Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Suggestions on my beginner home weight program

I will soon have this equipment available: Ironmaster DBs, Superbench w/ Crunch+dip attachment, and 300lbs olympic weights w/ bar and curl bar. I would of liked to follow the Rippetoe program, but since I do not yet have a power rack I can't do squats with the barbell. So what do you think about this program? Should I substitute for different excercises given my equipment?

I am looking to add muscle all around while maintaining or slightly gaining weight. I am 165lbs soccer player build, still reasonably lean but no where near the fitness level I was 6 years ago in highschool. I've lifted in the past but not very seriously (didn't keep a routine just went/did what I could). I also did squats only on occasion and never did deadlifts. I admit my previous lifting work outs were not the best rounded so I would like to change my ways.

Workout A (setsxreps)
    DB Squat 3x12?
    DB Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Incline Situps 3x15

Workout B (setsxreps)
    DB Squat 3x12?
    DB Military Sitting Press 3x5
    Pendlay Rows 3x5
    NS Situps 3x10

Workout A/B alternate MWF
    Sat(optional, should I even bother with a 4th day?)
    Dips 3x10
    DB Curls 3x10
    Tricep ext 3x10
    Leg raises 2x15
    Incline Situps 2x15

All reps at equal weight
    Target weight increases each workout:
    Deadlift 15-20 lbs
    Squats 10-15lbs
    Presses/Rows 5-10lbs

My biggest concern is I can't do barbell squats w/out a power rack and that db squats are worthless. I hope to get a rack eventually, but until then any alternative suggestions? And is a 4 day routine going to be helpful or should I just completely axe Sat?

edit: Heavily edited to include some suggestions and add barbell to equipment.
    Last edited by Domer08; 12-05-2008 at 06:52 PM.

rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, it's a start. You're making do with what you have. More power to you.

On your tri lifts - nix the kickbacks, they're basically useless. Do dips first, it's the hardest lift there. Then finish with close grip bench press or skull crushers.
    Squat 'til you puke.

47 years old
    325# bench
    665# squat
    700# deadlift

Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the fail is strong in this one
    My own videos should go here.

TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not buy a barbell? If you get a half assed one, they're probably pretty cheap. You wouldn't need a power rack to start, or really at all. Unless you really, really need to impress yourself with your own lifts, then fail miserably at them.

I think DB squats the weight should be at your shoulders.

You could consider looking into another program too. If you just have dumbbells RossTraining.com has a lot of good stuff.

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    where are you getting this equipment from? With most 300lb weight sets a standard barbell is part of that 300lb total (2x45lb, 2x35, 2x25, 2x10, 4x5, 2x2.5, 1x45lb barbell)
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Domer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a barbell at my parents house that came with the set. I was not planning on bringing it to my apartment due to space constraints, and I assumed it was not safe to do barbell squats without a rack anyways.

I'll look into Rosstraining.com, but could you explain why this program is not a good idea? I'm not doubting I would just like to know.

Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You don't have to do rippetoe anyhow. Just saying.

Nothing wrong with an all db workout if that's all you have to work with. I personally though would just work in the 8-10 rep range though.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you have no other option than to use dumbbells, iow there is no way that you can do the program with an Oly barbell at home/gym/parents house, then just use the dumbbells for everything. I see no reason to use a curl bar for deadlifts or rows, that would be awkward and prolly would reduce the range of motion. You would probably be best off doing hack squats with dumbbells instead of holding them to your shoulders... which would also get very awkward and would probably screw with your balance.

I don't really recommend any of this though. I recommend you get creative and figure out a way to use an Oly bar.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    If you have no other option than to use dumbbells, iow there is no way that you can do the program with an Oly barbell at home/gym/parents house, then just use the dumbbells for everything. I see no reason to use a curl bar for deadlifts or rows, that would be awkward and prolly would reduce the range of motion. You would probably be best off doing hack squats with dumbbells instead of holding them to your shoulders... which would also get very awkward and would probably screw with your balance.

I don't really recommend any of this though. I recommend you get creative and figure out a way to use an Oly bar.
    Curl bar could be used for lying triceps extensions and close grip bench.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Los_Diablo View Post
    Curl bar could be used for lying triceps extensions and close grip bench.
    or... curls?
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've seen some pretty small dorm rooms - but an average apartment can usually have enough room with modest effort. I was able to use a standard barbell and weight set it my bedroom, by clearing half of it for the weight bench, bar and everything else in one corner. Surely something can be done in this case.
    --- Nick ---

I didn't know it was so much of a difference to substitute in the curl bar instead of the real bar. I guess I will just make room for the bar (or get a 6' to help on space).

That would still leave me without being able to do barbell squats since I have nothing to spot me. Would db squats be the best substitute or should I replace squats with what exercise(s)?

I'm also not set on a "rippetoe" based program, I just read about it here and it seemed like a very simple effective workout. I am open to completely different routines, but from doing some research this seemed to be a good route.
    Last edited by Domer08; 12-05-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    or... curls?
    Didn't feel the need to say the obvious

superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Domer08 View Post
    That would still leave me without being able to do barbell squats since I have nothing to spot me. Would db squats be the best substitute or should I replace squats with what exercise(s)?
    Just do dumbbell squats. You won't do 3X5 though, you'll do a LOT more reps.

Dumbbell presses are even better than flat barbell bench so that's fine (even Rippetoes admits that dumbbells are better in general but says barbell is better for noobs).

If you load up the curl bar with weight you can do Romanian Deadlifts (deadlift without touching the bar to the ground).

And you can do rows with the bar, shoulder DB presses, accessory arm work with the dumbbells...so you're set for now.

Thanks for the helpful input superman, I've edited the initial post to include some of the suggestions that have been made.

Would 12reps be good for the db squats, or should I shoot more towards 20?