Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Breakfast: Humour me

Which of the following would be a better breakfast substance to consume:

Option A:

500 calories
    10 grams of fat
    40 grams of protein
    59 grams of carbs
    GI: 32

Option B:

500 calories
    10 grams of fat
    75 grams of carbohydrates
    16.8 grams of protein
    GI: 50

It seems clear to me which option is better, am I right in thinking that (given the same amount of calories of both) option A will be better for A) Fat loss, B) Muscle Preservation, C) Much lower GI.

Now when you take note that option A is 500 calories worth of light milk where as option B is 500 calories worth of oats, why do people insist on eating oats each morning rather than the equivelant, seemingly better, alternative of just milk?

Thanks for any input.
    "Testosterone levels peak during a man's late 20's but decline soon after, decreasing about 1.5 percent per year after age 30. "

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

!!!+052 kcab per lliW

My power is over 9000 RachelBringIt's Avatar
    RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think 150 cals of oats is a much better option, then add in egg whites, protein powder and whatever else you want, i like PB.

No hate towards 500 cals of milk, except youll have some major gas
    [Stickam Crǝw]

"A taste for truth at any cost is a passion which spares nothing." - Albert Camus

Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RachelBringIt View Post
    i think 150 cals of oats is a much better option, then add in egg whites, protein powder and whatever else you want, i like PB.

No hate towards 500 cals of milk, except youll have some major gas
    Yeah, i agree 500 calories of oats is ridiculous, but it is a theoretical value (chosen so i could compare both macro's by having the same amount - obviously + or - amounts to suit but i just wanted to compare the macros).
    "Testosterone levels peak during a man's late 20's but decline soon after, decreasing about 1.5 percent per year after age 30. "

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

!!!+052 kcab per lliW

Detoxing from Life martina92685's Avatar
    martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You'll be fuller longer with 500 cals of oats. In fact, I dont even think I could eat 500 cals of oats in one sitting without puking.
    - Damnit. I got fat again. Brb: picking up the pieces and burning my excuses. -

tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by Grinners View Post
    Which of the following would be a better breakfast substance to consume:

Option A:

500 calories
    10 grams of fat
    40 grams of protein
    59 grams of carbs
    GI: 32

Option B:

500 calories
    10 grams of fat
    75 grams of carbohydrates
    16.8 grams of protein
    GI: 50

It seems clear to me which option is better, am I right in thinking that (given the same amount of calories of both) option A will be better for A) Fat loss, B) Muscle Preservation, C) Much lower GI.

Now when you take note that option A is 500 calories worth of light milk where as option B is 500 calories worth of oats, why do people insist on eating oats each morning rather than the equivelant, seemingly better, alternative of just milk?

Thanks for any input.
    i think A) more protein to raise amino acid pools in the blood. as far as losing or gaining weight that has nothing to do with marco ratios that are present above, but more to do with calorie intake for you daily activitys that will determine wether one loses or gain mass.

just my pennies
    Hard work pays off.Lift big or go home :)
    PART OF THE RANTER BOYZ CLUB
    nothin but a peanut. yo buddyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
    my stats page[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=531985[/url]

Bump for other responses

!!!+052 kcab per lliW

Must....Keep....Eating! scotchy's Avatar
    scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scotchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I say go for both...1000 calories FTW!

Actually 300 calories from oats and 200 from 2 and a bit cups of skim milk would be my choice given a 500cal cap.

I'm curious to hear some "more enlightened" responses too.
    Personally I like milk...easy calories...just hate the bloat that often comes with it.

wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my breadfast look like this:
    100g oat
    500ml milk
    2 eggs
    1 small apple
    2 tbsp PB

around 900kcal, biggest meal of the day, then i train

note: i am just 143pds

Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
    I say go for both...1000 calories FTW!

Actually 300 calories from oats and 200 from 2 and a bit cups of skim milk would be my choice given a 500cal cap.

I'm curious to hear some "more enlightened" responses too.
    Personally I like milk...easy calories...just hate the bloat that often comes with it.
    But the thing is... why not just go for option A twice?

If it is better, as it seems to be in virtually every way, why the insistance on oats for breakfast by virtually everyone in nutrition?

!!!+052 kcab per lliW

Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Banyans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by martina92685 View Post
    You'll be fuller longer with 500 cals of oats. In fact, I dont even think I could eat 500 cals of oats in one sitting without puking.
    I could in fact I did this morning... I can confirm I feel very full.

BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrendanJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Without knowing what source each comes from, I would pick option A.

If it is better, as it seems to be in virtually every way, why the insistance on oats for breakfast by virtually everyone in nutrition?
    However knowing one's a liquid and the others a solid may (obviously everyone has different opinions) answer your question. I personally prefer solids to satisfy my hunger and yes the oats/eggs breakfast seems to be very popular around here. Having oats not only satisfys my hunger but when consumed with eggs makes for a balanced meal with very good and healthy sources of protein/carbs/fats to start the day.. nothing against milk, just for me I'd rather eat my calories then drink it.

StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    slightly OT, how much oats do you guys have for breakfast? 100g? 200g? and how much milk do you have with it too?

generally i have 'scoops' of 60g of oats with 250 ml of milk and usually go for about 120/180 g. how bout you lot?

wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wheylover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StylesOfBeyond View Post
    slightly OT, how much oats do you guys have for breakfast? 100g? 200g? and how much milk do you have with it too?

generally i have 'scoops' of 60g of oats with 250 ml of milk and usually go for about 120/180 g. how bout you lot?
    100g oat+500ml milk, mixed together with 2tbsp PB

BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenchRat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i had like 1250 cals this morning, your all makin me feel like a fat ass lol
    ~The most destructive element in the human mind is fear. Fear creates aggressiveness.~

"Ey, Boris... What would you do, if I told you, your pinko commie mother sucked so much d*ck that her face looked like an egg!"- DDR

PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhobosWebDev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The carbs in milk are from the sugar Lactose which your body cannot digest completely. Where as the carbs in oats are slow digesting carbs which will help you out through out the day.
    De Novo Lipogenesis

Life is Simple, make choices and don't look back.

blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Breakfast: Humour me
    An old couple celebrates their 50th wedding anniversary in their home.

"Just think," the old man says, "we were sitting here at this same breakfast table, naked as jaybirds, 50 years ago."

"Well," the old lady snickers, "what do you say -- should we get naked?"

The two immediately strip to the buff and sit back down at the table. "You know, honey," the little old lady says slyly, "My breasts burn for you now as they did 50 years ago."

"I'm not surprised," replies the old man. "One's in your coffee and the other is in your oatmeal!"
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man

Steroids- a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

Originally Posted by PhobosWebDev View Post
    The carbs in milk are from the sugar Lactose which your body cannot digest completely. Where as the carbs in oats are slow digesting carbs which will help you out through out the day.
    Hmm, well as it can be seen, milk has a significantly lower GI than oats, so the carbs in milk (lactose/sugar) will last longer throughout the day than the carbs in oats.

!!!+052 kcab per lliW

So not a single person in here can tell me why 'nutritionally' oats are better than milk alone as a breakfast... (except for lactose intolerant people) yet everyone chooses to eat them...???

!!!+052 kcab per lliW

Citius, Altius, Fortius Olympique's Avatar
    Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can haz bof?

But if I must choose, I'll take the milk. I've had breakfasts with like 300 calories coming from dairy anyway.
    Ultimate goal: to engage in a healthy lifestyle which I can sustain and enjoy for
    the rest of my existence. No "diets", no "cycles". Just constantly improve.

Let no one persuade you by word or deed to do or say whatever is not best for you.

keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) keels141 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It shouldn't be a question of which food is 'better', both foods have positives in terms of vitamins/minerals/good fats etc. and contribute to a healthy diet overall.

The GI measurements are pretty useless in your comparison anyway because it doesn't take into account combining P/C/F which affects absorption rate or the fact that protein can elevate insulin levels as much as carbs can. Also, a food on the Glycemic Index will not necessarily correlate with its rating on the Insulin Index, which is what GI is supposed to measure.
    ***Trapped on prison island crew***

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    if u r saying milk is better cuz lower GI and higher protein, than why not just eat Whey isolate
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PhobosWebDev View Post
    No everyone is lactose intolerant. And lactose is slower digesting than oats. The GI above could have told you that.
    I want to touch the butt.

Citius, Altius, Fortius Olympique's Avatar
    Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Olympique is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    if u r saying milk is better cuz lower GI and higher protein, than why not just eat Whey isolate
    I think that's what some people in these forums would like to do.
    Ultimate goal: to engage in a healthy lifestyle which I can sustain and enjoy for
    the rest of my existence. No "diets", no "cycles". Just constantly improve.

Let no one persuade you by word or deed to do or say whatever is not best for you.