the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 181 :: What Is The Simple, Straightforward Approach To Carb-Loading?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Simple, Straightforward Approach To Carb-Loading?

For the week of: December 4th - December 16th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many athletes will use carb-loading prior to a big event for increased performance.

What is the simple, straightforward approach to carb-loading?

Which type of events would carb-loading be very beneficial for?

Which events would carb-loading not be necessary for?

Can one use supplements to carb-load, or should they use food?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by webmaster; 12-11-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Extended Time.
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Simple carb loading

I have carb loaded for over 20 bodybuilding shows. the first thing I will tell you is find the carb that works for you.
    everyone has a carb that does nothing to thier body but fuel their muscles, have found this through countless times of experimenting in the off season loading my muscles in what I call a mini peak.
    That way when I get ready to what I call "shrink wrapping" myself there is no guessing or trial and error. my skin is tight I do not hold water and my muscles are full
    In the beginers mind there are many possibilities in the experts mind there are few.
    My carb right now is white rice and before training I eat some fruit.
    when I load for a show I eat about 300 grams a day for two days and up to 600 grams on the Friday before the show.
    keep in mind before this I have had a calorie restricted diet for at least 8-12 weeks and my body is ready for more carbs and never puts it towards fat.
    carb loading is needed for many performance athletes from running to cross country skiing all the way to bodybuiding.
    I do not think bowlers need to carb load even thought they look like they have been for months!
    I use no supplement when I carb load and only use real food, like I said you must find what works for your body and stick to a plan.

g4owensj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Simple, Straightforward Approach to Carb-loading...

Here is the summary with a detailed listing to follow (12 week show prep time)
    Sample carbs if off season carbs are @ 300 grams per day

-Weeks 12 - 7 (200 grams carbs/ day)
    Carb level to 66% (2/3) of what your off season carb level is, 1 Gallon H2O
    -Weeks 6 & 5 (150 grams carbs/ day)
    Cut Carb level 25% (1/4) from weeks 12-7, 1 to 2 Gallons H2O
    -Weeks 4 - 2 (1-150 grams carbs/ day, 3-75 grams carbs/ day)
    Cycle 1 high carb day (week 6&5 level) with 3 days of 1/2 carbs (1/2
    week 5&6), 2 Gallons H2O
    -Final week
    *Tuesday - Thursday afternoon
    Zero Carbs only protein and no salt, 2-3 gallons H2O
    *Thursday afternoon to Friday afternoon
    Zero Protein and no salt, 2 cups whole grain carbs every 2.5 hours,
    sip H2O as needed
    *Friday Afternoon
    Whole grain carbs with the addition of natural sugars and no salt,
    sip H2O as needed
    *Saturday (show day)
    Sugary carbs with rice cakes and jam, 4 oz water with breakfast

More in depth explination.....

First off, I don't think that theres a "simple" way to carb load. I say that because for the carb load to be completely effective you need to carb deplete as well as pay attention to your water and salt intakes as well.

My pre contest diet starts off at about (12) twelve weeks out, cutting my carbs down to about (2/3) two-thirds of what they normally are during the off season (from ~300g to ~200g) for the first (6) six weeks while taking in about (1) one gallon of water each day. This shock to my body will drop pretty good amounts of fat from the body but keep the carbs up high enough to really be able to set up the carb depleation that leads up to the carb loading. The key to a good carb loading is the ability to shock the body.

For weeks (6) six and (5) five I will drop the carbs (1/4) one-quarter from 200g to 150g a day. Again what this will do is shock the body and help reduce the calorie intake of your diet. I will also take in about (1) one to (2) gallons of water a day as well.

For weeks (4) four through (2) two I will do little carb depleate/load cycles. This will be (1) day of normal carb counts from weeks 6 and 5, followed by (3) three days of half carbs. I will Also drink (2) gallons of water a day during this period. This cycle has two effects, first it will again shock your body, and help to begin ridding your body of excess water. The second benefit is by doing this you can tell how your body is going to react to the carb loading and depletion. Keep on eye on vascularity in the morning as this will be different for everybody and you can use what you see to help aid in how you do the final carb load depletion and loading.

Week (1) one, the show week, with the show being on Saturday, this is what you want to do. Starting Tuesday you will stop eating any carbs. You want to minimize your carbs to as little as possible. This will continue to Thursday afternoon or Friday morning depending on how your body is looking. During this time you will drink (2) two to (3) three gallons of water a day and limiting your salt intake to as little as possible. This will begin to flush out all of the water from your skin, and by the mid day of thursday or friday morning you should have a dry look (not holding water in your skin) you will also appear flat in your muscles, no worry, as this is what the carb depletion is supposed to do. Now as for water, from Thursday afternoon about 2pm, only sip water as needed, no gulping.

Now comes the carb loading. From Thursday afternoon or Friday morning depending on how your looking you will want to switch to no protein and only natural whole grain carbs as well as only sipping water as needed. You will eat about 1.5 - 2 cups of carbs every 2.5 hours. This will last until Friday afternoon at about 2pm. At that time you can start to have some natural sugars like jams and dried fruits. At this point if you can hold off on water then do so. One main point on the carb loading is there is no eating anything after about 8pm.

Now the day of the show you will want to wake up and eat some sugary carbs, I suggest fudge or cake icing. When you wake up you should be very dry and vascular, but your muscles should be filling up and look big. This morning you can have about 8 oz of coffee or tea or water, but again only sip and don't gulp (this will help fill your muscles as well). This will be followed with rice cakes as well as jams with the sugary carbs through out the day. The idea is to give you energy through out the day.

The key to carb loading is proper depetion ahead of time, so that you have enough carbs in your diet to make a shock to your body. You can adjust this to work with your diet but this is as easy as it gets. You want to make sure you have enough carbs to be able to trick your body into thinking it's starving for carbs and then supply it with carbs, because it will store as much as possible that way, and it will store them in your muscles, making them appear larger!
    "Your not cheating me, your cheating yourself"

gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym princess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow.thanks for all the great info for all us new ppl !!this is very helpful!
    gym princess

Mfranke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The simple, straightforward approach to carb-loading

Carb-loading is used for various athletic endeavors, particularly cycling and long distance endurance events like marathons. Typically the carb-load process is performed by depleting carbohydrates for several days and then reloading your muscles with glycogen for the upcoming event. The purpose of this is to give your muscles the maximum amount of glycogen possible to increase aerobic capacity for your competition. Carb-loading is also done for aesthetic purposes such as a photo shoot and more importantly a bodybuilding competition.

(I will discuss the carb-load process for bodybuilding as this is Bodybuilding.com)

The purpose of carb-loading for bodybuilding is to create a full-muscular look when you are onstage. Full muscles will give you a larger appearance as well as help tighten your skin against the muscles giving you a hard, vascular appearance which is very important if you want to win or place well in your competition. Unfortunately, many bodybuilders overcomplicate this process and end up over carbing and place far worse than what they could have if they never carbed up in the first place!

What happens when you overcarb?
    Carbohydrates bind with water. To get the hard, dry appearance that is desirable you have to take in just enough carbs to fill your muscles with glycogen and water, but not too much that the carbs (spill over) and cause you to hold subcutaneous water.

Think of your muscles as a sponge. Just enough water will keep the sponge nice and full, but too much and water will spill all over the place!

What is the best way to carb-load properly?

Assuming that you are a natural competitor and not taking diuretics I will outline a very effective way to give you a nice full appearance without the (spillover effect).

Wednesday
    Perform light full body circuit workout to help deplete glycogen stores.
    Keep carbs intake to 50-100 grams

Thursday
    Again 50-100 grams

Friday
    At 6PM start the carb-loading process
    Eat small meals every two hours of 30 grams carbs.
    Carbs should come from oatmeal, sweet potato, banana

Saturday (showtime)
    Wake up at 7am and have another 30 grams carb
    Two hours before pre-judging have a meal containing 50 grams carbs and
    30 grams of fat.

15 minutes before going onstage sip some Gatorade or sugar drink.

Sodium manipulation is also an important part of a proper carb-load
    2 weeks out from competion increase sodium intake by 1 gram
    1 week out slowly taper down intake until you only take a maximum 1 gram per day until Saturday morning.

Saturday morning add salt to meal 2 hours before prejudging. At this time also eat a handful of raisins. They contain high levels of potassium which will also enhance your ability to allow the muscles to fill out and remove the subcutaneous water.

Your body will be somewhat depleted of sodium and the extra salt in this meal will really help your muscles suck all the water into the muscle and not underneath the skin. Don't be afraid of salt at this time, completely eliminating it is a mistake. This will really fill you out and keep you from cramping onstage!!!

*No need to manipulate water intake throughout this process. This is a common mistake started by bodybuilders using steroids that make them retain water. No diuretics or drastically cutting water!!! This will make you flat.

Carb-loading is not beneficial for sports such as football or basketball, as these are usually 2 - 3 hours. Carb-loading is meant for high endurance sports and for enhancing muscle appearance for bodybuilding/figure competitions.

Supplements are not necessary for the carb-load process. You can take carb supplements like waxy maize or dextrose during the carb up process, but I feel more complex carbs are a better choice. People also take Niacin to help flush more blood to the surface of the skin to give them a more vascular appearance.

I recommend experimenting with the carb-load process about three weeks out from your competition if you want to see exactly how your body responds.

Remember, use the mirror to guide you. If you still appear flat, go ahead and increase carbs. If you look great, don't change a thing!

Also be aware that it is better to be a little flat and be ripped than to be really full and spill over and appear big and smooth!
    Last edited by Mfranke; 12-14-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling error

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What is the simple, straightforward approach to carb-loading?
    -First three days consume less than 50 grams a day

Carbs are consumed after working out where glycogen level are at the lowest. This is why many post-workout supplements contains high amounts of carbs because your body needs those carbs to recover adequately.

-Next two days consume about 100 to 150

The first three days were brutal and now its time for your body to take in more carbs. Carbs give you a fuller look and you need these carbs to prevent getting a flat, fatigued look. I like taking in carbs during my morning meal, preworkout meal, and post-workout meal. My carbs go up with each meal.

-Final two days are high carb days over 150
    Your body has no clue what to expect on these days, but these high carbs help build muscle and keep it. Low-carb diets work, but not enough carbs makes you flat and in fact you will get more hungry over time.

This routine is favorable in my opinion. I have tinkered with this program in the past and found it work wonders when done right. This program is very similar to Chris Aceto aka Jay Cutler's nutritionist. If it can be done with Jay, imagine how you would look following it. Your metabolism is constanly changing during this cycle, but no doubt you will look good in the mirror.

Which type of events would carb-loading be very beneficial for?
    Long-distance/endurance types of events. These athletes daily have to deal with grueling practices everyday. I seen my friends in high school runs miles for a long time. Running depletes glycogen stores which in turn means less energy. Carb loading insures your glycogen stores are loaded to the max which guarantees more energy for the athlete. Soccer, marathons, hockey are just a few sports where carb loading is beneficial. Bodybuilding is another sport where carb-loading at the right time can provided the perfect mix of size and conditioning.

Which events would carb-loading not be necessary for?
    Carb-loading is not necessary for events like golf or Nascar where your body is doing less. Golfing is an incredibly hard sport, but carb loading is not necessary because its not a sport of that nature which requires it. Golf is based on skill, ability to read the green, judge wind, and use the right clubs given to you by the caddy. Nascar is skilled driving in circles or on road courses, but you are not physically taking a beating in the way a marathon runner is. I love Nascar and golf, so this is not a shot at either.

Can one use supplements to carb-load, or should they use food?
    Food should also be the first thing used when tried to carb load. Many runners use pasta before a race or eat a high-carb meal. Food is the name of the game is usually much cheaper for the athlete. I personally have ate bananas before a basketball game, so I would not cramp up and also to have maximum energy. If you have food, use it as the high carb source. On some occasions, I have used supplements or drinks to prepare for a basketball game.Gatorade or Powerade are two drinks that come to my mind, but I use them sparingly. Food is the way to go, but if you need something quick choose either one of these.

What you have read is hopefully simple and straightforward. Source used, but not necessarily quoted include Chris Aceto list of books on training and nutrition.
    Last edited by History in Effect; 12-15-2008 at 06:02 PM.
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

Registered User lightningwatche's Avatar
    lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't care about competitions. I just want to avoid catabolism right after my workout. I never know what food will get there fast enough but also give a sustained release, or how much to eat. And I'd rather not eat empty carbs either. It's my lack of understanding of dietary stuff like this that makes me feel like giving up sometimes since I think any gains I get in the gym will be quickly lost to catabolism anyway.

g4owensj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well I wouldn't use carb loading as a after workout to inpead catabalism. It is for BB comps where you need to gain size after cutting down in water, or before an athletic event in which you will need a sustained release of energy for a long period of time. What I would suggest for you after a work out to stop muscle loss would be about 45-50 grams of whey protein as well as fast digesting carbs and slow digesting carbs. Perhaps mix your protein with some gaterade and then eat a bananna (potasium helps in muscle cramping). This isn't really carb loading, but just a post work out meal.
    "Your not cheating me, your cheating yourself"