alivenwell1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I want to get into shape

Hey everyone!
    I am 18 yrs old i work out on and off and played basketball year round for 4 years. I ate whatever I want whenever I wanted to. I weigh 170lbs am 6ft tall and my ideal weight is 200lbs. So basically what I am saying is I have no idea where to start my venture of getting in shape, by shape I mean chizzled body and a six pack. Thanks!!

SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatDeadPress is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There are some key excercises that should be the staple to your routine as they well give you the best all around growth (people can debate this all they want but I dont' really care).

Squats
    Deadlift
    Presses (like bench)
    Pullups
    Dips

Those should be your big 5.

Here's an example of my schedule. I only do 2 sets for each exercise because I go really heavy but you don't have to follow my routine or the amounts of sets I do. But keep the reps low of you want to gain mass. Don't forget to warm up before your first exercise sets with 1/2 the weight of your working set. After your first excercise your body should be warmed up. 5 minutes on the bike and moderate intensity is also good get the blood flowing before you start working out.

Leg Day
    Squats ATG (ass to the grass. go all the way down) 2x8
    Leg Extensions 2x8
    Hamstring Curls 2x8
    Calfs 2x8

Chest Bicep Day
    Incline DB press 2x8
    Flat DB press 2x8
    DB flies 2x8
    Barbell Bicep curl 2x8
    Hammer Curl variation 2x8

Back Tricep
    Deadlift 2x8
    Pullups 2x8
    Dips 2x8
    Bent Over DB row 2x8
    Close grip bench press 2x8

Shoulder Traps
    DB shoulder press 2x8
    Upright row 2x8
    Bent over cable raises for shoulder 2x8
    Shrugs DB or Barbell 2x8

Do abs like once or twice a week. Don't overdo them as they get worked out doing deadlift and squats. I like doing heavy cable crunches.

Eat a lot and eat right. Eat things like oats, cottage cheese, tuna, turket breast, veggies etc. If you're hungry you are not eating enough.

After you've bulked up to your ideal weight ( for you over 200 pounds). Then cut down so you can be 200 clean without excess fat (basically ripped). Do this by doing HIT Cardio (high interval training). It basically involves doing sprints as fast as you can for 30 seconds followed by walking for 90 seconds. Do this for like 20-30 minutes and you'll be exhausted. When you're doing you're HITT cardio to cut down it's imporantant to continue to lift heavy to maintain your muscle mass.

Oh and for supplements. They're not really necessary but if you want an edge get.

A good multi vitamin (not nessary with balanced diet)
    Whey Protein (not necessary you can eat whole foods but it's just easier)
    Creatine Monohydrate (one of the only supplements other than steroids that's proven to work. Not bad for your body. Only need like 3g a day. Take it an hour before you go workout. And also on off days. You can actually get enough creatine from whole foods but it would be insanely hard)
    Omega 3 supplement (not nessarry if you eat a lot of fish)

Really no supplement is necessary but if you want that edge it can't hurt.
    Last edited by SquatDeadPress; 11-24-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: forgot something.

outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) outbreak69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do a search for Rippetoes "Starting Strength." I don't have much experience with it because I just started it yesterday. But everywhere I looked, everybody was saying that's the way to start!

I can barely walk today!

Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mista_mischif is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SquatDeadPress View Post
    There are some key excercises that should be the staple to your routine as they well give you the best all around growth (people can debate this all they want but I dont' really care).

Squats
    Deadlift
    Presses (like bench)
    Pullups
    Dips

Those should be your big 5.

Here's an example of my schedule. I only do 2 sets for each exercise because I go really heavy but you don't have to follow my routine or the amounts of sets I do. But keep the reps low of you want to gain mass. Don't forget to warm up before your first exercise sets with 1/2 the weight of your working set. After your first excercise your body should be warmed up. 5 minutes on the bike and moderate intensity is also good get the blood flowing before you start working out.

Leg Day
    Squats ATG (ass to the grass. go all the way down) 2x8
    Leg Extensions 2x8
    Hamstring Curls 2x8
    Calfs 2x8

Chest Bicep Day
    Incline DB press 2x8
    Flat DB press 2x8
    DB flies 2x8
    Barbell Bicep curl 2x8
    Hammer Curl variation 2x8

Back Tricep
    Deadlift 2x8
    Pullups 2x8
    Dips 2x8
    Bent Over DB row 2x8
    Close grip bench press 2x8

Shoulder Traps
    DB shoulder press 2x8
    Upright row 2x8
    Bent over cable raises for shoulder 2x8
    Shrugs DB or Barbell 2x8

Do abs like once or twice a week. Don't overdo them as they get worked out doing deadlift and squats. I like doing heavy cable crunches.

Eat a lot and eat right. Eat things like oats, cottage cheese, tuna, turket breast, veggies etc. If you're hungry you are not eating enough.

After you've bulked up to your ideal weight ( for you over 200 pounds). Then cut down so you can be 200 clean without excess fat (basically ripped). Do this by doing HIT Cardio (high interval training). It basically involves doing sprints as fast as you can for 30 seconds followed by walking for 90 seconds. Do this for like 20-30 minutes and you'll be exhausted. When you're doing you're HITT cardio to cut down it's imporantant to continue to lift heavy to maintain your muscle mass.

Oh and for supplements. They're not really necessary but if you want an edge get.

A good multi vitamin (not nessary with balanced diet)
    Whey Protein (not necessary you can eat whole foods but it's just easier)
    Creatine Monohydrate (one of the only supplements other than steroids that's proven to work. Not bad for your body. Only need like 3g a day. Take it an hour before you go workout. And also on off days. You can actually get enough creatine from whole foods but it would be insanely hard)
    Omega 3 supplement (not nessarry if you eat a lot of fish)

Really no supplement is necessary but if you want that edge it can't hurt.
    Dude do you lift really heavy weights? Not raggin on ya but maybe you could think about upping the amount of sets you do if you dont lift crazy weight.
    OP-
    The big 5 are very important lifts though, and if you want to add size and strength these are ESSENTIAL. Personally i would recommend a 4 day push/pull split program and work up to a 5 day push/pull split program when you become more advanced. Also in the exercise program posted in the quote, if you do decide to model yours on this (and it is a solid plan) then it would allow you to superset which is exercising 'opposing' muscles together for example doing bicep curls then tricep cable pulldown. Supersets are a really good way to get more mass and strength. Also when you become more advanced with HIIT then you can do something like sprint cycle for 30 seconds then moderate pace cycle for 60 seconds. When cutting its really important to have a high protein diet, moderate and very clean carbs (eg no chips candy deep fried foods) and a healthy amound of good fats.