Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bad Knees and Lunges, How Do I Get Thru It?

Hey everyone thanks for any helpful advice on this topic.

Up until this point I have pretty much avoided lunges like the plague. Why? because my knees just can't handle it. It's better and nearly obtainable if i pop 4 advil. I've been able to do side lunges but on my right side don't get much depth before my knee is screaming.

Now that i've dropped some poundage I can almost do front lunges but again i don't get much depth especially on my right side. I also need to work on my balance because my form is poor and sometimes i lose my balance.

So is there anything i can do to alleviate the pain or should i just continue to do shallow lunges or just give up on lunges altogether? Or just do the lunges that don't bother me as much which is side lunges? Or should i just substitute squats for lunches?

Ok I'll just stop guessing and let you tell me.
    Watch My Weight Loss Journey
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MeOnlyBetter2013

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Vivarant View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for any helpful advice on this topic.

Up until this point I have pretty much avoided lunges like the plague. Why? because my knees just can't handle it. It's better and nearly obtainable if i pop 4 advil. I've been able to do side lunges but on my right side don't get much depth before my knee is screaming.

Now that i've dropped some poundage I can almost do front lunges but again i don't get much depth especially on my right side. I also need to work on my balance because my form is poor and sometimes i lose my balance.

So is there anything i can do to alleviate the pain or should i just continue to do shallow lunges or just give up on lunges altogether? Or just do the lunges that don't bother me as much which is side lunges? Or should i just substitute squats for lunches?

Ok I'll just stop guessing and let you tell me.
    Taking pain-killers and then weight-training is a really bad idea.

Don't do any exercise that causes you immediate pain. Review your exercise form; if it's correct but you still experience pian, drop that exercise.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivarant is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Taking pain-killers and then weight-training is a really bad idea.
    Yes i kind of had that feeling. I told my dr. about the trouble and his only advice was take pain killers
    I'm not terribly sure my form is correct but i have been trying to evaluate it. Are there any substitues for lunges?

thanks for your input

That's the arm I fap with Critter5592's Avatar
    Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you tried back lunges, instead of forward/side? My knees aren't the greatest but lunges are actually one thing I have maintained without problems. I have found that back lunges especially are good, I also do them infront of a mirror. I highly suggest doing it in front of a mirror, often times your back knee is supporting really badly unless you are able to notice and keep proper.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Vivarant View Post
    I'm not terribly sure my form is correct but i have been trying to evaluate it. Are there any substitues for lunges?
    Any compound leg exercise (Squats, Leg Press, Hack Machine, V-Squat, etc.) will satisfactorily work the lower body.

If you're looking for something that more-closely mimics a Lunge, try these; they are similar, but without the knee impact from the leading foot hitting the floor with each rep:

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by Critter5592 View Post
    Have you tried back lunges, instead of forward/side? My knees aren't the greatest but lunges are actually one thing I have maintained without problems. I have found that back lunges especially are good, I also do them infront of a mirror. I highly suggest doing it in front of a mirror, often times your back knee is supporting really badly unless you are able to notice and keep proper.
    no i've never even heard of back lunges but i will look into this for sure, thanks

tlray2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I would say work on form with light weight or no weight at all. If it still hurts bad avoid it.
    Travis