Thread: Building Speed

cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Building Speed

OK well I've gained weight lately on purpose and I want to get used to it and be able to run fast for my weight. I'm decently fast but need to get faster.

Anyway I was wondering what are some good exercises to get faster or what's a good site to find some?

Also I'm trying to get faster for running back and I've gained muscle and fat but quite a bit of fat, so should I lose it and get used to that weight? Or just stay this way and get used to it also?
    www.cadengrant.com

CurrentlyCutting
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 179lbs
    Bench: 210x1
    Squat: 280x1

=D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cadengrant View Post
    OK well I've gained weight lately on purpose and I want to get used to it and be able to run fast for my weight. I'm decently fast but need to get faster.

Anyway I was wondering what are some good exercises to get faster or what's a good site to find some?

Also I'm trying to get faster for running back and I've gained muscle and fat but quite a bit of fat, so should I lose it and get used to that weight? Or just stay this way and get used to it also?
    In the weight room 2 days a week doing barbell lunges and straight legged deadlift. Work this into your current routine.

Also if you have access to a track, sprint 40 yards, walk 100, sprint 40, walk 100. I'd reccomend 3-5 miles of this. Its not nearly as much as it sounds. Goal is to sprint as hard as you can, but walk long enough to keep your heart rate fairly low. No reason to lose too much muscle while training for speed.

Flexibility and balance workouts are also very important, do some research into compound stretching and do some type of cone or line agility drills to improve balance.
    Last edited by Jordanr102; 12-08-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron_Martyr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Plyometrics and stretching are your best friends

BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000) BaGeL23 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jordanr102 View Post
    In the weight room 2 days a week doing barbell lunges and straight legged deadlift. Work this into your current routine.

Also if you have access to a track, sprint 40 yards, walk 100, sprint 40, walk 100. I'd reccomend 3-5 miles of this. Its not nearly as much as it sounds

Flexibility and balance workouts are also very important, do some research into compound stretching and do some type of cone or line agility drills to improve balance.
    This.
    BB.com OG
    2k+
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173319421

cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jordanr102 View Post

Also if you have access to a track, sprint 40 yards, walk 100, sprint 40, walk 100. I'd reccomend 3-5 miles of this. Its not nearly as much as it sounds. Goal is to sprint as hard as you can, but walk long enough to keep your heart rate fairly low. No reason to lose too much muscle while training for speed.

Thanks I'll try that. But will that really increase my speed? I don't see how.
    www.cadengrant.com

CurrentlyCutting

=D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks I'll try that. But will that really increase my speed? I don't see how.
    It will strengthen your hamstrings and glutes, which are very important to speed. And balance and flexibility are the two most important factors of speed

OK thanks. So plyometrics, what are they? Exercises that work on speed and agility? Where can I find these?
    www.cadengrant.com

CurrentlyCutting

OK thanks. So plyometrics, what are they? Exercises that work on speed and agility? Where can I find these?
    Google, youtube

OK thanks.
    www.cadengrant.com

CurrentlyCutting