The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Unhappy Back isnt getting bigger or wider! Help!

So ive been training for a little over a year. On my back days, i go all out because im trying to get a bigger and wider back but im seeing little results, maybe genetics?

Heres my back routine:

Pull-ups(wide grip) 4 sets 10 reps( usually back warm up excersise)
    Lat pull downs 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Bent over rows 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Deadlift(for lower back) 4 sets 8-10 reps
    sit down rows 4 sets 8-10 reps

Anything im doing wrong? This is keeping me from getting bigger and wider.Those of you that have big wide backs please help!

severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) severence has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    please stop exercising. you weren't meant for this.

Yellowcreampiemaxxer Hartley110's Avatar
    Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How often are you able to add weight? And to how many of the lifts? And for how many sets?
    These questions will probably reveal that your pump routine isn't working for you.

Refocus your training to pure strength. Get your new BP Max 315, deadlift 405, squat 405.

enYgma702 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by The_Animal_79 View Post
    So ive been training for a little over a year. On my back days, i go all out because im trying to get a bigger and wider back but im seeing little results, maybe genetics?

Heres my back routine:

Anything im doing wrong? This is keeping me from getting bigger and wider.Those of you that have big wide backs please help!
    I had the same issue when I first started training. Make sure you're going slow and thinking about your rep when you perform it. Squeeze your lats and back muscles as you work out. For example, when doing sit down rows, don't just pull the weights using your legs, arms, and waist. Pinch your shoulder blades together and use your back.

Also, try using heavier weights. I try and keep my back days in the 4-6 rep range. And try new workouts once in a while. Pullovers, t-bar rows, single-arm rows... they're all very effective.
    so who IS JSR?

whoisjsr.com

The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by severence View Post
    please stop exercising. you weren't meant for this.
    thats why youre in the red troll

Originally Posted by Hartley110 View Post
    How often are you able to add weight? And to how many of the lifts? And for how many sets?
    These questions will probably reveal that your pump routine isn't working for you.

Refocus your training to pure strength. Get your new BP Max 315, deadlift 405, squat 405.
    Well i usually add more weight on my last set of each excersie. For example if im doing rows with 200pnds on my last set ill jump to 220 etc..Do you think i should concentrate on less reps and more weight? thanks reped!

Originally Posted by enYgma702 View Post
    I had the same issue when I first started training. Make sure you're going slow and thinking about your rep when you perform it. Squeeze your lats and back muscles as you work out. For example, when doing sit down rows, don't just pull the weights using your legs, arms, and waist. Pinch your shoulder blades together and use your back.

Also, try using heavier weights. I try and keep my back days in the 4-6 rep range. And try new workouts once in a while. Pullovers, t-bar rows, single-arm rows... they're all very effective.
    Thanks man, reped!

Yellowcreampiemaxxer Hartley110's Avatar
    Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartley110 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you think i should concentrate on less reps and more weight?
    Yes definitely. By the time you got to those #s from where your at you'd gain 10lbs and then could make a bit more gains when you go back to repping weights slowly, as the weight will be heavier. But you would need to rethink your entire program here and get back the basics. And I'm talking about stripping the volume down.

Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500)
    go for 5x5 and get stronger, when you deload and rep the weights your back will get bigger. someone who can do a 370lb row for 10 is going to have a big back

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Heres my back routine:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few suggestions:

1. Eat more. Iron Addict has said it many times, but it bears repeating--EAT! At 150 pounds or so, you need to feed. (Sounds like a line from "Top Gun"..."I have a need for feed!").

2. Change your workout. If you're stalling out, deload for a week, then try changing up your workout. Ex: Deads for 4x5, chins 3x whatever you can do, bent rows for 3x6-8 and cables for 2 or 3 sets x 6-8. Remember, it just isn't the volume, it's how much you pout into it. Sometimes, less is better. For a guy with your experience and bodyweight, doing 20 sets is too much, and the reps in the dead are too high for you to go heavy. If you're truly working out hard, 10-12 hard sets for back will be enough. Use less to progress.

3. Analyze. Don't overdo it, but after a month or so, if you don't progress in weight and/or reps, change it!

4. Last, but not least, feel the weight. (Yeah, Zen-like and all that). That means, as someone suggested earlier, squeeze the back muscles while you're working them. Maybe you'll have to lighten up a bit at first, but it'll be worth it. Try doing your sets and squeezing the muscles for two or three seconds, then slowly lowering the bar/cable. (Do this on all exercises except for deadlifts).
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Heres my back routine:

the first thing you have to ask yourself is "am I overloading the muscle?", chances are if you are able to do as many sets as you are that you are not. I dont' have a problem with the pullups as a warm up but after that I'd pile the weight on for my pulldowns, if you can get more than 8 reps it's to lite. after that stretch for at least a minute a side, then move on to the tickness movements but again drop the number of sets, up the weight, when your done stretch again.

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few suggestions:

1. Eat more. Iron Addict has said it many times, but it bears repeating--EAT! At 150 pounds or so, you need to feed. (Sounds like a line from "Top Gun"..."I have a need for feed!").

2. Change your workout. If you're stalling out, deload for a week, then try changing up your workout. Ex: Deads for 4x5, chins 3x whatever you can do, bent rows for 3x6-8 and cables for 2 or 3 sets x 6-8. Remember, it just isn't the volume, it's how much you pout into it. Sometimes, less is better. For a guy with your experience and bodyweight, doing 20 sets is too much, and the reps in the dead are too high for you to go heavy. If you're truly working out hard, 10-12 hard sets for back will be enough. Use less to progress.

3. Analyze. Don't overdo it, but after a month or so, if you don't progress in weight and/or reps, change it!

4. Last, but not least, feel the weight. (Yeah, Zen-like and all that). That means, as someone suggested earlier, squeeze the back muscles while you're working them. Maybe you'll have to lighten up a bit at first, but it'll be worth it. Try doing your sets and squeezing the muscles for two or three seconds, then slowly lowering the bar/cable. (Do this on all exercises except for deadlifts).
    Thanks man! repped! Btw, im 150 but in reality i look about 170-175, at least thats what i get told at the gym when ppl see me lol

rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You've got a bit much volume. Also, something that hasn't been mentioned - change the routine order.

Deads 3X5
    Pullups 3Xfailure
    Bent rows 3X5
    Squat 'til you puke.

47 years old
    325# bench
    665# squat
    700# deadlift