8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How many deadlifts/squats per week are fine?

And when should I do them? I have three different workouts (each twice weekly):

Back/biceps
    Chest/triceps
    Shoulders/legs

How many times should I deadlift/squat each week? Where do I put them in the above mentioned split, and where shouldn't I put them?

KernKraft Muskeln Dire.Straits.'s Avatar
    Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 8-Hype View Post
    And when should I do them? I have three different workouts (each twice weekly):

Back/biceps
    Chest/triceps
    Shoulders/legs

How many times should I deadlift/squat each week? Where do I put them in the above mentioned split, and where shouldn't I put them?
    Simply said theres no straight answer to how often you need to do them. It all depends on you. Experiment for a while, find a frequency that works for you.

As to your other question:
    Deadlifts = Back (But do work legs to a certain extent)
    Squats = Legs

Steve
    Only one body.
    BUILD IT!

Targets:

9% BodyFat [ ]
    175lbs [x]
    185lbs [x]
    200lbs [ ]

8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 8-Hype has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Dire.Straits. View Post
    As to your other question:
    Deadlifts = Back (But do work legs to a certain extent)
    Squats = Legs
    Yeah, but some suggested not doing them on those days as it would be too much for the part of the body.

The deadlifts also burn my abs pretty hard. Could I possibly just drop ab training if I do deads three times a week?

Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, but some suggested not doing them on those days as it would be too much for the part of the body.

The deadlifts also burn my abs pretty hard. Could I possibly just drop ab training if I do deads three times a week?
    It all depends what else you are doing for those body parts, but I would suggest making these two exercises the baseline of your leg and back workouts. They are the cornerstone of progression.
    Also,
    Since deadlifts are compound (and hit your core really hard) then its possible that they will cause slight soreness in your abs.
    If your still bothered about working your abs then go for it, but if you feel your abs are already being worked enough by your lifts then an ab workout is not necessary. There are many lifters out there who dont specifically train there abs yet they still have a fully developed core.
    But I wouldnt advise doing deadlifts 3x a week so you can exclude ab work. This would most likely lead to overtraining on deadlifts, and would be damaging.
    Only one body.
    BUILD IT!

Targets:

9% BodyFat [ ]
    175lbs [x]
    185lbs [x]
    200lbs [ ]

Originally Posted by Dire.Straits. View Post
    It all depends what else you are doing for those body parts, but I would suggest making these two exercises the baseline of your leg and back workouts. They are the cornerstone of progression.
    Also,
    Since deadlifts are compound (and hit your core really hard) then its possible that they will cause slight soreness in your abs.
    If your still bothered about working your abs then go for it, but if you feel your abs are already being worked enough by your lifts then an ab workout is not necessary. There are many lifters out there who dont specifically train there abs yet they still have a fully developed core.
    But I wouldnt advise doing deadlifts 3x a week so you can exclude ab work. This would most likely lead to overtraining on deadlifts, and would be damaging.
    So how does twice a week for squats and deadlifts, respectively, sound? And the other times ab workout? By the way: Rep'd.

kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000) kaos336 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Deads are a Leg exercise that use the back to stabilize. A lot of people do Deads on back day because doing Deads and Squats on the same day would take a huge toll on you. I do the same split as you, but only over 3 days. I work everything once a week and rest on weekends. You can do twice a week if your body recovers fast enough, but nobody here can answer that. Like Dire.Straits. said, you have to figure out what your body can handle.
    Last edited by kaos336; 12-06-2008 at 10:10 AM.

So how does twice a week for squats and deadlifts, respectively, sound? And the other times ab workout? By the way: Rep'd.

Cheers bro, ill hit ya back on recharge.
    Twice a week sounds ok for both. Maybe when you start hitting alot heavier weights you'll wanna lower that frequency to allow your body more recovery time, but at the moment twice a week for each is good for getting your body used to the movement.
    Only one body.
    BUILD IT!

Targets:

9% BodyFat [ ]
    175lbs [x]
    185lbs [x]
    200lbs [ ]

hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think if you have only been lifting for a year or so, twice a week squats and once a week deads are good. I still find myself able to progress almost weekly on both using that format. Minimal other leg work though if doing this.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Frequency will probably need to decrease with time.

I stared doing DL's once a week. Now, it's every other week, with plenty of accessory movements in between.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

So in other words, at the beginning I should do more of them and as time progresses and I get used to this exercise, I should do it less frequently, like once a week?

And if I'm sore, is that a sign that I had too much and shouldn't be doing any of them until the soreness is gone?

StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000)
    And if I'm sore, is that a sign that I had too much and shouldn't be doing any of them until the soreness is gone?
    Soreness means your body isn't used to it.
    You can lift weights for years, be strong and fit as hell, then switch your routine around and do some new exercises, you'll be sore.

For a week or two only do only do once a week so you can get used to the exercises. Then bump it up to twice a week (spread out) and try something like 3x8 for awhile.

You can workout while sore, just don't go all out.

imho

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I did three sets of each, twice a week - that was about all I could do. Thinking back I'd do them once a week if I did 3 sets or more.
    --- Nick ---

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how are we supposed to know how much your body can handle?, like seriously..

joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeysby is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

i do squats and deads once a week on the same day.... i never max out on deads or squats like before and i keep the weight light now. i only use SLDs as my lower back and hamstring exercise after squats (wich i am staying lighter on as well) i am MUCH happier this way. it works perfect with my training split. and my back is thanking me for it. BTW i can now add cardio days with no probs on my back/legs.

for month i did the traditional back and leg day, and i couldnt adjust to it, i was sore in my lower back through the whole week till the next workout. i would go as heavy as i could on leg and back day, and it was WAY to much for me. i found this way to be more taxing on the body.

Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zoofus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are asking for frequency except that frequency of training a lift is determined by what exactly you'll be doing (volume and intensity). Most can do bodyweight squats twice a day 7 days a week. Most can do 85% of their 1RM for a single 5x a week. Most can't do 80% for 8 sets of 5, 3x per week but they could do it if the weight was 40%.

You can consider volume as the total number of reps and intensity as the weight used in relation to your best single in a lift.

The other side of this is that everyone is very different with the amount of volume they can handle and tolerance for training loads can be expanded by a very significant degree over time/experience. You need to know where you are right now and set up a program accordingly. If in doubt, error on the conservative and see how you do.

Throwing a dart at a board, squatting 2x per week is fine providing you aren't going balls out every time. Deadlifting more than 1x per week can be rough for an experienced trainee (unless you slash back assistance work and pay very close attention to volume and training parameters) so a second session would need to be light if you wanted to do one.

Originally Posted by Zoofus View Post
    You are asking for frequency except that frequency of training a lift is determined by what exactly you'll be doing (volume and intensity). Most can do bodyweight squats twice a day 7 days a week. Most can do 85% of their 1RM for a single 5x a week. Most can't do 80% for 8 sets of 5, 3x per week but they could do it if the weight was 40%.

You can consider volume as the total number of reps and intensity as the weight used in relation to your best single in a lift.

The other side of this is that everyone is very different with the amount of volume they can handle and tolerance for training loads can be expanded by a very significant degree over time/experience. You need to know where you are right now and set up a program accordingly. If in doubt, error on the conservative and see how you do.

Throwing a dart at a board, squatting 2x per week is fine providing you aren't going balls out every time. Deadlifting more than 1x per week can be rough for an experienced trainee (unless you slash back assistance work and pay very close attention to volume and training parameters) so a second session would need to be light if you wanted to do one.
    Rep'd.

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can do a 5x5 routine where you squat 3x a week, increasing the weight by 5 each workout. The only hangup is that once you exceed 1.5 times your bodyweight, adding pounds gets a bit tricky. You can see how far you can push it; I got 30 lbs over 1.5x my bodyweight before I had to change things up.

What I'm doing now is a system of volume/recovery/intensity days.

Monday would be a weight I KNOW I can do 5x5
    Wednesday would be 10% of Monday's, but 3x3 for recovery
    Friday would be where I would try to go heavier, like 265, but only for a heavy triple.

So:
    Monday- 265- 5x5
    Wednesday- About 230, 3x3
    Friday- 265 - 1x3

Then Monday would start with 265 and the cycle would start again.

There are other ways, I'm sure, but this one is a sound way to do it.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

Martinez45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

martinez45

It depends what u r comfortable with

Hoop21itup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squats x2 deadlifts x1

Originally Posted by hey_papi85 View Post
    I think if you have only been lifting for a year or so, twice a week squats and once a week deads are good. I still find myself able to progress almost weekly on both using that format. Minimal other leg work though if doing this.
    I like the squats x2 deadlifts x1 per week. I've even considered taken out deadlifts do to the frequency which I have injured myself doing them. Maybe even once every two weeks for deadlifts.....

orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Hoop21itup View Post
    I like the squats x2 deadlifts x1 per week. I've even considered taken out deadlifts do to the frequency which I have injured myself doing them. Maybe even once every two weeks for deadlifts.....
    if you injured yourself deadlifting lowering the frequency isn't the answer,actually learning how to deadlift is the answer.
    My workout log (candito's linear program): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165515901
    My strength training (road to powerlifting) log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173639391&p=1486170391#post1486170391

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was doing squats twice a week and deads twice a week but not on the same day. I do deads on upper day as I do upper lower split. Lately I found I had to drop the deadlifts down to once a week as I was finding it more challenging gone heavier. But squats twice a week still dandy.
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can do both 3x a week, Squats before Deadlifts, until you hit about a 275~ Squat, 315+ Deadlift. Then you'd want to switch to 2x deadlifts per week (Mon/Fri) but you can still continue to squat 3x a week (Mon/Wed/Fri) until about a 315 Squat and closer to 405 Deadlift (for reps, not singles)

Obviously everyone is different, but at 6'3 192 this should be about right. Just make sure your form is on point.