Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to differentiate between slipped disk and regular lower back pain?

I started to have lower back pain on Wednesday morning. I am not certain how it came about as I did not lift anything that day nor did I the day before. It started out sort of sore then as the day progressed, got a lot more sore.

Today is Saturday and my lower back pain is still here, at or around the same level of pain.

It gets really sore after I lay down and try to get up.

I'll be honest, it seems like my muscles have frozen up or something. I had a hard time wiping my ass lol.

The pain does not radiate throughout my legs.

I do feel it right at my lower back and sometimes in the upper area of my buttocks.

Would this indicate a slipped disk or just a regular sprain/muscle pull?

supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) supergaijin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'd get it checked out dude.

When I worked in a supermarket, buddy of mine picked up a pack of pork (yeah, a ****ing packet of pork), and had slipped a disk in his lower back. Needed physiotherapy for 3 months, then just gradually faded the pain away.

**** happens, I guess.

HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Regular LBP is going to be presented as more diffuse/widespread/chronic. If you have a slipped disc it is going to be very regional specific (i.e. L3-L4). The thing is about IV discs is that if they do indeed herniate out, they have to make contact with a surrounding spinal nerve before the pain is felt (central component of the disc lacks nerve innervation). If the slipped disc is the case you will likely notice a very specific regional pain for that specific spinal nerve (Radiculopathy).

Your case appears to resemble overly stretched LB muscles unless you have more info. The Erector Spinae originate from the buttocks area (Iliac Crest) so the pain you are experiencing is normal.
    Last edited by HighRevinSi; 12-21-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    Bachelor and Master of Exercise Science at Miami University

Doctorate of Physical Therapy Student at Jefferson College of Health Professions

Stayin' Shredded is what I do

Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just Scrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HighRevinSi View Post
    Regular LBP is going to be presented as more diffuse/widespread/chronic. If you have a slipped disc it is going to be very regional specific (i.e. L3-L4). The thing is about IV discs is that if they do indeed herniate out, they have to make contact with a surrounding spinal nerve before the pain is felt (central component of the disc lacks nerve innervation). If the slipped disc is the case you will likely notice a very specific regional pain for that specific spinal nerve (Radiculopathy).

Your case appears to resemble overly stretched LB muscles unless you have more info. The Erector Spinae originate from the buttocks area (Iliac Crest) so the pain you are experiencing is normal.
    The only other thing I can add is that I went to my Christmas party and sat down for a while. Afterwards it seems like the muscles in my middle back seems to have forgotten what to do. Like I had to walk with my back arched.

My back has slightly, very slightly gotten better since last night. If my back is still sore, I am going to my doctor tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help.

Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikazagreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should know if it's muscle sore, slipped disk is more like needle pain comes from the very end of ur lower back muscle.

HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50) HighRevinSi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Just Scrap View Post
    The only other thing I can add is that I went to my Christmas party and sat down for a while. Afterwards it seems like the muscles in my middle back seems to have forgotten what to do. Like I had to walk with my back arched.

My back has slightly, very slightly gotten better since last night. If my back is still sore, I am going to my doctor tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help.
    If you are walking hunched over in the mid-back region it is a typical compensation for LBP. Reason being that when you are hunched forward you actually increase the diameter for the nerves/arteries/veins in the Lumbar region to pass between vertebrae; this is a compensation for inflammation. Keep us posted on the doc's verdict
    Bachelor and Master of Exercise Science at Miami University

Doctorate of Physical Therapy Student at Jefferson College of Health Professions

Stayin' Shredded is what I do

paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    back pain can be from muscle spasm, or disc problem. The rehab is similar. Work on posture, flexibility, esp. hamstring flexibility.g Avoid doing things like excess sitting, or lifting with poor form.

LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just had disc surgery (L5-S1 Herniated disc) 1 wk ago. If its severe you would have pain down your leg(s). Most likely you hit a lift wrong or could even have slept wrong. May try to hit it with some Ice and Heat. Back pains are common and probably some of the worst. Thing is they never like to go away fast...
    "Variety is the Spice of Life"

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Just Scrap View Post
    I started to have lower back pain on Wednesday morning. I am not certain how it came about as I did not lift anything that day nor did I the day before. It started out sort of sore then as the day progressed, got a lot more sore.

Today is Saturday and my lower back pain is still here, at or around the same level of pain.

It gets really sore after I lay down and try to get up.

I'll be honest, it seems like my muscles have frozen up or something. I had a hard time wiping my ass lol.

The pain does not radiate throughout my legs.

I do feel it right at my lower back and sometimes in the upper area of my buttocks.

Would this indicate a slipped disk or just a regular sprain/muscle pull?
    1. No such thing as a slipped disc, so it cannot be one

2. Can it be a mild injury to the disc or ligamentous strucures? Most probably.

Have you tired ice or anti-inflammatory medication?

Also try these:
    http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/eppsg/page8.phtml
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Fresch View Post
    1. No such thing as a slipped disc, so it cannot be one

2. Can it be a mild injury to the disc or ligamentous strucures? Most probably.

Have you tired ice or anti-inflammatory medication?

Also try these:
    http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/eppsg/page8.phtml
    there is such a thing as a slipped disc it's just the more common term for a herniated disc.

Slipped disc is the common name for the medical terms 'prolapsed' or 'herniated' disc.

A slipped disc most commonly occurs in people who are between 30 and 50 years of age. The condition affects twice as many men than women. Although back pain is a common problem for adults over the age of 30, a slipped disc is the cause of less than one in 20 cases of sudden back pain. Most back pain is the result of a muscle or ligament strain.

What are discs?

The discs you have in your back are protective, circular pads of cartilage (connective tissue) that lie in between the bones of your spine (vertebrae). The discs are responsible for cushioning the vertebrae when you jump or run. The discs are made from a tough, fibrous case, which contains a softer, gel-like substance.

The spinal cord is a collection of nerve fibres that are attached to the brain, and are protected by the spine. Nerve fibres from the spinal cord pass between the vertebrae, and take and receive messages to and from different parts of the body.

What is a slipped disc?

A slipped disc occurs when the outer part of your disc ruptures, allowing the gel inside to bulge and protrude outwards from in between your vertebrae. The damaged disc can put pressure on your whole spinal cord or on a single nerve fibre. This means that a slipped disc can cause pain both in the area of the protruding disc and in any part of your body that is controlled by the nerve the disc is pressing on.

A slipped disc occurs most frequently in your lower back, but any disc can rupture, including those in your upper back and neck.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Slipped...hat-is-it.aspx
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

I went to my GP and he did a few physical tests on me and informed me that it is a strain. He said if it doesn't get better in two weeks come back. Otherwise it looks like a strain.

It has gotten better since Saturday.

heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) heroman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Back pain is a really scare thing, it will literally cripple you. Go to a decent doctor and get it checked out.

Originally Posted by heroman View Post
    Back pain is a really scare thing, it will literally cripple you. Go to a decent doctor and get it checked out.
    Thanks. I went to my doctor and he said it's just a strain. I already feel way better. I need to work on strengthening my back and core though.

dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    there is such a thing as a slipped disc it's just the more common term for a herniated disc.

Slipped disc is the common name for the medical terms 'prolapsed' or 'herniated' disc.

A slipped disc most commonly occurs in people who are between 30 and 50 years of age. The condition affects twice as many men than women. Although back pain is a common problem for adults over the age of 30, a slipped disc is the cause of less than one in 20 cases of sudden back pain. Most back pain is the result of a muscle or ligament strain.

What are discs?

The discs you have in your back are protective, circular pads of cartilage (connective tissue) that lie in between the bones of your spine (vertebrae). The discs are responsible for cushioning the vertebrae when you jump or run. The discs are made from a tough, fibrous case, which contains a softer, gel-like substance.

The spinal cord is a collection of nerve fibres that are attached to the brain, and are protected by the spine. Nerve fibres from the spinal cord pass between the vertebrae, and take and receive messages to and from different parts of the body.

What is a slipped disc?

A slipped disc occurs when the outer part of your disc ruptures, allowing the gel inside to bulge and protrude outwards from in between your vertebrae. The damaged disc can put pressure on your whole spinal cord or on a single nerve fibre. This means that a slipped disc can cause pain both in the area of the protruding disc and in any part of your body that is controlled by the nerve the disc is pressing on.

A slipped disc occurs most frequently in your lower back, but any disc can rupture, including those in your upper back and neck.

Nice post Mindi!!

To the OP: Slowly try incorporating some core exercises into your daily routine. I've had severe lower back spasms. It put me in the hospital and I couldn't walk for a few days. Went through 4 weeks of physical therapy and worked on my core. For a while, my back would be sore if I would sit or lay down for long periods of time. But I continued strengthening my core muscles and concentrated on improving my posture. I've been pain free and feeling good for over 4 years now. Also, it's not a good idea to sleep on your stomach.

Good luck to you!
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.17

Make everyday count because no one promised you tomorrow.

Live easy, train hard.

Owe lifetime reps to all E-Crew members

Owe a case of beer to deseee

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post

What are discs?

What is a slipped disc?

Nice cut and paste.

The term "slipped disc" is a misnomer that should only be used by the ignorant and the uninformed..or some predatory chiropractors.

All it's use does is promulgate catastrophication of simple back pain and misinformation.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Fresch View Post
    Nice cut and paste.

The term "slipped disc" is a misnomer that should only be used by the ignorant and the uninformed..or some predatory chiropractors.

All it's use does is promulgate catastrophication of simple back pain and misinformation.
    Half this forum is cut and paste, if people would simply google their problems...there would be a hella lot less posts.

But for the topic, if its sore its not a herniated disc...you would notice if it was nerve pain almost immediately...if your still worried get an MRI, it will tell you if its a disc problem or not

SDeez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Downsey View Post
    Half this forum is cut and paste, if people would simply google their problems...there would be a hella lot less posts.

But for the topic, if its sore its not a herniated disc...you would notice if it was nerve pain almost immediately...if your still worried get an MRI, it will tell you if its a disc problem or not
    ^ d-bag, most people do look on google, u think we all post back ****-up's just because with no research? U know when u have back pain or any type of injury serious enough, noone ever sits around with there thumb up there *** waiting for one websites post, we're on a constant scour on endless searches probably reading so much it makes it worse.

Btw yall this post makes me feel a little better I think I'm going through the same thing. Also u mentioned the arch and the otherguy (I'd go back on my fone but its slow), can't remmevber name said hunched over?? But yeah I gotta arch my back it feels a little better by doing so

SDeez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HighRevinSi View Post
    If you are walking hunched over in the mid-back region it is a typical compensation for LBP. Reason being that when you are hunched forward you actually increase the diameter for the nerves/arteries/veins in the Lumbar region to pass between vertebrae; this is a compensation for inflammation. Keep us posted on the doc's verdict
    Did u mean it is good to hunch over? Cuz I walk arched too, feels better?