Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Shoulder Surgery for injured Biceps Tendon .. Anyone with experience?

Hello everyone,

I am most likely going to be going in for surgery next week for the above mentioned injury. I over-stressed my right shoulder's biceps tendon at the shoulder joint and it came loose and is not staying in place when I rotate my shoulder so exercise is very uncomfortable now. I can't even run without my shoulder getting sore.

So basically the surgery involves the surgeon cutting off the top portion of the biceps tendon that wraps around the shoulder joint that is injured and re-attaching the rest to the humerus so that it stays.

Do you think this is a good surgery? Does anyone know anything about it? Recovery time? Should I be able to lift at 95% strength given a few months of rest and healing? I had open-surgery for instability and dislocation 6 years ago and was able to lift at 98% strength after a year and this seems to be a smaller procedure.

ANY comments would be appreciated!

THANKS!
    I've still got a lot to learn.

The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Colonel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this was part of a larger surgery i had where i also had a labral tear to go with it.
    I healed up fine and am almost 100% in strength. range of motion has decreased though, so i throw like a girl now.

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well this is my right shoulder and I am a lefty so as far as throwing I'm fine, lol.

But lifting-wise .. doing all the basic core compound movements you're 100% fine? How was recovery?

King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So it sound like its a partial rupture of the bicep tendon or is it a dislocated bicep tendon?

If its a partial rupture, ive heard mixed opinions on getting surgery for that and usually surgeons would rather work on a complete rupture than a partial.
    ***MISC Orthopedic Injury/ Recovery Advisor***
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106431901

Not 100% sure but it definitely "pops out of place" when I rotate my arm backwards, lift overhead, etc. I feel it snapping and getting caught on probably my shoulder bones. Took an MRI and that's what the doctor's claimed that was wrong with me .. that the tendon comes loose and doesn't stay in place.

Going in tomorrow afternoon for surgery. Needless to say I am pretty pissed I was bumped from 10:30 to 12 and now to 2 PM. What's even more funny is that if I was at 10:30 I was told not to eat after 12 midnight, and now at 2 PM it's the same thing.

Why can't they just tell you not to eat "X" number of hours before surgery? I would easily wake up in the middle of the night and eat a meal but now I won't be eating for almost 18 hours I am going to die. Lol.

I eat every 2 hours now. I wonder what kind of mood I'll be when I wake up post-anesthesia.

RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Khryz View Post
    Going in tomorrow afternoon for surgery. Needless to say I am pretty pissed I was bumped from 10:30 to 12 and now to 2 PM. What's even more funny is that if I was at 10:30 I was told not to eat after 12 midnight, and now at 2 PM it's the same thing.

Why can't they just tell you not to eat "X" number of hours before surgery? I would easily wake up in the middle of the night and eat a meal but now I won't be eating for almost 18 hours I am going to die. Lol.

I eat every 2 hours now. I wonder what kind of mood I'll be when I wake up post-anesthesia.
    I had a slap IV tear in my shoulder, which means the labral tear continue into my bicep tendon. Depending on how severe it's torn and your age typically is the deciding factor on whether or not a doctor will perform a tenodesis (cut and re-attach) or if they will simply suture it up.

As far as the surgery goes, you will be fine as long as you follow your doctor's instructions for the first couple weeks, and get setup with a GOOD rehab specialiast. Make sure you don't cut corners on rehab, and you should have no problems getting all of your ROM back, and your strength will be back in 6-9 months.

Good luck man.

Well had the surgery last Wednesday 12/10 and today still hurts when I move it. Feel a lot of dull pains and some popping in the back of my shoulder.

The biceps tenodesis hurts I feel the tightness of that tendon now.

I am in no rush to get back to lifting I have no problem waiting a year or more I just want to lift at 95% strength again eventually.

Had surgery before on same shoulder and I didnt lift for 2 years later with no problems at all and no loss of strength.

I'm just nervous that my doctor did a bad job and its not healing correctly.

ntguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

biceps tenodesis and bodybuilding

I noticed you had the surgery 12/10, how are you doing now? i just had this surgery 2 months ago, and i'm wondering if i can get some information from you on body building etc.. etc.. been two months for me and i still dont have my range of motion back, although its getting better slowly.

Originally Posted by Khryz View Post
    Well had the surgery last Wednesday 12/10 and today still hurts when I move it. Feel a lot of dull pains and some popping in the back of my shoulder.

The biceps tenodesis hurts I feel the tightness of that tendon now.

I am in no rush to get back to lifting I have no problem waiting a year or more I just want to lift at 95% strength again eventually.

Had surgery before on same shoulder and I didnt lift for 2 years later with no problems at all and no loss of strength.

I'm just nervous that my doctor did a bad job and its not healing correctly.

AustinBigWig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ntguy View Post
    I noticed you had the surgery 12/10, how are you doing now? i just had this surgery 2 months ago, and i'm wondering if i can get some information from you on body building etc.. etc.. been two months for me and i still dont have my range of motion back, although its getting better slowly.
    Ntguy, what did you have the tenodesis for? Was it a ruptured tendon, part of a SLAP repair, etc...

ntguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AustinBigWig View Post
    Ntguy, what did you have the tenodesis for? Was it a ruptured tendon, part of a SLAP repair, etc...
    Sorry for the late response, I didnt get a notice from the site. I'm still researching body building and the biceps tenodesis. My doctor and my Second opinion doctor arent being much help.

I had a slap repair. basically i had the interference screw put in to hold the tendon in place at the top of my shoulder or above the bicep muscle. My doc says it shouldnt break.. that the tendon itself would break before the screw would come out. thats great and all to know that i can body build again. i'm more concerened with disfiguration of my bicep, it seems my bicep is sitting a little low and doesnt look anything like my left arm. this is causing me great distress and depression.

My doc said there should be very little disfiguration that i'm still suffering atrofee. but I feel like i'm getting blown off by the doc. Not sure, I certainly hope that i can body build and get my bicep looking normal again. or whats the use of body building if it's not going to look normal. these are some of the mental issues i'm suffering from the surgical procedure. I would almost rather deal with the pain than to have my bicep disfigured.

if you want to contact me or anyone else for that matter here is my email address

korn_elious @ yahoo . com

i spread the address out so it wouldnt get filtered or miss any characters..

Thanks guys,

Rob

HaraldStephens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had injured my shoulder at work last Wednesday. I went for an MRI and the doctor told me that my bicep is retracted over 15cm. I completely severed the tendon from my shoulder and my bicep is now setting at my elbow. The doctor also seen damage to my rotator cuff as well. I go in for surgery on Monday and he told me that it is going to be extensive. He also assured me that I would be in a sling for a minimum of 6 weeks and then rehabilitation for anywhere from 4 to 6 months.