Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Build Me - An Ongoing Journey

Build Me - An Ongoing Journey

Hello.

A little over a year ago I couldn't care less about my body. I was 17, starting my senior year in high school, 5'6.5" and weighed 210lbs. In September, I'm not quite sure how, but something changed and I started to care.

My goal? To lose weight, and keep losing weight, and keep losing weight, and... You get the picture. I started small, always thinking in terms of 10lb increments. I would say "now I'm in the 180 range!" But, at the same time I would always acknowledge "imagine what it feels to be in the 170s!" I became obsessed.

I weighed myself everyday for motivation and penciled the number onto the wall above the scale in my bathroom. This mentality caused me to progressively eat less and less as it provided true results fast. By February I was 160lbs and eating, no drinking, coffee for breakfast, having a 150 calorie "low carb" protein bar for lunch, and consuming half of my plate filled with whatever my mother was cooking for dinner. I couldn't go further than that, and I was disappointed at still being in the 160s (now of course wanting to hit the 150s). At this point I started going to the gym.

I would go on the Elliptical Machine from 30 minutes to one hour whenever I was in the mood (usually maybe 3 times a week). I hit 156, and again stalled. At this point I figured I ought to get "real" answers. My local gym offered a free one hour personal training session that I took advantage of. Immediately Chris asked me what I eat, what my activity level was like, what I liked about myself and what I didn't like. After talking about my diet (which I under exaggerated as I was embarrassed about how little I was eating), Chris told me I had to eat more. He also went through some basic weight exercises on the machines throughout the gym. Overall though he recommended simply to "keep it up" while adding a little strength training and eating more.

Following his advice I ramped up my diet to include more food. I was still obsessed with the scale so I monitored the weight to make sure I didn't go up over consecutive days (something I was extremely scared of was gaining my lost weight back). After increasing my exercise (3-5 times a week now and including lifting weights on the machines) and eating more my weight seemed to stay level. I was not satisfied.

At this point it was ending my senior year and I was 155lbs. I decided to do some research. I participated in many forums (you may even recognize me). What I found was that I had to eat A LOT more, should exercise with more intensity, and stop the machines and do some serious weight lifting using free weights. I did all this. The one thing I did not do is increase my carbohydrates.

I was such a strong believer of the "low carb craze" because of how I DID lose weight, pounds and pounds of weight, by eating less but also by eating very little carbohydrates. I was pointed to FitDay during my research, and started a profile. It is here (http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...?Owner=mcFreid ) that you can see my macro ratio was 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carbohydrates (you may have to scroll back to earlier entries as I haven't updated since college). You can also see that in truth I still was not eating enough. But, with all these changes, my weight did drop. I should also note that I did take a few progress pictures during this time. They can be viewed at http://www.freidproductiones.com/images/bodybuilding/. I look better now, but don't have anything recent. I will be taking one soon and plan to consistently every week first thing in the morning on Sunday.

I hit 145lbs around mid-summer and have stayed at the weight ever since. I am fairly satisfied with it. Also, during the summer months I picked up an Omron Handheld Fat Analyzer. It placed me at 9-10% Body Fat consistently. I had a few more personal training sessions where I was given a caliper test which confirmed the 9-10% Body Fat. This was shockingly lower than I expected as I couldn't really see my abs even if flexed. I was also given other tests and my heart rate was found to incredibly low ~40 while my core seemed to severely lack in strength (again two other things that shocked me as I didn't think I had that great of a fitness level since 1 mile runs took it all out of me and I thought I had a stronger core since I can do planks for 2-3 minutes easy). Besides some further advice that I did integrate here and there, things stayed pretty much the same though I did start to eat a little more (2000-2250 calories now, but still "low carb").

At this point I started college. For a long time nothing really changed. I did have to eat different foods because of my dining plan. I also had to estimate the amount of food (before I was measuring it down to every calorie) and switch from five meals a day to three. I kept the scale though and kept the body fat analyzer (which now was reporting me at 7% BF). Using these two tools I made sure that my weight did not go up which became my standard for measuring how much I should eat.

After starting college I picked up Tae Kwon Do (now a yellow belt - woot!), which became some extra light to moderate cardio twice a week for an hour. I also started to walk very fast with a 30lb backpack around school, which I'm sure added to some decent exercise as well. After 8-10 weeks into the college life I noticed myself losing motivation and losing energy. I still kept up with the gym workouts (as outlined on my FitDay before I stopped recording), but they were becoming harder without any performance increases. So, I did some more research online.

My diet changed. That's what seemed to be the conclusion, change your diet. I followed the advice, still weighing in on the scale to make sure I was staying in range of my weight (still scared of gaining weight). I started to eat more. I increased my carbohydrates significantly. Later on I will outline what I ate today, but I imagine it is in the 2500-3000 calorie range. All of this did increase my energy as I hoped. Even better, my weight remained approximately the same as well as my body fat. One of the great perks was that I started to notice some outline and definition on my stomach for the first real time. I moved up the weights and increased my intensity on cardio days, feeling better about it all. And here I am today.

The question is now where to go? I have yet to organize this in a well thought out manner, but here are my goals. I want to be fit. The philosophy of "CrossFit" is what I would describe as my outcome, but I do not like the means. I don't like the randomized work out of the day methodology, instead preferring some form of routine as this way I can easily see performance gains for motivation. Those are my broad goals.

Specifically I want the following. I want to stay the same weight (or increase it slightly as long as it does not sacrifice performance in other non-lifting areas and does not increase body fat). I want to either stay the same body fat or lower it. I want to see abs and I mean really see them. I want to see no curl of fat when I bend over. I want to be ripped through every vein and muscle on my body. I want to bench my body weight. I want to squat and deadlift 200lbs. I do not want to be daunted by any "run test". This means I want a significantly above average mile time and want to have no fear of long distance running. I do not want to be daunted by any "fitness test". This means I want no fear of a pushup test, chin-up test, crunch test, squat test, any test. I want to be confident that I could pass any physical fitness test with flying colors. I want to take up a sport and be able to play at an active and energetic level. I want to be a fitness monster.

With that said, here is what I'm doing to get there (not including diet as there is some routine to it, but it does not vary as I am in college and do not have complete control - diet WILL be posted daily though). I should mention regarding the diet that I drink nothing but water or carbonated water, and I drink TONS of it - way more than enough I'm sure. I also do drink coffee purely for the taste (the caffeine seems to have little effect on me). I drink it guaranteed in the mornings and sometimes during the day or night (no it doesn't keep me up).

Standard Stretching Routines:

Mornings "Morn Stretching":
    8sec Quadriceps Stretch on each leg
    8sec Crossed-Leg Touch Toes Stretch on each leg
    8sec Elevated Leg Touch Toes Stretch on each leg
    8sec Arm and Shoulder Pulled Across Chest on each arm
    8sec Hand Down Spine Triceps Stretch on each arm
    5 Forward Arm Circles
    5 Backward Arm Circles

Before Cardio Workouts "Pre-Cardio Stretching":
    15sec Quadriceps Stretch on each leg
    15sec Crossed-Leg Touch Toes Stretch on each leg
    15sec Elevated Leg Touch Toes Stretch on each leg
    15sec Arm and Shoulder Pulled Across Chest on each arm
    15sec Hand Down Spine Triceps Stretch on each arm
    10 Forward Arm Circles
    10 Backward Arm Circles

After Cardio Workouts "Post-Cardio Stretching":
    15sec Quadriceps Stretch on each leg
    15sec Crossed-Leg Touch Toes Stretch on each leg
    15sec One Leg Out, Other Bent Touch Outstretched Leg's Toes Stretch on each leg
    15sec Arm and Shoulder Pulled Across Chest on each arm
    15sec Hand Down Spine Triceps Stretch on each arm
    10 Forward Arm Circles
    10 Backward Arm Circles

Standard Gym Routines:

Mondays & Thursdays "MonThur Lifting":
    Warmup: 5min 75rpm Elliptical Machine
    3x5 Squats 135lbs
    1min rest between sets
    3x5 Deadlifts 135lbs
    1min rest between sets
    3x5 Bench Press 105lbs
    1min rest between sets
    3x10 Standing DB Alternating(5reps each arm) Bicep Curl 25lbs
    30sec rest between sets
    3x10 Rope Tricep Pushdown 30lbs
    30sec rest between sets
    3x10 Standing DB Shoulder Press 20
    30sec rest between sets
    3x10 Bent-Over DB Rows 20
    30sec rest between sets
    3x10 "Shoulder" Inclined Pushups with hands on bench, feet on ground
    5 "Knuckle" Pushups on level ground between sets
    3x17 Declined Sit-Ups (last set until failure - usually around 20)
    30sec rest between sets

Tuesdays & Fridays "TueFri Cardio":
    "Pre-Cardio Stretching"
    1.5mile 1(flat) incline 8.3mph Treadmill Machine
    20min Elliptical Machine
    Starting at 60-65rpm and increasing in 5rpm increments every 5min
    Last 1min sprint at 80+rpm.
    10min 3-6(randomly alternating) incline 4mph Treadmill Machine
    "Post-Cardio Stretching"

Wednesday "Wed Cardio":
    "Pre-Cardio Stretching"
    Warmup: 4min resistance 65-70rpm Elliptical Machine
    2min 1(lowest)resistance
    2min 2resistance
    16min HIIT Elliptical Machine
    1:15min 85-90rpm
    45sec 65-70rpm
    Increase resistance by 1 after every interval (causing last interval to be 10resistance)
    "Post-Cardio Stretching"

There is the general idea. Now it is time for my first journal entry.
    Last edited by mcFreid; 12-05-2008 at 07:32 PM.

mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Friday 12/05/08
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weight: 146.2
    Body Fat: 6.8%

Diet:

Breakfast:
    2 Apples
    3 egg white omelet with stuffed with ham and additional egg beaters
    2 hardboiled eggs without yolk
    Bowl of Oatmeal

Lunch:
    1 Apple
    1 slice oat nut bread with mustard piled high with turkey and ham, lettuce, tomato, and onion.
    1 bowl seafood gumbo
    1/2 bowl of white rice filled to full with steamed vegetables and tofu drizzled with soy sauce
    4 pickle spears
    Salad consisting of lettuce/spring mix, cucumbers, bell peppers, drizzled with low calorie Italian dressing

Dinner:
    Cabbage stuffed with couscous and vegetables
    1 bowl seafood gumbo
    Small slice of meatloaf
    Peas
    Small cup of sliced ham and turkey with lettuce
    Salad of lettuce/spring mix, cucumbers, bell peppers, and olives drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar with around 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 a cup of tunafish on top.
    Small cup of Chinese stir fried chicken with broccoli and tofu drizzled with chili sauce and soy sauce.

That was my diet.

The Day:

I had little motivation to do much today, but regardless I followed my routine out the last ounce of motivation I exhausted to not break my exercise routine and feel guilty. After breakfast, but before lunch, I walked to the Mueller Center Gym leaving my dorm at 10:25. Once I arrived and changed into gym clothes I realized I forgot my Zune, but it was too late to walk back. I went on with it anyway.

I started by stretching. I did a Standing Quadriceps Stretch for 15 seconds on each leg. Then bent over with my legs crossed for 15 seconds and changing the cross for another 15. Afterwards I put one leg up, elevated onto a bench, and touched those toes for 15 seconds on each leg. Moving to my upper body I stretched each arm, shoulder, and back using a Shoulder Strangle Stretch, again 15 seconds each arm. I then finished by a Hand Down Spine Stretch to target my triceps, 15 seconds each arm. To loosen everything up before my run I shook out my legs and did arm circles, 10 forward and 10 reverse. This is now my standard stretching routine before all routine cardio gym workouts. For consistency I'll call it "Pre-Cardio Stretching". I want to add here that every morning I do the same stretches except I do them for 8 seconds instead of 15 and 5 arm circles instead of 10: I'll call it "Morning Stretching".

My cardio routine for Tuesdays and Fridays is in a transition stage right now. It used to be 1 mile run at 8.3mph pace (meaning I finish at around 7:12min), walking at 4mph until 10:00min mark on treadmill. Switch over to elliptical for 20 minutes at resistance level 1 starting at speeds 60-65rpm for first 5 min, 65-70rpm for next 5, 70-75 for next 5, and 75-80 for next 4. I would finish the last minute at 80+rpm. Afterwards I would go back to the treadmill for 10 minutes. I would make it go on random inclines (generally in alternating in 3-6 range) at 4mph. It is changing though slightly as ever since I changed up my diet to include more carbohydrates I was able to run for longer periods of time without my legs feeling like there going to give out (it's always my legs that seem to hinder me, my heart rate and breathing is rarely if ever an issue). I now try to run a mile and a half at 8.3mph (meaning I finish at around 10:45). Everything else stays equal. This newer version of my Tuesday and Friday Cardio Routine I will call "TueFri Cardio".

Like I said the "TueFri Cardio" is new it has its difficulties and today without my music I could not get myself to complete a mile and a half. Instead I did my older routine and just hit a mile at 7:12min, sprinting the last 12 seconds at 9.5mph. I like to keep track of calories burned. The machine said I burned 130.4, which is average for the run. I then, in my older routine style, walked the rest of the 10 minutes at 4mph. Because of my small failure at the running I stayed in the upper ranges of the rpm speeds for the elliptical. For this reason I was able to burn 295 calories in the 20 minutes, my highest ever for that part of my routine. During my workout on the elliptical a lofty mood hit me and all of the sudden I gained some determination. I decided that instead of walking for 10 minutes to complete the gym workout, I would walk the first 5 as I normally would (random incline and all) and then run the last 5 as if I was running the mile. I did this and found that after walking running for 5 minutes did not feel as bad as it normally does. I'll have to take that into consideration. I don't remember what additional calories I burned doing this, but I don't doubt that I probably actually burned more today than I would have on the new "TueFri Cardio", but this does not make up for the fact that I didn't do the 1.5 miles all at once. Next time I will.

I left the gym after stretching one last time. All the stretches are the same as the "Pre-Cardio Stretching" except instead of doing the elevated leg stretches I stick one leg straight out while bending the other and then touching the toes of the leg stuck straight out. I do this on each leg for 15 seconds. I will call this "Post-Cardio Stretching".

Overall I came out of the gym fairly satisfied with my performance. I was actually slightly afraid I would do worse since last night I slightly hurt my right toes and my right leg's shin from kicking in Tae Kwon Do. Once I started running though I stopped noticing it and it became a nonissue. I did find myself breathing slightly harder though on my initial run, but this could have been because I didn't have any music in my ears and therefore noticed it more.

After all the exercising my mood did improve as usually tends to and I spent the rest of the day in classes and walking around at a decent clip between places on campus. My energy level seemed about average if not a little above normal.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #1.
    Last edited by mcFreid; 12-05-2008 at 06:09 PM.

I should also note that I am looking for suggestions in ANY area. I cannot guarantee that I will do as prescribed, but I do plan to start using the weekends (which have been rest days for me) as "trial and error" type days. For example tomorrow, Saturday, I am considering doing some new exercises like dips, chin ups, pull ups, and maybe some new ab exercises that I haven't tried.

I'll post all of this as it happens of course .

Saturday 12/06/08
    Weight: 146.2 - no change
    Body Fat: 6.6% - down 0.2%

Diet:

Breakfast:
    2 Medium Apples
    3 egg white omelet with lots of ham (a little more than usual) and no fat egg beaters (again a little more than usual)
    Bowl of Oatmeal not quite filled to top (a little less than usual)

Lunch:
    2 Small Apples
    1 Slice Canadian Oat bread with a little ham and lots of turkey (a little more than usual)
    5 pickle spears
    3 spicy peppers (the kind you can eat by themselves)
    1 Bowl of Salad with spring mix, cucumber, and garbanzo beans with a light low calorie Italian vinaigrette on top
    1 Bowl of Chicken and Rice Soup with extra chicken and extra rice

Dinner:
    Green Pepper stuffed with rice and beans
    1 Slice Roast Beef (around .5cm thick, 5 by 5 inches)
    Some Butternut Squash Vegetable Medley
    1 Bowl of Spring Salad with cucumbers and cottage cheese and tunafish on top all drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    1 Cup of Chinese Vegetables (not saucy or fried) with chili hot sauce and soy sauce
    1 Cup of Deli Turkey with chopped lettuce
    1 Bowl Thick Tomato Vegetable Soup
    3 pickle spears

That was my diet.

The Day:

I really didn't do much today. I mean I was in a good mood, around normal amount of energy, everything pretty much normal, but I ended up having tons of class work. Specifically I found out that the Computer Science II homework I had was going to take a lot longer than expected. By that I mean it took all day. This affected my exercise.

Normally Saturday and Sunday I take off anyway, but I still try and stay out and about (meaning walking around campus and all that as if I had classes). Today that didn't happen. I spent most of the day sitting in a chair working. I also was planning to actually go against the weekend off standard and hit the gym to try some new exercises. I didn't plan on doing anything intense, but I just wanted to try to do dips, pull-ups, chin-ups, barbell presses, and some ab exercises to see how I could incorporate them into my lifting routines (probably replacing some of the few isolation movements I still have). Though I wanted to do all this, had the motivation to do all this, I did not have the one crucial component that must always accompany it: time.

I am satisfied though with my day. I did get my work done, and now all I have left is two finals until I'm done with the semester. Even better is that I have plenty of time to study since the finals aren't till next Thursday and Friday. This means that tomorrow I should be able to make up for sedentary lifestyle today. It also means that tomorrow I can go to the gym like I planned to today and tryout those new compound movements. Also tomorrow I will be taking my picture, first thing in the morning after I weigh myself and calculate my body fat. Hopefully that will give you guys a better idea of where I stand and where I plan to go. I'm also going to start reading "Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle" again. I read the few 10 pages or so a good amount of months back, but stopped. I want to formally get together my goals, which is something this book should help me to do along with many other elements I'm sure. Once I get a formal goal setting agenda, I'll post it here. I have a good idea of where I want to go already though, so I don't expect any surprises. I already outlined most of my future self image in the above posts. I called it a "fitness monster". I see that image in my mind. I want to be there. I will be there.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #2.
    Last edited by mcFreid; 12-07-2008 at 05:15 AM.

As promised here is my first progress picture. I will be taking one every Sunday morning to track myself. This was taken under fluorescent lighting which may be why it seems I have even less definition than I actually do. Either way, you should get the idea.

After going to the Gym today (something I usually don't do on weekends). I came up with a new workout plan that I think incorporates exercises to further achieve my goals. I'm completely open to suggestions here so fire away all criticisms, comments, critiques, questions, whatever. How I came up with this will be outlined in my journal entry later today, but here is what I got:

"Mon Lifting":
    3x5x135 BB Squat
    1min rest
    3x5x135 BB Deadlift
    1min rest
    3x5x105 BB Bench Press
    1min rest
    3x10x20 DB Shoulder Press
    30sec rest
    3x10x20 DB Bent-Over Rows
    30sec rest
    3x5x?? Assisted Chin-Ups
    1min rest
    3x5x?? Dips (chest version, leaning forward)
    1min rest
    3x30secx(bicycle, captain's chair, exercise ball crunch) Ab Exercises
    30sec rest
    3x10 Knuckle Pushups
    30sec rest

"Thur Lifting":
    3x5x135 BB Squat
    1min rest
    3x5x135 BB Deadlift
    1min rest
    3x5x105 BB Bench Press
    1min rest
    3x5x30 DB Shoulder Press
    1min rest
    3x5x?? Assisted Pull-Ups
    1min rest
    3x5x?? Dips(triceps version, straight)
    1min rest
    3x30secx(bicycle, captain's chair, exercise ball crunch) Ab Exercises
    30sec rest
    3x10 Knuckle Pushups
    30sec rest

"TueFri Cardio":
    During Day:
    "Pre-Cardio Stretching"
    1.5mile 1(flat) incline 8.3mph Treadmill Machine
    20min Elliptical Machine
    Starting at 60-65rpm and increasing in 5rpm increments every 5min
    Last 1min sprint at 80+rpm.
    "Post-Cardio Stretching"
    At Night:
    3x(max-10) Pushups
    1min rest
    3x(max-10) Sit-ups
    1min rest

"Wed Cardio":
    During Day:
    "Pre-Cardio Stretching"
    Warmup: 4min resistance 65-70rpm Elliptical Machine
    2min 1(lowest)resistance
    2min 2resistance
    16min HIIT Elliptical Machine
    1:15min 85-90rpm
    45sec 65-70rpm
    Increase resistance by 1 after every interval (causing last interval to be 10resistance)
    "Post-Cardio Stretching"
    At Night:
    3x(max-10) Pushups
    1min rest
    3x(max-10) Sit-ups
    1min rest

"Sun Test": (this is to test my new max for Pushups and Sit-ups)
    1x1min Pushups
    1x1min Sit-ups

Sunday 12/07/08
    Weight: 146.2 - no change
    Body Fat: 6.8% - up 0.2%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    2 medium to large Apples
    5 Egg White omelet filled with Ham
    2 hardboiled Egg Whites
    1 bowl of Oatmeal (slightly more than normal)
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 slice 12-grain Bread sandwich with a little Ham and piles of Turkey as well as the extras (lettuce, tomato, onions, mustard)
    1 bowl of Tofu with roasted and steamed Vegetables in a Tomato sauce
    1 bowl of various Lettuces, Cucumbers, and Bell Peppers drizzled with Light Low-Calorie Italian Vinaigrette
    1 bowl of Vegetable and Rice soup with extra rice
    Dinner:
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Cottage Cheese, and Tunafish drizzled with Olive Oil and Red Wine Vineger
    1 bowl Chopped Lettuce, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, and Deli Turkey with Mustard
    1 bowl Squash Vegetable Medley with Korean Barbequed Tofu and Brocolli
    1 bowl Chinese Vegetables and a little Stir-Fry Beef and Tofu drizzled with Chili Oil and Soy Sauce
    1 bowl Split-Pea Soup (not filled quite to top of bowl)

That was my diet.

The Day:

I woke up today excited. I took my picture this morning as my first image of progression (not counting those from many months ago). I felt I didn?t look my best, but hell you never look your best all the time anyway. The room was filled with fluorescent lighting as well which washed out some definition, but overall I think the picture captured what needed to be seen.

After breakfast this morning I researched some new exercises and was off to the gym (through a fresh coating of first snow on the ground!) to try them out. First I tried chin-ups. I was able to do three without burning out. That?s going to have to be improved. I will improve it. Next I attempted the infamous pull-up. And failed. Another goal on my list, check! I spent a while (well really only a few minutes ? but it was frustrating) looking for some dip bars. At first I couldn?t find them so I tried it using two benches, but the shoulder position made it feel awkward. Finally, I did find the bars and lifted myself into the ready position. My performance was not as bad as the pull-up fiasco, but I still was only to rip out five before my muscles gave out. These will be added to my routine as well (I definitely felt the burn and loved it). I ended my trial day with some new ab exercises. I couldn?t find, and never did find, an exercise ball at my gym so I ended up without performing the exercise ball crunch. I did though in my search find an assisted dip and chin-up/pull-up machine! This should help me along my way towards excellence. Meanwhile, I situated myself on a padded area and started doing ?bicycle crunches?. The movement was annoying for me because I felt ?all over the place? so to speak and couldn?t get a rhythm going. With that said I did end up feeling the tightness in my abdominals, so I think I?ll keep working at that one. I also tried out the ?Captain?s Chair? where you hold yourself up on your elbows and rise your knees to your stomach. I loved that one! I felt it immediately and will definitely incorporate this in the future. Overall I came out happy with a new plan in my mind (that I detailed in my earlier post today).

I also started coming up with a list of goals. I?ll post them in a short follow-up later today as I?m still working on finalizing what I truly wish to achieve. I am coming across one problem that I can?t figure out. I?m not sure if I should bulk or cut. If anyone has any advice here let me know. I mean I know the outcome; I want to be ripped like I was chiseled out stone. I just don?t know if getting there means I should bulk, cut, neither, bulk than cut, cut than bulk? You get the picture. Like I said; please advise! I?d appreciate any input. Meanwhile I?ll continue to formulate my outcome oriented goals.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #3.

I finished up my goals last night, but forgot to post them here. Here's what I came up with. How I derived them will be talked about in my journal entry later today (oooh the anticipation!).

Annihilate SEVENTY Pushups in ONE Minute!
    Rip THIRTY Sit-ups in ONE Minute!
    Run TWO Miles in FOURTEEN Minutes!
    Sprint ONE Mile in SIX Minutes!
    Destroy ONE Pull-up!
    Pump out TEN Dips!
    Lift my body through TEN Chin-Ups!
    Push FIVE Squats at a HUNDRED-FIFTY Pounds!
    Deadlift FIVE times at a HUNDRED-FIFTY Pounds!
    Bench my own body weight, a HUNDRED-FOURTYFIVE Pounds!
    Move at NINTYFIVE RPM for 1.25 Minutes during Elliptical HIIT!

I am a living Duracel Battery!
    I am PURE Energy!
    I WORKOUT everyday, no excuses, and it Feels Great!
    I am ENERGETIC in whatever I do!
    I have cut out all gum because it is an annoying habit with extra calories that I don't need!
    I only drink coffee in the morning!
    I JUMP at the chance to be Active!
    I am ALWAYS Moving, always on the move, never sitting still!
    I choose to STAND instead of sit because sitting is for the weak, and I LIVE a life for the STRONG!
    I don't beat, I ANNIHILATE my own Records!
    I walk with CONFIDENCE!
    I visualize myself with a RIPPED Body!
    I have a CHISELED, made from stone, SIX PACK!
    I have ZERO "stomach folds" when I bend over, recline, or sit down!
    I am EXPLOSIVE in sports, in life, in EVER MOMENT of my life I am EXPLOSIVE!
    My Look turns girls heads!
    I HAVE a RIPPED Body!
    HOT BLOOD PULSES THROUGH MY VEINS and it FEELS GOOD!
    I LUST for POWER!
    I Am getting more DEFINED by the Second!

I reread my GOALS everyday!

Monday 12/08/08
    Weight: 146.4 - up 0.2lb
    Body Fat: 7.1% - up 0.3%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    2 small-medium Apples
    1 bowl Oatmeal
    3 Egg-White Omelet with Ham and Egg Beaters
    Ketchup (for the Omelet since they were out of Mustard)
    Post Workout:
    1 medium Apple
    some Beef Jerky
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 cup White Rice and Tofu drizzled with Chili Sauce and Soy Sauce
    1 cup Lentils cooked with Vegetables and Tofu
    1 slice Whole-Grain Bread with piled with Ham, Turkey, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Onions
    1 bowl Turkey Vegetable Soup
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad with Cucumbers, Wax Peppers, Carrots, and Garbanzo Beans mixed with Light Italian Vinaigrette
    4 Pickle spears
    Dinner:
    1 bowl Chinese Stir-Fried Chicken and Broccoli with Tofu
    1 small plate Peas, Onions, and Mushrooms with 2 slices of London Broil
    1 bowl Lettuce, Cucumbers, Wax Peppers, and Olives drizzled with Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar with some Cottage Cheese on top
    1 bowl Lettuce, Cucumbers, and Wax Peppers with Deli Turkey and Salsa
    1 bowl Turkey Vegetable Soup

That was my diet.

The Day:

This technically happened last night, but I need to include it somewhere, hence I start: Last night, I tested myself. To improve my pushups my routine calls for doing sets at 75% my max. This also is the case for sit-ups. For this reason I needed to find my max. Trying to keep to the best form and standards it seems the two numbers I got are on opposite sides of the spectrum. The good: I can do 46 pushups in one minute. The bad: I can barely (and I say barely because I?m not even sure what I was doing would count as ?full? sit-ups) do 20 sit-ups in one minute. I?m not at all satisfied with my results, but hey that?s all the better reason to improve them!

Last night, I finished my goals (of which I posted earlier today). They are both real, but at the same time motivational so there are hints of clich? in the writing. Regardless, I believe they accurately portray where I want to go, where I want to be, who I want to be. The one caveat that they do not solve is HOW to get there. I?m still equivocating over bulking, cutting, neither, one then the other, the other then the one. So I plea again, if you have any advise, experience, whatever, in this area please reply!

Now to move on to today: I woke up this morning with some new stats. I gained a little weight and a little body fat. I don?t believe it means much though. The day to day numbers can shift quite dramatically (I?ve seen anything from 5lb weight gains to 2% bf losses). It is the trends that matter, and so far no trend seems to really be emerging (though the numbers have been going up more than down ? I?ll have to keep an eye on that).

I grabbed an apple on the way out of the dining halls for breakfast. After finishing my standard meal (though they had no mustard today!) I changed and walked off in the frigid cold to the gym. I was excited and energetic to follow my new workout routine. So, it is fair to say that my blood was flowing a little faster than normal and with that came extreme motivation and deadly determination for success. After warming up for 5 minutes, it was time for squats, deadlifts, and bench presses (so far no changes in my routine). I found everything except for the deadlifts actually harder than normal. I have no idea why. My form might have slacked a little, but just a little. I did complete all reps and all sets at my normal weight so that was good (no hardship is going to stop me!). Now it was time for a changeup.

Instead of doing bicep curls next (as my old routine would have called for) I immediately moved onto the shoulder press quickly followed by bent over rows (both using 20lb dumbbells for 10 reps, 3 sets). I switched from lift to lift (including the earlier big movements) as fast as possible. This change was from a recommendation I got from another lifter. I found the faster pace (though I still rested the full 1min or the full 30sec in between sets of the same lift) helped me to actually maintain energy, not sap me of it. Next came the real game changers.

I performed the chin-up first. I used an assisted weight to get my 5 reps for 3 sets. I guessed an assistance of 60lb, and guessed perfectly. Each rep was hard and every time, at the 5th pull, I had to really focus and burn through that fatigue. I knew from my trials yesterday that I had a slightly easier time doing dips. For this reason, afterwards, I changed the weight to 40lb of help and performed 5 dips. I found it a little awkward on my shoulders and leaning forward (to stimulate the chest muscles) was difficult because I couldn?t curl my legs up (had to keep my feet on the lever). After the last rep on the last set though I did feel that stimulating throb on my pecs (I love it!). And then I was done; now it was just time for the finishing exercises ? easy right?

Not! I was to do as many ?Captain?s Chairs? as possible in 30 seconds for 3 sets. The first set wasn?t too bad; I pumped out 20 decent forms. But then next 2 sets ? oh my god! I barely, barely, performed 15 and I know my form dramatically fell, tumbled, down the hill after the first 10. I guess it?s a good thing though because if it?s hard it means it it?s something I have to improve upon and therefore will work to develop those abs (hopefully). And finally I ended with the 10 ?Knuckle? Pushups. I want to improve on my knuckle and wrist strength for Tae Kwon Do, which is the reason I do these pushups. I did complete all 10 for every sets, but I think on the last two sets my form, specifically my back, started to sag. I had to really push on the very last set as well. I made it, but it was definitely a mind over matter moment.

I mentioned earlier that apple after breakfast. Par another recommendation; I decided to eat something immediately after working out. Now time was a deterrence, still is, so I needed something quick, fast, and easy. An apple seemed to work. After going back to my dorm to grab my backpack for classes I took the apple and some beef jerky (a handful or so) along with me. I ate them around 20 minutes after working out. I felt better than normal because of this (usually I have to wait till lunch 2-3 hours later!). I do wonder though if I should also be eating after my cardio. I know everyone preaches the post-workout meal for lifting, so I?m happy I made that change; but, what about cardio? I?ll have to ask around about that. If you?re reading this and have an idea for the answer please reply, I?d be interested to know! Also, should I be eating something else after cardio, something different than lifting? Along the same lines, is an apple and beef jerky after lifting the right type of food?

I had a normal amount of energy for most of the day, but after lunch I felt oddly tired. In fact I eventually had to lie down and take a nap, forcing the me to be in a listless, lethargic, mood for the rest of the day. It definitely wasn?t hydration (I always drink TONS of water), so I?m not sure what was up. Hopefully it was just one of those weird moments that happen.

I?ve been talking to many people, acquiring information, and getting advice. I?m still undecided how I should go about becoming ripped. I?m now leaning towards bulking, but I feel like it may be an unnecessary step as my interest is to get defined ? not necessarily to get big and defined (though that may become a new FUTURE interest afterwards). I really don?t know.

And on that note I end, on that inconclusive note as it is exactly how I feel at this moment, at this second of typing. I feel? inconclusive.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #4.

Tuesday 12/09/08
    Weight: 168.8 ? up 2.4lb
    Body Fat: 7.0% - down 0.1%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    2 medium Apples
    1 bowl Oatmeal
    3 Egg-White Omelet with Ham and Egg Beaters (Mustard on side)
    Post Workout:
    1 handful of Beef Jerky
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 bowl White Rice and Tofu drizzled with Chili Sauce and Soy Sauce
    1 slice Whole-Grain Bread with piled with Ham, Turkey, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Onions
    1 bowl Spicy Beef Tomato Soup
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad with Cucumbers, Wax Peppers, Carrots, and Garbanzo Beans mixed with Light Italian Vinaigrette
    4 Pickle spears
    Dinner:
    1 plate with 3 small slices turkey, a little Risotto, a little Chinese Asparagus, piece of Chinese Tofu with Pork
    1 bowl Lettuce, Bell Peppers, Wax Peppers, and Olives drizzled with Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar with some Cottage Cheese and Tunafish on top
    1 bowl Lettuce, Bell Peppers, and Wax Peppers with Deli Turkey (Mustard on side)
    1 bowl Spicy Beef Tomato Soup

That was my diet.

The Day:

I didn?t add this yesterday to my journal, but it did occur yesterday. I was tired! I said that, yes, but not the full story. Earlier that day I had to take a nap, one hour. Later at night I took a 15 minute nap followed 30 minutes later by a 1 hour nap. I have NO idea what is going on! I was never a ?nap? person. I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night always. I simply don?t know what?s wrong. Even more puzzling is I drank more and ate more yesterday than I normally do; so I should have even more energy no? I?m lost, I just hope that it truly was completely temporary. I want my goals; I want PURE energy! But, where is it?

I checked my weight and fat this morning to find my pounds shot up. Not to fear, that kind of change is always a little scary but I know now that it can shoot down just as easily. I am comforted by the fact that the body fat % did not go up with it, meaning it probably is just the odd water weight skewing things.

Today I didn?t have classes (finals week no doubt :/). So, instead of doing my cardio at 10:30, I decided to go a little earlier and make it 9:00. Why not? Everything went well; I ran the full mile and a half in 10:50 exactly. Afterwards I hopped onto the elliptical. But, for some reason, it felt incredibly resistant. After 5 minutes I had enough, something was wrong. Turns out it must have been a faulty machine because I switched onto another of the same model 3 feet to the right of me and immediately felt the difference. The one I was one was at least 5 times harder to push. Besides that one backset (though really it wasn?t much of a backset as I still got the same, if not more, exercise as my routine demands) all went very well. I ended up notifying the gym attendants about the machine: they said they would get someone to look at it.

After the workout I had the rest of my beef jerky from yesterday. I heard carbs offset cardio, so protein is the way to go. And that is the way I went.

After Dinner I was feeling bloated and fat. I had to go to Tae Kwon Do, and afterwards felt much better. It was a good thing because I hate feeling like my stomach is protruding over my entire body. The downside of it all was that I hurt my left food while sparring. Hopefully it doesn?t affect my performance during the HIIT tomorrow.

Later on at night it was time for my pushups and sit-ups. I didn?t have much motivation and was feeling a little lethargic (derived from all the studying I have beyond me ? and in front of me). I brushed my teeth though, an activity that always seems to awaken me, and got all pumped up for them. The first set I tore through 35 pushups, but felt winded afterwards. 30 seconds later I did another 35, barely making it on the last rep. Deciding to take a 1 minute break this time, I waited for my muscles to rest. I attempted the last set, but failed at the 25th rep. My muscles simply gave out. I?m not sure if I should adjust the reps or always push myself to failure. I could also increase the rest time to always be one minute; I think I?ll do that first and record the results. Surprisingly, my sit-ups sets were much easier. I expected the exact opposite: easy pushups, hard sit-ups! Shows how much I know. In fact what wore me down at first during the sit-ups was not my abs, but my tailbone. I think it may be time to invest in an exercise or yoga mat. By the last rep of the sit-ups though I was definitely feeling it still, so it wasn?t like they were too easy. For the sit-ups I did increase the resting time to more like 45 seconds (fearing the same results as my pushups). For the future I should do 30 seconds on the sit-ups, just so I really feel the burn.

One a side note regarding the pushups: I am worried they may lead to an overtraining of my chest. I?m not sure if they are the same muscle fibers used to build size (as it seems more of an endurance exercise to me), but either way my chest will be worked 5-6 days out of the week with my current routine. I?m not sure what kind of results I will see from this, but I have to make sure I am progressing. If not, then I?ll have to relook at the whole 3 nights of pushups on cardio days routine. It may just be too much. In that same note, I guess I should consider abs: but, can abs really be overworked that much? I don?t know. Like I said, I?ll have to just keep track, keep recording, and keep progressing.

Throughout the day I didn?t feel that nagging sleepiness that I had yesterday, which was a good sign. I did feel big though. Maybe it was just the back thought of the weight measured at the beginning of the day, I don?t know. What I do know is it caused doubts in me eating more. It seems that people are recommending me left and right to bulk first and then cut to get the abs. I?m scared of the weight gain though! I admit it! It frightens me! What am I to do? I?m trying to face this fear, but you read my story, you now know what I did to get here. The idea of doing it all over again, gaining the weight only to lose it ? I can?t picture myself going back there! And at the same time all my heart is into getting that washboard rigged stomach! It?s tug-of-war and it?s hurting my head no matter who is winning. They need a word for this feeling! I look in the mirror, and maybe it?s just me, but I swear it seems my stomach is already less defined. Ugh, I found the word. Lost. I?m lost.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #5.

Wednesday 12/10/08
    Weight: 149.4 ? up 0.6lb
    Body Fat: 6.9% - down 0.1%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    2 medium Apples
    1 large Egg Beater Omelet filled with Ham (Mustard on side)
    1 bowl Oatmeal (more than normal)
    Post-Workout:
    1 handful of Beef Jerky
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 bowl Rice and Chicken (Soy Sauce on top)
    1/2 bowl Chinese Stir-Fried Vegetables, Rice, and Tofu
    1 slice Whole Grain Bread Sandwich piled with Ham, Turkey, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Onions (Mustard as spread)
    1 bowl Mulligatawny Soup with Chicken and Rice
    1 bowl Spring Lettuce Salad with Cucumbers and Bell Peppers drizzled with a Low Calorie Light Italian Vinaigrette dressing
    Dinner:
    1 plate 1 lightly breaded Veal Patty with Tomato Sauce, a few tablespoons of Lentils and Grains, and some Zucchini and Squash
    1 cup Chinese Broccoli and Vegetables (Soy Sauce on top)
    1 bowl Split-Pea Soup
    1 cup Turkey and Tunafish with Lettuce and Humus
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Olives, and Cottage Cheese drizzled with Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar

That was my diet.

The Day:

I had a little bit more than normal energy today. It felt good. My weight went up again! But, after reading the forums more, specifically some certain replies to my journal and other threads, my confidence is now with the bulking plan so I should train my mind to see weight gain as a positive. It?s hard, but I?m making progress. It was nice to see the fat percentage go down though, but I doubt it means anything (in fact the sudden gain in weight probably doesn?t mean much either since it happened all over a period of 2 days). In case you missed the other threads. My plan is now to bulk (as implied above). I am going with it, until I hit 10% body fat, and then cutting into what will be in my mind solid rock. The end result? The chiseled abs I?ve been looking for.

The gym workout today was average. I burned, what might be a record breaking, 349 calories doing 20 minutes of my Elliptical HIIT routine. I then finished with a brisk inclined walk on the treadmill, burning another 74.5 calories. I like to see those high numbers, so in that regard the results of today?s workout were above average (but I regress, I can?t take too much credit because it still ?felt? completely normal ? like any other day).

I spent most of the rest of the day studying, so didn?t have a chance to really get out much. It wasn?t until later that the next phase of the day?s workout routine came into play. The cardio nightly pushups and sit-ups: but this time things were different. First of all, I completed all the pushups, all 35, all sets. Yes! But! It wasn?t really a success. I noticed that actually since the beginning was subpar. I was not going down till my elbows were parallel. If I was, I doubt I would have been able to do it. In that way, it was disappointing. I feel like I may be doing too many. I think I?m going to drop two, and try to keep form better. On the flip side, my sit-up performance went down. I had to help myself through a few reps, and used some swinging motion to complete some others. I believe this is due to strictly attempting a 30 sec resting period (unlike the 1 minute used for pushups). Next time, next Friday, I will be switching to a 1 minute resting period for the sit-ups as well. That should solve the issue.

There?s really not much else to say. On a side note I have been trying to eat more, making all my meals slightly larger. We?ll see how the numbers are looking, how the trends are forming, to get an idea for what I need to adjust. Till then I?ll just keep at it.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #6.

Thursday 12/11/08
    Weight: 150.2 – up 0.8lb
    Body Fat: 7.0% - up 0.1%
    Diet:
    Breakfast:
    2 small-medium Apples
    3 Egg White Omelet with Ham (more than usual) and Egg Beaters
    1 bowl Oatmeal
    Post-Workout:
    1 small Apple
    1 slice Whole-Grain Bread Sandwich with Ham, Turkey, Lettuce, Tomato, and Onion (Mustard)
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad with Zucchini and Bell Peppers (Low Calorie Light Italian Vinaigrette)
    Lunch:
    1 bowl Rice, Turkey, and Tofu (Chili Sauce and Soy Sauce)
    1 bowl Beef Minestrone Soup
    1 cup Mixed Vegetables
    Dinner:
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad, Cucumbers, Cottage Cheese (Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar)
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad, Cucumbers (Low Calorie Light Italian Vinaigrette)
    1 bowl Beef Minestrone Soup
    1 cup Chinese Stir-Fried Beef and Asparagus
    1 small plate Green Beans
    1 cup Turkey, Lettuce, Onions

That was my diet.

The Day:

I woke up today feeling pumped. I had my Calculus II test to finish the course later on. I also had my new workout plan. Because of the test my schedule was a little thrown off, so I ended up workout out slightly later today than normal. By that I mean that I left for the gym at 9:15am instead of 8:30am. This actually was beneficial though because it enabled me to use the dining halls to have a real post-workout meal as well as use the dining halls for a lunch. This explains why the lunch meal today is significant smaller than normal, while the post-workout meal is larger by the same degree. But that’s not the full explanation.

I also woke up this morning in confusion; confusion that was to be resolved into soundness and clarity while doing pull-ups. I saw the numbers on the scale. Up in weight, up in body fat. Two ups. I should be happy right? Not quite. At first I convinced myself, that the increases are what I want. That my goal right now is to gain weight. That’s my goal, it is a means to quite a different end, but right now that’s my goal. At least, that’s what I told myself. But, while lifting, I realized that wasn’t true. I have changed my mind, reversed my position. I will NOT be bulking. I don’t want it. Even if it is, as I said, a means to a lean and cut and lower weight end. I do not want to traverse that path. Even if it means I won’t get stronger, won’t get those abs. I know now the truth: I don’t want to see my weight go above 150. Maybe in the future that will change, who can know such things as infinite? But, I do know now, that unequivocally I will not set any goal to be an increase in weight. It is simply not in my interest.

With that said, I am back to my new goal. Staying lean, losing body, recomposing myself (though this may be a slower method), the whole deal. My routine stays the same, my commitment stays the same, my discipline the same. But, my diet changed. I will eat like I used to, conservatively and with regard to proportions. I will not undereat, as I’ve been down that scary path as well. But I will not overeat. I will eat what is right for me, what is right to stay in the 140s. I am satisfied with myself now, and that haziness, that confusion, that “lost”, is gone.

As for my workout: nothing special. The two new exercises were the pull-up and the bicycles for 30 seconds to work the abs. For the pull-up, an offset of 85lb worked perfectly and I really felt it in my upper back. The bicycles also went better than expected once I started to get the rhythm down. My abs were burning by the end and I felt some tension in my obliques as well (an area that doesn’t get hit a lot). Oh, I forgot to mention that I also did the triceps version for dips today as well. I didn’t feel it much in my triceps though. I found out on the last set this was because the dip bars were too wide, it is at this point that I also found out you could adjust them. After adjustment, the exercise went exactly as it should with my upper arms throbbing in the end. And though not a new movement, the last change for today was an increase in weight (from 20lb to 30lb) and a decrease in reps (from 10 to 5) for the dumbbell shoulder presses. I found this a nice variation, and my guess on the 30lb weight was spot on (actually maybe 1-2lb heavier could have worked, but I can’t make adjustments that fine tuned). Overall: a decent lifting day.

I feel light a weight has been taken off of my shoulders. I was so burdened with the thought of gaining weight these last few days. On one side I keep hearing to do it, to bulk, to gain the muscle mass. But, on the other side, my side, that nagging thought of actually going up on the scale did just that. It nagged. And it didn’t go away. Once I saw the numbers starting to actually move it only got worse. I cannot handle that feeling, that looming doubt. I have made my peace now. I will attempt a body recomp by eating at my maintenance calories and still following my weekly routine. If that fails, if I see no results, at least I’ll be happy with my weight and still therefore happy with myself (as I am right now). It feels good to be happy.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #7.
    Last edited by mcFreid; 12-11-2008 at 04:55 PM.

kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kocis06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Excellent log. Extremely detailed and strong goals. I have no doubt if you keep at it you will succeed.

Very cool and best of luck!
    LFC Fan.... RETURN of the KING!

Thanks! It makes me happy to know that others are reading what I put time into to write. To reciprocate the gesture I took a browse through your journal as well kocis and really enjoyed seeing your progress in a road that I almost decided to travel down. Maybe you'll be my inspiration if I ever decide to take that decisive turn again; who knows?

Thanks again,
    Michael

Friday 12/12/08
    Weight: 148.4 ? down 1.8lb
    Body Fat: 7.5% - up 0.5%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    3 small Apples
    Egg Beater Omelet with Ham
    1 bowl Oatmeal (less than usual)
    Post-Workout:
    small handful Beef Jerky
    Lunch:
    1 small Apple
    1 slice Whole-Grain Bread Sandwich with Ham, Turkey, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion (Mustard)
    1 cup White Rice with Tofu (Chili Sauce, Soy Sauce)
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad with Cucumber, Bell Pepper (Low Calorie Light Italian Vinaigrette)
    1 bowl Bean Soup ? light, not creamy
    Dinner:
    1 plate Greek Salad with Lettuce, Cucumber, Onion, Olives, Tomato, Feta Cheese (Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar)
    8oz boiled Red Snapper
    2 Grape Leave Rolls stuffed with Rice
    a little Spinach and Eggplant Greek Mixture

That was my diet.

The Day:

I don?t have much time today so today?s entry will be short and sweet. I am glad I made the change back. Today I scaled in and lost weight. That satisfactory fact was all worth it to conclusively validate my decision. I did go up in body fat, but a 0.5% increase is simply not possible so I?m putting it into the margin of error category. I would never let eating a little less (not too much less!) hinder my exercise routine, and as such I went to the gym this morning.

It was actually quite a story, freezing rain, broken down trees, faulty power, lights flickering, the whole nine yards. But I won?t get into that. I had a good workout. I completed the full mile and a half, making this the first week where I did that on both running days (yes!). I hit 249 calories on the elliptical today, which is pretty damn good considering it wasn?t even HIIT and it was only 20 minutes. My calories for running I believe was 171.4 and my walking after the elliptical was 72.5. Those numbers are from what I remember as I didn?t write them down, but I am fairly confident in their accuracy. Besides being a decent sweat, this also marks the last day at my college?s gym. Yup, I go home today and as such will be going back to my old workout facilities (which also happen to be much better than what my schooling offers). I?m excited for the change.

I ended the day in a hotel room doing pushups and sit-ups. I changed the reps for the pushups to 33 from 35. This seemed to help as I was able to keep my form better. Truth be told I noticed I?m still not really getting down to parallel with my elbows. This makes me doubt my initial ?maximum? I obtained for pushups (maybe it was 45, but under bad form). This Sunday though I will be retesting my maximums which should bring a clearer picture to the situation. Meanwhile using a 1 minute resting period in between sit-ups sets seemed to help a lot. I was able to complete all reps with correct form. I actually felt like the number of reps might have been a little too light as I was feeling the burn, but probably could have gone further. Again: this Sunday the new maximum should shed some better light on that issue as well.

Tomorrow is my first rest day of this log and I plan to take full enjoyment of it with the knowledge that I will be coming back stronger, meaner, faster, leaner, and better, better in every activity. I reread my goals everyday now. They give me strength. I have a future; I can see myself in it. I will become that image.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #8.

Saturday 12/13/08
    Weight: ?? - unmeasured
    Body Fat: ?? - unmeasured

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    a little Whole Grain Toast
    1 bowl Oatmeal
    1 Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Peppers, Onions
    A Little After Breakfast:
    1 large Apple
    Lunch:
    1 large Apple
    2 handfuls Beef Jerky
    A Little Before Dinner:
    1 small Apple
    1 medium Pear
    Dinner:
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad Mix with Feta Cheese (Low Calorie Light Garlic Italian Vinaigrette)
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad Mix with Deli Turkey (Low Calorie Light Garlic Italian Vinaigrette)
    ? bowl 1% Fat Cottage Cheese with 1 handful Almonds (Cinnamon)
    2 slices Weight Watchers Whole Grain Bread with Turkey, Tomato (Mustard)
    3-4 Pickles

That was my diet.

The Day:

Well, the day is here. Resting day! No stretching, no routine. Oh, it is nice to take a break! Time to just sit back and enjoy myself. Normally I would be recording my body weight and fat anyway, but I?m in a hotel right now and don?t have my equipment with me. Oh well, one hole in the graph will not make a huge difference in observing the trend. Tomorrow I will have my stuff and start recording again as usual, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom.

As you can see my diet was fairly hectic. I had limited options for all my meals except dinner because I was traveling on the road from college back to home. Dinner though, like I said, was the exception. I as able to go food shopping today for the first time in months. I bought all the good stuff and each meal should now be quite original. I might consider even learning really how to cook now that I?m no longer as carb restrictive as I used to be (during my weight loss days). Either way, cooking or no cooking, expect a pleasant variety in my seemingly static diet entries for the forthcoming weeks.

That?s all I have to say for today. Oh one thing. I did look in the mirror around 4 hours ago. I saw abs, 4 of them. I don?t think I?ve ever smiled so broad.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #9.

Sunday 12/14/08
    Weight: 143.5 ? down 4.9lb
    Body Fat: 6.3% - down 1.2%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium-large Pear
    1 medium-large Apple
    ? cup Oats
    Egg Beaters with Ham and 1 slice Low Fat Swiss Cheese
    Lunch:
    A little Steak, Pork, Ham, Rice, Chicken, Salad, Mozzarella Cheese, Goat Cheese, Feta Cheese, Cucumber, Asparagus, Carrots, Smoked White Fish, Smoked Salmon, Onion, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Tilapia, and a few other small things
    1 cup Tomato Bisque
    1 glass Virgin Bloody Mary
    Dinner:
    2 4-6oz pieces of Chicken
    1 small plate Cauliflower cooked in Olive Oil
    1 small plate Basmati Rice with Curry (Chicken pieces inside) and Onions cooked in Olive Oil
    5-8 jumbo Shrimp

That was my diet.

The Day:

I woke up excited to cook. I made my own breakfast using the ingredients I bought yesterday. It was quite satisfying. I am a little worried about how much I should be eating, estimating calories and all. Like college I think I am just going to go by the scale. If it starts to go up I eat less, and vice-versa. A few days may be all over the place, but within a week I should have a standard down.

I also woke up excited to see my weight. Down! I?m happy I made up for the splurge of overeating when I made the decision, the attempt really, to bulk. Some of the weight is definitely water weight I?m sure since the change is really too big for even 2 days. Still, it is nice to see the number back to where I want it. My abs felt tight this morning as well, which always brings a smile to my face (I mentioned that wide grin I had yesterday when I saw the 4 pack). I am curious to see what happens tomorrow. Most likely it will rebound slightly, but I can?t say I?m not anxious to see my body fat drop into the 5?s. You never know.

Lunch, as you most likely read above, was crazy. It was a buffet and I didn?t necessarily eat tons, but I did try a varying plethora of almost every dish they offered. It was impossible to estimate though so I just listed off the top of my head everything I remember. It looks like too much food, I hope it isn?t. I don?t want to offset my weight loss that much.

On a side note I realize today was supposed to be my picture day. I completely forgot. It?s too late now since I ate already and that would throw off the look. Instead I will take it first thing tomorrow morning after I weigh myself. The one day difference shouldn?t matter nearly as much as taking it before versus after a meal. I will for now on remember that Sunday is Photo Day. I doubt I?m going to see much difference though, it?s only been a week since I changed up my workout routine and since then my diet (a more influential factor) has been all over the place. I want my abs that I saw this morning to peer through the lens though. Hopefully they will.

Dinner was a little iffy. I may or may not have overeaten, it?s tough to tell when you?re eating all new foods. Again, I?ll just have to monitor my weight and body fat strictly and carefully to see how much ?home food? I need to take in.

After dinner, now nearing 10 O?clock, I decided it was time to test my new maximums. First were the pushups. I completed 66 of them (up from 45). I am really doubting my form though. I am going to stick to doing sets of 33 until I am sure my form is dead on. Two things might be happening that are worrying me. One is that I?m not going down enough (elbows should be parallel to ground at the bottom position and I just don?t think I?m there). Two is that my but is sagging causing my core and lower back to sag. Sometimes I ?feel? this, but can?t see it. I think the only remedy is to do pushups in front of a mirror. Tomorrow, if I can find a good spot, I?m going to do this at the local gym. Next were the sit-ups. It is without a hesitation that I can say my abs are getting stronger. Unlike the pushups, I was not limited by failure, but limited by time. I completed 35 sit-ups in the allotted 1 minute. For the pushups, I failed before the 1 minute mark was even up (actually now that I consider it, this may not be true as I wasn?t checking the time as strictly as I was for sit-ups and did not relook at the watch when I failed the last rep on my pushups). Either way, it doesn?t matter ?cause like I said I?m sticking with 33 until my form is complete. Going back to the sit-ups, the successful 35 means I should be doing reps of 26. I am also going to try and focus on speed as I do the reps since that is what hindered me, not strength. I am satisfied with both results and especially ecstatic about my new performance record on the sit-ups. It is always nice to see yourself become better at being yourself.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #10.

Monday 12/15/08
    Weight: 144 ? up 0.5lb
    Body Fat: 6.8% - up 0.5%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 large Pear
    1 large Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham
    Post-Workout:
    1 medium Apple
    1 Protein Shake (1.5 scoops Whey Protein, 0.5 Banana)
    Lunch:
    1 bowl Lettuce Salad Mix (Low Calorie Light Italian Vinaigrette)
    ? bowl No Fat Greek Yogurt with Wheat Germ
    2 slices Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Bread with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Lettuce Salad (Mustard)
    5-10 Baby Cut Carrots
    2 Pickles
    Afternoon Snack:
    10-15 Baby Cut Carrots
    5 Olives
    1 Weight Watchers Light String Cheese Stick
    Dinner:
    2 4oz Lamb Burgers
    2 tbsp Feta Cheese Spread
    2-3 scoops Saut?ed (in Olive Oil) Onions and Spinach
    8-10 small thin slices Eggplant
    1 slice Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Bread

That was my diet.

The Day:

I had lots of energy today. I think it was the experience of being back home: new places, a new gym, everything new. And yet, old. It was just great. I was excited, truly excited, to workout.

At the gym, which I must say really is a pleasure just to be at, I hopped onto the elliptical for my 5 minute warm-up. I didn?t get the elliptical machine that I wanted so instead had to use one with no arm movements. The one downside to the gym is how busy it is: I?ll have to find a time to go when I can get all the right machines that I want (especially for cardio days). Anyway, without my arms moving I only burned around 50 calories instead of my normal 70 something. That?s not really a big deal though. The rest of the workout went great. I noticed especially during the bench press that I had extra strength. I think the increase in my chest workout (incorporating dips and pushups now) helped. Next week, if Thursday shows the same results, I will be increasing my weight on bench press. I?m pumped for that change. Everything else went fairly smooth except for my chin-ups and dips.

I kept hitting the ground on the chin-up offset machine. I didn?t understand it. For that reason I had to decrease the counter weight from 60 to 50 simply because I wasn?t able to go all the way down. It wasn?t until afterwards, while doing the dips that I realized the problem. The anti gravity machine at my local gym is designed so that you kneel, not stand. After this quick change, I completed the rest of my dips at what I found was doable, a lower 30lb offset! Already an increase in strength! Of course, it?s newb gains since the exercise is new to me and I?m sure my muscles are just adapting more than gaining in size. I can?t help but smile though and say it?s nice to see.

I finished off the day at the gym with some Captain?s Chair ab exercises. They really tear up my stomach. It?s great. I feel like I?m getting better at them too since I didn?t have a problem of failing before the 30 seconds were up (which is what happened last week). On another note, this gym has exercise balls so I may do some crunches using them. We?ll see on Thursday what I?m in the mood for; if I want to do those or the bicycle exercise (also another stomach destroyer). Overall, just a great day at the gym.

After the gym I had a decent post workout meal for the first time. Now that I?m home I could use a blender and actually make a protein shake (normally I can?t do this because I have to rush off to classes as soon as my feet leave the fitness center). I had to experiment a bit to get the water to ice ratio right, but give it a few more tries and I should have it perfect. While eating I was talking to my mom about fitness (she gets into it as well) and we started talking about Yoga. The gym near me apparently offers really good classes. She?s going to sign me up for a few. I?m excited about that as well. It seems that this month away from school is going to be a great 30 days to improve my conditioning. I can?t wait for to see the end result.

My meals it seems weren?t quite big enough as I found myself having to eat more in addition to them. Even after dinner I had to eat a few extra carrots to just attempt that full feeling. Experimentation here is key. Give it a few more days and I?ll fully adapt to the point where it will be subconscious when deciding how much to eat and when to eat it.

I almost forgot to mention, but I took a picture of myself this morning. With different lighting conditions I feel like it is deceptive in that I seem actually slightly less defined. This isn?t the case. I?m not going to boast that I?m somehow magically more defined in a week, but the real accurate statement would be that I look about the same. I will try to be more consistent with where I take the photos, but these next few weeks may not be ideal as I will be moving from place to place as my break progresses. Once I am back in college though, every shot will be in the same place with the same lighting. By that time real differences should be apparent.

That?s all I have to say. I?m going to reread my goals now. Get myself in a rebuild the muscle mindset. And that is, to you, a goodnight from me.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #11.

Tuesday 12/16/08
    Weight: 142.5 - down 1.5lb
    Body Fat: 6.7% - down 0.1%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 large Apple
    1 large Pear
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Green Pepper, Onion
    Lunch:
    1 large Apple
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham, 1 slice Low Calorie Swiss Cheese, Artichoke Garlic Salsa
    2 slices Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Bread with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Spring Mix Lettuce
    10-15 Baby Cut Carrots
    1 Pickle
    1 bowl Spring Lettuce Salad Mix (Low Calorie Light Garlic Italian Vinaigrette)
    Dinner:
    1-2 cups White Rice
    1 plate Saut?ed Chicken and Vegetables
    5 large pieces Tofu in Curry
    1 small bowl Low Fat Cottage Cheese, No Fat Greek Yogurt, Whey Powder, 5 Almonds (Cinnamon)

That was my diet.

The Day:

I wasn?t much into the gym mood today. Of course, I went anyway. It was a near ?fasted? type of workout since I left for the gym at around 11:00am, right before lunch but nearly 4 hours after breakfast. As soon as I got onto the treadmill I knew it was going to be a good workout. My home gym has these running machines that offer fans to blow air in your face as you run in place. It?s great. I completed the mile and a half in 10:59. I ran at my full 8.3mph, it just took 9 seconds longer because the machine took a slightly more amount of time to speed up than the ones back in college. I then hopped onto the elliptical, which I must say is far superior in motion and feel to any other one I?ve tried and I?ve used a variety of elliptical. I burned 252 calories in 20 minutes on that. It was easier I felt than normal, next time I may increase the speed intervals by 5rpms for every range as these machines I definitely felt like I could push myself (even though it is a moderate workout after the run) further. After that I went back onto the fancy fan blowing treadmill and started a random hill routine. Again it seemed too easy. I switched to manual after a minute and forced it to restart the 10 minute workout at a level 6 incline going at 4mph. This was much better and for now I will stick with this level of intensity instead of the randomness I approached earlier. By the end of the workout I was in euphoria. It was such a switch from my pre-workout listlessness that I was truly shocked. Just goes to show you how a nice time at the gym can completely turn around your day.

On the other side of my fitness life, my diet seems to be needing of a checkup. It appears that I am not eating enough. This is joyful news to me as it means, yup, I get to eat more! Who would turn down such an offer? We?ll see how my weight fluctuates within the next few days to see if this increase in calories is going to help me maintain energy and maintenance. I should note that I?ve been eating a few things on the side in between meals. Nothing junky, but just for observation and clarification sake I did munch on some baby cut carrots and a few olives, maybe a couple almonds, in between lunch and dinner. Now you know as I know.

I have one side note before the continuing with the conclusion of today?s workout. As it is break I did not have Tae Kwon Do today, nor will I have it on Thursdays. Tae Kwon Do, in all honesty, is not too much of a workout. But I should note that it will be missing as a form of cardio from my weekly routine until I return to college. I, as well as you, must take this into consideration when speaking of my daily activity levels. In that same regard another small change crops up. I am not nearly walking as much these days due to the lack of a campus, a backpack stuffed with books, and a good deficit of classes. Again, now you know.

And back to working out. I did the pushups and sit-ups this night, just a few minutes ago actually, using my new maximums (to an extent) for a reference guide to number of reps I should do for 3 sets. It was tough. For pushups I still have to work on form as I just don?t think I?m going low enough. And even if I was I barely pushed myself up on the last rep on the 3rd set. I think I am improving though since my form is getting better (though again not yet where it should be). Meanwhile on sit-ups I attempted a new record for doing 26 reps on 3 sets. Notice I said attempted. For the truth is I failed on the last set. I completed a meager 16, than one more by cheating, until muscle failure on the 17th rep. My basis for choosing 26 is I took my new maximum and did 75% reps of it. This method did not seem to work. For this reason I will be decreasing the reps slightly to 23. Tomorrow we will see how this goes. I am going to end on a good note though as the real truth here is that I am improving in both areas. Pushups: my form is getting better. Sit-ups: I am massively increasing my endurance as seen by the switch from 15 to 26 reps. I am improving. And that, that is what matters.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #12.

Wednesday 12/17/08
    Weight: 144.5 ? up 2lb
    Body Fat: 6.2% - down 0.5%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Pear
    1 medium Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Honey Glazed Ham, Green Pepper, Onion
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 small bowl No Fat Greek Yogurt and Wheat Germ
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham Artichoke Garlic Salsa
    2 slices Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Bread with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Spring Mix Lettuce
    5-10 Baby Cut Carrots
    1 bowl Spring Lettuce Salad Mix, Cucumber, Bell Pepper (Low Calorie Light Ginger Soy Dressing)

Dinner:
    1 large bowl Lettuce Spring Salad, Roasted Red Pepper, Onion, Gorgonzola Cheese (Balsamic Vinaigrette)
    1 plate Chicken Marsala and Risotto
    1 small bowl 1% Fat Cottage Cheese and Almonds (Cinnamon)

That was my diet.

The Day:

I didn?t have a bubbling amount of energy this morning, nor this afternoon, and definitely not at night. I think it?s because I?m not eating enough. I really got to try and increase my caloric intake. I have a feeling it is truly effecting me.

I completed my Wednesday Cardio workout regardless of this lethargy. The atmosphere at my home gym helped. I clocked in at 309 calories for the Elliptical HIIT which is way below my normal. I believe this can be due to two different things. One is that the machine is different than the one back in college and may count calories differently. Two is that the resistance settings may be weaker meaning I?m not actually working as hard. Either way though there is the issue by the fact that I back when I used to go to my home gym regularly I would burn 310-320 calories on the exact same elliptical most likely going at even slower RPMs. For this reason I also believe my increase in age and decrease in weight probably is leading to slightly lower calories burned throughout the activity. In the end though it?s such a small difference that it really doesn?t matter. I?m not worried about it. I will work harder anyway as I do feel like I can push myself past the speeds I was obtaining, maybe even past the resistance. Calorie counting or no calorie counting, I will improve myself.

For my diet today I tried to eat more each meal, but I?m still feeling hungry. I may try to switch back to 5 meals a day, but I?m afraid I won?t be able to maintain it and I don?t want to get used to such a dramatic change if I am forced to quickly adapt and switch back to 3. I?m not sure what I can do except simply try and eat more on each meal. I tried snacking a little bit (as mentioned in my recent journal entries), but snacking frightens me on how easy it is to go overboard. It?s only been a few days really since I?ve made the trip home; truthfully, I am still adapting. I?ll get a hang of this, just wait.

Now to the frustrating nightly workout? It is so hard for me to get motivated to complete reps right before I hit the sack. It is especially so when I know that one of those reps may be at failure. I am seriously considering switching my pushups and sit-ups so that they are done at the same time as my cardio. Meaning, they are done at the gym. Maybe this will improve my results? Though, it is not I am not improving. Just a few minutes ago I performed them regardless of my seemingly vacant desire to go through with it. And I improved. I did not get to failure on my pushups, and have in fact gotten further away from that near failure feeling that I used to feel. Furthermore, my form I believe is getting better as I am noticing myself having more strength now to seriously focus on getting those elbows parallel. I also further enhanced my sit-ups. After following the advice from yesterday?s entry I was able to successfully complete the full 3 sets for 23 reps each. It felt good.

And now I?m tired, exhausted, and ready to fall into a nice bed. Goodnight.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #13.

Thursday 12/18/08
    Weight: 144.5 - no change
    Body Fat: 6.5% - up 0.3%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 large Pear
    1 large Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Honey Glazed Ham, Green Pepper, Onion
    Post-Workout:
    1 medium Pear
    1 Protein Shake with 1.25 scoops Whey Protein Isolate, .25 to .5 cups Blueberries
    Lunch:
    2 slices Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Bread with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Onion, Lettuce (Herb Paste)
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham, Sundried Tomato, Artichoke Garlic Salsa
    5-10 Baby Cut Carrots
    3-4 Pickles
    1 bowl Spring Lettuce Salad Mix, Cucumber, Bell Pepper (Low Calorie Light Ginger Soy Dressing)
    Dinner:
    1 plate 4-5 medium Chicken Breast pieces in a Marsala like sauce, 5-10 Asparagus, 4-5 small to medium Roasted Potato pieces, Onion and Mushroom in an Olive Oil and Apple Schnapps sauce
    1 bowl Spring Lettuce Salad Mix, Bell Pepper, Sundried Tomato (Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar)

That was my diet.

The Day:

Unlike the last few days I was excited for the gym this morning. I was energized by the fact that I would be lifting, not exerting the same movement for an innumerable amount of times. Fittingly, I performed well. Not only was my bench press easier (as was the case in my last workout as well), but now my squats and deadlifts seemed slightly on the lesser side of heavy. This was only the beginning! I was soon to find that my new compound movements, the chin-up and pull-up were also in need of some adjustment. Adjustment for the better! I lowered my offsets on my pull-ups to 70 from 80 and my chin-ups to 50 from 60. Even my dips felt slightly easier (but not easy enough to increase the weight). Next week, for all the great improvements above, I will also be adjusting my weights on the squat, deadlift, and bench press. I can?t wait! What a great day at the gym!

To compliment the nice workout, as you can see above, I did eat more today. As I said yesterday, this was a goal of mine as I believe the switch from college life to home life has made me adjust my diet to a lesser quantity of food. Inheritably, I believe it has affected my cardio workouts. Not that the actual workout is harder, but my recovery seems elongated as I started to become more lethargic both before and after the exertion. I hope this fuller feeling will counter act those negative consequences I have already started to feel.

Besides the workout and the diet, not much else happened today. It was a nice relaxing schedule with not much to do. I am really enjoying the nothingness: it?s the perfect vacation from college chaos.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #14.

Friday 12/19/08
    Weight: 144.0 - down 0.5lb
    Body Fat: 7.6% - up 1.1%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 large Pear
    1 medium Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Onion
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 small bowl Cottage Cheese with Honey Wheat Germ
    1 bowl Lettuce Spring Mix, Cucumber (Light Low Calorie Ginger Soy Dressing)
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham, Reduced Fat Feta Cheese, Artichoke Garlic Salsa
    2 slices Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Bread with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, No Fat Low Calorie American Cheese (Mustard)
    10-15 Baby Cut Carrots
    2 Pickles
    Dinner:
    2 plates Roasted Turkey Breast, Rice, Lentils, Asparagus cooked in Olive Oil, very little Potato
    1 Cracker with Pate
    2-4 small pieces Gouda Cheese
    8-12 Almonds

That was my diet.

The Day:

I do have energy this morning, but I?m not excited to workout. Just not in the running mood I guess. No matter, I?ll do it anyway and I?m sure feel better once I am actually in the motion. Meanwhile I checked my weight and body fat this morning as I always do. There must have been some fluke in the body fat test. Maybe it was the fact that I used some hand sanitizer right before gripping the handles of the analyzer? I don?t know. What I do know is there is no way I went from 6.5% to 7.6% within 24 hours. With that in mind, I?m just going to push this figure out of my head.

What a great conclusion to a great week. I ran the 1.5 miles today and for the first time didn?t feel weak while doing it. By the end, I actually had the energy to keep going. I wasn?t even breathing through my mouth yet! It will be interesting if I can obtain the same performance next week as well. Maybe it?s time to increase the difficulty in my cardio as well as my lifting? That would be awesome.

But it didn?t end there. As I mentioned earlier the elliptical here either has less resistance than the ones back in college or I am just getting that much stronger. Either way I increased my workout on the machine today by incrementing my RPMs by 5. Meaning my starting 5 minutes was at 65-70rpm (of which I kept in the upper range) and my ending 5 minutes was at 80-85rpm (also keeping the motion in the upper range). My calories burned this time was 253. I simply don?t understand why I didn?t see a significant increase from last time (252 calories burned). What I do know though is that it was a harder workout and I did it: that?s all that matters.

Later in the day it was about time for me to go to sleep when I remembered I had my pushups and sit-ups to do. I wanted to do them during cardio, but completely forgot. Now, as I?m completely ready to fall asleep, I have to get up and perform myself until exhaustion. This is the exact reason I was supposed to switch this routine so it combines with my gym workout. So much for that! With very little motivation, I complete the pushups. I still feel like my form is lacking. For my next max test this Sunday, don?t be surprised if the number goes down. I want to test my TRUE max with perform execution. This way when I say to people I can do 70 pushups in a minute, it?s real not some half truth. Afterwards I completed the sit-ups having a little more dedication this time as my blood was flowing waking me up from the droopy eyed mood I was ready to fall into. The sit-ups are definitely getting easier and unlike the pushups I have no qualms to say that the number will go up as I test my new maximum.

OK, now it really is time for bed. Goodnight.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #15.

Saturday 12/20/08
    Weight: 143.0 - down 1.0lb
    Body Fat: 7.5% - down 0.1%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Pear
    1 medium Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Onion
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 bowl Lettuce Spring Mix, Cucumber, Bell Pepper (Light Low Calorie Ginger Soy Dressing)
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham, Artichoke Garlic Salsa
    2 slices Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Bread with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, No Fat Low Calorie American Cheese (Mustard)
    10-15 Baby Cut Carrots
    2 Pickles
    Dinner:
    Pickles
    1 small slice White Sandwich Bread with Turkey, Roast Beef (Mustard)
    1 small slice Rye Sandwich Bread with Turkey, Roast Beef (Mustard)
    1.5 small slices Kugel
    1 small Latka [potato pancake]
    1 small spoonful Coleslaw
    2 bowls Lettuce Spring Salad with Walnuts, Cheese (Vinaigrette)

That was my diet.

The Day:

Not much happened today. I was happy to enjoy no gym obligation: I must admit that. I woke up completely relaxed and ready to do nothing. At the same time I realize that without going to the gym for 5 days in a row, that feeling would never exist. That?s the paradox. And that?s what makes it all worth it. Well not all, but it?s definilt a benefit.

The only thing really to report on is that dinner tonight was fairly crazy as it was my familys Chanukah party. Yes, I know Chanukah technically isn?t until a few nights, but this was the day we decided to come together for the social aspect of the holiday season. Anyway, the food was buffet style and I tried my best to estimate a standard meal of mine. Really it came down to just eating until that full feeling hit me. I may have ended up eating too much, I?m not sure as sometimes just the fact of not knowing makes me feel like I overate. In the end though I could use some overeating from the way my weight is going (down!?!?).

On the same topic as my weight, my body fat still suddenly seems to be staying the mid 7?s. I really don?t understand this. Either I?m getting faulty readings two times in a row, or I?ve been getting faulty readings for a while previously because honestly it should not be possible to jump a whole percentage point in one day. Maybe, just maybe, it is because I?ve been crapping in mornings these last two days as well as pissing. Could that throw off the analyzer? I don?t know. I?ll keep reporting on this though: we shall get down to the bottom of this mystery!

Well I?m off to bed. Tomorrow morning, unlike last week, I won?t forget and will be taking my picture. These last few days I have noticed some more definition in my abs, but I don?t have my hopes up that they?ll show up on camera. It could still be too slight of a difference to see through a lens. It would be nice, though, to see some progress from maybe a comparison of the original picture to now. But, I regress, I don?t have my hopes up.

Goodnight, and Goodluck (to my picture taking :P).

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #16.

As promised here is my updated progress picture for this week. And as predicted, no real noticeable change. I am slightly saddened because for the last few days my abs have been showing, but this morning they disappeared. My guess is from the dinner last night bloating me slightly. Either way though, I doubt you would have seen the difference on camera. So, without further ado: myself as taken this morning at approximately 7:00am.

Sunday 12/21/08
    Weight: 146.0 - up 3.0lb
    Body Fat: 7.3% - down 0.2%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Pear
    1 medium Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Turkey
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 bowl Lettuce Spring Mix, Cucumber, Bell Pepper (Light Low Calorie Italian Dressing)
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham, Spicy Hot Salsa
    2 slices Whole Wheat Bread [no HFC] with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, No Fat Low Calorie American Cheese (Mustard)
    10-15 Baby Cut Carrots
    Afternoon Snack:
    10 Baby Cut Carrots
    5-10 Almonds
    Dinner:
    2 bowls Wild Rice Soup
    1 plate Top Round Steak (a good amount), Brussels Sprouts
    2-4 slices Deli Turkey

That was my diet.

The Day:

I was a little scared to check my weight this morning, fearing some dreadful consequence of last night?s too fulfilling dinner. Yup, upwards on the scale. I realized afterwards, after seeing the number 146, that it didn?t bother me that much. I know it isn?t truly a representation of who I am and that I could use a little weight gain anyway (as I talked about yesterday). I promptly took my body fat measurement afterwards and was pleasantly surprised to see the numbers go down. This made up for the gain in body weight since if I?m gaining weight and my body fat is going down then the only possibilities are good ones. Now please, I know that this type of analysis is quite fraud because daily changes, in fact in forms of even giant swings, are a common occurrence. Regardless, it makes me happy to think that they actually matter. It makes me happy to believe that those numbers do mean I just gained 3lbs of muscle. So don?t try to take that away from me: it keeps me motivated.

Later on in the day I went to the gym. Not to workout or anything, but instead to first of all try one pull-up (see if I?ve made any progress) and to go in the sauna and steam room as I?ve never been in one since I was a very little. To start, the pull-up: unsuccessful. I was able to go further up than initially, or so I believe (the difference could have been purely psychological). When I come to think about it I realize that it has only been two weeks and that I have progressed since my offset weights have decreased. Knowing that I know in the future I will be able to pull myself up. After the initial grimace, I left the lifting area with a smile on my face.

Then I put on a towel. First I tried the sauna. Apparently you are supposed to take off your jewelry (something I never realized), because within a matter of minutes I felt a scalding burn upon my neck. Promptly leaving the room I realized what it was and found the wound to be barely red upon my skin so it was nothing. Regardless, I decided to not try the sauna again and went instead into the steam room (after taking off the metal of course). I really enjoyed the steam room. It was relaxing to breathe slowly and calmly letting myself become a moist mop inside those stone walls. I spent again around 10 minutes in there. To dry off I chose to go back into the sauna. This time I stayed much longer (not having to worry about being burnt and all) and by the end of my stay I was completely dry. So, was it all worth it? I?m not sure. I don?t think I?d do it every day and I definitely wouldn?t have time to anyway. But, on the weekends, when I can leisure around, why not go into these two harsh climates and relax?

Right before going to sleep, after brushing my teeth, I tested my new maxes. For pushups, the number went down. I did 54 reps before my muscles failed right around the 1 minute mark (at which point I would have had to stop anyway). As predicted, this is less than last time. BUT! I did these reps with form! Considering that, I am very satisfied, very uplifted actually, by my results. This new number, 54, gives me a calculated routine of 3 sets of 40 so reps. Knowing that I am having difficulty doing the 33 at the moment with perfect form, I will wait on that change. Meanwhile, my sit-ups are staying at a constant 35. I believe the issue to be speed as unlike the pushups I am not fatiguing, but merely running out of time. This next week I will focus on doing my 23 reps as fast as possible. My goal is for this new focus on time to lead to an overall improvement in my numbers next Sunday?s test.

Tomorrow is an exciting lifting day. Most of my lifts have gone up, or going to go up, in weights. I?m pumped and ready for it. Goodnight.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #17.

Monday 12/22/08
    Weight: 145.5 - down 0.5lb
    Body Fat: 7.3% - no change

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Pear
    1 medium Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Pepper, Onion
    Post-Workout:
    1 Protein Shake with 1 scoop Whey Protein Isolate, ? Banana, Frozen Blueberries
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 bowl Lettuce Spring Mix, Cucumber, Bell Pepper (Light Low Ginger Soy Dressing)
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham, Spicy Hot Salsa
    2 slices Whole Wheat Bread [no HFC] with Ham, Turkey, Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, No Fat Low Calorie American Cheese (Mustard)
    2 Pickles
    Dinner:
    1 plate 3 shrimp cakes, roasted potato, sweet potato, carrot, onion, fennel
    2 bowls Baby Spinach and Romaine Lettuce Salad (Casesar Dressing)
    1 small handful Deli Turkey
    1 small bowl 1% Fat Cottage Cheese

That was my diet.

The Day:

As usual for my lifting days, this morning I was excited. Even more so than usual because I was changing the weights, changing them in a good way (that is I was adding to them). The results were very good. I squatted at a new plateau of 145. The squat out of all the changes today was the hardest. But, I made it with a big grin on my face as I pushed through the last grimacing rep. The deadlift afterwards on the other hand was easier than the squat, though still difficult enough for me to get a good pump. I feel strong enough though so I think an extra 10 pounds on the dead may be worth it: I?ll try it out next Thursday. I then went on to the bench press where I was happy to successfully complete 3 sets of 5 reps with 110 pounds above me. I actually think for this lift I can go slightly higher, meaning next week (not this Thursday) I will increase to 115 (at last 35?s on each side!). The rest of the lifts all went well. I chose to do the captain?s chair (aka knee raises) for abs. I really tried focusing on isolating the muscle and it created a great burn. On the last set I was barely able to keep my knees in motion towards my chest. I love the feeling of my muscles shaking in frustration, vibrating in fury.

Later on in the day I suddenly had an onslaught of sleepiness befall me and took a small nap. I felt better afterwards. Normally I?m not the napping type so maybe it was the harder than normal workout today. It could have also been boredom, a feeling that I?m truly grateful now for having after graduating from a semester of college.

One last note about my diet and this is just as much as it is for you as it is for me so that I can keep track of any changes I make. I have been adding some additional dishes to dinner on some nights because I simply don?t feel full enough from whatever my mom or restaurants provide. I am comparing this full feeling to what I would feel like after eating in college. It should be taken to consideration that if any unfavorable changes start to occur that this may be one area to look at and revise as we all know feelings can be quite unreliable.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #18.

Tuesday 12/23/08
    Weight: 145.0 - down 0.5lb
    Body Fat: 6.9% - down 0.4%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Pear
    1 medium-large Apple
    ? cup Oats
    1 large ?pan sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Pepper, Onion
    Lunch:
    1 medium Apple
    1 bowl Lettuce Spring Mix, Cucumber, Bell Pepper (Light Low Ginger Soy Dressing)
    1 Low Calorie Wrap with Ham (less than usual), Cottage Cheese, Baby Spinach, Bell Pepper, Spicy Hot Salsa
    2 slices Whole Wheat Bread [no HFC] with Turkey, Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, No Fat Low Calorie American Cheese (Mustard)
    Dinner:
    1 plate Striped Bass, Roasted Vegetables
    1 small plate Salmon, Potato, Cabbage Mixture
    1 small bowl Cottage Cheese (Cinnamon, Fennel Seed)

That was my diet.

The Day:

There really isn?t much to say today. As usual I wasn?t in the mood for cardio until I actually started running and then became motivated to finish. Again I was able to complete the mile and a half without breathing through my mouth. I?m very satisfied with this accomplishment as it means a progression is soon to be in order. The rest of the workout went well despite a reordering of my activities (had to do treadmill walking before elliptical). I actually ended up burning slightly more calories than normal because I had to spend some extra time walking on the treadmill before one of the elliptical machines opened up. Also on the elliptical I burned 65 calories this time instead of 52 last time. Besides maybe a slightly margin of 1 or 2 RPMs, the two instances should have been identical. I really don?t get this calorie estimations that the machines gives. I just don?t.

Later on I went out to dinner. I tried to eat as much as possible; but still it wasn?t enough. To compensate, around a half an hour prior to bed I decided to eat a small bowl of cottage cheese. Afterwards I brushed my teeth and went to work on those pushups and sit-ups. It was tougher than usual for whatever reason (probably just an off day). Unlike my bedroom, at my dad?s house (where I am now staying) the ground is hardwood not carpet so my tailbone started to hurt again on the sit-ups. This made it increasingly difficult as well. I also tried to push myself further by increasing the speed of my sit-ups with some success (I was only able to make a noticeable difference on the first set which I think caused my other two to weaken in quickness). I ended the nightly routine with a burn in all the right places. For that reason, it was a good day

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #19.

Wednesday 12/24/08
    Weight: 143.5 - down 1.5lb
    Body Fat: 7.3% - up 0.4%

Diet:
    Pre-Breakfast:
    1 small bowl 2% Fat Cottage Cheese and Honey Wheat Germ
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Egg White Omelet with Lox, Onion, Lettuce, Tomato (Ketchup)
    1 bowl Oatmeal
    1 very small bowl 2% Fat Cottage Cheese and Bee Pollen
    2 medium Apples
    Post-Lunch:
    A few spoonfuls 2% Fat Cottage Cheese and Wheat Germ
    1 medium Apple
    Lunch:
    1 small plate Salad with Lettuces, Cabbage, Apple, and Other Vegetables/Fruits (Vinaigrette)
    1 plate Chicken, Vegetables, a little Potato
    Post-Dinner:
    5-10 Baby Cut Carrots
    1 small bowl Oatmeal
    Dinner:
    1 small bowl Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup [light broth]
    1 plate Chinese Bass and Vegetables [light sauce]
    1 cup White Rice
    3 Baby Cut Carrots
    5 Almonds

That was my diet.

The Day:

I weighed myself this morning and the results were not favorable. I lost weight again probably from not eating enough last night. Even worse is my body fat percent went in the opposite direction. I really got to get on top of this eating thing for traveling. I simply am not eating enough when I?m out at restaurants or basically anytime I?m not at a buffet or cooking myself. My resolution is simply to try and make the scale go up now instead of staying in the middle point. By the scale going up I will be able to tell at which point is too much eating and then balance it with what I know now to be too little. Using these two pivot points I think I will become better able to release myself from the constrictions of a non standardized diet plan.

For my workout today I went down to my dad?s gym which is located conveniently inside his apartment building. The gym sucked. There were two different types of ellipticals that I could try for my HIIT. At first I tried the one that looked the most similar to my previous experiences. It was an utter failure. Once the first high intensity interval began I immediately knew that this wasn?t going to work. The machine did not provide enough resistance, but if you tried to increase the magnetism it would become impossibly hard to move. There was no good linear progression for each resistance level. Basically it was terrible for HIIT.

I moved onto the next machine, restarting the HIIT activity. It too had issues. The design was very uncomfortable as it inclined my feet way too much causing pressure on the balm of my foot; also causing my foot to slide forward on every step. It also had linear progression issues as for whatever reason it was too easy for almost every level except the last two which became almost impossibly hard (I nearly collapsed on the last interval because of this). To top it off, even with all the exertion I gave, I still only burned 287 for 20 minutes of HIIT. That?s way way below my normal. Just for the records incase I?m ever needing to be on the same machine again (hopefully never) my rest intervals were at approximately 140-145rpm while my intensity intervals were at 180rpm. The only good thing about today was that all the calories added up because of trying out the different machines means I still burnt my normal amount if not more than it. Also, there?s the fact that I completed the movements. That?s always good.

At night it was pushup time and I really did ****ty. My form was bad and my pace was terrible. I almost didn?t complete the reps or the sets. I feel like this lack of energy is most likely due to my diet. But, my sit-ups at least were all right, the normal. Hopefully the changes I made will carry and tomorrow I will awake with a much needed boost in performance.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #20.

Thursday 12/25/08
    Weight: 145.0 - up 1.5lb
    Body Fat: 6.9% - down 0.4%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Pear
    1 small-medium Apple
    1 large ?pan-sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Pepper (Mustard)
    1 small bowl Oatmeal
    Pre-Workout:
    1 medium Apple
    Lunch:
    1 medium Pear
    2 slices Whole Wheat Spelt Bread with Turkey, a little Roast Beef (Mustard)
    1 small slice Whole Wheat Spelt Bread with a little Roast Beef (Mustard)
    2 GG Scandinavian Crackers [very low calorie] with a little Turkey (Mustard)
    10-15 Baby Cut Carrots
    Pre-Dinner:
    1 small glass Tomato Vegetable Juice (Tabasco sauce)
    1 GG Scandinavian Cracker [very low calorie] with a little Ham (Mustard)
    5-10 small Almonds
    Dinner:
    1 plate Lettuce Salad, Tomato (Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar)
    1 slice Tomato with Buffalo Mozzarella
    1 plate Tuna Steak with German Potatoes

That was my diet.

The Day:

Today was a little crazy. I had a good amount of energy to work out, at least at first. But then, it being Christmas and me not caring because I?m Jewish, I realized the gym problem. The downstairs gym in the complex is closed, nor does it have any barbells in the first place. Figuring the best case would be the JCC I decided to walk the city blocks. Upon arrival (and I should add I did try to call them, but they didn?t answer) I found out that the membership office is closed (but the gym facilities are open). What does this mean for me? It means ****! I couldn?t get a guest pass even though they do offer them because the office that hands them out was closed. It was ridiculous really. Either way, I wasted a half an hour walking back and forth. Now my motivation was plummeting, but I kept with my search. After various phone calls, and a small argument with my father, I found the solution.

I had to pay a 15 dollar fee, but that was hardly an obstacle. And so I began my workout. I still had little motivation, and this time unlike usual that did not change. I burned a little over 60 calories on the elliptical, below normal most likely because of the machine. I then stepped up the flights of stairs to the fourth level where the free weights room was located. It was barely a room. So small, it was me and 5 to 10 other people squished into this tiny sweat aroma filled area. I had to wait numerous times for all the lifts I needed to complete. With that said, even though my mind wasn?t where it should have been, I did complete all the lifts. The best thing I take away is the burn I felt from the squats today and the increase in weights with the deadlift. I still don?t feel great about the day though. I know tomorrow that feeling will pass. Tomorrow I will wake up with the energy I so long for. But for now, I am depressingly uncomfortable.

At least I can say with a little more confidence that my diet is getting in check again. I still, naturally from my overweight days, worry that I am eating too much when it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to estimate (even more so than before because of all the eating out and inconsistent meals). But: that is getting better. I guess as a counter to my melancholy attitude to lifting today I can say that my diet improved. Meh, but I still can?t deny that nagging sensation that I?m not eating right. OK, in all honesty, neither of my attitudes today are that great. It?s simply not a good day. Tomorrow will be better: I can feel it.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #21.

Friday 12/26/08
    Weight: 143.0 - down 2.0lb
    Body Fat: 6.3% - down 0.6%

Diet:
    Breakfast:
    1 medium Pear
    1 small-medium Apple
    1 large ?pan-sized? Egg Beater Omelet with Ham, Pepper (Mustard)
    1 bowl Oatmeal
    Post-Workout:
    2 GG Scandinavian Crackers with Turkey (Mustard)
    5-8 Baby Cut Carrots
    Lunch:
    1 small-medium Apple
    2 slices Sprouted Wheat Bread with Turkey (Mustard)
    1 small slice Sprouted Wheat Bread with a little Ham (Mustard)
    1 GG Scandinavian Crackers [very low calorie] with a little Ham (Mustard)
    1 bowl No Fat Greek Yogurt with Honey Wheat Germ
    10-15 Baby Cut Carrots
    Pre-Dinner:
    2 Vitamin C Pills [10 calories]
    3 Baby Cut Carrots
    Dinner:
    1 small plate Lettuce Salad (Vinaigrette)
    1 plate Cod, Ratatouille, French Beans, a little Trout
    Post-Dinner:
    1 bowl No Fat Greek Yogurt with 10-15 Almonds (Cinnamon)
    1 small plate Roast Beef (Mustard)
    3-5 Baby Cut Carrots

That was my diet.

The Day:

I wasn?t in a particularly motivated mood for running today. I usually never am in the mornings it seems. I feel like that will never go away. Regardless, I felt a certain necessary uplifting from yesterday and that helped. At around 10:00am I changed for the gym.

As only a treadmill and an elliptical were necessary today, I conveniently was able to simply go down 8 levels on the elevator and arrive at the gym. The small room was packed with an abnormal amount of people, but luckily one of the treadmills was open. The run itself was fairly good. I was able, as is now the standard, to run the 1.5 miles without breathing through my mouth (though it was still a good workout and I was sweating by the end). The only snag I ran into was my Zune kept shutting off randomly. It did this once, a long time ago, but I haven?t seen that behavior since. I had to keep restarting it to keep the music pumping in my ears. If anything this exerted a little extra energy which means more calories (yay!). After that I started on the elliptical.

Meh, like yesterday, it sucked. All I can say is meh. Since the machine measures in strides per minute instead of rpm I will use those figures to give you, fellow reader, an idea of what I did. I started at 135-140 strides/min and increased every 5 minutes by 5 strides/min (the same way method used for rpms). The entire movement, all 20 minutes of it, felt more difficult than usual. The worst part is that it wasn?t more difficult in a physical exertion sense, but more just uncomfortable because I didn?t like the elliptical?s particular way of moving my feet and legs back and forth, up and down. From those 20 minutes I burned near 237 calories, if my memory serves me correctly. I?m not even going to bother complaining about the low number: I now realize without being consistent with one machine?s method of counting the idea of keeping track of calories burned per exercise is useless. Either way, there?s the number for the hell of it. On another similar discrepancy of calorie counting, the treadmill workout (4mph at 6% incline) to top off the routine clocked me in at 108 calories burned. Obviously a treadmill should have no inconsistencies between another treadmill; so, how there is a change there I have no idea, no explanation. I am happy to say that this will be the last day, at least for a long time, I have to use these ****ty gyms of late. Tomorrow I will be off to my aunt?s house where from experience I know exists two fairly well equipped gyms. I?m excited.

After the workout I decided to eat a post-workout meal. This is different than normal because usually I end my cardio routine right around lunch time. Today it was not so. I ate a fairly low carb, high fiber, snack with an emphasis on protein. From what I researched this is the best diet plan for post cardio. Speaking of eating, my body fat and weight took quite a plunge today. I?m not sure what caused it as I felt like I ate a decent amount yesterday. In all honesty, I am happy to see the numbers go down simply because this time body fat went down as well. I do think I should eat more though as I have to be careful to stay at maintenance or slightly above if I went to gain strength while losing body fat.

A little later on in the day, following a nice lunch, I went for a walk. It turned out to be quite a walk. It was fairly leisurely, but I was moving for at least 2 hours straight. I?ve found this kind of exercise to be the best fat burner so I?m happy to have done it. It was a nice time to relax as well. After the walk it wasn?t quite dinner time yet so I decided to get something in me. I ate a few carrots figuring they would hold me over till the restaurant reservations. I also felt the stirring malaise of a cold while on my walk so I decided to take a few vitamin c pills as well. I only had the chewable kind, for that reason I counted the calories (though I admit it barely matters, but hey why not include them?). It was a nice afternoon.

Following the afternoon came noon and with it dinner. Dinner was small. The food was decent, but the portions tiny. I was still hungry as I left the building and I knew I would have to eat more if I was to stay at maintenance. A little later, back in the apartment, I decided to eat my post dinner meal. It wasn?t a lot, but I hope it did the job.

And I ended the night with my routine pushups and sit-ups. It was interesting this time. For the pushups I again changed up my form after noticing that I really wasn?t leaning over my chest enough. This change pushed me to the brink. I completed the first set of 33, but failed at 29 on the 2nd set and at a lowly 15 on the last set. I am proud, nevertheless, of this performance. Why? Well for one because of the awesome pump this gave my chest. But also, because I finally realized why I have been lacking motivation for this nightly exercise. It was because I knew I was cheating myself on the number of reps I could do and that I would have to continue to cheat myself every night. Now I know I don?t have to anymore. Next Sunday I will make sure that my form is impeccable in every way I know. I need a real assessment not this masquerade of a performance I have been putting on recently. As for the sit-ups, there is nothing wrong there. I am improving nicely as I should be for the near failure I push myself to. I am excited as well for Sunday in this regard as I expect a new maximum for my sit-ups. Overall it was a nice way to end the night, a nice conclusion to a fulfilling Friday.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #22.