G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up -=| Betancourt Big Blend (Vanilla Capuccino) |=-

Here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bcour/big-blend.html

Flavor: 1/5
    This stuff tastes pretty bad. I'm sorry to have to say it, but it just does not even come close to the majority of good tasting protein available today. It's like something out of the late ninties, maybe early 2000s. Smells like the protein powder section of an independent health food store. Taste is very chemical and lingers for fahking ever so you bette rhave some gum ready. The texture is sort of gummy and mucusy. Sorry Betancourt, but you should really look at re-flavoring.

Macros: 5/5

Let's see... 2g fat, 4g carb, 22g pro. That's within standard to me. I'm not all crazy over minor amounts in these macro ratios like some fools are.

Protein Blend: 3.5/5
    First, the casein phosphopeptides: apparently they can be used to remineralize teeth as well as to increase mineral absorption in the gut and bolster the immune system. That's cool. I really don't get why whey isolate was added given the fact that the blend already has milk protein and whey concentrate. Nor to I get the reason for rice protein.

The other stuff: 3.5/5

Okay, the major detraction here is the prop blending. But oh well. I like what's going on with the aminos, but I do not like seeing the ethyl esters or the methyl esters... that's just sloppy and unnecessary and not helping the flavor any. My guess was that you were going for solubility. Kinda cool to see some nitrates in here but is it enough to really do much? Donno. There can't be much rice bran in the blend considering there's 0g of fiber. It's nice to see enzymes, but I'd like to see some data on their stability. I really don't see what waxy maize or amylopectin have to do with digestive enzymes and the various gum were obviously just added for texture purposes.

Overall: 3/5
    I went into this really think I'd be giving a solid 4/5. But after I tasted this stuff and took a closer look at the prop blending... well, it speaks for itself. I've had much worse products in my time, but I've also had better.

I got nothing but love for Betancourt. For those interested, I say you go ahead and grab one of the smaller jugs and taste-test a flavor or two. Obviously this here review is not the final word on what looks to be a product with potential.

And a final word on the prop blend: assuming the aminos were not counted as protein, we can subtract the pro and cho from 32g, that gives us 6 grams of space with which to allot the additional stuff, which is plenty of room to have effective dosages of the various adjuncts.. especially if you're taking multiple servings per day.

So, that being said, I'm gonna have to try this for a while and report back on subjective effects.
    Last edited by G.W. Hayduke; 12-27-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Chill Will 33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    didn't you just buy a 5lber of this to?
    Inch by Inch is a Sinch

*MMC 4 life*

Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Crew

G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Chill Will 33 View Post
    didn't you just buy a 5lber of this to?
    twas gratis

kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Oh boy, sorry to hear you don't like it... Vanilla Capp is not my favorite, but is far from 1/5 IMO and most reviews agree. But as always, thanks for taking the time to do the write up. We do appreciate the feedback, positive or negative as it can be taken into mind when reformulating/formulating new products.

As far as the WPI isolate added to the blend, take a quick peak at almost any whey. They typically use WPC/WPI, and Betancourt followed suit. It helps to achieve a time released blend.

For the rice protein, it is added to involve another protein source in the blend and avoid soy. It's just another source to hit your macros with and get a better spread of aminos than when using one source.

Smile

Originally Posted by kfairhurst View Post
    Oh boy, sorry to hear you don't like it... Vanilla Capp is not my favorite, but is far from 1/5 IMO and most reviews agree. But as always, thanks for taking the time to do the write up. We do appreciate the feedback, positive or negative as it can be taken into mind when reformulating/formulating new products.

As far as the WPI isolate added to the blend, take a quick peak at almost any whey. They typically use WPC/WPI, and Betancourt followed suit. It helps to achieve a time released blend.

For the rice protein, it is added to involve another protein source in the blend and avoid soy. It's just another source to hit your macros with and get a better spread of aminos than when using one source.
    That's cool man. I can see how many people would like it better than me. I'm a fuggin impossible to please foodie.

But you know, most people don't buy supps for the flavor. Most guys are like, "Fukk it! I don't care how it tastes so long as it works." Well, for that crowd of iron addicts, I can say that Big Blend is a good supp. It's got multiple sources of protein, which is always good, and there is plenty of room left in the prop blend for the adjuncts to work well.

Like I said before though, I'll update later on to relate any particular effects I've noticed.

kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by G.W. Hayduke View Post
    That's cool man. I can see how many people would like it better than me. I'm a fuggin impossible to please foodie.

But you know, most people don't buy supps for the flavor. Most guys are like, "Fukk it! I don't care how it tastes so long as it works." Well, for that crowd of iron addicts, I can say that Big Blend is a good supp. It's got multiple sources of protein, which is always good, and there is plenty of room left in the prop blend for the adjuncts to work well.

Like I said before though, I'll update later on to relate any particular effects I've noticed.
    You were chosen for the 4 flavor review correct? If so, I'm looking forward to seeing if another flavor pleases your palate better. As far as the bad taste, I'm shocked and you shouldn't just drink it because it works. Maybe 10 years ago, but we've come along ways since then.

You were chosen for the 4 flavor review correct? If so, I'm looking forward to seeing if another flavor pleases your palate better. As far as the bad taste, I'm shocked and you shouldn't just drink it because it works. Maybe 10 years ago, but we've come along ways since then.
    lol... nah man, I'm drinking this **** till it's gone. Got about 5 pounds of it.

No, I was not part of the 4 flavor test.

btw, I'm pretty sure the nitrates are decently dosed. I definitely got a mild nitrate "head rush".

lol... nah man, I'm drinking this **** till it's gone. Got about 5 pounds of it.

No, I was not part of the 4 flavor test.

btw, I'm pretty sure the nitrates are decently dosed. I definitely got a mild nitrate "head rush".
    Damn... I wish I could do more for you, if I lived closer I would totally send you at the least samples of the other flavors. And the nitrates are definitely properly dosed, I can tell a difference in my BP and heart beat. I for one don't like drinking it pre-bed because of this.

Pre-workout meal of 1-2 scoops + carb source is full of win!

What else makes it a 1/5? After-taste, too sweet?? How did you mix it? I find something fishy with the texture issue as this has never been reported before.

Damn... I wish I could do more for you, if I lived closer I would totally send you at the least samples of the other flavors.

What else makes it a 1/5? After-taste, too sweet?? How did you mix it? I find something fishy with the texture issue as this has never been reported before.
    It's all good man, don't worry about. I'm not gonna go around trolling BC threads or anything.

Mixed it in plain water. The flavor reminds me of Dymatize whey. Too sweet, too chemical tasting, lingers way too long. And honestly, it didn't really even taste like cappuccino to me. It was more of a nondescript sweet vanilla-ish thing.

I hope this feedback will lead to another effort at flavoring, 'cause you definitely got a good formula on your hands. Tell the guys at the top to call Dave (srs).

drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interesting review, GW. I really like van capp, especially when I mix it, and let it sit in the fridge for a bit. You are right about the sweetness though. If sweet proteins aren't what you are looking for, then this is a pass. Luckily for Betancourt, there are guys out here who enjoy their flavoring.

blimp

Betancourt Juggernaut tatteredsaint's Avatar
    tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tatteredsaint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    wow I'm surprised u didn't care for it that's by far my favorite flavor but I suppose everyone's taste is bound to be different or we'd all be eating the same favorite foods
    one mind , one body, one chance to make it happen

Betancourt Nutrition Rep

http://www.betancourtnutrition.com

"The opinions expressed in my posts do not necessarily reflect those of Betancourt nutrition"

Originally Posted by tatteredsaint View Post
    wow I'm surprised u didn't care for it that's by far my favorite flavor but I suppose everyone's taste is bound to be different or we'd all be eating the same favorite foods
    very true

It's all good man, don't worry about. I'm not gonna go around trolling BC threads or anything.

Mixed it in plain water. The flavor reminds me of Dymatize whey. Too sweet, too chemical tasting, lingers way too long. And honestly, it didn't really even taste like cappuccino to me. It was more of a nondescript sweet vanilla-ish thing.

I hope this feedback will lead to another effort at flavoring, 'cause you definitely got a good formula on your hands. Tell the guys at the top to call Dave (srs).
    Lots of people have complained about how sweet it is, but not so much on the chemical taste... The protein is definitely best if you have a sweet tooth, because if you don't like sweet things you may need to pass this up.

We do have future flavors in the line, Chocolate or Chocolate PB will be next and it shall be great!

Originally Posted by drooks10 View Post
    Interesting review, GW. I really like van capp, especially when I mix it, and let it sit in the fridge for a bit. You are right about the sweetness though. If sweet proteins aren't what you are looking for, then this is a pass. Luckily for Betancourt, there are guys out here who enjoy their flavoring.

Most definitely, after competing I grew a massive sweet tooth. I enjoy my White Choco because it satisfies that craving, but if I didn't have a sweet tooth I would have a problem.

wiat

wat?

Thumbs up

After further taste tests I have come to a solution.

Betancourt, all you need to do to make Big Blend instantly better is reduce the sucralose content by, say, 15%. The negative factors in the taste of Big Blend stem mostly from it being overly sweet and chemical tasting which, in my own experiments with flavoring, stems often from an overabundance of sucralose.

So, in the next run, reduce the sucralose content. It'll improve the flavor of BB and save you a little money too.

Thumbs up

Bump for my good friend at Betancourt.