Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Cool The 1 Handed Deadlift Chronicles

This thread is for those interested in lifts like the IM Rolling Thunder, pinch lifts and odd object lifts that involve using one hand to deadlift them.

I'll try to take pics and post up some of the equipment of what I have, routines of what I'm currently doing, and I'll answer questions from anyone who also has an interest in the same.

I very much encourage anyone else to use this thread to post up any pics/videos of what they are lifting - example: your RT lifts, either PR's or just what you're currently lifting. So let's have some fun and start lifting!!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Arrow My 1st Workout For This Thread

My first workout after starting this thread began at 3 o'clock in the morning!

I should have gone to sleep but decided to do something before the big beddy bye. I took my cable handle (this handle is a 1" handle that revolves and you'll usually find them on any cable machine in a gym), and I did a few lifts and finger-rolls with 100 pounds. I then changed over to my baseball and did a few underhand lifts with that. I then changed over again to my "D" handle and did a few lifts with that and then some finger hangs. I think the whole workout lasted about 10 minutes.

I should note that when I do this - or any workout like this - I always work both hands equally. If I do it with one hand, I'll switch and do the very same thing with the other hand. I did take some pics of the equipment I'm using, but I'll post those up tomorrow. If anyone has any pics that they want me to post up, just ask and I'll do it!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Arrow Posting Old Pics

Here are a few pics of some odd object lifts that I've done in the past... enjoy!
    Attached Images

sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000)
    i love one handed dls. ill post my double overhand dead prs in here.

Exclamation

Originally Posted by sickonstorm View Post
    i love one handed dls. ill post my double overhand dead prs in here.
    Thanks bro! Yeah, go ahead and post up any pics or video of stuff you've done -- I think the one handed DL's have been ignored long enough!!!

Q: Are you doing any RT lifts or anything like that? If so, let us know the results! I'm going to be posting up my workouts and the outcome of what happens. I'll try to do some video later on (my camcorder crapped out recently so all I've got is my digital camera for now).

bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    awesome pics! i need to find some anvils! my goal is to hub pinch one of the 100lb plates at the gym. =)
    1 year out!

"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."

"If your out of breath, dizzy, feel like vomiting, can't remember your name, you are on the right road".

www.mindandmuscle.net

sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks View Post
    Thanks bro! Yeah, go ahead and post up any pics or video of stuff you've done -- I think the one handed DL's have been ignored long enough!!!

Q: Are you doing any RT lifts or anything like that? If so, let us know the results! I'm going to be posting up my workouts and the outcome of what happens. I'll try to do some video later on (my camcorder crapped out recently so all I've got is my digital camera for now).
    the only one handed or odd lifts ive done are

- one handed barbell press(used to do this a while ago)
    - one handed military press (barbell)
    - one handed deadlift
    -cocs
    - DO deadlifts ffs (two hands)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bigasssnowman View Post
    ... my goal is to hub pinch one of the 100lb plates at the gym. =)
    If you ever did that, it would be one of the greatest feats of grip strength -- the most I've ever done was a 55 pound bumper plate (I've got a pic of that), and of course a 35# plate with three 5# plates on top of that.

bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigasssnowman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yea i realize its a crazy goal, but I'm up to 65 in my right hand and 55 in my left, after 2 months of training. (started with the 25) My training consists of #2 and #1 grippers and at the end of every other workout i hub as much as i can then finish it off with hubing/holding the 45lb plates as long as i can.
    1 year out!

"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."

"If your out of breath, dizzy, feel like vomiting, can't remember your name, you are on the right road".

www.mindandmuscle.net

Steel Bending Fiend cyberpunkwriter's Avatar
    cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Neat journal. I love one-handed DL's.
    MattC.

20 rep squats ftw

~Big Dawg Crew~

check out the last guy on the page. he does a 90lb hub pinch. i also read somewhere about a guy doing 115.

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog...d%20Plate.html
    1 year out!

www.mindandmuscle.net

If you ever did that, it would be one of the greatest feats of grip strength -- the most I've ever done was a 55 pound bumper plate (I've got a pic of that), and of course a 35# plate with three 5# plates on top of that.
    so why didnt you just use a 45 pound plate witrh just a 5 on top of that is it harder to do it with the 35s.?

Big Shiny Bastard vikingsrule92's Avatar
    vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    check out the last guy on the page. he does a 90lb hub pinch. i also read somewhere about a guy doing 115.

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog...d%20Plate.html
    No one has done 115, at least I highly doubt it. And until I see that guy do 90, I don't believe it. I do believe documented things like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sa68QOVgjs
    If you can do 65 on a plate (not the IM device) that would be pretty world class. Join Gripboard, there is a race to the biggest Hub lift and the longest timed hold with a 45 by the hub, you'd do pretty well.

Exclamation

so why didnt you just use a 45 pound plate witrh just a 5 on top of that is it harder to do it with the 35s.?
    Well, at the time I did that lift - I didn't have a 45 pound plate in which to do decent hub lifts. Later on, I got some Jackson plates and they have great hubs (that's why I bought them). I used the 35# plate and then put three 5 pounds plates on that. I also got the 55# bumper around that time but didn't think about hub lifting that.

i just tried to pinch 2 25s and failed i got 3 10s but thats weak as crap ha

i just tried to pinch 2 25s and failed i got 3 10s but thats weak as crap ha
    You gotta start somewhere =)
    1 year out!

www.mindandmuscle.net

Originally Posted by vikingsrule92 View Post
    No one has done 115, at least I highly doubt it. And until I see that guy do 90, I don't believe it. I do believe documented things like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sa68QOVgjs
    If you can do 65 on a plate (not the IM device) that would be pretty world class. Join Gripboard, there is a race to the biggest Hub lift and the longest timed hold with a 45 by the hub, you'd do pretty well.

Most impressive hub pinch i've seen on youtube is the guy picks up a 45lb plate and switches hands in the air and doesn't drop it! I will try and find it and post it. Also is there an exact size of hub that people use? at my gym we have 3 different 45lb plats and all of them are different. one is about 4 inches across and 3/4 inch deep. one is normal length across about 1.25 inch deep and one is only about 1/2 inch deep. Don't hold me to those exact measurements but they are all very different. I can only do 55lb on the smaller one and when i got 65lb it was with the deeper one. i haven't tried the 4-5inch across one yet.

Has anyone tried doing the dumbbell hubs? they aren't really hubs but the screw on the end is about 1/8 deep and about as big around as a quarter.
    I'm up to the 20's
    1 year out!

www.mindandmuscle.net

this isn't the video i was talking about but you get the idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFLYCAHt3Gs

Also thank you for the info on the hub contest on the grip board!
    1 year out!

www.mindandmuscle.net

vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    this isn't the video i was talking about but you get the idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFLYCAHt3Gs

Also thank you for the info on the hub contest on the grip board!
    Yeah he's actually a good friend of mine, very strong with Hubs, I believe his best is 70lbs, and his name is cemery on Gripboard if you feel like contacting him.

Yeah he's actually a good friend of mine, very strong with Hubs, I believe his best is 70lbs, and his name is cemery on Gripboard if you feel like contacting him.
    That guy is a stud!
    1 year out!

www.mindandmuscle.net

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looking forward to following this log.

pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I had a RT lift of 205 but the best ive done post tendinitois(sp) is 187. I did a hub workout once in my lift and was able to get a 35 with 8 lbs attached. could not get the 45 at that time.

Arrow

I'm currently doing some finger work with my revolving 1" cable handle - 150 pounds, pick up and hold for a few seconds. Trying to work my way back to 200 pounds or more.

That guy is a stud!
    Yeah he's strong for his size, hell he's just strong period. He just lifted the Blob 50 and 50lb Hex Block not to long ago.

John, are those 1 finger lifts? Solid brother!!

I'm currently doing some finger work with my revolving 1" cable handle - 150 pounds, pick up and hold for a few seconds. Trying to work my way back to 200 pounds or more.
    Do you have any pictures videos? I dont have a clue what that is. =(
    1 year out!

www.mindandmuscle.net

Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    interesting journal. subscribed

Arrow

John, are those 1 finger lifts? Solid brother!!
    No, but I have done that in the past. This stuff that I'm doing currently is done with my cable handle, my 1 finger lift-thingy is somewhere where I can't find it now!

got the coc 2.5 for Christmas!! closed it in my right 2 times and left once! =)

I'm finding the hardest part of grip training is taking time off. I enjoy it so much its hard to go a whole day without doing something. How long of breaks do you all take between grip work?
    1 year out!

www.mindandmuscle.net

Exclamation

I'm finding the hardest part of grip training is taking time off. I enjoy it so much its hard to go a whole day without doing something. How long of breaks do you all take between grip work?
    I think the longest I've gone without doing any grip stuff was about two weeks - funny though, when I got back into it, it seemed like I didn't lose any strength!

got the coc 2.5 for Christmas!! closed it in my right 2 times and left once! =)

Congrats dude!!! That's a really strong close, get a #3 ASAP!!!

Depends largely on how quickly your hands and forearms recover. I usually do grip 3 days a week alternating days with weights for 3 days a week, but I recover quickly. I'd say typically do 2 hard grip days a week and adjust as needed for you in specific.