Thread: How often...

take this! HAAAAATERS! johno_66's Avatar
    johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile How often...

Alright guys, havnt been on this site for months but im in need of some advise.

Basically i used to overtrain LOADS as i didnt know what i was doing, i found out on here to train a muscle about 2 times a week.

I just read somewhere else from a guy who is quite big that i should only train each muscle once a week.

Can anyone clarify weather 2 times a week is overtraining or fine?

For example i Do: Monday: Full body
    Thursday: Full body

Thanks people!

MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It would really be up to how much you work that particular muscle each day.

For me, I do a 3 day split routine, doing 1-2 body parts per day. If you work them hard enough, once a week should be fine.

As for your question, twice a week is fine yes.

On the way to 200+ pounds KevinSorbo's Avatar
    KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    twice a week is fine as long as youve fully recovered, otherwise once a week is still good.

johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johno_66 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MEEECROB View Post
    It would really be up to how much you work that particular muscle each day.

For me, I do a 3 day split routine, doing 1-2 body parts per day. If you work them hard enough, once a week should be fine.

As for your question, twice a week is fine yes.
    Thanks alot. Another problem i seen to have is the next day when im all aching, i feel it in my arms, abs, back, forarm, shoulders and but only feel it on the outside of my chest like near my underarm. Are there any exercises which hit the lower chest and inner chest.

Preferably exercises i can do at home as my gym is under 2 month maintenance, i have dumbells and a rowing elastic which is quite good. So im thinking along the lines of pressups with a differnt hand stance if you know what i mean.

MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEEECROB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For more emphasis on the 'lower' chest, try Decline Bench Presses (but I feel they get worked a lot during normal bench presses, so I don't really do decline).

With the 'inner' chest, just keep working on your chest and it should eventually fill out. Try dumbell flyes, both incline and flat (or even decline).

General rule is incline for more emphasis on Upper chest, and decline for Lower chest.

alkalinekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're doing full-body workouts I'm assuming you're not doing the 'recommended' number of sets as if you were working out separate muscle groups on separate days (otherwise ud be doing about 80 sets per workout).
    Are you just doing about 2-3 exericses for each muscle-group? If so doing your workout 2x a week should be a lot more beneficial then just once.
    GET BIG

davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davielawson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by alkalinekid View Post
    If you're doing full-body workouts I'm assuming you're not doing the 'recommended' number of sets as if you were working out separate muscle groups on separate days (otherwise ud be doing about 80 sets per workout).
    Are you just doing about 2-3 exericses for each muscle-group? If so doing your workout 2x a week should be a lot more beneficial then just once.
    As said above, you are either not hitting your muscles enough or you are spending hours in the gym.. Either way, you shoud change it!

A workout should last no longer than an hour, and the fact that ur suffering from DOMS (soreness) after everyworkout means that your muscles are not adapting to the training properly.. Its normal to be sore after the first time you train in a particular way(dependent on age)..

I would strongly recommend a 3 day split where you do upper body (arms and shoulder) then lower (legs and abs) and then a days rest and then upperbody again (chest and back) and another days rest...
    This is possibly the most popular method of training and deffo works!!
    lawsonator

Originally Posted by davielawson View Post
    As said above, you are either not hitting your muscles enough or you are spending hours in the gym.. Either way, you shoud change it!

A workout should last no longer than an hour, and the fact that ur suffering from DOMS (soreness) after everyworkout means that your muscles are not adapting to the training properly.. Its normal to be sore after the first time you train in a particular way(dependent on age)..

I would strongly recommend a 3 day split where you do upper body (arms and shoulder) then lower (legs and abs) and then a days rest and then upperbody again (chest and back) and another days rest...
    This is possibly the most popular method of training and deffo works!!
    Thats odd, before i was told i wasnt working hard enough if i wasnt feeling sore the next day. I think i will make a 3 day split like you say. Thanks!

jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    working a muscle twice a week is fine, so is working a muscle once a week. the deciding factor is how much volume you are using to hit that muscle.

if you are doing 70sets to hit one muscle twice a week, IMO thats too much.

if you want to hit a muscle twice a week simply lower the volume in each session. make adjustments til you get it right.

Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Chest is chest, the end.

Its all the same stuff, its all stimulated, it will all grow.

Your a good candidate for BIll starr 5x5 (look it up)