Thread: NASM Vs ACSM

On alcohol fueled hiatus seanpatrickb's Avatar
    seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

NASM Vs ACSM

I have looked over certificates and have narrowed it down to NASM and ACSM. I was just wondering what the biggest differences are between the two. It is hard to say without looking at the study material itself. The price and difficulty don't matter to me, I am just interested in hearing how they differ so I can make a more informed decision. What I like about NASM is the OPT program. It looks like a solid program for beginners who come in for their new years resolution, which is currently my weakness. I am just having a hard time finding a lot of information on the content of ACSM, so thanks for any help guys. And yes, I have searched.

Dont mess with the best Bodybuilder2049's Avatar
    Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodybuilder2049 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IDK about ACSM, but my experience with NASM was very good.

i bought the package where you get everything except the in class one, because they aren't presented around where i live. however if they were, i would have bought it and i know it would have def made it easier to learn, at least for me, im a visual learner.
    anyway, the online course is very informational and there are no problems loading the videos at all. the videos are of each chapter broken down into sections. the videos go along with the text book, but don't depend on the videos because there is more in-depth info in the book.

the text book is easy to read and key points are highlighted which make it easier for studying. the study guide is very usefull too, especially before your exam.

there are also mp3s that are the vocals of the videos online and on the dvd. i burned them onto a cd and listened to them in the car.

the opt model is pretty simple, and understandable and can be used in real life situations.

stabilization, strength and power.

most in active people will have to start off with stabilization to build that foundation, then progress to strength, and power is applicable.

all in all i would say nasm is a great pick for a cert, the info is all layed out easy, theres tons of sources for info( i think you can even call them if you have a question) the price isnt that bad, its also highly reputable.
    National Academy of Sports Medicine
    Certified Personal Trainer

PRESIDENT OF THE HLC - HEAVYWEIGHT LIFTING CLUB

we train our bodies not our egos.

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Both are good, and very well respected. If you want to "wow" somebody, ACSM is the way to go. But you really can't go wrong with either one.

Kinesiology books, exercise physiology textbooks, all these things I've owned all refer to ACSM and there's a reason why. They pretty much set the fitness guidelines that everybody else refers to. You'll even find some certifications like ACE referring to ACSM.
    Last edited by Rap_Rocky; 11-23-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

On alcohol fueled hiatus seanpatrickb's Avatar
    seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpatrickb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Looking at the other stuff has helped me decide on NASM. The performance enhancment specialization interests me very much, as athletic training is something i would like to get into down the road. Also ACSM only counting its own programs for cec is a big turn off. Thanks for the replies guys!

RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10) RSobkowz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.nasm.org/highered/default...a7b_28_0_318_3

Does anyone have any thoughts on the merit of this program? I plan to do the NASM CPT program in the near future and have been looking at other, related college majors that I'm interested in enrolling in. I work a full time 8-5er so I was hoping to find an online program offering. Many people have warned me about being wary of hoaky online programs but being this is from a reputable university I would assume this degree would be pretty solid, no?
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/RSobkowz/

Please look and leave some comments!

"Destroy to recreate. Disassemble, to assemble something pure." -Mudvayne

"All men WERE created equal. Some of us just choose to bust our asses and BECOME better." -Me