jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

bent elbows/pain

Okay so i made a similar post about this that got closed because i was told to see a doctor. I'm sorry for not being more clear, i did see a doctor he said i have scar tissue in my elbow that is causing pain and reduced ROM, but he told me it is okay to work through and will not harm me. He said it is most likely from the multiple armbars i have been put in. I have a few questions though...

My understanding of deadlifting is the arms are supposed to stay locked straight in order to not strain the biceps? Well my arms are never fully straight, they naturally bend in at the elbows. I was wondering if this could result in a bicep injury while deadlifting? I have been deadlifting, but have not attempted a max or close to it. Does anyone else have these bent arms? Sometimes it kinda looks like i'm flaring my arms out to look like i have big lats, but it's just how they are i can't straighten them totally. My doctor said i am fine to lift weights and train, but i wanted to see what anyone with experience with this thinks.

Second question, has anyone been able to restore elbow ROM or have any good links for it? I found some things, but a lot of these people giving exercise examples have obviously always had at least good ROM, i want to see someone that was where i am for years and worked it back. I find this with a lot of stretching videos, they give examples of people already naturally flexible. i was told by multiple doctors and physical therapists that my flexibility is basically naturally bad and there's not much to do about it, so is there anyone in the same boat as me that has been able to work past that?

Also any recommendations for reducing that chronic pain from arm bars? My doctor told me to basically take excessive amounts of ibuprofen for a week at a time, but it hasn't helped, i take fish and krill oil as well as use some topical cream. Nothing seems to work. He said it was fine and to just deal with the pain as best as i can, but i simply can't use it at times because of the pain. Like i said nothing wrong with the tendons or joint, just a flare up of scar tissue causing pain.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    consider working with a PT to help your ROM

jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd like to, but they are expensive and time consuming. I don't have health insurance atm and it would cost too much.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ah, I see, so you want the brodocs on the internet to diagnose your medical conditions and recommend a treatment plan. Remember, you get what you pay for.

All i'm asking is it harmful to your biceps by having the bent elbows while deadlifting(considering isn't correct form to have your arms straight?), surely other people here have to have a reduced ROM in their elbows or elbow pain. All of my doctors have told me basically do whatever you can deal with. Well sure it doesn't hurt, but all it takes is one lift to tear a bicep. honestly i don't have time or money to be going to a different doctor every week to ask them about every question that they aren't even sure of. I would gladly take advice from someone that has dealt with this issue and lifts regularly than spend money and time i don't have on a doctor that will just tell me to take ibuprofen. According to my doctor when i spoke to him 2 weeks ago my eblows are fine, i am able to lift, but i do not think he is aware of deadlifting form, he specializes on arm problems. Also his advice/treatment plan for me is to load on anti inflammatories until the pain goes away. So anything ontop of that to help i am open to at least consider.

To make this easy, proper deadlift form: do elbows need to be straight, or can they be slightly bent?

mattf3213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jimt91 View Post
    To make this easy, proper deadlift form: do elbows need to be straight, or can they be slightly bent?
    jimt91,

Ideally, yes they should be straight. However, if you are slightly flexed (a few degrees) it is probably not going to kill you. Wouldn't use an over/under grip though because they hand that is supinated will have even more tension than normal on the bicep. If that is your ROM and you truly can't fix it, then so be it. I would still suggest prolonged stretching to try and reach neutral. Don't give up. It took them a long time to get them the way they did so it will take a while to correct it. Good luck.

DPT

Thanks for the reply, i do use an overhand grip because the over-under seemed to be asking for an injury. Ive never hurt anything doing deadlifts, but when i would try the over-under it almost felt like a bicep workout whih cant be good. i'm going to try to go to PT once i get back on my health insurance, hopefully will help a little bit.