the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK 139 :: What Is The Best Outdoor Winter Workout?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Best Outdoor Winter Workout?

For the week of: 12/02 - 12/08
    Monday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cold weather is finally here which often means no training outside in the fresh air. What we need is something to cool off growing tempers and more crowded gyms.

What is the best outdoor winter workout? Be specific.

What makes this the best workout for winter weather?

What dangers exist when dealing with the extreme cold and how can you avoid injury, or worse?

Bonus Question: Have you used this workout and who would you recommend it to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

NEW RULE!!!!!

* New Rule: Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks,
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

cthompson13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the best outdoor winter workout would be, to not workout in the ****. move to the south

Registered User SparqTheRuthless's Avatar
    SparqTheRuthless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SparqTheRuthless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SparqTheRuthless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink Sparq's Best Winter Workout

The cold weather is finally here which often means no training outside in the fresh air. What we need is something to cool off growing tempers and more crowded gyms.

First things first warm up very well. Most of the injuries that happen are attributed to not properly warming up, and outside its twice as hard. Do standard lateral circles with you arms to warm up your shoulders count to 30 for each set take a few breaths and do the next one (do 3 sets). This will put blood into your rotator cuffs and warm them up. Do a 5 min light run to get the blood flowing as well. Also try doing about 3 sets of light air squats for 10 reps a piece. Repeat anything as necessary until confident that your properly warmed up.
    I would have to say calisthenics, and light cardio, you should not overdo the cardio in cold weather because its hard on your lungs. I would say do 4 sets of push ups 20 reps followed by 4 sets of walking lunges with bodyweight about 20 reps a piece. I like pull ups outside as well if you have a bar, do 4 sets of these only to failure on the last set. If you have a bar you can also do hanging leg raises try 4 sets of 20. Hanging knee raises are great as well, just remember: your lower abs aren't fully activated until your thighs go above 90 degrees, do 4 sets of 20 of these as well.I also like full body pushups against a wall or tree, they are a very challenging but effective shoulder builder try like 3 sets only failing on the last. Make sure you aren't getting too cold and that you do this after push ups so your shoulders are used to a little weight. Also walk up to a stationary object you can use to stabilize yourself. Put 1 leg under the buttocks and do 1 legged squats for 4 sets ( I like 20 reps but whatever floats your boat), I also do these in the gym with the smith bar. These will allow you to go really deep and really dial in on your quads and glutes. Plus with the correct stabilization you take virtually all the pressure off your back. Lastly, to target your core I want you to superset trunk holds for 30 seconds with planks for 50 seconds do at least 3 sets of these, 5 if you feel tough.
    For cardio do a low intensity 20-30 min jog and slow down or stop if you feel lung inflammation. Make sure you also cool down properly 5 minutes before you stop, the cold air is very strenous on your nervous system and you want to keep things running smoothly.

I like it because its rather light and the warming up is key to keeping it safe. I think that it hits a lot of major muscle groups and that is good because training outside is anything but ideal and should be done in moderation.

What dangers exist when dealing with the extreme cold and how can you avoid injury, or worse? The main danger is the cold on your joints risking a tear in a tendon or ligament. I also think that if you have asthma you should be very careful and talk with your doctor because lungs can get inflamed quick if the air is too cold. Also breath in through your nose and out your mouth so the air gets warmed up slightly before hitting your lungs.

I have done a very similar workout and would recommend this workout to anyone how wants to increase strength, mass, and stamina, not a definition type of workout.

SparqTheRuthless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SparqTheRuthless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SparqTheRuthless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I suppose I should also mention to wear multiple layers during this training. This is kind of a no-brainer but I didn't want to be responsible for some dude in the arctic circle rockin a wife beater liftin seals.lol

thewhole9yarbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

football!

1. Playing football outside is a great way to get a little cardio in while having fun. Football is one of the only games that is just as fun (or more fun!) in the cold weather. It can be as intense or relaxed as you want it to be, with a good mix of sprinting, jogging, and resting.

2. This workout is great for cold weather because football was MADE for cold weather. Anyone who has watched a game in Denver, Minnesota, or Green Bay knows this. Also, you can bundle up as much as you want with limited effects on the game (the extra clothing in football would impact you less than it would for basketball or jogging).

3. Make sure to wear the proper clothing. Feel free to bundle up, and throw on some gloves to keep your hands warm (they might even help you hang on to the rock). Wear appropriate shoes, because you don't want to roll an ankle. Also, remember to drink plenty of water. People often forget to drink enough water when exercising in the cold because they dont feel thirsty. Hydration is just as important in the cold as it is in the heat. MAKE SURE TO STRETCH BEFORE PLAYING, in particular the hamstrings, ankles, and hip flexors.

4. I would definitely recommend this exercise as it is a great way to get a little bit of extra cardio without realizing it and while having fun. I try to get a game of pigskin goin' every other week on sunday, rain or shine (hopefully some snow too!).

genesis22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is the best outdoor winter workout?

There's a saying, "He who chops wood, warms himself twice." I find this to be very true. I've been chopping down trees for firewood for many years now and i gotta say it is awesome. Using that axe is a total body workout. After a couple hours swinging it, your shoulders burn like hell and your arms follow suit. Your lats get a sick workout as well as you abs for sabilizing everything with all that momentum and swinging action. So I must say that chopping wood is the best outdoor workout

If you read above I explained it all.

What dangers exist when dealing with the extreme cold and how can you avoid injury, or worse?

In my experience you just need to bundle up and thats a no brainer. Before I chop wood I take some practice swings with a lighter axe, somewhat similar to baseball. I get all the muscles I'm about to use warmed up.

Every year for the past 6 years and too many times a year too count. This doesn't have to be done just during winter, it just makes the most sense to do it then. This is an everyday chore just turned into a workout, your killing two birds with one stone. I would recommend this workout to anyone who enjoys the outdoors and who likes some hard work. and also anyone who has a fireplace obviously

lift hard, rock loud TheSovereign's Avatar
    TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Blast the Cardio and Plyometrics

The best thing to do for any type of outdoor workout (i think) would be something full of plyometrics and bodyweight exercises. For a rough guide, there are many articles on this site dealing with boot camp or soldier workouts. They are great. It's a good switch from the ordinary bodybuilder type workout yet is extremely effective. The winter is a great time to work your cardio. If you wanted to do long distance running, this is the time to get into shape for the spring. The cold air is harsh on the lungs, but is normally thinner due to lower humidity in the winter. This is a good thing though. Lots of fighters and athletes train at high altitudes for the same purpose. You will have to take more breaths to get the same amount of oxygen in your system, but it will pay off in the end. Trust me. A sample outdoor routine might be:
    Mon/Wed/Fri:
    Warm Up - Plyometrics
    Push Ups 6 x 30
    Pull Ups 3 x 10
    Sit Ups 6 x 30
    *increase sets/reps every week

Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri
    Jog 2 mi at an 8:20 pace
    *increase distance every week

Soldiers and combat athletes have to keep their bodies in great physical condition all year round. Armed forces workouts are excellent guidelines for anyone looking to break the mold of a traditional gym.

Since its cold there will be a lot of tension on your muscles and your body's systems. For example, running through snow is difficult, but there is a great risk of slipping when you hit a patch of ice. The same goes for running along the roadside when its cold out. Also, the cold whether is a double edged sword when it comes to conditioning. It can help develop your lung capacity, but there is a danger of hypothermia and the risk of catching cold is greater because your body is trying to cool itself because of your workout stress, yet you're drenched in sweat and its freezing outside... not good for your immune system. It is VERY VERY important to get a good stretch both before and after your workout. Cold muscles tear more easily than well when they're warmed up properly. If your going for a run or a workout, make sure to bundle up, but not to heavily. You want to make sure you don't get sick, but you don't want to make it so you can't move. You also have to keep in mind that it will be cold when you first go outside, but your body will get warmer as you start moving around. Sweatpants, a hoodie, and stocking cap are good choices, try to stay away from heavy coat and snow pants. However, don't get too excited and start struttn' the 30 degree weather with shorts and a cut off t-shirt on.

Yes, i have tried this workout. The teen section had an article for the Navy SEAL boot camp. It was a 19 week program with the difficulty increasing through week 16. I went to week 5 before I lost access to a pool. I would recommend this workout to anyone who is serious about fitness, does not have access to a gym, or is looking for a good sharp change to their workout regime.
    "It always hurts when you go as hard as you can" -Keith Bontrager

"Self destruction is the key" - Tyler Durden

"We like nightmares, they prepare us for the coming reality" - Jordan Vezina

My Journal --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113090321

So...

When do we find out who won this?

Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cr4zYH3aD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cold air have more oxygen or molecules than hot air so I geuss you breath more oxygen ! you can push harder
    As You Think, So Shall You Become - Bruce Lee | But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. - Rocky Balboa |
    Are we affected only by our outward experience or are there other worlds that affect us? Hidden worlds -- that exist in the heart and in the blood. We are shaped by our experience, both within and without, present and past... and we pass those experiences on in our blood, giving birth to new generations and sometimes... new worlds.

Originally Posted by Cr4zYH3aD View Post
    cold air have more oxygen or molecules than hot air so I geuss you breath more oxygen ! you can push harder
    On the contrary, regardless of the oxygen the cold air makes it harder for your lungs to stay warm and work at 100%. If you have asthma its 2wice as bad. So how do we know who won?
    "Oderant Dom Metuant"
    Let them hate so long as they fear

Originally Posted by SparqTheRuthless View Post
    On the contrary, regardless of the oxygen the cold air makes it harder for your lungs to stay warm and work at 100%. If you have asthma its 2wice as bad. So how do we know who won?
    I keep seeing all these different threads with different weeks, which one are we on for choosing the winners currently?
    "Oderant Dom Metuant"
    Let them hate so long as they fear

The_Mechanik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Mechanik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Mechanik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Mechanik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chop wood.. or splitting logs with an axe seems to be a pretty good workout for me.
    I used to beat people up... Now, if I came home with a black eye. I'd get beat up.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

hikergirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

which week?

Originally Posted by SparqTheRuthless View Post
    I keep seeing all these different threads with different weeks, which one are we on for choosing the winners currently?
    I was wondering the same thing. Some one out there got an answer?
    Tracey
    Hiking: To Enjoy, to reflect and to conquer!

hikergirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Out side training!

Originally Posted by TheSovereign View Post
    The best thing to do for any type of outdoor workout (i think) would be something full of plyometrics and bodyweight exercises. For a rough guide, there are many articles on this site dealing with boot camp or soldier workouts. They are great. It's a good switch from the ordinary bodybuilder type workout yet is extremely effective. The winter is a great time to work your cardio. If you wanted to do long distance running, this is the time to get into shape for the spring. The cold air is harsh on the lungs, but is normally thinner due to lower humidity in the winter. This is a good thing though. Lots of fighters and athletes train at high altitudes for the same purpose. You will have to take more breaths to get the same amount of oxygen in your system, but it will pay off in the end. Trust me. A sample outdoor routine might be:
    Mon/Wed/Fri:
    Warm Up - Plyometrics
    Push Ups 6 x 30
    Pull Ups 3 x 10
    Sit Ups 6 x 30
    *increase sets/reps every week

Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri
    Jog 2 mi at an 8:20 pace
    *increase distance every week

Soldiers and combat athletes have to keep their bodies in great physical condition all year round. Armed forces workouts are excellent guidelines for anyone looking to break the mold of a traditional gym.

Since its cold there will be a lot of tension on your muscles and your body's systems. For example, running through snow is difficult, but there is a great risk of slipping when you hit a patch of ice. The same goes for running along the roadside when its cold out. Also, the cold whether is a double edged sword when it comes to conditioning. It can help develop your lung capacity, but there is a danger of hypothermia and the risk of catching cold is greater because your body is trying to cool itself because of your workout stress, yet you're drenched in sweat and its freezing outside... not good for your immune system. It is VERY VERY important to get a good stretch both before and after your workout. Cold muscles tear more easily than well when they're warmed up properly. If your going for a run or a workout, make sure to bundle up, but not to heavily. You want to make sure you don't get sick, but you don't want to make it so you can't move. You also have to keep in mind that it will be cold when you first go outside, but your body will get warmer as you start moving around. Sweatpants, a hoodie, and stocking cap are good choices, try to stay away from heavy coat and snow pants. However, don't get too excited and start struttn' the 30 degree weather with shorts and a cut off t-shirt on.

Yes, i have tried this workout. The teen section had an article for the Navy SEAL boot camp. It was a 19 week program with the difficulty increasing through week 16. I went to week 5 before I lost access to a pool. I would recommend this workout to anyone who is serious about fitness, does not have access to a gym, or is looking for a good sharp change to their workout regime.
    If you live near a mountain you can make good work of the hike up and back down in cold weather. I also wear Hot Chile's for pants (thermal made for skiing), and when windy and below 30 light wind pants. I is very important to take care of your sweaty body when speed hiking in winter for exercise! Keep it under 2 hours or 3 total trip so you dont cool down too much and feel hypothermic. The other fantastic thing about picking off road work outs in winter is that you don't have to worry about sides of the road and traffic. On the average winter day of 25-32 degrees, speed hiking or off road jogging with raise your body temp about 15 degrees or so. If its a sunny day of 32 you will probably raise body temp of 20 degrees. Agree! I do 10 min warm up in the parking lot before I head up the Mt and I plant each foot with great care and aggression as to keep good traction and posture. It's not how fast you do it as much as how much yor body's working to keep aligned and on task. It does take an effort to train out side in winter but it is worth every second. I does build great lung capacity and your endurance level in general with soar!
    Tracey
    Hiking: To Enjoy, to reflect and to conquer!

jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

the best winter exercises for winter wud suddenly b wings and shoulders.. winter is the only season when u have the max oppurtunity to work on u r cutting

jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jacques43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    dun forget the dips that is the most necessary aspect in exercise... it will relaxu r muscles out.. its my personal experience