hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I'm 23, Female, US Army Officer...also want to bodybuild!

Hey everyone! Although new to this site, I'm not new to fitness...but new to the idea of bodybuilding. I have to maintain certain Army fitness standards, which have never been a problem for me but I want to do more. My original desire when I started lifting weights a month ago was to increase my pushup strength and power; however once I started lifting with a self-made program I became addicted to lifting and spending time at the gym.

I want to become a female bodybuilder/model someday, but I need some more help from people who understand my desire to lift to maximums I never thought possible and get in the best shape I can ever be in.

I am posting my current workout routine, which I've been following for a good month now. I also currently take Fish Oil, Whey, L-Glutamine and a 2xday multivitamin/mineral. I eat on average 5 meals a day, however sometimes depending on schedule I can only make 4 (but this is a rarity because I MAKE time).

I'm really excited about continuing and getting better. I appreciate any comments/critique, etc.
    Attached Files

velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I looked at your routine- I think you are trying to do too much. Weight training should be limited to about an hour a day (unless juicing! lol).
    How long does it take you to get thru one of those days?

Also, do officers do PT? That might conflict with what your training on a given day.
    "Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him."

hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) hickpuff is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes Officer's do PT, but it's so boring and usually just a mix of some cardio, pushup and situps nothing that I can't handle.

The routine(s) mentioned and on the given days usually only takes me an hour to do. Almost never longer than 60 minutes unless I find someone to talk to while I'm working out.

BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000) BBDF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Its good to see some officers on this fourm. You may want to try posting in the female section, they might be able to help you develop a routine better suited for a female bodybuilder. But here are some articles that may help.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...femaletraining

velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) velocityrob has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hickpuff View Post
    Yes Officer's do PT, but it's so boring and usually just a mix of some cardio, pushup and situps nothing that I can't handle.

The routine(s) mentioned and on the given days usually only takes me an hour to do. Almost never longer than 60 minutes unless I find someone to talk to while I'm working out.
    OK, good on both points.

Specifics about your movement selection-
    on chest day, you have military press. Thats a shoulder move. Delts, and tris.

Back day- you start with upright rows. Thats a shoulder move, and traps.

BTW- when do you train traps?

You ever do deadlifts? GREAT for upper back, traps. Romanian style also hits lower back and hams.

Thanks, I have been checking out the female articles a lot recently.

Since I've been with this routine for a month now, with a few switch ups here and there as far as reps/sets go, and finishing between 50-60 minutes I was curious if there was any reason to change things yet?

Originally Posted by velocityrob View Post
    OK, good on both points.

Specifics about your movement selection-
    on chest day, you have military press. Thats a shoulder move. Delts, and tris.

Back day- you start with upright rows. Thats a shoulder move, and traps.

BTW- when do you train traps?

You ever do deadlifts? GREAT for upper back, traps. Romanian style also hits lower back and hams.
    God I hate to say this, but I did a few workouts and incorporated dead lifts and just got scared of doing them...felt that I wasn't doing them "correctly" so I basically threw them out all together. Guess it's time to conquer that fear?!

Thanks, I have been checking out the female articles a lot recently.

Since I've been with this routine for a month now, with a few switch ups here and there as far as reps/sets go, and finishing between 50-60 minutes I was curious if there was any reason to change things yet?
    I have a set routine, but I usually tweak the order of moves each workout. That can be as simple and moving squat to last because the rack was occupied.

Small tweaks like changing reps- as you said- are easy fixes.

Personally I like to use a whole new routine every 4-6 weeks.
    Pair different muscles together. Anything to keep it fresh and your muscles confused.

God I hate to say this, but I did a few workouts and incorporated dead lifts and just got scared of doing them...felt that I wasn't doing them "correctly" so I basically threw them out all together. Guess it's time to conquer that fear?!
    Wellll......you don't want this to be an easy journey do you?

One more-
    Your supps look good. I would only suggest adding joint support. Running, and lifting, will take a toll. Joint support is cheap insurance.

SportPharma Joint-V has the basics, and is very low cost.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sport/jointv.html
    Last edited by velocityrob; 12-27-2008 at 04:07 PM.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey everyone! Although new to this site, I'm not new to fitness...but new to the idea of bodybuilding. I have to maintain certain Army fitness standards, which have never been a problem for me but I want to do more. My original desire when I started lifting weights a month ago was to increase my pushup strength and power; however once I started lifting with a self-made program I became addicted to lifting and spending time at the gym.

I want to become a female bodybuilder/model someday, but I need some more help from people who understand my desire to lift to maximums I never thought possible and get in the best shape I can ever be in.

I am posting my current workout routine, which I've been following for a good month now. I also currently take Fish Oil, Whey, L-Glutamine and a 2xday multivitamin/mineral. I eat on average 5 meals a day, however sometimes depending on schedule I can only make 4 (but this is a rarity because I MAKE time).

I'm really excited about continuing and getting better. I appreciate any comments/critique, etc.
    You just started lifting weights so why not start at the beginning with a beginners program?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 Simple beginner's routine

Wellll......you don't want this to be an easy journey do you?

One more-
    Your supps look good. I would only suggest adding joint support. Running, and lifting, will take a toll. Joint support is cheap insurance.

SportPharma Joint-V has the basics, and is very low cost.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sport/jointv.html
    Oh, forgot to mention in my first post...I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin+MSM in addition to the other supps. I've been taking this for a while, it's a must!

Oh, forgot to mention in my first post...I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin+MSM in addition to the other supps. I've been taking this for a while, it's a must!
    heh heh- my work here is done.

Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=hickpuff;265201511]I'm 23, Female, US Army Officer...also want to bodybuild!
    QUOTE]

Quite possibly the most attractive thing I've ever heard.

Sorry, had to say it. As far as the routine goes, it sounds great. Just remember that you need to try and continue to add weight to make gains-if you get to the point where you feel "too bulky" or dont want to add more size, go for higher reps/lighter weight to feel the burn.

otherwise,soudns like you're off to a great start, just make sure to keep your diet in check
    One Word: STAND.

Personal Trainer/Marathon Trainer/Wrestling Coach

[QUOTE=Lonewolf24;265219561]
    I'm 23, Female, US Army Officer...also want to bodybuild!
    QUOTE]

Quite possibly the most attractive thing I've ever heard.

Sorry, had to say it. As far as the routine goes, it sounds great. Just remember that you need to try and continue to add weight to make gains-if you get to the point where you feel "too bulky" or dont want to add more size, go for higher reps/lighter weight to feel the burn.

otherwise,soudns like you're off to a great start, just make sure to keep your diet in check
    My diet has always been something that I've taken pride in...I rarely cheat and I NEVER drink soda. I've also cut back significantly on my alcohol intake, although never been a problem either.

So you're mentioning "making gains", does that mean cutting back on my sets & reps and adding weight? Or continuing with the the 3x8-10 and adding weight only when I can perform that amount in that set/rep frame?

Increase the weight you use to keep yourself in the 8-10 rep range.
    First comes strength, then size.

You will not become 'big and bulky' overnight. It just does not work that way. Use the mirror as a judge. You'll find some parts that grow faster than others and some will lag. You might find you only need to train quads every other week, but calves need 3 workouts a week.

Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

You will not become 'big and bulky' overnight. It just does not work that way. Use the mirror as a judge. You'll find some parts that grow faster than others and some will lag. You might find you only need to train quads every other week, but calves need 3 workouts a week.
    exactly-some bodypartsthat lag might need much more workouts per week than the "easy to grow" parts.

And yes, keep the same rep range and when you hit all of your reps, u the weight and go for the same reps-when you up the weight you might not get the same amount of reps (i.e. 8) right away, but once you can hit those reps (i.e. 8) again, you up the weight again, and keep that pattern
    One Word: STAND.

Personal Trainer/Marathon Trainer/Wrestling Coach

excellent advice, i appreciate it!

The single BEST thing I've done to help my workouts is keep a log.
    Every exercise, set, rep and weight gets noted.

This helps a few ways. I never have to guess what weight I should use for a given exercise- I just look at last week and go a little heavier.
    And even if I can't see progress in the mirror, its there on paper.

(New Years is a great time to start a new log!)

The single BEST thing I've done to help my workouts is keep a log.
    Every exercise, set, rep and weight gets noted.

This helps a few ways. I never have to guess what weight I should use for a given exercise- I just look at last week and go a little heavier.
    And even if I can't see progress in the mirror, its there on paper.

(New Years is a great time to start a new log!)
    Just started my log today. Can't wait to SEE the progress both on paper and physically!