

Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I keep hearing 1.3 g/lb as the upper limit. There must be a study on this somewhere. Do you know of it? I've been looking for it.
    Unfortunately, research on muscle building elitists are practically unheard of. Most are done on normal weight trained and, often, untrained individuals.

is on that pizza diet bodydropcris's Avatar
    bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KidBlast222 View Post

hahaha same thing for construction workers, i work on construction sites from time to time, and i never see big dudes, and im not big either (and im in the metal fabrication industry), all the guys i see on construction sites are skinny as **** and look like meth heads, or are fat, i have yet to see a ripped up guy or even a guy with a large muscle build....

Originally Posted by Julian_H View Post
    Unfortunately, research on muscle building elitists are practically unheard of. Most are done on normal weight trained and, often, untrained individuals.
    So where did you get this magical 1.3 figure from?

JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No I'm judging by the fact that alot of guys I've met who have been to prison are huge.

But I can assure you that those 3 square meals don't come anywhere near 1 g of protein per lb. of bodyweight.

And no, they're not eating alot because it would put prison costs too high to feed prisoners around 4000 calories. Not to mention that all of their calorie needs are different, and some might need more cals than others. Prison isn't some snack bar free-for-all. I really doubt prisoners are asking for "double the meat, plz" and getting seconds and thirds to make up for their hy00ge caloric requirements.
    I'm willing to bet that the "bitches" give up some of their meals to the Alphas in prison. The same Alphas who have nothing better to do than work out. That's just a guess though. I've never been myself. All I know about prison is what MSNBC tells me. Also the human body is very adaptable. I'm sure If they spend enough time under those conditions that their bodys will adhere to their way of life and grow. All a guess though, don't crucify me.

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Black_Mage_X View Post
    construction workers have huge muscles
    Lol

That is a bunch of BS.

Take it from someone who worked in cons. for 4 years.

LS1 to LBZ now BoostedLS2 BigB02z28's Avatar
    BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000)

It's called Commissary, learn it.

PLENTY of Tuna, Beef, Peanut Butter, Bread/Tortillas/Bagels, Beans, Beefstew, Multivitamins, and more to get "HYOOOGE".

*** NOT to mention, but.... There are QUITE a few states that have BANNED Weightlifting in prison ***

:::EDIT::: Seems as though my pics stopped working, got a different commissary listing for Federal Prison.

Last edited by BigB02z28; 01-04-2009 at 12:17 AM.
    -CEO 10k Pennies/day - 10k Nickles/day - 10k Dimes/day - Working towards 10k Quarters/day
    *LSx Crew*
    *Duramax Crew*
    *Boost Crew*
    *Sold All My Toys Crew*

BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Also, researching and learning a bit more.

The inmates who chose to get serious about lifting, would try to get jobs in the kitchen. Good behavior and befriending/respecting the head CO of the kitchen, would sometimes lead you to a few benefits. Extra food at Chow time, or between times. Also allowing you to pick out some of the better foods for yourself before going to general population.

Also, according to a few prison forums I've been frequenting, many of the ex-cons claim that 99% of the people aren't HYOOOGE. They claim, just walk around the local mall, the same people there, are in prison. You're more likely to see some "swole" dude on the streets, than in the pen.

::::EDIT: The above commissary listing is for their weekly ordering. They have a spending limit of $100 a week, which still seems like plenty. (This is ontop of their 3 hots). Maybe of us don't spend 100 a week on food in the free world.
    Last edited by BigB02z28; 01-04-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    -CEO 10k Pennies/day - 10k Nickles/day - 10k Dimes/day - Working towards 10k Quarters/day
    *LSx Crew*
    *Duramax Crew*
    *Boost Crew*
    *Sold All My Toys Crew*

PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BigB02z28 View Post
    Also, researching and learning a bit more.

Also, according to a few prison forums I've been frequenting, many of the ex-cons claim that 99% of the people aren't HYOOOGE.

Why do you frequent prison forums??

Originally Posted by PS0303 View Post
    Why do you frequent prison forums??
    Was intrigued/interested after seeing so much stuff on television. Documentaries and other T.V. shows.

What you see in movies/television isn't quite what it's really all about. Most things I see through media, I investigate further to expand my knowledge of the subjects.
    *LSx Crew*
    *Duramax Crew*
    *Boost Crew*
    *Sold All My Toys Crew*

XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes its possible. most everyday guys who have alot of muscle barely even know what protein is...

I think the primary thing is adequate protein at EVERY MEAL and often throughout the day. Carbs and fat take care of energy needs and proteins get used for building. Unless you have freakish genetics to grow really fast or are on teh juice you dont need the absurd amounts of protein some people take in

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Black_Mage_X View Post
    Sure it's possible. Miners and construction workers have huge muscles and I know they don't all eat 150+ grams of protein a day.
    I did construction for a VERY long time. From the time I was 15 until I was graduated college at 22. I never saw one person with big muscles. In fact it was fata*ss lazy guys with huge guts who were terribly out of shape.

There is a very big misconception much like "all prisoners are jacked"

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Generally if you eat less protein you will want to increase carb intake.

I personally feel that alot if not most bodybuilders actually eat to much protein. Your body will not utylize protein very well for muscle growth until energy needs are met, I think alot of people who eat tons of protein gain muscle sure but alot of that protein may actually end up being used for energy which carbs could have more efficiently done.

Most research I have seen supports .75-1.0 grams per lean pound of mass, whats important to note is lean pounds of mass not total mass. I think if you are having a few protein shakes a day along with a pound or so of chicken breats you should be ok for a while.