Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ken Waller...whatever happened to him?

Anyone who saw Pumping Iron will remember Ken Waller, from the 70s era of bodybuilding, winner of Mr. Universe, and "thief" of Mike Katz's t-shirt. He had excellent proportion and definition, though he was not as massive as Arnold, Franco, or Lou. He had some very memorable quotes from that movie.

What ever happened to this guy? Most of the guys in Pumping Iron maintain some kind of presence in the bodybuilding world to this day. But Waller is completely off the radar. There's virtually no information online about his life after the Pumping Iron time.

Does anyone know?

diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) diehardfanofbb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    pics?

ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ESPforMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If I remember correctly he has a clothing printing business.

You went full retard, man Crusher_'s Avatar
    Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah in the 20th aniversery eddition of Pumping Iron they show what everyone did after the movie. I think he became a sales rep for world gym clothing or something. I just remember them saying now he can get his hands on all the T shirts he wants.. lol

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm trying to be like wlf vik

akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy the 25th Anniversary Edition of Pumping Iron.
    A pattern in the chaos.

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This may be what happened to him.

akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

Eating Dumbbells Post-WO IronMogul's Avatar
    IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by imasavage View Post
    I'm trying to be like wlf vik

I don't see Waller in the third picture, lol. Is he invisible?
    "Success comes from good judgment, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"Bodybuilding is part of my life, but it is not my life nor does it define me. Within a small sect of like-minded persons, I am probably perceived as a bodybuilder; in another sect, as a boyfriend, or brother, or friend or co-worker, etc." - DJINN

espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10) espoleta is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IronMogul View Post
    He may be the whitest bodybuilder since Sandow but he's not THAT white.

Seriously though, on that subject, unlike all the other guys Waller didn't even TRY to darken his skin at all - at least that's how it looks in the movie. I guess with his complexion, it just would have looked odd. I think he looked fine without it.

I uploaded some pictures of Waller which I captured from Pumping Iron:

Here is one of him with the video camera. He was filming the other guys at random moments throughout the Olympia contest. I am not sure why. But I was not aware that they made such small video cameras at the time that this film came out (1977.) I thought the only video cameras available to people at that time were huge ones that recorded directly onto video cassettes? What is the deal here?

wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    CAUTION: This user may use sarcasm and cynicism in a way you are not accustomed to.
    ► WKEA ◄
    *TEAM KAI*
    *TEAM WOLF*

wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000) wlf.vik83 is just really nice. (+1000)

CAUTION: This user may use sarcasm and cynicism in a way you are not accustomed to.
    ► WKEA ◄
    *TEAM KAI*
    *TEAM WOLF*

► WKEA ◄
    *TEAM KAI*
    *TEAM WOLF*

► WKEA ◄
    *TEAM KAI*
    *TEAM WOLF*

Wow...thanks for all the pics!!!

Waller, Ed Corney and Serge Nubret are actually my favorite guys from Pumping Iron. They were the underrated, underdog guys who didn't have the sheer mass of Schwarzenegger and Ferrigno but still had amazing proportions and definition!

In terms of proportion, Waller DESTROYED Mike Katz! He was right about his chest being too big for his arms, and his thighs too big for his calves. Katz had a great chest, and excellent deltoids and triceps, but his waist was somewhat wide and he lacked proportion compared to Waller. I still think Katz was impressive in terms of sheer mass. But man he had a weird haircut.

He seemed like such a nice guy though, and very down to earth.

Ed Corney also had a tremendous physique and his posing style was really dramatic. He was definitely the best at posing out of any of the guys. He was very theatrical and stylish with his poses.

I was amazed when I saw Ken in the scene where he talked about Mike Katz's proportions. He was playing catch with a few guys and was fully covered up.
    Damn! he looked awesome!!
    ► WKEA ◄
    *TEAM KAI*
    *TEAM WOLF*

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kenny had one of the original tremendously balanced physiques........talk about great lines, and he knew how to pose to show them off....

he was like a Zane with more size.....

those were good old days, I have to say....the magazines were a hoot back then....I still have a bunch of them....how Ken Waller TERRORIZED his thighs, or BLASTED his bi's......lol......it was a masterpiece of early hype that got bodybuilding on the map.

Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000)
    He quit bodybuilding to focus on raising his kid...he's a manager at the company that sells golds gym merchandise...**** was in the extras of pumping iron.

No crew crew.

Natural Lifter and BB Fan Natty_Ice's Avatar
    Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thats Boyer Coe, not Waller.

Natural Lifter and BB Fan Natty_Ice's Avatar
    Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natty_Ice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by wlf.vik83 View Post
    I was amazed when I saw Ken in the scene where he talked about Mike Katz's proportions. He was playing catch with a few guys and was fully covered up.
    Damn! he looked awesome!!
    That was actually filmed a few months after they filmed the rest of the film. After editing the movie, they decided to add some drama and make Ken and his buddies out to be the villains. So, they went back out to California and filmed that whole scene where they tossed around the football talking about stealing Katz's shirt. Then they put it in the movie before the South Africa trip to make it look like the t-shirt thing was all planned, when in reality they didnt hide his shirt at all, they had just moved it from one area of the dressing room to another so it wouldnt get oil on it.

feelin like im lookin ;) MrMetabolism's Avatar
    MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMetabolism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    gingervitis

d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    man, everyones worked out barefoot back then
    "A big guy don't need floor poses... that's only for midgets."

-Lee Haney

You went full retard, man Crusher_'s Avatar
    Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crusher_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by elykdogg View Post
    gingervitis

LOL!!!

◄█▄ Whey to The Hey ▄█► Whey Hey's Avatar
    Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fk, how much is he squatting in that pic with arnold watching him etc

bjc9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bjc9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bjc9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bjc9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bjc9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bjc9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bjc9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Natty_Ice View Post
    That was actually filmed a few months after they filmed the rest of the film. After editing the movie, they decided to add some drama and make Ken and his buddies out to be the villains. So, they went back out to California and filmed that whole scene where they tossed around the football talking about stealing Katz's shirt. Then they put it in the movie before the South Africa trip to make it look like the t-shirt thing was all planned, when in reality they didnt hide his shirt at all, they had just moved it from one area of the dressing room to another so it wouldnt get oil on it.
    Yeah we all know Pumping Iron was a mixture of acting and documentary... Ken Waller as a villian is an example of fiction; the t-shirt prank was staged. Apparently after Pumping Iron was released he got booed at shows when he went on stage because everyone had sympathised with Mike Katz and didn't realise half the movie was scripted.

Eating Dumbbells Post-WO IronMogul's Avatar
    IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronMogul has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Natty_Ice View Post

Thats Boyer Coe, not Waller.
    I know that. Hence the sarcasm.
    "Success comes from good judgment, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"Bodybuilding is part of my life, but it is not my life nor does it define me. Within a small sect of like-minded persons, I am probably perceived as a bodybuilder; in another sect, as a boyfriend, or brother, or friend or co-worker, etc." - DJINN

gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000) gatsby121 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Kennys physique is one of my favorites in bodybuilding, Aesthetic as a mofo.
    ► WKEA ◄

In my opinion, Waller sort of had a build that was "classic" even for the era that he was part of, which is itself considered "classic" now. In some ways, his physique was reminiscent of Steve Reeves, and some even earlier bodybuilders like Eugene Sandow. He embodied the "Greek" ideal that was based on ancient statues and art.

Waller's competition physique was very "natural" looking, to the point where no one of his muscle groups overshadowed the other. He did not have the sheer SIZE of Arnold - his build was more like a scaled up version of the body of a very good athlete, or a Greek statue. His posing style was also very smooth and dramatic. (Not quite on the Ed Corney level, though. THAT guy could out-pose anyone.)

Originally Posted by espoleta View Post
    In my opinion, Waller sort of had a build that was "classic" even for the era that he was part of, which is itself considered "classic" now. In some ways, his physique was reminiscent of Steve Reeves, and some even earlier bodybuilders like Eugene Sandow. He embodied the "Greek" ideal that was based on ancient statues and art.

Waller's competition physique was very "natural" looking, to the point where no one of his muscle groups overshadowed the other. He did not have the sheer SIZE of Arnold - his build was more like a scaled up version of the body of a very good athlete, or a Greek statue. His posing style was also very smooth and dramatic. (Not quite on the Ed Corney level, though. THAT guy could out-pose anyone.)
    I absolutely agree with you there. I was very impressed with his physique in "Pumping Iron".

I have mentioned the football scene earlier.. His calves looked incredible even when he was wearing pants.
    Whenever he held a pose on stage... he looked liked a greek statue.

Hell.. He would have looked great in 300. Can anyone photochop him to look like a spartan?
    ► WKEA ◄
    *TEAM KAI*
    *TEAM WOLF*

► WKEA ◄
    *TEAM KAI*
    *TEAM WOLF*