vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulder pain from bench press

I have been trying to lean out with a decent amount of success (253 in April to 217). I have been increasingly concerned with making sure I do not lose muscle so I tried increasing my weight on certain major exercises. In three weeks I went from a last set on flat bench of 225 to 285 (which is about where I used to be. After the second week of this heavier lifting I have been experiencing pain in both shoulders during the exercise but residual lasting pain in the top of my right shoulder. At least for the time being I am only doing light weight on hammer strength machines. Any help or advice or explanation would be much appreciated.
    Getting mean and lean!

dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Been There

There's a lot of entries along this line. Mostly under ACR or DC entries. What the normal cause is an inflamed Biceps Tendon. This is located at the front of the shoulder. Heavy lifting often inflames it. Suggest you back off on the weight and get a good ice pack to control it. If it gets worse, you could be looking at either therapy or surgery. I did the same thing and got into trouble. Being older, I have a tendency to develop bone spurs, which is what I did. I ended up having surgery. Not a lot of fun. One of the reason you get problems is that the Supra and Infra Spinatus (spelling?) are underdeveloped. These are a pair of muscles that go from the scapula to the back of the Acromion. We often don't develop these because we can't see them. Out of sight, out of mind. These muscles help to stabilize the shoulder during a push or press motion. Getting these in shape prevents the shoulder from floating and putting pressure on the tendons.

kEEP IN MIND THAT ONCE THE TENDON IS INFLAMED, IT WILL FLARE VERY EASILY UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY HEALED. Need to make that one clear. The tendon slides through a slot in the shoulder joint. If it's inflamed, it grinds on the edges of the bone and gets aggravated, again. Continued aggravation will get you into the Operating Room. Let it heal. Use an Ice Pack and get some Naproxene Sodium (Aleve). I would suggest that you stick to higher reps with dumbbells for a bit and work on the Spinatus muscles.

OK, I'm done and I'll put away the Soap Box. ;-)

vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) vinnybear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you very much for the insight from experience - it is much appreciated.
    I have been taking it easy on the shoulder, but maybe I just need to lay off to make sure it heals. I am 29, and definitely do not want to start in with surgery and other grief at this point. For the most part I had ceased from really heavy lifting, just trying to do what complements the rest of my lifestyle - husband, father of three, provider, etc. - but every once in a while that ego start in again.

You said to stick to higher reps and dumbells - check, I can do that. You also said AND work those supporting muscles - are there other exercises you would recommend for this?

Thanks again.
    Getting mean and lean!

Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have the same problem on my left shoulder.

So dbrunner00...you suggest to go light on EVERY exercise? How long do you think it would take to heal something like this?

I've had this pain for a few weeks now and last night it was bad to the point where I had trouble finding a good position in my bed without having any pain.

Wow sorry to hear that your pain is so bad.
    I do not nearly have as much pain to where I have trouble finding a comfortable position to sleep. My pain is dull but consistent - I plan to lay off everything but some light movements for two to three weeks.
    Getting mean and lean!