micahvanpraag is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lower back stress while squatting

Hi you all, so when I am back squatting I have this little lower back stress. I wish to post a video but im not able to posts link and videos yet
    More details:
    - The feeling in lower back is pretty present when i lean forward after I squat (to pick my water bottle up for example)
    - It is not necessary pain, just a strong relieved feeling
    - It only lasts for about 5 minutes

Thank you in advance!

TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by micahvanpraag View Post
    Hi you all, so when I am back squatting I have this little lower back stress. I wish to post a video but im not able to posts link and videos yet
    More details:
    - The feeling in lower back is pretty present when i lean forward after I squat (to pick my water bottle up for example)
    - It is not necessary pain, just a strong relieved feeling
    - It only lasts for about 5 minutes

Thank you in advance!
    unsure if you have a form issue since you didn't post a video but if you are worried enough to ask us you should probably just ask a professional since no one wants to be liable if you received wrong advice from an online form, but if you're describing that your back gets pretty stiff after squatting / the day after that's pretty normal.

you don't get DOMs in your lowerback like you would for quads / triceps / biceps / chest etc. instead its more like a stiffness feeling.

if you're getting like dull aches in specific places(ache always on left side not right etc) or sharp pains then you should seek out help, as it could be bulged discs, si joint dysfunction, pelvic faults etc.

By professionals see Physical Therapists and those ART people? unsure about the latter but see them recommended all the time.

some issues may be from tightness in certain muscle groups that are up stream / down stream from the area which is giving you problems don't treat the symptom treat the problem, E.G tendinitis in your elbow may be from lack of mobility in the shoulder preventing you from getting into the correct position so your elbow takes a beating (Pain in elbow, caused by shoulder dysfunction, if you treat elbow you are only fixing the symptom and not the problem.

chances are you are not educated or experienced enough to know what your issue is and even with experience you will find odd situations where you won't be able to find an easy fix,

IE things like shoulder pain when reaching over head positions or bouts of tendintis in elbow due to lack of internal rotation of your shoulder, you might be like oh yeah i lack this thing called internal rotation so you mobilize the shoulder and it still doesn't get any better, and thats because you perhaps need to do first rib mobilizations instead of addressing the shoulder.

from this above example you can see an elbow issue could be related to something you lack in your shoulder (internal rotation), however you lack internal rotation because the musculature around the first rib in your back is tight.
    Symptom: Tendonitis in elbow --------> Cause: Tightness in upper back / trap area

hence why I empahsis see a professional, because in weird circumstances like above it may even take a professional a few sessions to pick up on the fact that your issue may be else where and they will have the added benefit of being able to assess you in person unlike anyone online

don't believe me? see http://www.professionalptandtraining...-the-shoulder/

Advice, if its not general stiffness visit a Physical Therapist
    Last edited by TygaTyga; 04-28-2017 at 07:33 AM.

TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can also post a video just put the link in your post and remove the www. so it doesn't create a hyperlink

b3nny0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had this issue for a long time too. I found that elevating my heels, either by placing a 1/2 - 3/4 inch of rubber under them, or buying a pair of squat shoes (I have the Reebok Crossfit Lifter 2.0's) has helped a lot.

The reason behind this is limited ankle mobility. When you squat with flat shoes, and have bad ankle mobility, you tend to lean forward at the bottom, putting more stress on the low back. By elevating your heels, you reduce the range of motion needed, allowing you to keep your back more upright. I had someone film me squatting flat footed, then with the heels elevated, and there was a big difference on how much I was leaning forward when I was squatting flat footed.

Since I have started squatting with the heels elevated, my low back doesn't really bother me at all anymore, and that is with doing heavy squats and deads in the same week.

Hope that helps out some.
    Bodyweight: 165
    Gym: 375 Squat, 300 Bench, 500 DL
    Meet: 380 Squat, 285 Bench, 500 DL

jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you're getting relief from flexion of the spine (bending over) then I don't think back angle when lifting is the problem. You back is just compressed and you're feeling relief from the decompression. Squatting more vertically is not going to alleviate compression, it's actually going to make it worse.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's a weak link in your squat.
    The squat uses many joint and muscles.
    The low back provides stability and maintain form/technique.
    Get your lumbars stronger before trying any heavier squats and you may want to lighten it up.
    You need strength as well as endurance in your low back lumbar muscles.
    Try the good morning exercise and or back raises off a back raise or glute/ham bench holding weight.
    Until you get your strength up in the area it will give you issues.