Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Instant Ketosis

mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by driven1 View Post
    It used to take me about 3 days to re-establish keto after a Saturday carb up (12 hours). But, my trainer shared something with me that gets me back into ketosis by Monday evening. It's safe and doesn't involve screwing with insulin or expensive supps.

After you carb up, you simply do cardio at 70% of your RHR until you deplete your glycogen. Or, as runner's call it, until you "hit the wall". The signs of glycogen depletion are: headache, fatigue, dizziness, weakness in the knees. Believe me, you'll know when you hit it.

How long you need to work out depends on your storage capacity. I can take an average of anywhere from 69 to 90 minutes to deplete. This depends on how "bad" I was on my carb up.

What works best for me is to have a zero carb day on Sunday. Then, late Sunday afternoon I will do this depletion workout.

It works.

Keep in mind that people have actually killed themselves doing the insulin thing...
    So you carb-up on Saturday, have zero carbs on Sunday, and then late Sunday afternoon you do the depletion workout? Just trying to understand. I thought the carb-up was supposed to start immediately after your depletion workout.

How would you do cardio at 70% of your RHR? Did you mean MHR?

Thank you!
    Mickapoo

rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I gave leucine a try two months ago. Didnt really see much from it, so I stopped after a few weeks. However, my diet wasnt very keto friendly.

Since I still have some at home, and my diet is on track, I may give this a try. Actually, I may stop at GNC (only place available in my area) at lunch and pick some more up.

rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I forgot to provide an update on this.

Picked up some leucine that day and started with 9 grams every two hours. When I got home, the stix registered a small amount. However, my cardio was increased a little that day

I cant say that the leucine did the trick, but I didnt register prior to the leucine.

Do I recommend trying this? Yes. It would be interesting to see how others feel about it

Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually mickapoo, you continue to eat carbs on Sunday until around 2-3pm. However, you want to make sure that around noon you are eating all high GI carbs so that you break them down quickly and they are not still being digested after you cut off your carbs. I cycle around 5-10 grams of leucine and 200mg of ALA with 5 grams of fish oil every two hours until I go to bed. The goal is 4 servings. It works for me, anyway.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will."
    -Victor Hugo

Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Acula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    RTM, did you use anything to increase your insulin sensitivity? This makes a big difference. ALA and fish oil are really good for this, plus all the other general health benefits.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will."
    -Victor Hugo

mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickapoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by driven1 View Post
    It used to take me about 3 days to re-establish keto after a Saturday carb up (12 hours). But, my trainer shared something with me that gets me back into ketosis by Monday evening. It's safe and doesn't involve screwing with insulin or expensive supps.

After you carb up, you simply do cardio at 70% of your RHR until you deplete your glycogen. Or, as runner's call it, until you "hit the wall". The signs of glycogen depletion are: headache, fatigue, dizziness, weakness in the knees. Believe me, you'll know when you hit it.

How long you need to work out depends on your storage capacity. I can take an average of anywhere from 69 to 90 minutes to deplete. This depends on how "bad" I was on my carb up.
    So you are basically saying that once my glycogen stores are completely depleted I'm automatically in ketosis? It can happen that quickly? Or is it only because you've been doing it a while?
    Last edited by mickapoo; 12-23-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    RTM, did you use anything to increase your insulin sensitivity? This makes a big difference. ALA and fish oil are really good for this, plus all the other general health benefits.
    I usually take fish oil on a daily basis.

Ask100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As leucine increases blood insulin levels, this would normally be associated with kicking you out of ketosis.

But the idea being touted is, spiking insulin will eventually lead to lower blood glucose and lower blood insulin levels... Which are the ideal conditions to enter ketosis. And this may allow you to enter ketosis quicker.

Issue is, if the above were true, does that mean we could also use other non carbohydrate insulin spiking agents to enter ketosis more speedily and easily? If so, why not use sucralose?