L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10) L-Guidomine is on a distinguished road. (+10)

does storing your mixed protein shake in the fridge render the protein useless?

if so, then how do they make those Ready-To-Drink stuff?

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

STEP YOUR FUNDS UP Neopragmatist's Avatar
    Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think heat treatment (pasteurization) and careful pH balance would help the stability, but I would believe that the protein is somewhat stripped of its full potential in terms of some important biological subfractions being lost.
    i take it for granted that no hearer of mine will misinterpret what I have to say as the language of cynicism

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shivboy View Post
    if so, then how do they make those Ready-To-Drink stuff?
    If it sits around mixed from powder, the biologically active / immunological properties of the protein would be diminished to some degree [time dependant] (i.e. delicate peptide fractions), but the aminos won't just disappear [what you mix it with influences this too].

Q. Why should I mix protein into a drink and consume it immediately?
    Immediately does not mean instantly. However, drinking within 30 minutes of mixing is smart since pure protein in the liquid form is an extremely fertile environment for airborne bacteria growth. Leaving a protein drink (reconstituted from powder) in a refrigerator for two hours is probably okay, but not overnight.

I haven't seen any data regarding how the pasteurization and processing affects the delicate fractions in RTDs.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    If it sits around mixed from powder, the biologically active / immunological properties of the protein would be diminished to some degree [time dependant] (i.e. delicate peptide fractions), but the aminos won't just disappear [what you mix it with influences this too].

Q. Why should I mix protein into a drink and consume it immediately?
    Immediately does not mean instantly. However, drinking within 30 minutes of mixing is smart since pure protein in the liquid form is an extremely fertile environment for airborne bacteria growth. Leaving a protein drink (reconstituted from powder) in a refrigerator for two hours is probably okay, but not overnight.

I haven't seen any data regarding how the pasteurization and processing affects the delicate fractions in RTDs.
    Agreed. I personally would guess mixed from powder protein would have a similar life as other nitrogen rich food you'd put in the fridge, though extremely fertile as pointed out. Cellular breakdown would most likely be sped up by the amount of catalysts helping in the process (oxygen, bacteria etc).

Because we are protein crazed perfectionists, I think you'll find most saying stir and drink. Although, if you are comfortable with a small percentage 'lost' you can store it cold, though not for too long because it is so fertile (you could get sick).
    Last edited by eddiebo; 12-05-2008 at 03:52 PM.

blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    smell a protein shake 6 hours after it has been mixed then tell me if you would want to drink it
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man

Steroids- a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by blacksmith77 View Post
    smell a protein shake 6 hours after it has been mixed then tell me if you would want to drink it
    Exactly. I don't know how bad the protein quality get's, but the flavor quality is pretty much ruined.