slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Split routine for a beginner?

I've just joined a gym and included was an hour of Personal Trainer time where they work out a weights routine.

To my surprise he created a split routine but being the beginner, I kept quiet. It's not that I'm an expert but something tells me that a split is a bit too soon for me.

Here is the routine anyway -

Monday:
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raise
    Squats
    Tricep Dips
    Overhead Extensions
    Vertical Chest Press

Wednesday:
    Shoulder Press
    Upright Row
    Forward Raise
    Lateral Raise
    Preacher Curl
    Incline Dumbell Curl

Friday:
    Chest Press
    Incline Press
    Flys
    Pullovers
    Lateral Pulldowns
    Seated Rows
    Dead Lifts

easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by slimbimjim View Post
    I've just joined a gym and included was an hour of Personal Trainer time where they work out a weights routine.

To my surprise he created a split routine but being the beginner, I kept quiet. It's not that I'm an expert but something tells me that a split is a bit too soon for me.

Here is the routine anyway -

Monday:
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raise
    Squats
    Tricep Dips
    Overhead Extensions
    Vertical Chest Press

Wednesday:
    Shoulder Press
    Upright Row
    Forward Raise
    Lateral Raise
    Preacher Curl
    Incline Dumbell Curl

Friday:
    Chest Press
    Incline Press
    Flys
    Pullovers
    Lateral Pulldowns
    Seated Rows
    Dead Lifts
    Well thats an odd split, new or vet, but is this your first time ever in a gym? Alot of people will recommend Starting Strength, but theirs no reason you wouldnt see results with a split...I just don't know about that one. Don't pay for a person trainer beyond the first free one. What are your goals?

slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Easy

I have been working out with dumbells in the garage for a month so I'm kind of new I guess.

My main target is to build my shoulders and back (I'm quite tall and narrow) but of course I want to build the rest.

Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry but I have to suggest http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Most, if not all PTs of a commercial gym are pure crap, know nothing, and just give you something and say "Here do this, you'll get huge", and give you a bunch of kiss-ass crap just to come back to the gym and be a member. I'm not saying to be a rebel and quit the gym, gym is a nice place to workout, but I just wouldn't trust PTs so much. Hell, one time a PT told me not to do reverse hyperextensions (where you raise your legs up instead of your back) because it would be bad for the back, and in actual reality it's good for the back, strengthens it, and its main target are the glutes (great for squatting and deadlifting).

A lot of PTs will also recommend you stop at parallel on squatting when that's actually worse for your knees than going below parallel.
    Screw my logs, I won't post one up until I know I'll be back in the game for sure!

easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi Easy

I have been working out with dumbells in the garage for a month so I'm kind of new I guess.

My main target is to build my shoulders and back (I'm quite tall and narrow) but of course I want to build the rest.
    Yepp go with the link above. Since your new, you'll see overall growth pretty quickly. Big compound lifts like deadlifts, rows, and overhead press will definitely build the size your looking for in your shoulders and back, and the basis to later move onto a split routine, if you see fit. Give that a shot, read up on it, its pretty simple stuff. If your not sure about form, try watching some videos (youtube and this forum are loaded). If you've got some concerns about your diet, head on over to the nutrition forum, and read the stickies (the posts permanently put at the top of the thread list).

And yes for the most part PTs don't know ****.

Just a quick question about squats. I've done them before but about a year ago, I twisted my knee and I did some minor damage to the cartilage.

It means I have can feel some discomfort when pushing up with my knees. Will a Smith Rack (is that what it's called?) help any? I see people leaning back onto the bar and getting into a sitting on a chair position rather than the arse over the heels position.

Just a quick question about squats. I've done them before but about a year ago, I twisted my knee and I did some minor damage to the cartilage.

It means I have can feel some discomfort when pushing up with my knees. Will a Smith Rack (is that what it's called?) help any? I see people leaning back onto the bar and getting into a sitting on a chair position rather than the arse over the heels position.
    Hmm well I don't feel comfortable giving advice on something related to an injury, but if you post your question in the injuries section you'll get much better advice, I would be sure about it before doing something that could re injure it.

I think what your referring to seeing is people doing a "box squat" on the Smith Machine (rack is fine tho ). Your saying they have their legs out in front and lower down until they sit, then go back up? Either way, i'd avoid doing it, the Smith Machine is going to force you into a position, as in, your following the bar, not the opposite. If its what I'm picturing, like doing a hack squat on a squat machine, that'd be a knee wrecker.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Check out some of Natural2's routines.

If you want to be a BBer, Rippetoe isn't your answer.
    Who was this love of yours?

drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drlvegas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you can get your hands on a copy of "Starting Strength", do it. It has very good descriptions on how and why to properly perform the basic lifts, along with some rationale behind the programming it suggests. Even if you decide to go the bodybuilding route, learning to lift properly and building initial strength and mass is a good start.

When my wife drags me to the gym(rather than training at home), I am always amazed that I don't see some of the PT clients being taken out on a stretcher. They have people doing some of the most unproductive and dangerous looking ****--worse than they would probably create on their own.

booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post

That's funny
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=107853341

Thanks for the help guys. I have decided to go with AllPro's guide but I have to go easy on the knee.

Perhaps I should have it looked at to be sure.

Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwXy8Dlgvzo&NR=1