fanboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fanboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fanboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fanboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats hurting knees

Hi,

I have had my squat form checked by a trainer (he was a Rippetoe fan so I'm sure he taught me correctly.) However when he was teaching me I was doing it with just the bar..I have now progressed to squatting with 80kg and I find my knees hurt, mostly when I am recovering. They feel bruised and ache on top of the kneecap and the side. If I take a week off squatting the ache goes away.

I am squatting to parallel, I am using a wide stance and my feet are pointing outwards. My knees also do not go beyond my toes and they do track outwards.

I realise its hard to judge without a video of me squatting but I think I'd get beaten up if I started filming in my gym..so anyone with experience of common squat problems please let me know.

Thanks all,

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You need to squat below parallel. Otherwise, you're not developing your hamstrings (and if you're doing the low-bar, "Rippetoe" squats, you should be), which help to balance the forces that the quad exert on the knee.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mgeer50291 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mr.Runner View Post
    You need to squat below parallel. Otherwise, you're not developing your hamstrings (and if you're doing the low-bar, "Rippetoe" squats, you should be), which help to balance the forces that the quad exert on the knee.
    going along with what he had said, when you squat below parallel you are going to be shifting the stress from your knees down to your butt (i recomend using a board under your heels). deep squats are considered better for your then parallel that is why you see powerlifters going down all the way. these are guys who are lifting with heavy weight and are doing it 3x a week.
    Last edited by mgeer50291; 01-10-2009 at 01:52 PM.
    The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First off, you should be squating below parallel & it is OK for your knees to travel past your toes.

2nd: If your knees hurt then your form is wrong. The squat is very technical and there are many small mistakes that are very hard to detect(even with a trained eye).

A couple of possible problems could include: A) You are leading your squat with your knees ( Hips should start the movement). B) Your VMO is too weak and you are collapsing inward at the knees.

Like you said without a video or seeing you live it is very hard to help you.

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    First off, you should be squating below parallel & it is OK for your knees to travel past your toes.

2nd: If your knees hurt then your form is wrong. The squat is very technical and there are many small mistakes that are very hard to detect(even with a trained eye).

A couple of possible problems could include: A) You are leading your squat with your knees ( Hips should start the movement). B) Your VMO is too weak and you are collapsing inward at the knees.

to add you could also be pushing through the center or front of your foot more often than not instead of always keeping the weight on the heals. probably the number one reason for knee pain and very hard to spot from a coach although just having someone lift the toes a little while squatting can fix it.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey

strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fanboy View Post
    Hi,

I have had my squat form checked by a trainer (he was a Rippetoe fan so I'm sure he taught me correctly.) However when he was teaching me I was doing it with just the bar..I have now progressed to squatting with 80kg and I find my knees hurt, mostly when I am recovering. They feel bruised and ache on top of the kneecap and the side. If I take a week off squatting the ache goes away.

I am squatting to parallel, I am using a wide stance and my feet are pointing outwards. My knees also do not go beyond my toes and they do track outwards.

I realise its hard to judge without a video of me squatting but I think I'd get beaten up if I started filming in my gym..so anyone with experience of common squat problems please let me know.

Thanks all,
    Bro, I am in the same boat. I have already had surgery on my right knee for this. The pain and discomfort is the exact same i have. Don't listen to these 17 year old idiots that tell you that you have to squat BELOW parallel. Tell that to any orthapedic dr, and he's going to tell you your crazy. Listen it sucks but i simply can not squat heavy anymore, it's not worth risking further damage. Hack squats leg press are all fine, as well as lunges. I can still do 20 rep front squats on the smith machine. Try those out. There are a lot of guys that can't squat and still have trunks for legs.
    The Truth on test boosters

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122287831

Cutting like Diamonds OmniscientCause's Avatar
    OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ive never had problems with my knees.......its been my left ankle recently.....its annoying because im trying to progress in weight and i dont do it because i dont want my ankle to hurt more then it does....its like next to my achillies and the bone

strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) strength777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mgeer50291 View Post
    going along with what he had said, when you squat below parallel you are going to be shifting the stress from your knees down to your butt (i recomend using a board under your heels). deep squats are considered better for your then parallel that is why you see powerlifters going down all the way. these are guys who are lifting with heavy weight and are doing it 3x a week.
    You have also take genetics into consideration. Some just can not handle the amount of stress that this puts on the knees. Also don't forget that training naturally vs. AAS training also makes a difference
    The Truth on test boosters

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122287831

khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by strength_77 View Post
    Don't listen to these 17 year old idiots that tell you that you have to squat BELOW parallel.
    i agree. since nobody that is 17 could possibly give good advice...neither can a 41 year old like labrada...nor an extremely helpful/knowledgeable poster like swearengen...

[removed]
    Last edited by khajja; 12-01-2008 at 08:31 AM.

sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by labradarep View Post

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    to add you could also be pushing through the center or front of your foot more often than not instead of always keeping the weight on the heals. probably the number one reason for knee pain and very hard to spot from a coach although just having someone lift the toes a little while squatting can fix it.
    Originally Posted by mgeer50291 View Post
    All of these...

The only reason to not go below parallel is if you have hip flexor issues...which unfortunately I do. Focus on not pushing with your toes, I know you said your toes were pointed out...but possibly they aren't pointed far enough?
    Misc Scotch Crew.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=591771253&posted=1#post591771253
    ITT We drink like men

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wink

Originally Posted by strength_77 View Post
    Bro, I am in the same boat. I have already had surgery on my right knee for this. The pain and discomfort is the exact same i have. Don't listen to these 17 year old idiots that tell you that you have to squat BELOW parallel. Tell that to any orthapedic dr, and he's going to tell you your crazy. Listen it sucks but i simply can not squat heavy anymore, it's not worth risking further damage. Hack squats leg press are all fine, as well as lunges. I can still do 20 rep front squats on the smith machine. Try those out. There are a lot of guys that can't squat and still have trunks for legs.
    No one is saying he HAS TOO squat below parallel. If you have a previous injury or "chronic" bad knees ten you should never do anything that is going to aggravate them or make them worse. What we are saying is that you can & should squat below parallel if you have no injuries or chronic pain.

Also, (at least I did not mention this) IMO you should not be performing Low rep-High Intensity squats very often unless you are very advanced & have great form.

You are correct in suggesting that there are other avenues to pursue with regards to leg development. 20 rep squats are probably one of the most gruelling & "Bad Ass" workouts on the Planet.

Here are some more specific reasons for "knee" pain when squating:

Types of Squat Dysfunctions:
    1)Foot driving up the chain(AKA: Unstable Squat)
    ? Excessive subtalar pronation(foot rolls inwards)?Tibial & Femoral Internal Rotation = Patellofemoral Pain.

2)Hip driving down the chain(AKA: Unstable Squat)
    ? Poor Femoral control ? leads to Femoral & Tibial Internal Rotation--- Patellofemoral pain

3)Knee Driving into the Anterior Chain: (AKA I don`t know what my hips are supposed to do squat)
    ? Early Dominant Knee Flexion?Poor Hip Flexion ? Excessive load through the knee

? NOTE: Squatting should only be as low as Client can maintain Neutral Spine position.

Notes from Perform Better Seminar by Craig Friedman of Athletes Performance

manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manutius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would look at stretching too, if the quads are very tight you may be pulling on the patella tendon perhaps. Try taking your shoes off too to give you better feedback from your feet and the floor, most modern training shoes will absorb the movement of your ankles and not give you a stable base. try shoes off next time
    I'm battling my inner ectomorph

superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman11978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Squatting below parallel is ideal but many people CAN'T go below parallel without rounding their backs. Keeping your back straight is much more important than going deep.

If the pain is persistent and you're sure your form is good, you might want to think about doing leg presses instead and building up the strength in your legs, then trying squats again in a month.

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    #1. Check to make sure your weight is on your heels during the entire movement

#2. Make sure you're sticking your but out before you squat down. Most people tend to make their first move bending their knees and droppint straight down, but in reality all this does is put you in an awkward position that is not good for your knee joint.

As long as you follow this your form should be fine.

Some people just can't do squats with heavy weight, their joints just aren't made for it. Try skipping back squats for a while, and move to front squats and hack squats, or just keep the weight light and see if it helps at all.

Whatever you do, don't push through the pain or you'll probably end up like me (2 partially torn patellar tendons that haven't healed in 2 years...).
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

zhaira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a Tips on How to Do Squats Without Hurting Your Knees and Low Back
    Squats are one of the most functional exercises you can train your body to perform. Think of how many times our bodies execute this movement during the day: Getting into a car, sitting down at a desk, using the restroom, picking something up from the floor.

Start with a ball squat against the wall. Using a physioball behind your back is like having a built-in safety net and a spotter at the same time. Place a ball (any size will do) behind you at waist level. Walk your feet forward about 6 to 10 inches in front of your hips. Lean back into the ball and slowly lower down to a comfortable depth.
    http://weightloss-research.biz/

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by zhaira View Post
    This is a Tips on How to Do Squats Without Hurting Your Knees and Low Back
    Squats are one of the most functional exercises you can train your body to perform. Think of how many times our bodies execute this movement during the day: Getting into a car, sitting down at a desk, using the restroom, picking something up from the floor.

Start with a ball squat against the wall. Using a physioball behind your back is like having a built-in safety net and a spotter at the same time. Place a ball (any size will do) behind you at waist level. Walk your feet forward about 6 to 10 inches in front of your hips. Lean back into the ball and slowly lower down to a comfortable depth.

---if you're 40 and have never done squats before
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sem213 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi,
    They feel bruised and ache on top of the kneecap and the side. If I take a week off squatting the ache goes away.
    Assuming your form is ok, then this is mostly like caused by tension in your quadriceps because of the workout.
    I had the same thing. Stretching after doing squats solves it completely (that is when it indeed is muscle tension).

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi,

Thanks all,
    First of all, never assume that your form must be 'correct' just because someone taught you, who is a "fan" of a capable lifter. That doesn't mean a thing, and doesn't remotely translate to applicable technical knowledge.

In addition - the bruising feeling, and tenderness sounds very much like meniscus damage. The meniscus can bruise, become tender, and therefore fail to absorb 'shock' effectively. You will need to have this assessed properly, though with or without assessment; knee compression bandages and rest are two measures I'd take immediately.