CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000)

How to recover (from soreness) quicker?

When I workout on legs, I find myself sore for 4-5 days. This sucks since I do a lot of cardio like running. What things should I do to recover quickly? Drink more water? Stretch often?

Also, is it a bad idea to run if my legs are sore?
    Thanks.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CaliforniaKing View Post
    When I workout on legs, I find myself sore for 4-5 days. This sucks since I do a lot of cardio like running. What things should I do to recover quickly? Drink more water? Stretch often?

Thanks.
    Some soreness is perfectly normal. However, if it's excessive then you might need to re-evaluate something with your training, diet, and priorities.

On top of a sound diet and a solid pre & post workout nutrition plan, including proper hydration, carbs, & protein [carnitine, vinegar, systemic enzymes, EAAs, creatine, Glutamine are other last resort possiblities]. you may need to reassess your training volume/intensity vs. frequency - depending on how many days are between successive bouts, you may be ending up "too recovered" OR the training load [volume and intensity] is too high overall keeping you from recovering properly. I've found that working a muscle group 2x per week has done more for keeping DOMs managable than anything.

Dynamic stretching and proper warmups before workouts and and static / extreme stretching after workouts may help.

A foam roller, some light stretching, self-massage and easy cardio can help after the fact.

Only you can judge what would be appropriate based upon the level of soreness and the cardio session parameters [duration, intensity, etc...]. Although, active recovery level & duration activity can work to your advantage if it doesn't represent an additional training load - loosen your muscles up some, increase blood flow... add some stretching in after too.
    Last edited by in10city; 12-27-2008 at 02:16 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    stretch sleep diet. i find that even though i can crippled if i just run it out i eventually get over it.
    behind every great woman...is a man checking out her arse

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing & saying booya

If at first you don't succeed you're not Chuck Norris

When Chuck Norris wants an egg he cracks open a chicken

DH87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stretch For Sure...But Take A Hot Ass Bath, It Helps Me And I Run 6 Days A Week

izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) izzylicious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    mm , just do like 3/4 hour of cycling before leg training , it used to happen to me , now it never does and i am able to lift more.

Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xform1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks.
    One word - Creatine!

MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tai chi
    🎄Mods changed my sig. ™Copyright ©2003 - 2005- 2017. All Rights Reserved. Uncle penis™ is a registered trademark of MinisterOfLust.

gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gettinfit26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have the same problem. Surprised no one has mentioned glutamine. Great supplement that with regular use can help reduce fatigue and sorness.

I have also tried to only lift about 75% of max for 6-8 reps and then a few days later do a few really light sets and this has helped the past few weeks.
    I should not be in RED. I made mistake of going to political forum and not agreeing with everybody. Bunch of pussies in there.

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks.

Stretch IMMEDIATELY after your workout.
    Low intensity cardio for about 20mins following the stretching. (even an hour later)
    Have some heat rub handy.
    Save the next day as a rest day.
    Make sure your Protein intake is where it should be the day after training.
    Do some more low intensity cardio, 30mins or so the day after rest day.

djo269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drink lots of water. Get good sleep. Stretch whenever possible.

Also try wearing sweatpants to bed. Keeps the legs warmer for better bloodflow.

CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks everyone...great tips all around!

nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50) nesse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i run everyday and have very little soreness. what helps me is:

-protein (15-25g) before and after

-1-2 scoops xtend or purple wrath before and after (helped especially when i first started and my body wasnt used to running yet)

-warm-up and light stretch before (ankle rotations, knee rotations, hip rotations, then jog for 2 mins, then stretch calves, hams, and quads, then start your run)

-stretching after (calves, ham, quads, and glutes)

i do 8 miles a day without any soreness. i actually ran out of xtend a while ago so i think its the protein thats helping now (tho xtend/PW is really good in the beginning). GL!

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by djo269 View Post
    Also try wearing sweatpants to bed. Keeps the legs warmer for better bloodflow.

Thats a good idea, will try it.

Although its summer in Australia now, I think we're all warm enough at night LOLZ

x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000)
    Glutamine Before and During! I used to always be sore and since I have been doing this I feel good almost always. I would suggest getting some SciVaction Xtend.

csrichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    look for muscle injury on google scholar and there will be some reliable information for your interest.

From one of the review articles i read:

the most effective way to reduce muscle soreness is by doing some reps at your maximum weight. (look up repeated bout effect). To my understanding, this enables your muscle recruit more motor units and spreads out the tension. THere was one study that had individuals doing some reps at their maximum weight and then having them run hills. It seemed to protect those individuals from muscle injury.

Note that using weights at 50% maximum does not seem to provide the protective effect.

In turns of supplements, the results are conflicting and one that shows some positive effect is l-carntine.

note that, a lot of HBM claims are based on studies done with untrained individuals and that creatine does not seem to reduce muscle injury although it does give you faster lean weight gain and thus strength gain. Protein + carb diet is the same as that of creatine, it does not seem to aid in muscle recovery but it does aid muscle growth.

Sorry about the lack of reference, I do not feel like going through all the trouble in looking for the original article but if anyone is interested in the original article, PM me and i'll try to find the article link.
    Last edited by csrichie; 12-28-2008 at 12:45 AM.

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    cold showers after exercise and increasing BCAA supplementation always seem to help.
    I remember my judo coach recommending vinegar to help with the soreness.

edit:
    light running/walking (i.e. low intensity exercises) or gpp has shown to help in recovery.
    so yea, running is alright if ur legs are sore.