steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hoist HF 4201 Lat Pulldown / Low Row

I was told that this is the best consumer lat machine available. It has a 200lb. selectorized stack option. I'm not sure what the free weight capacity is. I was told 350lbs., but I have not verified. I was also told that the construction is superior to powertec, tuff stuff and body solid. I wonder if the low pulley would be heavy enough? Supposedly the low pulley supplies 50% of the top pulley resistance. That would only be 100lbs. with the selectorized stack. That does not seem like it would be heavy enough for low rows. Also, I wonder if belt squats would be possible without hitting the seat or tipping over the machine?

www dot hoistfitness.com/consumer/equipment/hf-4201.aspx

DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by steeelers View Post
    I was told that this is the best consumer lat machine available. It has a 200lb. selectorized stack option. I'm not sure what the free weight capacity is. I was told 350lbs., but I have not verified. I was also told that the construction is superior to powertec, tuff stuff and body solid. I wonder if the low pulley would be heavy enough? Supposedly the low pulley supplies 50% of the top pulley resistance. That would only be 100lbs. with the selectorized stack. That does not seem like it would be heavy enough for low rows. Also, I wonder if belt squats would be possible without hitting the seat or tipping over the machine?

www dot hoistfitness.com/consumer/equipment/hf-4201.aspx
    Like I told you on the phone, Hoist builds great equipment! I have used and sold the Hoist, Parabody, Powertec, Tuff Stuff, and Body Solid for over 13yrs. The construction and overall finish is superior on Hoist products. Hoist is light commercially rated, lifetime frame/welds, 10yr all parts warranty. The free weight capacity is 400lbs, and the unit rides on actual guide rods with nylon bushings (not the square pillow block bushings and square guide) like the cheaper models do. You can add the 200# selectorized stack if you choose to do so, but you will obviously max out at 200#. Again, not sure on the belt squats because I don't have on in my showroom to try at the moment. All the stats on this machine are available at Hoist's website, you might even call them up 1-800-548-5438 and ask about the belt squat ability of the machine.

steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steeelers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What's up man? I just talked to Hoist and they said that the free weight capacity is only 200lbs, meaning that the low pulley would only be 100lbs. Based on every commercial low pulley that I have ever used 100lbs. would not nearly be enough weight.

DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What's up man? I just talked to Hoist and they said that the free weight capacity is only 200lbs, meaning that the low pulley would only be 100lbs. Based on every commercial low pulley that I have ever used 100lbs. would not nearly be enough weight.
    The free weight (plate loaded) option according to Hoists literature is 400lbs. The plate loaded stack is 200lbs. Again, I haven't had a chance to use their new design to test the actual feel of the low pulley, but according to hoist it is a split ratio of 50% so 100lbs max (if you had the 200lb stack option) or 200lbs max if you go plate loaded.

cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    $600 is a lot for a consumer grade lat pull down machine. If I were you I would do pull-ups, but if you are set on buying a lat pulldown check out CFF they have some pretty solid ones for a lower price.

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/index.php/Plate-loaded/View-all-products

Here is the less than impressive response from the company. Perhaps the "Product Support Manager" does not know what he is talking about.

What is the free weight capacity of the HF 4201?

We recommend using up to 200 lbs. for the plate loaded option even though the unit was tested with more weight with no failure results. This unit was designed for home use, that’s why you have very limited weight on it.
    Thank you.
    Mario Lopez
    Product Support Manager
    HOIST Fitness Systems

Here is the less than impressive response from the company. Perhaps the "Product Support Manager" does not know what he is talking about.

What is the free weight capacity of the HF 4201?

We recommend using up to 200 lbs. for the plate loaded option even though the unit was tested with more weight with no failure results. This unit was designed for home use, that’s why you have very limited weight on it.
    Thank you.
    Mario Lopez
    Product Support Manager
    HOIST Fitness Systems
    Sounds like Mario is new to Hoist. The 4201 is designed initially for residential home use, but is also light commercial warrantied (designed strong enough for PT Studios, Offices, Apartment Complexes, Hotels, Schools, etc). I will contact one of my colleagues at Hoist and get some straight answers for you. I can tell you that on a plate loaded Parabody lat pull down (when they were still in business) I personally had 315lbs on their machine which ran on a 2x2 square guide that ran on Teflon strips and had no problems with the unit. The Hoist lat machine is FAR superior to the Parabody, so I'm sure it will handle much more weight. Hoist is closed until Monday, but I will get you the answers you are looking for.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

http://www.hoistfitness.com/consumer...t/hf-4201.aspx
    The way the cables are run on Hoist site, the low pulley should have 100% resistance. The pulley looks like it would be way too high for belt squats without building a raised platform of some sort.

Honestly I see nothing about that machine to justify the high cost. Except maybe the good warranty. Which I wouldn't be surprised was voided if they find you're using it over 200lbs, which is the limit on all their literature, not that they'd ever find out I suppose.

I would go with a cheaper home model, or look for a used commercial unit as they are the only real upgrades to home lat machines.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    We have the Hoist unit but without the weight stack, I have had 300 lbs on it with no issues at all. In addition I was under the belief that the lower pulley added 50% compared to the upper one?

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The only true way to figure out if a piece of equipment is for you is to try it out. There are so many questions you will never had truly answered until you do a few reps.

As was stated, Hoist has a pretty good reputation in the fitness community. I've never liked the weight stack units for home workouts. It's an added expense that has limited use. When you get stronger than the 200lb stack you either have to get an attachment that adds more weight or buy a new unit. Not to mention the cost you save on a plate loaded model. Plate loaded is the best way to go for home use.

The link you gave says the unit's weight is 133lbs. That is about average for a good residential unit. Over the years I've found it necessary to bolt my plate loaded, 117lb lat pulldown to the floor.

O.K. got off the phone with Hoist engineers this morning. The brochure has a typo in the plate loaded weight capacity. It states 400lbs, which is correct for total machine capacity (includes the body weight of the user). So, if you were 200lbs then you could safely load 200lbs on the weight carriage. They also told me that they have tested the unit up to 6 x 45lb plates or 270lbs without failure. The low pulley is definitely a 50% resistance, there are no bolt holes in the bottom foot plate to bolt the unit down, and the diamond foot plating at the bottom pulley is meant to stand on, thus eluding to the possibility of doing belt squats, but not recommended for safety reasons.

Hope this helps!