sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Please help me argue back! Not doing cardio and weight training on the same day!

So I've joined this gym.There's a physical education proffessor as required. He was a bodybuilder, down to 2% fat once... I don't know if that's even possible but oh well.
    Among many things that we disagree on (BTW workout plan's great, at least from all I've learned from here) he now wants me to do cardio after weight training. I told him that I wouldn't do it because I need to keep my anabolic state in order to build muscle in an optimum way... but that's all I could say!!!!! I had nothing to back up the information with and I couldn't say I've read it on the internet because let's just say that it doesn't sound very trust-worthy. Can you help me with that? Is he right? Is it sooo bad to do cardio after weight lifting? Does it really ruin the weight-lifting training of the day?

Let's get real, I have 26% body fat and I really DO need cardio, but I told him I'd do it on the days that I wasn't weight training. And then he started saying that I need to do a little cardio every day to get better results and weigh myself each week to see if the plan worked and adjust it if I needed. I said that I do not use the scale because I'm gaining muscle and losing BF so the scale might stay the same but I might be leaner... and we went on and on discussing the issue. Of course I had something to say about everything he said and viceversa... but since I don't know that much I felt like I couldn't back up my statements.

Anything would help, a website, personal knowledge, anything... please?

Thanks for your time and help!

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you should be fine doing some cardio after your workout and if your worried you could have a shake after or during your workout so you wont have any issues.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey

sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10) sweet.sarah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks!!!
    I always have a protein shake after my workout (as soon as I get home, gym's two blocks away).

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    yeah it should be fine although you probably want to limit cardio on lifting days to light steady state cardio only and save any moderate cardio for off days but i would think 3 or 4 days of cardio a week would be plenty with the workouts also.

Marcus Garvey

FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FourtyEight48 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    help me to people

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Aerobic and Resistance Training Sequence
    Is There A Better Afterburn Sequence
    Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/concur3.html

The Role of Cortisol in Concurrent Training
    Rob Robergs, Ph.D. and Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/cortisol.html

Aerobics vs. Resistance Training
    Is This the Battle of the Fitness Titans?
    Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles...resistanc.html
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    i didn't know lenny kravitz had a PhD, thought he was strictly pop rock

Marcus Garvey

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Al Swearengen's advice is good, as are the links that jdmalm123 provided. If you're 26% BF (I don't think you are, but whatever) then doing a bit of cardio after your workout won't cause you to lose any muscle. The extra bit of cardio will help to speed the fat-burning process, although you shouldn't take it to extremes. Stick with the plan for now, and, yes, have that protein shake after your workout. Once your diet kicks in, you'll see changes and in a good way.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    i didn't know lenny kravitz had a PhD, thought he was strictly pop rock
    LOL.

I met this guy. Very smart and very motivated about exercise research. He works at a lab/university in AZ and does all kind of real-life experiments on athletes. He's often been ahead of the curve on exercise science.

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Al Swearengen's advice is good, as are the links that jdmalm123 provided. If you're 26% BF (I don't think you are, but whatever) then doing a bit of cardio after your workout won't cause you to lose any muscle. The extra bit of cardio will help to speed the fat-burning process, although you shouldn't take it to extremes. Stick with the plan for now, and, yes, have that protein shake after your workout. Once your diet kicks in, you'll see changes and in a good way.
    I agree, 10-20 minutes of short but intense intervals after weights is beneficial. Since the intervals include an anaerobic component, you're actually building your tolerance for what used to be referred to as "lactic acid build-up." (Technically, lactic acid is not what makes you fatigued, it's an overabundance of Hydrogen ions).

Increasing your post-resistance training blood flow as well as your anaerobic threshhold are both beneficial to muscle anabolism.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stop arguing with the guy, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. And you sound like someone that just doesn't want to do cardio.

Your results will be exponentially better if you cardio a bit after your workouts and a lot on days you don't workout.

lift hard, recover harder Iron Rain's Avatar
    Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tonymar View Post
    Stop arguing with the guy, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. And you sound like someone that just doesn't want to do cardio.

Your results will be exponentially better if you cardio a bit after your workouts and a lot on days you don't workout.
    This.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'll throw something out there, that you might consider. Try 10 minutes of cardio before you do weight training, and then 10 minutes afterwards. That breaks it up, and you still get 20 minutes of aerobics out of your workout. Also, you can treat those as your warmup and cooldown periods.

Another thing, you could try something like cycling for your warmup, and then treadmill for your cooldown. Just an idea!
    --- Nick ---

FINDING MY WAY BACK marcodeniro's Avatar
    marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Protein@ the gym

Take your protein after your workout and then do your cardio. I always do 10 min before my workout - workout - protein maybe some Halo or cellmass and then 30-60 of cardio. I dropped down from 245 to 210 in 4 months. I made impressive gains in this short journey in size and strength. I beleive I logged it.
    No Blood No Sweat No Tears No Pain
    NO GAINS

NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sweet.sarah View Post
    So I've joined this gym.There's a physical education proffessor as required. He was a bodybuilder, down to 2% fat once... I don't know if that's even possible but oh well.
    Among many things that we disagree on (BTW workout plan's great, at least from all I've learned from here) he now wants me to do cardio after weight training. I told him that I wouldn't do it because I need to keep my anabolic state in order to build muscle in an optimum way... but that's all I could say!!!!! I had nothing to back up the information with and I couldn't say I've read it on the internet because let's just say that it doesn't sound very trust-worthy. Can you help me with that? Is he right? Is it sooo bad to do cardio after weight lifting? Does it really ruin the weight-lifting training of the day?

Let's get real, I have 26% body fat and I really DO need cardio, but I told him I'd do it on the days that I wasn't weight training. And then he started saying that I need to do a little cardio every day to get better results and weigh myself each week to see if the plan worked and adjust it if I needed. I said that I do not use the scale because I'm gaining muscle and losing BF so the scale might stay the same but I might be leaner... and we went on and on discussing the issue. Of course I had something to say about everything he said and viceversa... but since I don't know that much I felt like I couldn't back up my statements.

Anything would help, a website, personal knowledge, anything... please?

Thanks for your time and help!
    in the search engine for videos on this site type in jenny lynn .. she is a figure girl.. does cardio after a workout
    Instagram @drsuperdose
    Online coaching & Contest prep
    www.thorntonfitness.com

booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) booyaolian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by marcodeniro View Post
    Take your protein after your workout and then do your cardio. I always do 10 min before my workout - workout - protein maybe some Halo or cellmass and then 30-60 of cardio. I dropped down from 245 to 210 in 4 months. I made impressive gains in this short journey in size and strength. I beleive I logged it.
    What about HIIT after workout and cardio on off day when cutting?

SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sarah, go with your instinct.

Weight lifting and building muscle properly will get you much further than catabolizing and acid bathing yourself with silly cardio. I see people doin cardio all the time, running on machines like rats on a wheel, and it never seems to get them anywhere.

trust the iron.

Originally Posted by tonymar View Post

Please, read well before posting. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/concur3.html

The Role of Cortisol in Concurrent Training
    Rob Robergs, Ph.D. and Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/cortisol.html

Aerobics vs. Resistance Training
    Is This the Battle of the Fitness Titans?
    Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles...resistanc.html
    Very interesting information!!! Thank you very much!

Seven_McNuggets has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally do 5 minutes of light cardio before every workout session and do high cardio (no weight training) one day per week

Originally Posted by SinewySam View Post
    Sarah, go with your instinct.

Weight lifting and building muscle properly will get you much further than catabolizing and acid bathing yourself with silly cardio. I see people doin cardio all the time, running on machines like rats on a wheel, and it never seems to get them anywhere.

trust the iron.

i didn't know people were bathing in acid for cardio, feel like i missed out.

Marcus Garvey

FINDING MY WAY BACK marcodeniro's Avatar
    marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) marcodeniro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by booyaolian View Post
    What about HIIT after workout and cardio on off day when cutting?
    Usually HIIT might be a lil to much after a workout for me. It depends on what u r trying to do.If u r cutting and dont mind burning a lil muscle Go 4 it. B careful
    No Blood No Sweat No Tears No Pain
    NO GAINS

jaybostein16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sarah, i think it really depends what your aiming for...
    if you're trying to gain muscle right now then i wouldnt worry too much about cardio until you're cutting, but i don't really know that much about the physics of women's bodybuilding, although if my gf's anything to go by, id imagine getting dead fat isnt on your to do list!
    if that is the case then yea a bit of cardio before and after (or, either or) as this will help you keep some of the fat off whilst you build.

cardio before a workout also gets the body warmed up and i myself find working out after a small cardio session, much easier and most of the time i can lift heavier weights, as the bloods already pumping.

you'll also be limiting the risk of cold start injuries too, which can be disasterous. so unless you wanna get really bulked (if you do then thats also cool :O) then cut in a bit, id stick to a mixture of weights and cardio as this will give you a good all round, balanced figure.

probably just stated the bare ass obvious but i hope some of it was helpful.
    good luck!

wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i know if you read around doin cardio after your work outs will burn more fat , and help you release more growth hormone.....look it up.