bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Are fruits bad to eat before sleeping?

Is eating fruits before going to bed a bad idea for someone who is trying to obtain a strong/lean body? I often eat bananas or grapes before sleeping. Should I be avoiding fruits before bed due to their sugar content? If so, what other late night snacks do you recommend? Thanks

dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100) dempsey_124 is not very well liked. (-100)
    i dont really see a probelm with that. maybe eat them hour or 2 hours before u go to bed. or eat them wen u first wake up to give ur body quick energy

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good god, am I sick of people asking if they should eat fruit or not...

Not to blow up on you, specifically, but fruit is good for you! Maybe some Keto fanatics will tell you it's bad mojo because it destroys their strange, unnatural diets, but any sensible person will tell you it's fine.

And I'm aware you're not asking in general whether or not you should eat it, but whether or not you should eat it before bed. Either way. No one gets fat from fruit.

Eat the f--king fruit.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10) sakofan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No problem. At the end of the day, it's calories in vs. calories burned, it doesn't matter if it is from fruit or not. Besides, the viatamins and falvonoids in fruit can still do their thing during the body's downtime.

bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mr.Runner View Post
    Good god, am I sick of people asking if they should eat fruit or not...

Not to blow up on you, specifically, but fruit is good for you! Maybe some Keto fanatics will tell you it's bad mojo because it destroys their strange, unnatural diets, but any sensible person will tell you it's fine.

And I'm aware you're not asking in general whether or not you should eat it, but whether or not you should eat it before bed. Either way. No one gets fat from fruit.

Eat the f--king fruit.

I'm not asking if it's okay to eat fruit, as I'm going to eat fruit regardless. I'm asking if eating fruit before bed is a bad choice due to the sugar content. Should it be avoided late at night? If so, what are some better late night alternatives?

Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Born2Grow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bluechipm3 View Post
    I'm not asking if it's okay to eat fruit, as I'm going to eat fruit regardless. I'm asking if eating fruit before bed is a bad choice due to the sugar content.
    WHY THE **** WOULD IT MATTER IF ITS BEFORE BED?
    Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111135351

"I dont got abs... so how do I do an ab pose? just let my gut hang?" - Davidthefat

Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm not asking if it's okay to eat fruit, as I'm going to eat fruit regardless. I'm asking if eating fruit before bed is a bad choice due to the sugar content. Should it be avoided late at night? If so, what are some better late night alternatives?
    If you read past the first line, I said that I recognized you weren't asking whether or not your should eat fruit at ALL.

Fruit won't make you fat. Eat it.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

Mr.Runner, I just came across the following...which seems to directly contradict your opinion.

"Tim
    It's not that carbs immediately before bed will automatically make you fat, but the higher insulin levels brough about by carbs will lessen the body's release of growth hormone while sleeping. So it's best to have a protein/fat meal before bed. "

"Painkiller
    if cutting i think fruits,and generally carbs,before bed are not a good choice.I would suggest to eat oats,fruit etc at breakfast or post-workout(up to 4 hours after working out).all the other times try to eat only veggies and protein/fat.Of course an apple won't kill you,but it's not a good choice"

There seems to be differing opinions on this subject, and I'm simply trying to hear from a variety of people so that I can make the most educated decision. Your opinion on this matter could certainly be correct, but your condescending attitude is completely unnecessary.

Fruit does not raise your insulin levels high, or fast.

In fact they're recommended to be eaten on the "undereating" phase of the Warrior Diet because they accomplish this very thing; as in, not raising your blood sugar high enough so that when it lowers the feeling of hunger isn't prounounced.

Contrast this when you drink a soda or take in anything very sweet; blood glucose soars, then drops, and the difference is felt through an intense desire to put ANYTHING in you to stabilize your blood sugar.

And I'm sorry if I'm appearing condescending. This question just gets asked an awful lot, and the idea that an apple would wind up being subbed for 4 egg whites, or something, just because someone is unreasonably concerned that fruit will sabotage a part of their diet is a bit perplexing.
    Last edited by Mr.Runner; 12-23-2008 at 02:28 PM.

-Henry David Thoreau

Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm sorry, but I had to login just to point out how hilarious it was when Mr. Runner said

"Eat the ****ing fruit."

Perhaps I'm just easily amused right now, but that was classic.
    Potential failure is a small price to pay for the potential of what you could gain if you try.

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There seems to be differing opinions on this subject, and I'm simply trying to hear from a variety of people so that I can make the most educated decision.
    You know what they say about opinions...

Also, good luck at making an "educated" decision based on peoples' unsubstantiated opinions.
    No sir, I don't like it.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    There seems to be differing opinions on this subject, and I'm simply trying to hear from a variety of people so that I can make the most educated decision. Your opinion on this matter could certainly be correct, but your condescending attitude is completely unnecessary.
    I once had a fruit before bed. To my shock and awe, I woke up the next day and found that I turned into a fruit! Right now I'm just one big banana, and I have no regrets.

kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kache_98 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    I once had a fruit before bed. To my shock and awe, I woke up the next day and found that I turned into a fruit! Right now I'm just one big banana, and I have no regrets.
    +1 /popcorn

Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    It might be smart to avoid having sugar directly before bed if you're trying to lose bodyfat. Have it earlier in the day. Don't neglect your fruits either way.

broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broncorock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It would be more beneficial to add some cottage cheese in with your fruit. It is good to have that slow digesting protein before bed since your essentially fasting through the night it will protect the muscle. The reason people are against fruit before bed is that while you are asleep you are burning just enough calories to stay alive, therefore the carbs get stored as glucose which will turn to fat.
    Last edited by broncorock; 12-23-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    This isn't F@&$ing Survivor, we don't vote people off, we beat 'em off....O sh#* did i just say that? -Dana White, UFC Prez

Don't give up, don't EVER give up!!! - Jimmy V

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Disenfranchised View Post
    It might be smart to avoid having sugar directly before bed if you're trying to lose bodyfat. Have it earlier in the day. Don't neglect your fruits either way.
    Yeah, true dat. The fat storage fairies come out right before bedtime, just WAITING for some sugar to enter your system.

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have some fruit every night before bed, it's tasty.
    ENCLAVE
    Fitness & Nutrition
    CISSN
    CSCS
    CF-L1

Cyclist, Sprinter, Foodie.

diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diebreezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Before bedtime you should eat food full of protein like cottage cheese. It will supply your body with protein for about 4-6 hours (correct me if I'm wrong). 200 grams of cottage cheese has 36g of protein. It's one of the best solutions for before bedtime meal. Also you can take MHP Probolic SR which has 12 hour supply of protein. Only I think it's more expensive then cottage cheese. Fruits also are full of fast carbs which you don't need before bed. Also one banana wont hurt so suit yourself.
    Friends may come and go but 200 pounds always is 200 pounds/Henry Rollins

Originally Posted by broncorock View Post
    It would be more beneficial to add some cottage cheese in with your fruit. It is good to have that slow digesting protein before bed since your essentially fasting through the night it will protect the muscle. The reason people are against fruit before bed is that while you are asleep you are burning just enough calories to stay alive, therefore the carbs get stored as glucose which will turn to fat.

Mmm...broscience...

And disenfranchised, lumping all sweet fruits together as things containing "sugar" misses the fact that all sugar is not made the same. Each has different rates of digestion and insulin response. Fruit, with it's fiber, water content, and fructose, digests slowly and doesn't spike insulin.

And I chuckle at the ridiculous protein recommendations I sometimes see, like people routinely downing a 6-12 eggs whites before bed, not knowing that most of it's going to be turned to glucose anyway while they sleep.

Not saying that protein before bed isn't good, but overzealous amounts does not equal better "muscle breakdown protection", or whatever.

-Henry David Thoreau

Originally Posted by broncorock View Post
    The reason people are against fruit before bed is that while you are asleep you are burning just enough calories to stay alive, therefore the carbs get stored as glucose which will turn to fat.
    Nevermind the fact that resting metabolic processes burn roughly 400-700 calories during sleep. People preaching against fruit before bed are accidentally bull****ting themselves and those around them.

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is Terry Baldwin, inventor of the Flexsolate straps:

Per the Jan 09' issue of Ironman, his last meal every day (around 9:00pm) includes fruit & berries. I'd say its working for him...
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BuckSpin View Post
    I'd say its working for him...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority

Don't fight bull**** with more bull****...
    No sir, I don't like it.

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, true dat. The fat storage fairies come out right before bedtime, just WAITING for some sugar to enter your system.
    lmao....alan for the win!

SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I know somebody and they ate fruit right at bedtime and oh my god they are so fat like overnight fat and stuff fatty fatty 2x4 like that kind of fat.

Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At first I was like this:

Then one night, because there was nothing else in the fridge, I ate fruit before bed and now I look like this:

Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

-Thomas Edison

harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) harlan100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    True stuff
    "The worst thing you can be is average"

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/transt42.htm

Brits! Go to Myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP39245 For 5% off your order

Fruit gives you the Diabeetus.

-Henry David Thoreau

coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100) coconutcracker is not very well liked. (-100)

So many people talk BULLS**T

I don't know if some of you are taking steroids and that's why your brains are fried, but who ever says that eating fruit before bed has any effect on one's diet is a dumb mother f@c#3r!!!

Put cheese/cottage with your fruit?! WHAT THE F@c# are you talking about??!! If anything adds fat to your body is milk products, ESPECIALLY CHEESE! Maybe you wanna eat that before bed for the natural anesthetist substance it has, but not for protein nor anything else! There's controversy in that matter, although its not popular knowledge, milk is actually bad for you anyways especially cheese!

Mr.Runner obviously knows what he's talking about, so eat the f***ing fruit and stop worrying about it! Its probably the best snack you can have before bed, unless, you don't!

Jansen_Ongko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jansen_Ongko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jansen_Ongko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jansen_Ongko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jansen_Ongko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jansen_Ongko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jansen_Ongko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coconutcracker View Post
    I don't know if some of you are taking steroids and that's why your brains are fried, but who ever says that eating fruit before bed has any effect on one's diet is a dumb mother f@c#3r!!!

Put cheese/cottage with your fruit?! WHAT THE F@c# are you talking about??!! If anything adds fat to your body is milk products, ESPECIALLY CHEESE! Maybe you wanna eat that before bed for the natural anesthetist substance it has, but not for protein nor anything else! There's controversy in that matter, although its not popular knowledge, milk is actually bad for you anyways especially cheese!

Mr.Runner obviously knows what he's talking about, so eat the f***ing fruit and stop worrying about it! Its probably the best snack you can have before bed, unless, you don't!
    Wow bro, take it easy. That's a 3 years old thread and I believe OP already understand the "secret" LOL