Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000)

If you were in my position, what would you do? (reps)

I have stalled on all my lifts, been lifting 16 months, and my lower back hurts when sitting down. However, I can still squat/deadlift. I've pretty much been on a split all year long, doing 5 reps on compounds and 8 reps on everything else.

Current 5RM
    Squat - 215
    Bench - 170
    Deadlift - 245
    Standing Military - 110
    Barbell Rows - 150

Would you do 5x5, or a hypertrophy routine? I am bulking for the next 4 months.

Please list why, will rep.

Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000) Bone32 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are stuck, try taking a week off. Thats what I did and after I came back I easily got over my previous lifts.
    t(-_-t)

Rep back 1k+

Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bone32 View Post
    If you are stuck, try taking a week off. Thats what I did and after I came back I easily got over my previous lifts.
    nah I've been at the same weight for a long time, the only way I'll come out of it is to do 5x5. I'm doing 5x5 now but I'm starting to think I might get lower back problems if I keep pushing it.

Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have been going 16 months without a break, you need one badly. Then come back fresh with a new routine and better diet.

Do strength based routine and bulk, you will still gain mass if you are eating enough.
    Meow

Originally Posted by Nom Z View Post
    If you have been going 16 months without a break, you need one badly. Then come back fresh with a new routine and better diet.

Do strength based routine and bulk, you will still gain mass if you are eating enough.
    No I've had many breaks, and my diet is fine.

Just the issue at hand is what routine to follow despite my circumstances.

Either do 5x5 and gain strength with the possibility of screwing up my lower back, or do hypertrophy but not gain any strength.

SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    dont' mess with your back I wound up in ER over the summer for a lower back injury, still feel it.

Get runners, dont' wear skate shoes much. soon as my back starts to tingle that's the first thing I do, switch to real runners.

after your week or few days off do lift, up the reps lower the weight a tad for a few weeks, build some endurance, get the back used to doing it. If you feel a tingle or it start to hurt in a bad way stop. KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

Straighten up that posture. It will make a big difference with how you back feels.

Hope that helps some
    Good Luck. But luck has nothing to do with it.

You don't wear a icon, you become one.

"Light days, what is that, some kind of tampon?"
    -Branch Warren

Originally Posted by SpaceForRent View Post
    dont' mess with your back I wound up in ER over the summer for a lower back injury, still feel it.

Get runners, dont' wear skate shoes much. soon as my back starts to tingle that's the first thing I do, switch to real runners.

after your week or few days off do lift, up the reps lower the weight a tad for a few weeks, build some endurance, get the back used to doing it. If you feel a tingle or it start to hurt in a bad way stop. KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

Straighten up that posture. It will make a big difference with how you back feels.

Hope that helps some
    Yea good advice man. I think I won't do 5x5 for now, I'm going to be seeing a physical therapist soon.

Do you think I should stick to a bodypart split then?

I really do want to get stronger but I don't want to risk screwing up my lower back. If that means I have to lower the weight and do higher reps that's fine with me.

You think that's my best route?

SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpaceForRent is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Crazy_Desi View Post
    Yea good advice man. I think I won't do 5x5 for now, I'm going to be seeing a physical therapist soon.

Do you think I should stick to a bodypart split then?

I really do want to get stronger but I don't want to risk screwing up my lower back. If that means I have to lower the weight and do higher reps that's fine with me.

You think that's my best route?
    Whenever your doing something with back warm up stretch out, stretch a day or two after, it helps.

yes, I'd go with higher reps, make sure your technique is dead on.

Personally i'd do a split like this:

Chest
    Back
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Arms

2 days off, or put one day off in there somewhere and take a break before doing chest again.

That's what i'm doing and it works pretty good, again if it starts to feel bad quit, get out of there.

-Branch Warren

Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i wouldnt know what to do about your back injury.
    i had a back injury from doing squats a couple weeks ago, but it was minor, i took a week off and now its good.

i had the same problem as you, i was stuck on the same weight for some time.

apachhe2 gave me advice to have a 4 week cycle.
    something like.
    week 1 - heavy
    week 2 - medium
    week 3 - heaviest
    week 4 - deload.

you can ask him for advice, his better off giving you advice than most of the people hear, hes an experienced powerlifter.
    Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SpaceForRent View Post

Hope that helps some
    Only problem with running shoes is that they arent designed for lifting, thick-cushioning soles absorb your power in squats, and wedge heels force you on your toes when deadlifting. Why not get shoes that fit your feet well and provide proper arch support? I recently purchased ASICS wrestling shoes, and they have a lot of arch support and are great for lifting.

I would do a mix of hypertrophy and strength reps to get both worlds, see a chiropractor or physical therapist bc your back holds up everything else, screw that up and no lifting at all.
    Meow

mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mitchus55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nah I've been at the same weight for a long time, the only way I'll come out of it is to do 5x5. I'm doing 5x5 now but I'm starting to think I might get lower back problems if I keep pushing it.
    The seriously best thing for you that everyone has been saying already is for you to take a week or two off. If you stick to your diet and do some cardio you should come back and be able to destroy man!
    "You can't always get what you want", - Jagger.

That join date though...

Originally Posted by Nom Z View Post
    Only problem with running shoes is that they arent designed for lifting, thick-cushioning soles absorb your power in squats, and wedge heels force you on your toes when deadlifting. Why not get shoes that fit your feet well and provide proper arch support? I recently purchased ASICS wrestling shoes, and they have a lot of arch support and are great for lifting.

I would do a mix of hypertrophy and strength reps to get both worlds, see a chiropractor or physical therapist bc your back holds up everything else, screw that up and no lifting at all.
    I'm not talking about lifting wear whatever you want to lift I"m saying during the regular course of the day wear runners, outside the gym, they will help your back.

-Branch Warren

Appreciate the advice, I think what I will do is stick to a split, and follow these guidelines..

-I will go light on anything that stresses the lower back (squats, shoulder presses).
    -I'll use 10 reps for non compounds lifts, and 8 reps for compounds.
    -I'll also stretch a lot more.

I guess I'll do this until my lower back pain is gone..

Appreciate the advice, I think what I will do is stick to a split, and follow these guidelines..

-I will go light on anything that stresses the lower back (squats, shoulder presses).
    -I'll use 10 reps for non compounds lifts, and 8 reps for compounds.
    -I'll also stretch a lot more.

I guess I'll do this until my lower back pain is gone..
    Warm-up progressively for all exercises, especially ones involving your back. Try deads/squats warmed up well and perfect form.
    Meow

Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have stalled on all my lifts, been lifting 16 months, and my lower back hurts when sitting down. However, I can still squat/deadlift. I've pretty much been on a split all year long, doing 5 reps on compounds and 8 reps on everything else.

Bench - 170
    How are you stalled at 170 bench..? You're a good size that shouldnt be the case.
    "What do you weigh? 170? 180?"
    "No man, about 155 on a good day."
    "What the fook you're huge!"

Always love the gay "wow you look really good" comments from people, makes me laugh inside. I guess in the gym, it's acceptable to comment on a male's phyisque in any gay way possible.

"Wow, nice glutes bro!"

Originally Posted by Joe_Lacek View Post
    How are you stalled at 170 bench..? You're a good size that shouldnt be the case.
    Seriously, I have no idea lol. My last bulk I got up to 5/5/3x180, but then I ended my bulk and never tried.

It may be a form issue, I just don't feel very stable under that weight.. 11.5'' forearms ftl.

Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joe_Lacek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need stablizers. Start doing Dumbell press, that will help alot. Alot of assistance lifts are the key.

Close grip bench, incline dumbbell press. Tricep workouts
    "What do you weigh? 170? 180?"
    "No man, about 155 on a good day."
    "What the fook you're huge!"

Always love the gay "wow you look really good" comments from people, makes me laugh inside. I guess in the gym, it's acceptable to comment on a male's phyisque in any gay way possible.

"Wow, nice glutes bro!"

l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50) l3urney will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lower back issues mean you need more core work.

work those inner ab muscles, and you're lower back will feel much better.

speaking from experience

Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papacow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i like how your bodyspace page says 197 :P

Originally Posted by Papacow View Post
    i like how your bodyspace page says 197 :P
    1RM, and that was when I was doing 180 for reps.

Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    apachhe2 gave me advice to have a 4 week cycle.
    something like.
    week 1 - heavy
    week 2 - medium
    week 3 - heaviest
    week 4 - deload.

you can ask him for advice, his better off giving you advice than most of the people hear, hes an experienced powerlifter.
    lol, thanks man!

OP -

1) solid deload
    2) core work
    3) warmup VERY well for squats and deads
    4) don't go heavy 2 weeks in a row
    Last edited by Apachhe2; 12-04-2008 at 09:28 AM.
    Owner @ Gymless Fitness: http://gymlessfit.com

SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SotexKilla08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    id start doing pyramids if youre at a plateau, thats what i did and it seemed to help. it helped me jump from 205 to 225 on bench

edit: hyperextensions really helped me out, along with planks. planks really helped as well. thats my two cents
    http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercise...cle=Lower+Back
    Last edited by SotexKilla08; 12-04-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hesiodd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how about the best way to increase weights: drop sets

armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyguy012 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how about you change up your routine? do diffrent exercise in a diffrent order.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    - General George Patton Jr

brb ultrasoundin' TheMightyManlet's Avatar
    TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000) TheMightyManlet is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would completely swap your routine up...

Start a strength routine, say 3 days a week, each focusing on either bench, squat, deadlift. For compounds do heavy triples/doubles, use chains/bands etc. and aim for strength. You will gain mass if you're diet is in check. After a while (when your strength is pretty good) have a week break then start a bb routine (if your aim is mass?), more reps, less weight etc.