Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000)

Many Questions Needed to Be Answered(very serious and long)

Alright, I know I'm a teenager but I'm looking for wise answers for my questions. The Teen section is full of fail. I have been seriously lifting since August. I have lifted since my freshman year in highschool. I'm now a senior. I did not lift my junior year so I have been lifting for 3 years. Up till August of this year I could bench press 225 at 145 pounds bodyweight. Which is about 1.5x my bw.

Anyways, in august I got on a better meal plan and more advanced work outs. I specialized in high volume, and muscle training twice a week. Shoulders and legs I only did once a week or none at all. (I'm bad on skipping wednesday work outs).

I went from 145 (11% bodyfat) to:
    152 (6% bodyfat) - 275 Bench Press
    160 (7% bodyfat) - 315 Bench Press
    165 (7% bodyfat) - 320-325 Bench Press. <--- (Here now)

As you can see I lost all my bodyfat before actually growing alot of muscle. I did not change my diet whats soever from the time I started losing body fat and to the time I jumped up in pure lean muscle.

Now my meal plans look like this. (usally)

Breafest:
    Bowl of Cereal

Breakfest 2:
    Apple + Banna + Glass of Milk

Lunch 1:
    Lean Meat + Veggie + Snicker Bar(Not always but I cheat alot)

Lunch 2:
    Handful of Pecans + Glass of Milk + 2 Scoops Whey(only sometimes)

Dinner 1:
    Protien Shake

Dinner 2:
    Lean Meat + Veggie.

As far as my work outs go.. They usally look like this:

BB Bench Press 4x(Warm up,10,5,3)
    BB Incline 3x10
    BB Decline 3x10
    Dips 3x20 SS 3x20 Incline Push Ups
    Tricep Pull down: 3x10
    Skull Crushers 3x10
    Reverse Dips Dropset 1x(Start at 5 plates)
    Weighted Hanging Knee Raise 3x30 (10 infront then 10 on each side)
    Weighted Incline Sit ups 3x10
    Incline Leg Raises 3x15
    Weighted Seated Knee Raises 3x15
    Mid-Air Side Crunch 3x30 (15 on each side)

Tuesday (Upper Back and Bis)

Dead Lift 3x(10,10,Failure)
    Wide Grip Pull ups with hold at top 2x10
    Close Grip Pull ups with hold at top 2x10
    Bent Over Rows 4x(Warm up,10,10,5)
    Pull Downs 3x10
    Pull Downs behind head 3x10
    One Armed Rows 3x10
    BB Curls 3x10
    Seated DB Curls 3x10
    Hammer Curls 2x30(15 each arm)
    Incline Curls 3x10
    Wiggle Bar Curls 1xFailure(drop set)

Wednesday (Lower Back, Legs, Shoulders, Abs)

Squat 3x(Warm up, 20, 20)
    Leg Extensions 4x20
    Leg Curls 4x20
    Weighted Lunges 3x12
    Seated BB front shoulder press 3x10
    Seated BB back shoulder press 3x10
    DB Side Raises 3x10
    DB Front Raises 3x10
    Shrugs 4x10
    Incline Leg Raises 3x15

Thursday (Chest and Tris)

DB Bench press 4x(warmup,10,10,10)
    Incline DB Bench press 3x10
    DB Flys 3x10
    Reverse Grip BB Bench press 3x10
    Weighted Dips 3x10 (usally 3 plates)
    Tricep Pull Downs 3x10
    Skull Crushers 3x10
    Reverse Drips Drop set 1xfailure

Friday (Back, Bis, Abs)

Weighted Pull ups 3x10
    Pull Downs 2x10
    Behind Head pull downs 2x10
    Machine Rows 3x10
    DB Bent over Rows 3x10
    One armed rows 3x10
    DB Curls 3x20(10 each arm)
    Seated DB Curls 3x10
    Seated Hammer DB Curls 3x10
    Isolation One Armed DB curls 3x10 SS Incline Curls 3x10
    Incline Leg Raises 3x15
    Mid-Air Side Crunch 3x30 (15 on each side).

Now, I got alot of things going through my mind and its really bothering me. I always feel like I'm going off track or Im walling out etc. etc.

What should I change about my diet to really get max muscle growth and minimal fat addition?

How can I differ my work out to shock my muscles? Im feeling like my body is starting to adjust to my work out posted above and my gains will start to decline rapidly.

On weekends I find myself not eating right at all. I sleep in late and just dont consume the right foods. How bad is this effecting me?

I have heard of routines incorperating odd muscle combinations such as chest/bis and back/tris. How effective are these combs? and should I consider doing them? What would be a good 5 day split on this? (I like to train muscles twice a week).

I'm going off to college soon and I reallyworry about getting the right foods in. What is really easy to make and can be eaten alot for good gains. I was thinking chicken and rice?

Is it easier to eat clean and stay at a low body fat (sub 9%) while trying to gain muscle or is it truely better to get alot of fat and muscle on at the same time and cut? (I'm really bad about letting myself get fat. I like having some abdominal definition).

Would training my obliques make my waist bigger or would it truely help in making my abs look nicer? I kind of want to go for the ribbed look on the sides (my seratus is ripped but the lower internal obliques are not). but at the same time I wanna maintain a V shaped back.

Thanks for the help guys. Serious thread serious answers please.
    165 SPF Power lifter, "Live life with no worries and just do it" - Slavich
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012
    "A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." – Thomas Jefferson (1801)

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just a comment from a nutritional standpoint. I'm kinda amazed you're able to put on weight at your age consuming so few calories.

That being said...as anyone here will tell you...calories = size.

You need adequate proteins (say 150+ grams minimum per day), you need adequate and HEALTHY carbs (fruits/veggies vs doritos) and some fats...but healthy fats will be utilized better than saturated fats and less likely to end up stored.

A good macro is 40% protein / 40% carbs / 20% healthy fats

At your age and activity level, I think 4,000 calories is very realistic. Keep an eye out for any fat buildups. If you keep your calories clean and very healthy (no snickers bars, soda, chips, beer, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, etc) your body will utilize those calories for building lean body mass and minimize fat deposits.

Lastly, try and get some of the staples in your diet...cause THEY WORK.

Make sure you eat a quality carb with that shake...1/4 cup of quaker oats is good, or a piece of whole grain bread or a piece of fruit
    Sweet potatoes
    Oats (quaker whole oats)
    Wild rice/brown rice
    More fruit (think different colors)
    A calcium supplement (calcium citrate with a magnesium/zinc mixture) wouldn't hurt
    Baked fish (or tunafish/canned salmon)
    The pecans are good fats (unsalted?) ... other sources of good fats are avocados, walnuts, almonds

In general....make everymeal a combination of protein & carb...in your breakfast two you have 2 pieces of fruit and some milk...You may want to consider trying to get at least 25g of protein per meal. It will benefit you and yield results in a very short period of time. Trust me.
    Last edited by JC480; 12-10-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Whoa....the volume in your routine is insane. The reason why your gains are starting to slow may be diet related, but they may also be because you are doing massive volume 5 days per week and you aren't getting the recovery time you need. Remember, growth occurs during the recovery period, not in the gym.

That said, you must be doing something right if you are benching twice your body weight. Your deadlift isn't bad either for 155-160 pounds. If you reach your goal of 585 at 180, you'll get big time props from me!

Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000) Slavich is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JC480 View Post
    Just a comment from a nutritional standpoint. I'm kinda amazed you're able to put on weight at your age consuming so few calories.

You need adequate proteins (say 150+ grams minimum per day), you need adequate and HEALTHY carbs (fruits/veggies vs doritos) and some fats...but healthy fats will be utilized better than saturated fats and less likely to end up stored.

A good macro is 40% protein / 40% carbs / 20% healthy fats

At your age and activity level, I think 4,000 calories is very realistic. Keep an eye out for any fat buildups. If you keep your calories clean and very healthy (no snickers bars, soda, chips, beer, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, etc) your body will utilize those calories for building lean body mass and minimize fat deposits.
    Well I never really hinted at my portion size. but I def. think I should eat more. I think I get in around 3-3500 calories on a weekday.
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012
    "A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." – Thomas Jefferson (1801)

Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Whoa....the volume in your routine is insane. The reason why your gains are starting to slow may be diet related, but they may also be because you are doing massive volume 5 days per week and you aren't getting the recovery time you need. Remember, growth occurs during the recovery period, not in the gym.

That said, you must be doing something right if you are benching twice your body weight. Your deadlift isn't bad either for 155-160 pounds. If you reach your goal of 585 at 180, you'll get big time props from me!
    Yea Ill deload and do a 3 day split every 8-10 weeks. On a deload week right now which I only workout Monday thursday and friday. but I'm starting to think its diet related. I have been having alot of energy issues. I use to be booming with energy and now I'm constantly tired. probably from not eating enough for my muscle mass now. but I havent leveled off yet on my lifts but I feel like its coming SOON.
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow, a lot of questions there, I'll take an easy one.

Originally Posted by Slavich View Post
    I'm going off to college soon and I reallyworry about getting the right foods in.
    I w/o in a college gym - I would recommend getting into whatever fitness program that gives you access to the weight rooms the day you move onto campus. The next day I would hit the gym. And the day after that. And the day after that. When you start early in the gym at school you'll rub shoulders with some guys who've been around awhile and know how to eat healthy on the mealplan. I was amazed when I went from my HS gym to a college one, some serious mass can happen from 18-21.

Cliffs:
    get to know resident BB'ers
    eat with them
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    I'll second that.

Mind you if anyone can get away with insane volumn its a young guy (my volume when young was pretty insane too).

He's made good progress none the less juding by his lifts.

Originally Posted by JC480 View Post
    I'll second that too.

Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Wow, a lot of questions there, I'll take an easy one.

I w/o in a college gym - I would recommend getting into whatever fitness program that gives you access to the weight rooms the day you move onto campus. The next day I would hit the gym. And the day after that. And the day after that. When you start early in the gym at school you'll rub shoulders with some guys who've been around awhile and know how to eat healthy on the mealplan. I was amazed when I went from my HS gym to a college one, some serious mass can happen from 18-21.

Cliffs:
    get to know resident BB'ers
    eat with them
    Ha very very good advice.
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmhester is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Same as above. Your volume is off the chain and your calories are way too low. You have to eat like your a 250 pound linebacker. I've heard the folks here swearing by the Rippetoe program which seems perfect for your stage of training. (I'm a DC guy but you need a few more years before trying that out).
    Honestly, if I could go back and talk to myself at your age I would say 3 things:
    1. Stay consistent. Stay on a workout schedule come heck or high water.
    2. Eat, eat, eat and then eat some more.
    3. Build strength and the size will come. Try for more reps or more weight each and every workout.
    The truth is that this is really simple. We tend to over-analyze this stuff sometimes. Lift, eat, repeat. It's really that easy.
    Hope that helps and come here anytime!
    Oh, and stop reading all those BB mags. It's mostly BS anyway.
    DC Disciple

"The only difference between saying you're gonna do something and doing something is actually doing something." - Ronnie Coleman

"Do I need to remind you this is my weak arm?"

Originally Posted by jmhester View Post
    Same as above. Your volume is off the chain and your calories are way too low. You have to eat like your a 250 pound linebacker. I've heard the folks here swearing by the Rippetoe program which seems perfect for your stage of training. (I'm a DC guy but you need a few more years before trying that out).
    Honestly, if I could go back and talk to myself at your age I would say 3 things:
    1. Stay consistent. Stay on a workout schedule come heck or high water.
    2. Eat, eat, eat and then eat some more.
    3. Build strength and the size will come. Try for more reps or more weight each and every workout.
    The truth is that this is really simple. We tend to over-analyze this stuff sometimes. Lift, eat, repeat. It's really that easy.
    Hope that helps and come here anytime!
    Oh, and stop reading all those BB mags. It's mostly BS anyway.
    High volume works well for me. Otherwise I dont feel nothing at all =\ but everyone always says Im crazy for doing it but whenever I go to the gym most of the more experienced guys say its the right thing to do. Its really confusing. but your right about the eating thing. The scare of losing abs really bothers me since I just now got them ;\.

The most important question I need answered is the chest/bis and back/tris ones. Any opinions guys?
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    . The scare of losing abs really bothers me since I just now got them ;\.
    ?
    you're definitely not losing them... just hiding them, that means they will come back whenever you decide
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I wonder if doing each body part 2 a week and breaking up your chest/tri & back/bi into chest/bi & back/tri, isn't going to be overtraining your arms? After all, bi's get worked on back day and tri's get worked on chest and shoulder day. What you'll end up with is directly or indirectly training arms 4 days a week.

That's too much in my book.

Can you tolerate eating canned tuna straight out of the can? If so I'd stock up cases in your dorm room next fall to supplement the low protein content of most cafeteria food.

Good Luck!
    Was friends with Methuselah

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yea Ill deload and do a 3 day split every 8-10 weeks. On a deload week right now which I only workout Monday thursday and friday. but I'm starting to think its diet related. I have been having alot of energy issues. I use to be booming with energy and now I'm constantly tired. probably from not eating enough for my muscle mass now. but I havent leveled off yet on my lifts but I feel like its coming SOON.

Not eating enough of the "right" foods. You're working way to hard to be eating empty calories. JC480 gave you some good advice. And if you've been on this routine since August, it is ok to take a little time off...completely. Go fishing or something. Allowing your CNS and muscles a little down time can make you body very happy....before you start breaking it down again.. You've made excellent progress. Keep learning and you'll do great.

What are some 'right' foods.
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Here's a short list to help you choose from

Protein

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughy, tilapia, Sardines)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Ostrich
    Pork (lean)
    Protein Powder (Whey, Casein, Soy, Egg)
    Eggs
    Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low fat or Non fat Yogurt
    Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (stew meat, London broil, Stir fry)
    Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon)
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajitas)
    Eye of Round (Cube meat, Stew meat, Bottom Round)
    Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices or cutlets (*no deli or sandwich meats)

Complex Carbs (nothing enriched, bleached or processed if possible)

Oatmeal (Old fashioned, Quick oats, Irish steal cut)
    Sweet Potatoes, Yams
    Beans (Black eyed, Pinto, Red, Kidney, Black)
    Oat Bran Cereal, Grape nuts, Rye cereal, Multi grain hot cereal
    Farin (Cream of wheat)
    Whole Wheat frozen Bagels, Pitas
    Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta, Whey Pasta
    Rice (Brown, white, jasmin, basmati, arborio, wild)
    Potatoes (red, white, baking)

Fibrous Carbs

Green Leafy lettuce (red, green, romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers (Green or Red)
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Carrots
    Eggplant
    Onions
    Pumpkin
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini

Fruit (If acceptable on diet)
    bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

Healthy Fats

Natural Style Peanut Butter
    Olive oil, Safflower oil
    Flaxseed oil
    Fish Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)

Dairy

Eggs
    Low of Non-Fat cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low or non-fat milk
    Low fat or non-fat yogurt

Condiments & Spices

Diet Soda
    Crystal light
    Fat free mayonnaise
    Reduced sodium Soy Sauce
    Reduced sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    balsamic Vinegar
    Salsa, Jalapenos
    Hot peppers and Hot sauce, Cayenne pepper
    Chili powder and Chili paste
    Mrs. Dash
    Steak Sauce
    Sugar free Maple Syrup
    Mustard
    Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
    Low sodium beef or chicken Broth
    Plain or reduced sodium tomato sauce
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Here's a short list to help you choose from

Protein

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughy, tilapia, Sardines)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Ostrich
    Pork (lean)
    Protein Powder (Whey, Casein, Soy, Egg)
    Eggs
    Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low fat or Non fat Yogurt
    Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (stew meat, London broil, Stir fry)
    Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon)
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajitas)
    Eye of Round (Cube meat, Stew meat, Bottom Round)
    Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices or cutlets (*no deli or sandwich meats)

Complex Carbs (nothing enriched, bleached or processed if possible)

Oatmeal (Old fashioned, Quick oats, Irish steal cut)
    Sweet Potatoes, Yams
    Beans (Black eyed, Pinto, Red, Kidney, Black)
    Oat Bran Cereal, Grape nuts, Rye cereal, Multi grain hot cereal
    Farin (Cream of wheat)
    Whole Wheat frozen Bagels, Pitas
    Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta, Whey Pasta
    Rice (Brown, white, jasmin, basmati, arborio, wild)
    Potatoes (red, white, baking)

Fibrous Carbs

Green Leafy lettuce (red, green, romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers (Green or Red)
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Carrots
    Eggplant
    Onions
    Pumpkin
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini

Fruit (If acceptable on diet)
    bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

Healthy Fats

Natural Style Peanut Butter
    Olive oil, Safflower oil
    Flaxseed oil
    Fish Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)

Dairy

Eggs
    Low of Non-Fat cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low or non-fat milk
    Low fat or non-fat yogurt

Condiments & Spices

Diet Soda
    Crystal light
    Fat free mayonnaise
    Reduced sodium Soy Sauce
    Reduced sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    balsamic Vinegar
    Salsa, Jalapenos
    Hot peppers and Hot sauce, Cayenne pepper
    Chili powder and Chili paste
    Mrs. Dash
    Steak Sauce
    Sugar free Maple Syrup
    Mustard
    Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
    Low sodium beef or chicken Broth
    Plain or reduced sodium tomato sauce
    VERY NICE
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Most of everything has already been touched upon.First thing is eat and eat some more(the right foods)but another big thing is to make sure you are getting plenty of sleep, that is when your body does a huge part of rebuilding.I know at your age I pretty much stayed up partying of other activities.Some of the best gains I have ever made was when I could work out then eat and take a short nap after.I know that is not always feasible,just an example.

Originally Posted by steelhorse1971 View Post
    Most of everything has already been touched upon.First thing is eat and eat some more(the right foods)but another big thing is to make sure you are getting plenty of sleep, that is when your body does a huge part of rebuilding.I know at your age I pretty much stayed up partying of other activities.Some of the best gains I have ever made was when I could work out then eat and take a short nap after.I know that is not always feasible,just an example.
    There are still a few things needing some answering.
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelhorse1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well keeping your abs will determine if you can see your abs.As for shocking your muscles just do something you havent done before ie heavy weight with low reps or drop weight and increase reps.I have had luck with having my training partner have me do a full set of failure at the end.Basically he helps me with every rep and I lower the bar as slowly as possible(these hurt)
    bty props on you weights I am 6ft and 195 and cant bench 315
    Last edited by steelhorse1971; 12-11-2008 at 06:43 AM.

Originally Posted by steelhorse1971 View Post
    Well keeping your abs will determine if you can see your abs.As for shocking your muscles just do something you havent done before ie heavy weight with low reps or drop weight and increase reps.I have had luck with having my training partner have me do a full set of failure at the end.Basically he helps me with every rep and I lower the bar as slowly as possible(these hurt)
    bty props on you weights I am 6ft and 195 and cant bench 315
    repped for compliment
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do you mind imput from an old grandpa? I have 3 grandkids your age, two athletic girls and a 21 year old grandson who lifts no more than a glass of beer and poker cards. You are a delight.

For kicks and giggles here is my diet and training (wrestling team) when I was 18. 6'1" and 185.

Breakfast: dozen scrambled eggs using 2 only yolks. 4-6 slices of wheat toast with home made jam. One banana and a quart of milk.

Morning snack: Tuna sandwich and quart of milk.

Lunch: Two tuna sandwiches, apple and quart of milk

Afterschool snack: protein drink (we had crappy soy protein then). 2 scoops protein, orange juice, one scoop of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 and 1/2 cream and whip it up. A handfull of descicated liver and brewers yeast tablet were chased down. (fart city)

5pm gym time

7pm dinner was all mom would serve me plus I asked for seconds...incl desert.

Training was 4 days a week. Spread out....Squats, deadlifts, weighted chins, weighted dips, T bar rowing, Smith machine delts, incline bench, Olympic bar curls, calf raises, crunches....thats all. Otherwise I played a lot of summer basket ball in those days and skiied in the winter.

As you can see....tons of food and just the bascis. I had a perpetual six (4 1/2) pack. You seem to be very intense, under fed and over trained....but what the hey...I'm just and old school old cogger.

Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post
    Do you mind imput from an old grandpa? I have 3 grandkids your age, two athletic girls and a 21 year old grandson who lifts no more than a glass of beer and poker cards. You are a delight.

For kicks and giggles here is my diet and training (wrestling team) when I was 18. 6'1" and 185.

Breakfast: dozen scrambled eggs using 2 only yolks. 4-6 slices of wheat toast with home made jam. One banana and a quart of milk.

Afterschool snack: protein drink (we had crappy soy protein then). 2 scoops protein, orange juice, one scoop of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 and 1/2 cream and whip it up. A handfull of descicated liver and brewers yeast tablet were chased down. (fart city)

5pm gym time

Training was 4 days a week. Spread out....Squats, deadlifts, weighted chins, weighted dips, T bar rowing, Smith machine delts, incline bench, Olympic bar curls, calf raises, crunches....thats all. Otherwise I played a lot of summer basket ball in those days and skiied in the winter.

As you can see....tons of food and just the bascis. I had a perpetual six (4 1/2) pack. You seem to be very intense, under fed and over trained....but what the hey...I'm just and old school old cogger.

I havent felt over trained until this week which is why i took a major deload.
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Alright, I know I'm a teenager but I'm looking for wise answers for my questions. The Teen section is full of fail. I have been seriously lifting since August. I have lifted since my freshman year in highschool. I'm now a senior. I did not lift my junior year so I have been lifting for 3 years. Up till August of this year I could bench press 225 at 145 pounds bodyweight. Which is about 1.5x my bw.

Anyways, in august I got on a better meal plan and more advanced work outs. I specialized in high volume, and muscle training twice a week. Shoulders and legs I only did once a week or none at all. (I'm bad on skipping wednesday work outs).

I went from 145 (11% bodyfat) to:
    152 (6% bodyfat) - 275 Bench Press
    160 (7% bodyfat) - 315 Bench Press
    165 (7% bodyfat) - 320-325 Bench Press. <--- (Here now)

As you can see I lost all my bodyfat before actually growing alot of muscle. I did not change my diet whats soever from the time I started losing body fat and to the time I jumped up in pure lean muscle.

Now my meal plans look like this. (usally)

Breafest:
    Bowl of Cereal

Breakfest 2:
    Apple + Banna + Glass of Milk

Lunch 1:
    Lean Meat + Veggie + Snicker Bar(Not always but I cheat alot)

Lunch 2:
    Handful of Pecans + Glass of Milk + 2 Scoops Whey(only sometimes)

Dinner 1:
    Protien Shake

Dinner 2:
    Lean Meat + Veggie.

As far as my work outs go.. They usally look like this:

BB Bench Press 4x(Warm up,10,5,3)
    BB Incline 3x10
    BB Decline 3x10
    Dips 3x20 SS 3x20 Incline Push Ups
    Tricep Pull down: 3x10
    Skull Crushers 3x10
    Reverse Dips Dropset 1x(Start at 5 plates)
    Incline Leg Raises 3x15

Tuesday (Upper Back and Bis)

Wide Grip Pull ups with hold at top 2x10
    Close Grip Pull ups with hold at top 2x10
    Bent Over Rows 4x(Warm up,10,10,5)
    Pull Downs 3x10
    Pull Downs behind head 3x10
    One Armed Rows 3x10
    BB Curls 3x10
    Seated DB Curls 3x10
    Hammer Curls 2x30(15 each arm)
    Incline Curls 3x10
    Wiggle Bar Curls 1xFailure(drop set)

Wednesday (Lower Back, Legs, Shoulders, Abs)

Squat 3x(Warm up, 20, 20)
    Leg Extensions 4x20
    Leg Curls 4x20
    Weighted Lunges 3x12
    Seated BB front shoulder press 3x10
    Seated BB back shoulder press 3x10
    DB Side Raises 3x10
    DB Front Raises 3x10
    Shrugs 4x10
    Incline Leg Raises 3x15

Thursday (Chest and Tris)

DB Bench press 4x(warmup,10,10,10)
    Incline DB Bench press 3x10
    DB Flys 3x10
    Reverse Grip BB Bench press 3x10
    Weighted Dips 3x10 (usally 3 plates)
    Tricep Pull Downs 3x10
    Skull Crushers 3x10
    Reverse Drips Drop set 1xfailure

Friday (Back, Bis, Abs)

Weighted Pull ups 3x10
    Pull Downs 2x10
    Behind Head pull downs 2x10
    Machine Rows 3x10
    DB Bent over Rows 3x10
    One armed rows 3x10
    DB Curls 3x20(10 each arm)
    Seated DB Curls 3x10
    Seated Hammer DB Curls 3x10
    Isolation One Armed DB curls 3x10 SS Incline Curls 3x10
    Incline Leg Raises 3x15
    Mid-Air Side Crunch 3x30 (15 on each side).

Now, I got alot of things going through my mind and its really bothering me. I always feel like I'm going off track or Im walling out etc. etc.

What should I change about my diet to really get max muscle growth and minimal fat addition?

How can I differ my work out to shock my muscles? Im feeling like my body is starting to adjust to my work out posted above and my gains will start to decline rapidly.

On weekends I find myself not eating right at all. I sleep in late and just dont consume the right foods. How bad is this effecting me?

I have heard of routines incorperating odd muscle combinations such as chest/bis and back/tris. How effective are these combs? and should I consider doing them? What would be a good 5 day split on this? (I like to train muscles twice a week).

I'm going off to college soon and I reallyworry about getting the right foods in. What is really easy to make and can be eaten alot for good gains. I was thinking chicken and rice?

Is it easier to eat clean and stay at a low body fat (sub 9%) while trying to gain muscle or is it truely better to get alot of fat and muscle on at the same time and cut? (I'm really bad about letting myself get fat. I like having some abdominal definition).

Would training my obliques make my waist bigger or would it truely help in making my abs look nicer? I kind of want to go for the ribbed look on the sides (my seratus is ripped but the lower internal obliques are not). but at the same time I wanna maintain a V shaped back.

Thanks for the help guys. Serious thread serious answers please.
    I am not going to break down everything: But hear is my two cents worth. This coming from a guy who was 130lbs at age 17.

1. Lift w/more basic mass type lifts.
    2. Keep your reps under 10 ( personally I would say 6-8 )
    3. Eat lots of protein and good carbs
    4. SAVE your shoulders,,,they hinge everything, you screw up a shoulder GAME OVER.
    5. Keep it simple and fun and get great overall results.I think your "over thinking this a littlle too much.

I lifted w/some power lifters etc and body builders, I went from 130 lbs to a nice cut 180-190 range in my 20's..dont believe the hype and workouts of all the mags out there...JUST USE INTENSITY, I could not bench alot of weight, but there was no one in the gym that could match my intensity

Good luck...you have great goals..dont forget to enjoy the journey..
    " Your only true competion in life is the person who works harder then you "

By saying to save your shoulders are you saying not to work them?
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My humble 2 cents:

Doing X sets of X, to me, is like running the first 85 meters of a 100 meter dash....and stopping. Run all the way thru.

Hit it hard for a few sets to temporary failure, then go on to the next.

Research HIT (not HIIT) and see if it appeals to you.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post

5pm gym time

You have to be kidding me. How did you get that much food down at once? I thought I could eat a lot but damn!

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Doesnt look like you are getting enough fat. I would add macadamias, avocados, fatty fish like salmon. And some dairy like yoghurt.

To keep a 6pack get bodyfat <10%. You may need cardio to do this.
    Last edited by GregT; 12-11-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    * ÊÇɹɔ ÇıssnÉ *

Im at 7% body fat already
    ~Ron Paul~ 2012

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dug...I could eat that much now.....just need to hold it back. At this advanced age I can no longer hold ripped abs without serious dieting. Our OP needs to eat MORE. I still can not be trusted with a box of graham crackers and a jar of P Nut Butter in the house at the same time.....I get the sweats just typing it.

dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dug70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    man, I gotta work on my eating habits.