Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Question Best Supp's for Shoulder Pain?

Okay, I read that several of you are taking Fish Oil for shoulder ailments. (couldn't find the thread today?) I'm taking Flax Oil, but for cholestrol lowering (I was border line last test) per my Doc's suggestion.

My question, what would you suggest (or are you taking) for supp's to help out my ailing wing?

FYI, the diagnosis for my shoulder is a partially detached bicep. The rough ends of the detachment cause friction and irritation against the other tissue as they slide by. The surgeon doesn't want to work on it until it completely detaches (if it ever does) ..... dang!

Also, FYI I believe what hurt my shoulder the other day was 'cleaning' the bar to my chest in order to do the militaries. I am 'cleaning' it and then sitting down to do my pressing. I'm going to have to figure out a way to use a rack from now on.

Anyone have any thoughts of what supplements might help out ? (besides motrin.... )

I've been thinking I should pickup some fish oil and get started on that? Or does the flax oil work in a similiar fashion for joint pain??
    Was friends with Methuselah

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I use fish oil and hemp seed oil with great results. Some swear by cissus but it didn't do a thing for me. Glucosamine works but takes about a month or so to kick in. I find the oils to be cheaper.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've used animal flex from Universal Nutrition and also Orange Triad from Controlled Labs and I do feel as though I've gotten results. The Orange Triad is also a multivitamin so it cuts down on the number of pills.
    It may be a small world but I'd hate to have to paint it.

"The difference between failure and success is doing a thing nearly right and doing a thing exactly right." Edward Simmons ...

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks, I see the Animal Flex has flax oil in it?

camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Old-Time-Lifter View Post
    Thanks, I see the Animal Flex has flax oil in it?
    buy some cheap flex oil first , give it a try for 1 month and if it doesnt work 4 u try something else!
    Last edited by fitnessman; 12-12-2008 at 07:00 AM.
    "Paper money is going away" - EM

aneas
    I feel for you becuase I am a chronic shoulder pain guy myself. The only thing that works for me is rest and keeping my rep range higher 10+.

blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hydraplenish is what I have used... It has BioCell Collagen II, Chondroitin Sulfate, & Hyaluronic Acid... It has made a tremendous difference for me...

Peace...
    God is always with me and I'll never give up...

Blopid,

Is this what you're talking about?
    http://www.******************/store/e...jsp?id=NW-1451

aneas,

It sucks doesn't it..............

Camaleon,

Is that flex or flax oil?

aneas
    Blopid,

neas,

Getting my ice pack ready right now.

Already iced once today..............

camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Blopid,

aneas,

Camaleon,

bottle label:

Natural Fish Oil 1000MG

It doesnt say flex or flax...
    "Paper money is going away" - EM

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Okay, I read that several of you are taking Fish Oil for shoulder ailments. (couldn't find the thread today?) I'm taking Flax Oil, but for cholestrol lowering (I was border line last test) per my Doc's suggestion.

My question, what would you suggest (or are you taking) for supp's to help out my ailing wing?

FYI, the diagnosis for my shoulder is a partially detached bicep. The rough ends of the detachment cause friction and irritation against the other tissue as they slide by. The surgeon doesn't want to work on it until it completely detaches (if it ever does) ..... dang!

Also, FYI I believe what hurt my shoulder the other day was 'cleaning' the bar to my chest in order to do the militaries. I am 'cleaning' it and then sitting down to do my pressing. I'm going to have to figure out a way to use a rack from now on.

Anyone have any thoughts of what supplements might help out ? (besides motrin.... )

I've been thinking I should pickup some fish oil and get started on that? Or does the flax oil work in a similiar fashion for joint pain??

I don't think there is much in terms of supplements that can help your situation.. rehab may help and of course surgery
    All the supplements like fish oil and glucosamine are for the joints, cartilage and bones..

I'd work the heck out of it until it detaches completely then you can have surgery and be done with it

Have you tried working out with a wrap around the top of your biceps/shoulder? the wrapping might help keeping the detached end from rubbing against the tissue and stop bothering you, kind of what you do for tennis elbow or knee pain when it's caused by the patella sliding sideways, you keep it tight so it doesn't move too much .. I'd try that
    Last edited by BrotherWolf; 12-12-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    I don't think there is much in terms of supplements that can help your situation.. rehab may help and of course surgery
    All the supplements like fish oil and glucosamine are for the joints, cartilage and bones..

I'd work the heck out of it until it detaches completely then you can have surgery and be done with it

Have you tried working out with a wrap around the top of your biceps/shoulder? the wrapping might help keeping the detached end from rubbing against the tissue and stop bothering you, kind of what you do for tennis elbow or knee pain when it's caused by the patella sliding sideways, you keep it tight so it doesn't move too much .. I'd try that
    Fish oil reduces inflammation which would help with any type of injury.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    Fish oil reduces inflammation which would help with any type of injury.
    Yeah it has anti-inflammatory properties but so does tea and other foods.
    That's not strong enough, I just got over carpal tunnel and I take fish oil and eat plenty of salmon and tuna I still couldn't move my arm for 4 days .

Besides he's already taking flax seed oil and I guess that didn't help much his situation
    Last edited by BrotherWolf; 12-12-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Older But Getting Better Old Bob's Avatar
    Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Flax... Flax seed oil. Made from flax seeds.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fla...tient-flaxseed

Old Bob

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    Yeah it has anti-inflammatory properties but so does tea and other foods.
    That's not strong enough, I just got over carpal tunnel and I take fish oil and eat plenty of salmon and tuna I still couldn't move my arm for 4 days .

Besides he's already taking flax seed oil and I guess that didn't help much his situation
    Fish oil is a better source of EPA and DHA. You need to consume 5 or 6 times more ALA to get the same amount of EPA and DHA due to inefficient ezymatic conversion. He may not have been dosing the flax high enough. It may not have helped you, but it has been very helpful to me and many others. Plus it's cheap. 1000 gel caps 180/120 EPA/DHA for $25 = the win.

Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post
    Flax... Flax seed oil. Made from flax seeds.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fla...tient-flaxseed

Old Bob
    Linseed Oil is also made from flax. Which is what we used to coat the wooden truck beds with to make them slick so grain would run out better.

I think I'll pickup some fish oil tonight on the way home.

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Fish oil is a better source of EPA and DHA. You need to consume 5 or 6 times more ALA to get the same amount of EPA and DHA due to inefficient ezymatic conversion. He may not have been dosing the flax high enough. It may not have helped you, but it has been very helpful to me and many others. Plus it's cheap. 1000 gel caps 180/120 EPA/DHA for $25 = the win.
    I take EPA/DHA at 1300/500 per day (softgel fish oils)........is that to much in one day? I have only been taking it for about a week or so.

sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool L-Glutamine

Works wonders for joint pain. Highly rec it. Also, if there are any Vietnamese restaurants near you, Pho noodle soup, especially if you get it w/ the fatty tendon, is very good (flavor) and damn good for your joints. If your too ethnocentric, you might not be able to hang, though..........

Good luck OTL
    Tis a far, far better thing that I shall do now than I have ever done.

Tis a far, far better place that I shall go than I have ever been.

Originally Posted by plmb1 View Post
    I take EPA/DHA at 1300/500 per day (softgel fish oils)........is that to much in one day? I have only been taking it for about a week or so.
    That's fine. You want about 1g per day EPA. I go about 2-3 grams for reducing inflammation and have had good results.

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

That's fine. You want about 1g per day EPA. I go about 2-3 grams for reducing inflammation and have had good results.
    Thanks........I think I will bump it up a little then because of inflammation in my shoulders....

OutOfStep,

Okay, I picked up 1200 mg Fish Oil Pills, but I just looked on the bottle and it doesn't list the EPA/DHA levels........ shows there is no mda set for these?

How many pills should I be taking?

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Triflex, fast acting, GNC brand,..trudt me on this. I had the same issues with my shoulders.

sactown,

L-Glutamine for joints........ that's wild. I do take Glutamine, generally before bed and during workouts.

stayfit2008,
    Thanks, I'll check that one out too........... thanks!

Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steve_T is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Fish oil, flax oil, and glucosamine/chondroitin are what I take daily for this type of issue. Even with all that, I still have issues with my right shoulder from time to time. Shoulders are a curse for everyone who trains heavy, and I wish I could turn back the clock a bit to not go so heavy early on in my lifting career. Hindsight is always 20:20 though, and I probably would have injured it doing something else, right?
    Today is a good day to...KILL THE STEEL!

OutOfStep,

Okay, I picked up 1200 mg Fish Oil Pills, but I just looked on the bottle and it doesn't list the EPA/DHA levels........ shows there is no mda set for these?

Without knowing the amounts, I'd just be taking a stab in the dark. Try looking around on the internet for more info about the brand you bought. If not you'll just have to experiment. I always make sure the fish oil I buy lists the EPA/DHA levels.

m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just to throw in my 2 cents. Fish oil, flax seed, etc all provide some relief. I have never had much success treating joint pain with any of these though. The one thing that I've been using that has worked (for me) and has scientific data backing up it's efficacy is Boswellia.

Boswellia or Indian frankincense is an ayurvedic herb that is derived from the resin of the plant. It is used traditionally to treat arthritis, ulcerative colitis, coughs, sores, snakebite, and asthma. The major component is boswellic acid. Animal studies show that boswellic acid is a potent 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor that has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic effects.

Link to Sloan-Kettering data: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69149.cfm

And BB.com sells it (cheap): http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ay/bos.html
    John McCain:
    "You know, I think you may have noticed that Senator Obama's supporters have been saying some pretty nasty things about Western Pennsylvania lately. And you know, I couldn't agree with them more. I couldn't disagree with you. I couldn't agree with you more than the fact that Western Pennsylvania is the most patriotic, most god-loving, most, most patriotic part of America, and this is a great part of the country."

OutOfStep,

3 is sufficient assuming they have a standard content of EPA/DHA , you won't overdose on fish oil
    I think the recommended serving is 3gr (3000mg.)

blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Blopid,

aneas,

Camaleon,

Sorry for the late response... SO busy... Yes, that's correct... Great stuff... It's a terrific supplement and it has greatly reduced if not eliminated certain joint pain I used to have...

Peace...
    God is always with me and I'll never give up...