Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Bronze Account Holder Whomper107's Avatar
    Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

WhomperFit's Preparation for First Steps on Stage

Hello everyone, I guess I will start this off with some background on myself. I am a 19 year old sophomore in college, and have been lifting weights since I was 15. I would say I began what I consider bodybuilding during my junior year in high school, when I was 16... everything prior to that was just a kid lifting weights. At 15 I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 6' and 140-145 lbs, a really skinny and lean kid. Since then I have progressed to 6'1" and 220 lbs, considerable progress, but keep in mind much of it was just my body growing and developing.

I have been completely natural up to this point, and have made the decision to stay on the natural path for the duration of my interest in bodybuilding. A natural show has been an idea that I have tossed around for some time now, and as the age of twenty approaches (June 4, 2009), I have felt more pressure than ever to follow through with it. So recently I found a show in my area, and have committed to competing in it. I have chosen the Fame Lone Star Championships, held in Houston, TX the weekend of May 8th, 2009. When this contest rolls around I will still be 19, allowing me one last chance to compete as a teen.

My plan to win this contest is to continue clean bulking until February or so of next year, depending on my bodyfat, and then begin dieting down for the show. I look at these next few months as being critical to my chances of winning, because it is the last opportunity I have to add lean mass before I step on stage. Once the precontest diet begins, what you have is what you get, and it's just a matter of shedding the fat.

A little now about my program... I'll start with diet. It is clear to anyone who has seen my before picture that I am very ectomorphic, and as such I really have to pack in the calories any way that I can. A typical day looks something like this:
    BREAKFAST:
    -5 whole eggs
    -1.5 cups oats raw, mixed in 8-12oz. apple juice
    LUNCH 1:
    -PB&J on whole wheat bread
    -Apple
    SNACK:
    -Another PB&J
    LUNCH 2:
    -Some sort of meat, IE grilled chicken or beef
    -Good carb source, IE whole wheat pasta or a sweet potato with skin
    DINNER 1:
    -Another helping of lunch 2 normally
    DINNER 2:
    Weightgainer shake:
    -2 cups whole milk
    -1.5 cups oats
    -1 scoop ON Serious Mass
    -1 banana
    -2 tbsp. peanut butter
    -ice
    BEFORE BED:
    -Handful raw, unsalted nuts, IE Almonds, walnuts, pecans
    -1.5 cups fat free cottage cheese
    -1.5 cups oats raw, mixed in 8-12oz. apple juice

and on training days,
    POSTWORKOUT:
    -2 scoops Dymatize or ON whey
    -40g dextrose

Also throughout the day I have no less than a gallon of water. On training days this approaches 1.5, or even 2 gallons. Always enough so that my pee is clear. As far as cheat meals go, I keep my food clean whenever possible, but if there is something I want to eat, I just replace one of my usual meals with it. That probably happens 2-4 times a week... After all, I am a college kid. As an ectomorph I don't feel it matters too much though. However, that will all change when contest prep rolls around.

On to training... I alternate between 2 different, fairly similar splits.
    SPLIT 1:
    Day 1- Chest/Triceps, Calves, Rotator Cuff
    Day 2- Back/Biceps
    Day 3- Off
    Day 4- Shoulders, Calves
    Day 5- Off
    Day 6- Legs
    Day 7- Off

Split 2 is a push, pull, legs split where I don't have a set pattern of off days, but workout as long as my body feels up to it that day. Push day includes chest, shoulders, and triceps, pull day includes back, rear delts, traps, and biceps, and leg day includes quads, hams, and glutes.

Regardless of which split I am using, I am a big believer in adequate rest, it is my opinion that time spent resting is as important as time spent training. To me resting includes not only taking off days, but getting adequate amounts of sleep as well.

Now that I have the long winded preliminary stuff out of the way, I suppose I should move on to my goals with writing this. The number one reason is for myself... to monitor my own progress, and potentially see holes in my routine and make changes to correct them. In my experience, it is often easier to do this when everything is written out on paper. I hope to write the majority of my workouts in here, as well as what I eat at least one or two days out of the week. My other primary reason for writing this is to seek advice from those more experienced and knowing than myself. As a trainer, I consider myself to have a fairly expansive knowledge of bodybuilding and health/fitness, but contest prep is a whole new world to me, and I need all the help I can get. Also I am hoping to have a few regular readers, so that I have someone holding me accountable for missed meals, workouts, and laziness... though these are typically not problems for me.

Anyways, feel free to leave comments, advice, critiques, or anything else you think might be useful to me. I will be logging tonight's workout in here tomorrow... it's about bedtime now. For now I will post some of my top lifts, to give you an idea of where I am at in my training.

Bench - 225 x 16
    Deadlift - 472 x 6
    Squat - 375 x 6

Attached are some pics taken about an hour after tonight's workout. The lighting is off, and my posing without a mirror is pretty crappy, so keep that in mind when you view them.
    Attached Images

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Man, you've got a great base to work with. Your words bring me back to my college days. Back in the day when food was plentiful (meal plan) and the time was there to train.....responsibility was low....good times. I really want to encourage you to compete. I just did my first contest at the age of 29 and I absolutely loved it. The only problem is that I havent made any real gain since college because after graduation, REAL life happened. I fell away from my training and got fat (check my progress pics). It wasnt until my health started to decline that I decided to get back into it. In college, I trained like a bodybuilder, ate like a freak and put on TONS of mass (much like yourself). I actually had a metabolism back then (enjoy it while it lasts). I never competed though.....I regret not getting started early.

So, that said, DO IT! You've got a great base of muscle to work with. Now, peel it. You'll look great on stage and if you come in tight enough, you will dominate the teen division.

You mention bulking is critical to winning. I want to say that yes, muscle is obviously important. But, leanness is king. Dont overdue the bulk and stop in PLENTY of time to diet down. A solid 4 months is necessary.....maybe more.
    Last edited by AustrianOakJr; 12-04-2008 at 06:41 AM.
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr View Post
    Man, you've got a great base to work with. Your words bring me back to my college days. Back in the day when food was plentiful (meal plan) and the time was there to train.....responsibility was low....good times. I really want to encourage you to compete. I just did my first contest at the age of 29 and I absolutely loved it. The only problem is that I havent made any real gain since college because after graduation, REAL life happened. I fell away from my training and got fat (check my progress pics). It wasnt until my health started to decline that I decided to get back into it. In college, I trained like a bodybuilder, ate like a freak and put on TONS of mass (much like yourself). I actually had a metabolism back then (enjoy it while it lasts). I never competed though.....I regret not getting started early.

So, that said, DO IT! You've got a great base of muscle to work with. Now, peel it. You'll look great on stage and if you come in tight enough, you will dominate the teen division.

Ditto..........the good 'ol days, eh Oak???

As for the 'kid' here, awesome size........my only comment would be that if you really want to win this thing consider starting your prep earlier. If you were to start early or mid-Feb for a early May show, you are only giving yourself 10 -12 weeks...........consider a 15 or 16 week prep for your first show. If you come in tight a week or two early, no big deal - easier to maintain that than rush the last week and try and lose that extra fat. Also, a longer prep will help to conserve more muscle during fat loss. You will also be surprised at how light you will come in.........if you think 190 will be your contest weight, then guaranteed you will be 180-185 if you do things right. Time is on your side if you use it properly.

I think most here would agree that many people tend to greatly underestimate the needed prep time for teh first show. Err on the side of caution and give yourself more time. I just started a 20 week prep this week and a may even have another week or two on top of that (show date may change), but either way I will ensure that I am cut and dry and conserve much needed muscle.

Best of luck to you and we'll be watching ;-)
    Getting stage ready with the help of Alberto Nunez and 3DMJ !!!!

April 13, 2013 - UFE Spring Bash

April 21, 2013 - IDFA Novice Classic

Follow the journey at; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151186213

AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Step Beyond View Post
    Ditto..........the good 'ol days, eh Oak???

;-)
    College was a bodybuilder's paradise. I just wish I realized it more back then.

3DMJ Athlete

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can see it now,..Oak beats Jay Cutler in the 2009 Olympia!! Oh what it could have been,...looks like you'll have to train to beat me in the Open next October,..

Originally Posted by stayfit2008 View Post
    I can see it now,..Oak beats Jay Cutler in the 2009 Olympia!! Oh what it could have been,...looks like you'll have to train to beat me in the Open next October,..
    I dont plan on ever being at that level due to my unwillingness to use "enhancements". But, I think if I started back then, id be much further along, thats for sure. Taking YEARS off from training doesnt do much for your physique.

3DMJ Athlete

Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Push Day - 12/4/2008

AustrianOak: I couldn't agree with you more on college being a bodybuilder's paradise. Given that it is the last four years of my life I will be supported by my parents, it will never be this easy to find the time and food to bodybuild. I am living off campus in an apartment though, so no mealplan, but I do have a kitchen, so there are no excuses on not following the diet.

The only problem is the ups and downs of life that come and go as exams and finals roll around... one week I may have all the time in the world to workout, while another, I feel as though I should be spending every free minute studying. This has made time management absolutely critical this year... but I still come across weeks where I am thrown off schedule by a round of tests. It is my opinion that an extra few days of rest never hurt amid a tough training regimen though, so I never feel too guilty about it.

If there has ever been an easier time for me, I would say it was high school. Back in high school I would eat no less than 12 times a day... I was that guy who carried around a huge sack of food, and ate a sandwich and piece of fruit during every class. Everything was regimented, with the same schedule everyday, which made for unbelievable consistency. If only I had the training intensity then that I do now, as well as the development in my body.

StepBeyond: Duly noted on the earlier start, I have decided to begin the precontest plan no later than the beginning of February, if not in January sometime. My plan is to begin measuring my bodyfat regularly at the start of the New Year, and based on that I will calculate how much time will be needed to shred to my goal, and add a couple of weeks on top of that.

Thanks to both of you for the kind words and advice. This is last nights workout, push day. I was in the gym by myself, and just not feeling my absolute strongest by a small margin, so lifts are down slightly, but it was a good workout nonetheless. Triceps are especially sore.

12/4/08, Push Day
    CHEST:
    Incline DB Press
    1. 60 x 15
    2. 80 x 12
    3. 95 x 10
    4. 105 x 5.5

Incline SM Press
    1. 135 x 12
    2. 205 x 10
    3. 195 x 8 --> 145 x 12 (DROP SET)

Chest Fly Machine
    1. 120 x 15
    2. 140 x 10
    3. 160 x 8 --> 120 x 8
    SHOULDERS
    DB Laterals
    1. 25 x 12
    2. 40 x 9, RP (Rest pause) 3

At this point a BB shoulder press opened up, so I jumped on it.

Military Press
    1. 95 x 12
    2. 115 x 12
    3. 135 x 9 RP (in top position) 3
    155 x 5 RP 3

DB Laterals again
    3. 35 x 12 --> 30 x 5 --> 25 x 5 --> 17.5 x 5 --> Plate Front Raise x 10

TRICEP
    1-Arm Reverse Grip Cable Pressdown
    1. 3 x 12
    2. 5 x 12
    3. 6 x 6 --> 4 x 4

Dips
    1. BW x 17
    2. BW x 10
    3. BW x 7

Then did some calves on donkey calf machine, and some rotator cuff exercises with cables.

Legs today sometime, will have that up later tonight.

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Put some weight on them dips,..great split. pushing some good weight! reps on the pr military press!

Nice work. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and a solid plan. Im really excited for you and will keep plugged into this thread as you update.

Yea.....if it wasnt for that pesky school work, college would rock. He he he. Seriously though....studies are key so you gotta make sure youre on track with that. Nattie bbing is great, but it wont pay the bills.....your education will. Now, I wasnt a med student or rocket science major or anything like that, so I dont know what REAL college work it about, but I dont remember toooo many days where I had to skip out on the gym for school work. So, just remember that as you get closer to d-day, the time in the gym and kitchen gets much more intense. Its worth it though. Keep pumping!

3DMJ Athlete

Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Looks like a log definitely worth following. Do you have any current pictures of your 220lb self?

Best of luck, I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Instagram - @gourmetpaul

Powerbuilding Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172129013

Offering full contest prep, body transformation, and nutritional coaching. PM for inquiries.

Pull Day - 12/4/08

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it. I might have added weight to the dips, but the gym was packed, and someone had taken the chain weight belt. Just to clarify, by RP I meant rest pause, not personal record... but my record to date on military press may not be too much higher, if I remember correctly. The pictures I included were taken yesterday, but I feel as though they are not very flattering. I plan to have some better one's up next week sometime.

I wasn't feeling legs today... they were a little sore from doing some running yesterday. So I decided to do pull day instead.
    12/4/08, Pull day
    BACK:
    Back Extensions using a barbell
    1. BW x 15
    2. 55 x 10
    3. 75 x 20
    4. 95 x 12
    5. 95 x 10

BB Row
    1. 135 x 12
    2. 225 x 10
    3. 275 x 5 --> 185 x 15 (--> = DROP SET)

Rack Chins
    1. BW x 12
    2. BW x 10
    3. BW x 9 RP (RP = REST PAUSE) 2

DB Pullover/DB Row Superset
    1. PO- 80 x 15, Row- 80 x 10
    2. PO- 90 x 12, Row- 90 x 8

BICEP
    Standing Heath Curls (Basically a DB curl following a right arm, together, left arm pattern. 1 cycle is 1 rep. Normally done seated)
    1. 40 x 6
    2. 40 x 4
    3. 30 x 6

DB Hammer Preacher Curl
    1. 35 x 5, 1N (N = NEGATIVE)
    2. 30 x 5
    3. 25 x 8

REAR DELT
    Reverse Cable Fly
    1. 17.5 x 20
    2. 22.5 x 10
    3. 25 x 5

Abs

I have not been doing deadlifts or rack pulls the past few weeks per my chiropractors recommendation. For the past year or two I have experienced lower back pain while sitting in the same position for extended periods. He suggested taking a break from deadlifts to strengthen my core with exercises like back extensions, Roman chair, and crunches, so I am giving his advice a shot. Overall a pretty good workout. It has been a long time since I did back extensions, and I was pleased to see the weight I needed to challenge myself has shot up considerably. That's all for now... legs is Saturday, I will post it afterward, and may post up today or tomorrow's diet in the meantime.

Computer Science Brah DesireToGrow's Avatar
    DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Well well welll! Looks like you decided to go through with it. I'm glad man. I'll be sitting front row with a banner. Haha, hurry up and get done with exams so you can come home and i can whip your ass in the gym. Sub'd.

Leg Day - 12/6/08

LEGS
    Leg Extensions
    150 x 15
    200 x 15
    235 x 15
    245 x 15

Squat
    135 x 15
    225 x 8
    315 x 5
    405 x 3 (Personal Record)

Glute-Ham Raises (I do these assisted by placing a bench in front of me. Can't do a free form one unless I'm fresh)
    BW x 6
    BW x 4
    BW x 4

Lunges
    115 x 12 (each leg)
    135 x 11 (each leg)
    155 x 6 (each leg)

Lying Leg Curl
    Stack (200) x 15 --> Sissy Squat x 10
    200 x 12 --> Sissy Squat x 10

Pretty good workout overall. Set a new personal record on the squat, which is always nice. It has been my goal to squat 405 x 5 before 2009, so I am right on track. I am definitely feeling this workout, and probably will be for another few days. As always, comments of any kind are always appreciated. Weighed in at 222.4 afterward.
    Last edited by Whomper107; 12-07-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Forgot to log weight

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need at least four months of dieting... more like five if you want to get truly shredded. I would start dieting in mid January at the latest.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

Reschedule

I have decided to begin prep the first or second week in January, which will give me about 18 weeks to lean down. Up until then, it's a super clean bulk to try to add some last minute mass with minimal fat gain.

12/9/08 - Push Day

Hello everyone-
    I finished up finals yesterday, so I am back home now with nothing to do but eat and workout for the next 5-6 weeks. Workout intensity is always boosted when I'm at home, my partner here (DesireToGrow) is a big guy who really gives me a run for my money. Just finished up working out, here it is:

Push Day - 12/9/08
    CHEST
    DB Press
    1. 60 x 20
    2. 80 x 12
    3. 100 x 10
    4. 105 x 14

Incline Smith Machine Press
    1. 135 x 12
    2. 210 x 6 --> 160 x 4 --> 110 x 5 --> 60 x 10
    3. 210 x 6 --> 160 x 4 --> 110 x 6 --> 60 x 12

Incline DB Fly
    1. 40 x 20
    2. 55 x 11

SHOULDERS
    Lateral/Front Raise Giant Set

1. Front: 10 x 4, 15 x 4, 20 x 4, 25 x 4, 30 x 4, 35 x 4, 40 x 4, Lateral: 35 x 4, 30 x 4, 25 x 4, 20 x 4, 15 x 4, 10 x 4 (all done continuously, sort of Ronnie Coleman style)

2. Lateral: 10 x 4, 15 x 4, 20 x 4, 25 x 4, 30 x 4, 35 x 4, Front: 35 x 4, 30 x 4, 25 x 4, 20 x 4-- had to stop here because I was about to lay down a PB&J on the mirror.

TRICEPS
    Rope Pulldowns
    1. 42.5 x 12
    2. 57.5 x 12
    3. 80 x 12, 1N (1 negative)

Cable Skullcrusher
    1. 40 x 12
    2. 50 x 12
    3. 55 x 15

CALVES

Pretty tough workout... my forearms are particularly tired, which is strange. It's so bad that I am having a hard time typing this. Calves got ripped up pretty bad as well, we did a race to 75 reps on seated calf, as well as some other calf work. Legs have recovered much earlier than I expected, I think it can be attributed to the lack of leg presses the other day. My chiropractor recommended laying off them for the time being because they flatten out the lower back, causing undue stress. That's all for now, tune in Thursday for pull day.

Computer Science Brah DesireToGrow's Avatar
    DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

The log is off to a great start so far! Keep it updated with lots of pics bro. I'll upload the couple from my phone sometime later today. Those pictures you took really don't do you justice. We need to find some better lighting so people have a better idea of your starting point.

Pull day

Hi all-
    After being thoroughly devastated by push day the other day, I took an off day, and then did pull day this afternoon.
    12/11/08 - Pull Day
    BACK
    Deadlift
    135 x 8
    225 x 6
    315 x 5
    405 x 10
    500 x 0 - was trying for one, but my back was just too tired. It surprised me that I could not get it up, at one time I pulled 485 for 3, so it made sense that I should be able to. I suppose the set prior to this one was just too fatiguing.

BB Row
    135 x 12
    225 x 10
    No more, lower back too tired

Standing Cable Low Row, Assisted Wide Grip Chin superset
    160 x 10, 55 x 10
    210 x 10, 55 x 10
    255 x 7, 55 x 10

Standing Machine Row, Lat Pull Pullover superset
    85 x 10, 55 x 10
    100 x 10, 55 x 10

Rear Delt Cable Fly
    15 x 12
    20 x 10

Cable Shrugs
    160 x 20
    180 x 15
    200 x 10 --> 160 x 10 --> 120 x 10

BICEPS
    HS Preacher Curls
    DB Hammer Curls
    I have given up writing down weights and sets for biceps... I really hate training them.

Weighed in afterward at 226, without a shake. That is an all time high, so things are looking good. Saturday is leg day, should be a real beating.

Originally Posted by Whomper107 View Post
    Hi all-
    After being thoroughly devastated by push day the other day, I took an off day, and then did pull day this afternoon.
    12/11/08 - Pull Day
    BACK
    Deadlift
    135 x 8
    225 x 6
    315 x 5
    405 x 10
    500 x 0 - was trying for one, but my back was just too tired. It surprised me .
    DL numbers are awesome. My goal is to be able to DL over 400 lbs for reps. Not there yet. Of course, the previously herniated disk doesnt help, but who like excuses?

So....whats with the progression of reps? Why 315 for only 5 and then 405 for 10? How does that work? Rest time different or something?

3DMJ Athlete

On big movements like the deadlift, I follow a Dorian Yates type philosophy. Basically every set is a warm up until the last set or two, where you really go all out. So the only purpose of the 315 set and everything under that was to prep myself for the heavy sets. I feel like saving my energy for the really heavy sets is worthwhile, otherwise there is no way I would get 405 x 10. I am very fearful of lower back problems, such as herniated disks... how did that happen to you?

Diet

Just for fun, here is today's diet:

Breakfast-
    6 eggs
    1.5c rolled oats raw in 8oz. apple juice

Preworkout
    2 slices whole wheat bread
    ~5-6 oz. turkey breast
    1 slice cheese (turkey sandwich)
    1 apple
    16 oz. skim milk

Immediately preworkout
    1 Redline

Immediately postworkout
    2 scoops Dymatize whey
    40g dextrose

Postworkout meal
    1/3 box of whole wheat pasta
    1/3 can Barilla spaghetti sauce, made with olive oil
    1 chicken sausage

Dinner 1
    Large portion rotisserie chicken breast
    1.5 sweet potatoes, diced and baked with rosemary, salt, and olive oil
    Salad

Dinner 2
    Small portion chicken breast, 2 legs
    1.5 sweet potatoes prepared as above
    Salad

Before Bed
    2c oats raw in 12oz. apple juice
    1.5c fat free cottage cheese
    1 handful walnuts

Anyone have a ballpark guess at how many calories that is? I haven't reached encyclopedia status with knowing the calories in foods yet haha.

Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000)
    www.fitday.com is what I use to track.
    Instagram - @gourmetpaul

Powerbuilding Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172129013

Offering full contest prep, body transformation, and nutritional coaching. PM for inquiries.

Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50) Step Beyond will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://thecaloriecounter.com/

You can use this site as well to determine calorie amounts for food.

Should really try to go by what is on the package though, for best and most accurate readings.

Also, get a small kitchen scale and some measuring cups. Might as well get into the practice of mesuring and weighing your food and cataloging it. Come prep time in Januray it will be essential to your success.

By the way, you are a freak - meant in the nicest way possible ;-) Just awesome numbers. You are gonna look damn scary come stage time !!!! Keep up the great work.
    Getting stage ready with the help of Alberto Nunez and 3DMJ !!!!

April 13, 2013 - UFE Spring Bash

April 21, 2013 - IDFA Novice Classic

Follow the journey at; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151186213

Originally Posted by Whomper107 View Post
    ... how did that happen to you?
    I got FAT.

Well, that and I have horrible lower back genetics.

The disk actually popped while I was in the hospital helping my wife while she was in labor. And its not like my wife is a big person. She normally weighs 130 lbs....maybe she was 175 pregnant......I was helping a feeble old nurse move my wife further up on the bed. I went to lift and POP.....it was all over. The reason WHY it popped was because I was really out of shape and carrying 40 lbs of extra fat around with me.

But I am really fearful as well.......I try to pay strict attention to form with DLing and squats.

3DMJ Athlete

Burk2100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi my name is Jeff, I've been following your progress for awhile now, you are a true inspiration to a kid like me. I am your biggest fan, i hope one day to meet you and maybe train with you in the gym!!!

haha just kidding just wanted to let you see how it feels to have a super fan. You better watch out you jackass, after reading this I'm going home with a new sense of motivation. Im gonna come back to school 10 pounds heavier, a girl on each arm and massive grin on my face. Oh by the way we both need change our waist size on our profiles to account for squat ass. Mine is just getting unreasonable the other day i knocked over a glass of milk that was sitting on the table with it.

P.S. we both need to edit our waist size on our profiles to account for squat ass. Mine is getting alittle big out of hand just today i knocked a glass of milk off the dinning room table with mine.
    Last edited by Burk2100; 12-12-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Legs 12/13/08

Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr View Post
    I got FAT.

Well, that and I have horrible lower back genetics.
    Haha I will do what I can to not let that happen, I was afraid you would say it just happened as a product of lifting. I also try to keep my form strict on DL and squats, more so than other exercises. Few things could be worse than spending the rest of your life bent over because of a lower back injury. I feel I may have been able to pull the 500, but at that level of fatigue it would have lead to some arching of the back that I was not at all interested in doing. On to leg day...

Legs, 12/13/08
    LEG PRESS (~170lb sled added to all weights) - Decided to once again go against my chiro's recommendation, tried to ease the stress by using a belt on my heavier sets. I found it helped maintain my natural S-curvature in the lower back, as well as kept the bar in the seat from digging into it.
    570 x 10
    800 x 10
    1070 x 10 (with belt)
    1250 x 10 (with belt) (PR)

HACK SQUAT (no sled factored in)
    180 x 10
    270 x 10
    520 x 10 (with knee wraps, belt) (PR by 70 lbs and 3 reps)

LEG EXTENSIONS
    75 x 100

GLUTE-HAM RAISES (with bench assistance)
    BW x 6
    BW x 6

LYING LEG CURL
    170 x 15
    210 (stack + increments) x 10
    200 x 10 --> 155 x 5 --> 110 x 5 --> 65 x 5 --> 30 x 4 (one leg at a time, each leg) --> 30 x 3 (both legs)

Absolutely exhausting workout, my partner and I were both dying. Interestingly, he always dominates me on quads (Leg press 1250 x 15), but I always come back to get him on hamstrings. We attribute it to the fact that I have always squatted and done most exercises with a wide stance, promoting more glute/ham development, while he has always done everything close footed, hitting the quads more. Legs measured at 26.75 at the largest part (pumped), an all time high. Calves were 16.5, they are catching up nicely. In the past, they were always a glaring weakpoint, but I feel they are finally getting up to par. Tomorrow sometime is push day, looking forward to it, but this soreness will be debilitating.

Push Day - 12/14/08

Hello everyone. Got in the gym at around 10 tonight to do push day, and was able to take a few pictures afterward.

PUSH DAY - 12/14/08
    CHEST
    Warm up sets on machine chest press

Incline Smith Machine Press
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    235 x 10 --> 185 x 5 --> 135 x 10

Incline DB Press
    80 x 10
    75 x 12

Incline DB Fly
    35 x 10
    45 x 10

Cable Flys
    50 x 15 --> 40 x 10 --> 30 x 10 --> 20 x 15

SHOULDERS
    DB Laterals/DB Front Raise Giant Set
    1. 20 x 5 --> 25 x 5 --> 30 x 5 --> 35 x 5 --> (Front Raise) 35 x 5 --> 30 x 5 --> 25 x 5 --> 20 x 5
    2. Same set but front raises first, laterals second

Machine Shoulder Press, 1 set

TRICEP
    Rope Pulldowns
    60 x 10
    90 x 10
    150 x 10

Cable Skullcrushers
    70 x 10
    100 x 10
    130 x 12

CALVES

Pretty tough workout, though I didn't break quite the sweat that I did yesterday on legs. Not that that is any surprise... nothing wears you out quite like legs does. Pictures in a separate post.

Pics

And as promised, the pictures. Feel free to comment/critique.
    Attached Images

BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigFatCox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its Cox. Great stuff dude, spencer told me you were gonna compete so I checked out your bodyspace.

You're lookin huge. With your dedication I guarantee you you can at least place, but most likely win, especially if you keep up this determination for the next 5 months. I bet it will be completely worth the effort when its over too.
    Just make sure you find some variety to keep yourself busy...5 months is a long time to stay extremely and so strictly motivated (at least for me), but we are two different people and bodybuilding is your thing.

I went to a Ju Jitsu tournament the other day with my dad, trained my ass off and cut to 185 for it but didnt do it last minute because I have real bad burstitis (inflammation) in my good shoulder and didnt want to make it worse (also they combined the beginner and expert divisions and I woulda got smashed).. But it was retarted...literally a third of the people got badly hurt and I don't think it would have been worth it, and for now I think I'm just gonna focus on just the training aspect of MMA, and on getting back up to 205 LEANLY now that I'm a rail again. I'm gonna diligently try out some of your bulking diet and see how it works for me, (might take out a meal or two at first since our metabolisms are very different).
    But yeah man keep this up and dont let school stress or small injuries you might have on the way bring you down. Keep this log going and just see where all your hard work can take you. You look great @ 220, can't even imagine what u'll look like after the cut lol. Good luck, i'll be keepin track of this too.
    Last edited by BigFatCox; 12-15-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Pull Day - 12/16/08

What's up Cox? That's a shame about the tournament, it sucks to have wasted the effort cutting only to not be able to compete. Injuries are a real pain in the ass. My advice for hitting your weight goal and staying lean would just be to clean your diet up, and work on your consistency... It will be tough in the dorms, the meal plan really becomes pretty worthless. Also cut back on the drinking, you won't get too far doing that every weekend. Rather than cutting out a few meals, just cut back on the carb content of each meal while keeping your protein up and healthy fats stable. See what that does to your weight.

Anyways, today was pull day. Decided to go with rack pulls instead of deadlifts to relieve some of the stress on my lower back. I find it gets worked well, but without the unbearable soreness and aching that comes with deadlifts.

PULL DAY - 12/16/08
    BACK
    Assisted Chins, strict form
    100 x 10
    70 x 10
    40 x 10

Rack Pulls
    225 x 10
    315 x 10
    405 x 25 (PR)

BB Rows on Smith Machine
    135 x 10
    225 x 12
    Lower back cashed out, decided to forgo the third set

Machine Row/Machine Lat Pull superset
    100 x 10 --> 145 x 10
    160 x 12 --> 145 x 10

REAR DELTS/TRAPS

Guillotine Rows/Cable Shrug superset
    32.5 x 10 --> 130 x 15
    42.5 x 15 --> 170 x 15
    52.5 x 10 --> 200 x 15

BICEPS
    Heath Curls
    Standing EZ Bar Curls
    Hammer Curl Dropset

Overall a pretty good workout, I can really feel it in my lower back. Tomorrow is an off day, followed by legs on Wednesday, check back then.