Registered User sherif_kanawati's Avatar
    sherif_kanawati has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Growing the Lower Middle Chest

My lower chest towards the middle is too far apart and forms a shape like a triangle, basically the lower middle corners are too far from each other and I would like to grow that part so that my chest looks bigger and fuller. In the middle my chest is not far apart like how it is at its lowest point in the middle.

It is even rather boney.

what exercise would you recommend to target that part of the chest?

Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by sherif_kanawati View Post
    My lower chest towards the middle is too far apart and forms a shape like a triangle, basically the lower middle corners are too far from each other and I would like to grow that part so that my chest looks bigger and fuller. In the middle my chest is not far apart like how it is at its lowest point in the middle.

It is even rather boney.

There are two views:

(1) there is no middle chest, just upper/lower. You have to make the entire chest bigger to make the middle chest bigger; or

(2) you can target the middle chest (close grip bench; cable or DB flys or DB pressing motion focusing on inner contraction)

I have heard both views. I want my upper middle chest bigger, so I'm seeing whether view 2 is correct ATM

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes, close grip bench it up. Tricep exercises ftw!!

I'd say focus on working your lower chest (flat bench, decline bench, gironda dips). Chances are, your genes don't want those corners to touch as easy as some other people. So now you need to work extra hard and blow it up, so they have no choice but to smoosh into each other.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500) nathanbailey is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    So now you need to work extra hard and blow it up, so they have no choice but to smoosh into each other.
    i lol'd :P

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Decline flyes
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10) laalz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah try decline flys. That should fix the area up.

Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Oh and... there is no middle chest. Just like some girls have separated boobs, others have belly-boobs, and others have pushed up boobs... genetics defines mens.

d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think I understand you.

if your chest is not connected at the bottom (like the pic below) that it just genetics. You cant grow new muscle there

commonly associated with the above is pectoralis excavatum which is a "dent" in the chest, it kind of caves in
    Last edited by d16daily; 12-01-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    "A big guy don't need floor poses... that's only for midgets."

-Lee Haney

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^

It is genetics. You can thicken the muscle that is there by doing decline flies, but i think working to close that gap is unrealistic. Dont sweat it though, try to thicken your upper abs and lower chest and it will look great. That triangle is good for bringing out a nice lean look.

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by Big Arm Big Pay View Post
    Decline flyes
    I think the decline flies is a winner, sounds like what should fix it and I agree with lots of you who said it is genetics. the way it looks all there is under the center chest towards the middle above my abs is just bones although my chest is quite big.

thanks again

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think the decline flies is a winner, sounds like what should fix it and I agree with lots of you who said it is genetics. the way it looks all there is under the center chest towards the middle above my abs is just bones although my chest is quite big.

thanks again
    It is a "winner" if you believe that you can build separate sections of one singular muscle.

Though, the realistic answer is that there is no true way to achieve hypertrophy of any significance in different area's of the same muscle.

Decline, Incline, Flat - they all place differential stress on the muscle - this will assist in preventing staleness / plateau'ing - it will assist with developing the neuromuscular signalling - it will assist in producing strength in that particular plane of motion. However, it will not produce any true additional growth in the "targeted" chest area moreover the rest of the chest. The difference over the short-to-medium term is negligible.

It's still wise to perform variations of the chest press. Variety is always a good inclusion to any exercise program. Just don't add it with this false belief that you'll solely build a specific area of your chest. It won't happen. It is not designed in the same manner as the deltoid (for example); which has an anterior/middle/posterior section.

Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Nicolas_Hart View Post
    It is a "winner" if you believe that you can build separate sections of one singular muscle.

Though, the realistic answer is that there is no true way to achieve hypertrophy of any significance in different area's of the same muscle.

Decline, Incline, Flat - they all place differential stress on the muscle - this will assist in preventing staleness / plateau'ing - it will assist with developing the neuromuscular signalling - it will assist in producing strength in that particular plane of motion. However, it will not produce any true additional growth in the "targeted" chest area moreover the rest of the chest. The difference over the short-to-medium term is negligible.

It's still wise to perform variations of the chest press. Variety is always a good inclusion to any exercise program. Just don't add it with this false belief that you'll solely build a specific area of your chest. It won't happen. It is not designed in the same manner as the deltoid (for example); which has an anterior/middle/posterior section.
    Good post. Reps on recharge.

In b4 those who so desperately want to believe otherwise.

Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Phil2008 View Post
    Good post. Reps on recharge.

In b4 those who so desperately want to believe otherwise.
    I want to believe one can hit the area the OP is asking bout but i don't know.

However I do know that one can EMPHASIZE and place more tension on the upper pec. All i ever did before were flat bench and when i finally decided to ditch flat bench for incline benching/cable flyes on different angles, my upper pec started to grow.

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The bigger they get, the closer together they get...
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Pullup17 View Post
    I want to believe one can hit the area the OP is asking bout but i don't know.

However I do know that one can EMPHASIZE and place more tension on the upper pec. All i ever did before were flat bench and when i finally decided to ditch flat bench for incline benching/cable flyes on different angles, my upper pec started to grow.
    I'm more with this group. I do not take up on the idea that you can work inner or outer, since it is muscle fibers that run horizontally. I am under the thinking that if you activate a muscle fiber, it is activated over it's entire length, not just on one part of it or another.

However since the pecs, are made up of horizontally running fibers, arranged top to bottom, I feel you can activate individual fibers. So flat and decline bench hit the middle to lower ones, while incline hits the upper ones. i'm not saying they completely neglect the other parts, but their primary area of emphasis is that.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    I'm more with this group. I do not take up on the idea that you can work inner or outer, since it is muscle fibers that run horizontally. I am under the thinking that if you activate a muscle fiber, it is activated over it's entire length, not just on one part of it or another.

However since the pecs, are made up of horizontally running fibers, arranged top to bottom, I feel you can activate individual fibers. So flat and decline bench hit the middle to lower ones, while incline hits the upper ones. i'm not saying they completely neglect the other parts, but their primary area of emphasis is that.
    Muscle fibres are activated to contract through motor units, which are recruited based on the load (stimulus) being provided.

Motor units actually control multiple fibres, all of which are not parallel to eachother across the entire muscle - meaning that the convergent arrangement of the muscle fibres (in the Pectoralis Major) are activated at various levels. While the 'all or none' principle applies to "wholly contracting, or not contracting at all" - it only applies to the active motor unit(s). Therefore, if the load is not strong enough to activate ALL motor units controlling a specific muscle (such as the case of differential stress applied via various inclinations), then some fibres will receive greater activation than others.

This is, however, such a minor consideration. It has minimal impact on the development and growth of the overall muscle as a whole, and clearly underlies the notion that you cannot ideally "target" any segment of the Pectoralis Major.

d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if i understand correctly, you guys are claiming that you cannot target outer/inner upper/lower chest??

and if so, does this also mean that incline/decline chest exercises are completely useless by this theory??

I apologize if I misread the above. just curious

and to sherif: You have a nice chest already but I don't know if you understand that it really is genetic you can't grow "new" muscle. or else we would all have a chest like arnold...

so don't sweat the little gap, you look fine

Last edited by d16daily; 12-03-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    "A big guy don't need floor poses... that's only for midgets."

-Lee Haney

Originally Posted by d16daily View Post
    if i understand correctly, you guys are claiming that you cannot target outer/inner upper/lower chest??

and if so, does this also mean that incline/decline chest exercises are completely useless by this theory??

and to sherif: You have a nice chest already but I don't know if you understand that it really is genetic you can't grow "new" muscle. or else we would all have a chest like arnold...

I claim that you can't work inner to outer. Which has been debated to no end on this board. Just do a search and you can see both sides.

What Nicolas is saying is the first time I've heard you can't work upper to lower. I don't think anyone has ever contested that fact.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why don't you post your current chest routine?

Originally Posted by d16daily View Post

haha katz where did u fish that pic from?

as you can see in that pic my lower chest in the middle forms a stupid triangle, looks like the bermuda triangle or something :P

My current workout is 3 x incline DB press, 3 x flat DB press and 3x cables flies from bottom to top. i do this twice a week and change my routine every 2 months.

TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000)
    Man, nothing wrong with the triangle in the lower chest at all. One of the all time greats had these genetics...

Here's him a little younger

And the glory years

The triangle rocks bud...and from your above pic, your lower chest is not lacking. Actually i'd hit the upper more

Beef it up and wear that **** proud
    Last edited by TrainOfThought; 12-04-2008 at 12:26 AM.

i guess i suffer from body dysmorphia then

TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000)
    i guess i suffer from body dysmorphia then
    We all have parts of the body we dont like. Just gotta learn to like them and do the best we can to develope them....

But honestly, i'd love to have the triangle.

mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

It is even rather boney.

genetics maybe.