riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Hot tub after workout

Ok, I am currently on Rippetoes starting strength. Love the program. One question for you all. After each workout I usually go in the hot tub at my gym. It really relaxes my legs, especially after those squats and deadlifts. Is this bad for my muscles/gains?

Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vipor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's bad because you need food right after you workout.
    It's good b/c it relaxes you, but food's more important after you workout.

riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) riddlingminion is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So if I had a quick snack and a shake in the locker room right after I work out, then go in the hot tub, thats ok?

kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by riddlingminion View Post
    So if I had a quick snack and a shake in the locker room right after I work out, then go in the hot tub, thats ok?
    of course, provided theres a girl in there with you

TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just make sure you don't get sick or anything. Being in a hot tub or sauna after working out can really raise your core tempature, which can hurt you. Or so I've read. (I myself enjoy the sauna after a workout...)

Just make sure to limit your time in there.

davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude, its a very good q youve raised, and some top companies advise against sauna etc post workout...

However, if you want to make you workout most efficient, you will consume a post workout shake,(protein and carb), then hit the hot tub/sauna/steam room..

The result is an increased blood flow to you muscles due to the heat, which carries the nutrients quicker, it also has beneficial relaxing and anticortisol effects...

The reason why its advised against is that the high temps can stress your bod and result in the opposite, cortisol release!! Not good, to prevent this, id advise the steam room.. The hot tub is full of bacteria, and post workout you are most at risk due to free radical oxidation!!!

As for raising your core temp, 1-2 degrees increas in core temp and kill you, so I think it highly unlikely that it does.. That what sweat is for!
    lawsonator

archyis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by d_k View Post
    of course, provided theres a girl in there with you
    Hey this brings up a question I had...I am not trying to be a dick or anything but is the sauna and spa a "gay" hangout area? Again not trying to be rude or hate on anyone, I was just wondering.

R.I.P. Grandma 5/12/07 user178944's Avatar
    user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i too use the spa, sauna, and/or steam room after

newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) newbatman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

hot shower and direct the shower onto injuries

massages are great for injuries and some heat (don't over so it)...

so used a more powerful shower and direct the flow onto any injury and it heals quicker in my experience...

GREAT FOR PULLED MUSCLES IN SHOULDER

MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelRS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by archyis View Post
    Hey this brings up a question I had...I am not trying to be a dick or anything but is the sauna and spa a "gay" hangout area? Again not trying to be rude or hate on anyone, I was just wondering.
    That's true. But I just use it to meet people, get a few free drinks after the gym then excuse myself to go to the restroom and duck out the back of the bar and head to the local straight night spot already a little primed. Just like some girls use to do to me.

And don't worry if they ask you to dance. Just use any of the excuses that any girls ever gave you = sore feet, headache, tired after working out, etc.

The problem comes if any of your friends see you going into the gay bar in the first place. However, if you're lucky, you can get him to take you to a local "regular' spot and play it cool (No cuddling in the back booth, 'cause the local bikers will kill you). But if not, and you're seen, you got a lotta a 'splain to do, Lucy.

saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MichaelRS View Post
    That's true. But I just use it to meet people, get a few free drinks after the gym then excuse myself to go to the restroom and duck out the back of the bar and head to the local straight night spot already a little primed. Just like some girls use to do to me.

And don't worry if they ask you to dance. Just use any of the excuses that any girls ever gave you = sore feet, headache, tired after working out, etc.

The problem comes if any of your friends see you going into the gay bar in the first place. However, if you're lucky, you can get him to take you to a local "regular' spot and play it cool (No cuddling in the back booth, 'cause the local bikers will kill you). But if not, and you're seen, you got a lotta a 'splain to do, Lucy.
    lol..hilarious
    2 Corinthians 5:7

For we live by faith, not by sight.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've already answered a similar questions today.

Hot tub right after isn't the best plan. Will it kill you? No, but right after a workout you should be addressing inflamation, and heat won't make that better. Cold showers or ice is probably the BEST option, but most people aren't game for an ice bath right after a workout.

So... the dippy "eat right after" responses aside, here is what I would consider, if it were me.

1. The heat is going to keep me in that inflamed state. Con.
    2. My muscles are already loose and warm, by way of having just worked out... why do you need more of that? Push.
    3. Is circulation aided? Well, if by blood circulating to the skin... yes? Push.
    4. Does it feel good? Yes... Would it feel just as good later in the evening, or before a workout? Yes... Push

So really, you get a lot of "eh, who cares" and a little "better off not" so... do whatever.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius