Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Unusual or altered exercises

In my journal I get some questions as to why I do some exercises on certain days. I also try to explain some things that I do that are not ordinary.
    This got me thinking *lightbulb*
    Who else out there does their own made up exercise or altered exercise?
    I'm always willing to try something new and add a different angle to hit a muscle to gain an edge over the competition.

Over the 20+ years of going to many different gyms there is an exercise that I do that I have never seen anyone else do. I named these the "Carlman Pulls".

Keys to this movement are:
    Start position stretch out.
    Pull and twist the body.
    Lean back a little and bring the "D" ring to the waist.
    Recoil, stretch and repeat.
    You should feel this in the lower outside lat a very difficult area to
    hit with any other exercise.

Another one that I do is dips on shoulder days.
    The keys to this is:
    Range of motion.
    Angle of the body.
    Elbows directly behind not flaired out.

Last but not least, I do a variation of a side lateral and press with dumbells.
    I call these the "Hulks"

Video is self explanitory I believe.

Thoughts and or opinions always welcome.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    In my journal I get some questions as to why I do some exercises on certain days. I also try to explain some things that I do that are not ordinary.
    This got me thinking *lightbulb*
    Who else out there does their own made up exercise or altered exercise?
    I'm always willing to try something new and add a different angle to hit a muscle to gain an edge over the competition.

Over the 20+ years of going to many different gyms there is an exercise that I do that I have never seen anyone else do. I named these the "Carlman Pulls".

Keys to this movement are:
    Start position stretch out.
    Pull and twist the body.
    Lean back a little and bring the "D" ring to the waist.
    Recoil, stretch and repeat.
    You should feel this in the lower outside lat a very difficult area to
    hit with any other exercise.

Another one that I do is dips on shoulder days.
    The keys to this is:
    Range of motion.
    Angle of the body.
    Elbows directly behind not flaired out.

Last but not least, I do a variation of a side lateral and press with dumbells.
    I call these the "Hulks"

Video is self explanitory I believe.

Thoughts and or opinions always welcome.

I like the Carlman pulls. The Carlman dips would shred my shoulders. I think the Carlman hulks would be a great RC exercise..

I do one for intercostals where I use the weighted crunch machine with both feet on one side of the machine and only the opposite arm holding the handle to do the move. I haven't seen anyone copy the move (this is when you know it's good). After I started doing Bodyhard curls I've seen a couple guys doing them, fine by me, I've borrowed plenty from other lifters I've seen in the gym.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I definitely do NOT make up my own exercises. I still consider myself a (relative) noob. However, I absolutely am always on the look out for people doing things I've never seen before. I make it a point to research what they're doing and try it later. I definitely remember the first time I saw someone doing dragon flags. I was amazed and now I'm slowly trying to get good at them.

Oh yeah, and I learned from your drop set video a while back.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Only thing I will claim is that I do a variation of these:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...m+Long+Bar+Row

Only I use a single heavy DB.

The ROM is greater in that the DB can be brought closer to the chest and you can get a full pull at the end of the eccentric and, with no axle, the support muscles are really engaged more as well. You can control where it "hits" on your back by how & where you raise the DB to.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have seen people in my gym do something very similar to the Carlman pull, not sure what they are targeting though.

What I would like to know is why do the dips for shoulders?
    What portion of the delt are you working, I see that as putting a lot of pressure on the shoulder joints,as well as the upper traps, if someone has cervical pain or disc damage or Rotator cuff pathologies this might do more harm than good.

just sayin

Also, please explain the muscles recruited when doing the hulks.
    Thanks.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If the movement is not in Bill Pearl's "Keys To The Inner Universe" or in Louie Simmons' bag of tricks...not doing it. I'll build up my adhesions and scar tissue the old fashioned way.

IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Carlman pulls look good; the fwd lean dips would wreck my shoulders.

One variation for chinups & lat pulldowns (use the short straight bar) I've done is; either case, palms facing grip and both hands touching and forearms touching throughout & do chinups or lat pulldowns. Short range of motion but really hits the biceps and lats.

Tried one arm deadlift as mentioned in a T-nation article last week. Tough (balance) but interesting & could feel it.

These extremely OLD pics, lifts..... many qualify for the 'do not try this at home or in the gym' warnng.
    http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I like the Carlman pulls. The Carlman dips would shred my shoulders. I think the Carlman hulks would be a great RC exercise..

I do one for intercostals where I use the weighted crunch machine with both feet on one side of the machine and only the opposite arm holding the handle to do the move. I haven't seen anyone copy the move (this is when you know it's good). After I started doing Bodyhard curls I've seen a couple guys doing them, fine by me, I've borrowed plenty from other lifters I've seen in the gym.
    I like doing side bends with holding a dumbell for the obliques.
    It's been a while since I used the seated ab crunch machine for that area.
    I just might today or tomorrow at the gym.

Originally Posted by StressMonkey View Post
    Oh yeah, and I learned from your drop set video a while back.
    That's what were are here to help each other out and keep motivated.
    I LOVE drop sets!!!!!

Originally Posted by BuckSpin View Post
    Only thing I will claim is that I do a variation of these:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...m+Long+Bar+Row

Only I use a single heavy DB.

The ROM is greater in that the DB can be brought closer to the chest and you can get a full pull at the end of the eccentric and, with no axle, the support muscles are really engaged more as well. You can control where it "hits" on your back by how & where you raise the DB to.
    Do you not do them because of the grip that shows in the photos?
    If thats the case, you can get a "V" bar and put it under the bar.
    This will allow a close grip and much easier to handle.

Another tip is to use 25's instead of 45 pound plates. This would create a much larger range of motion.

This movement will hit the inner most of the back muscle much more than one arm rows.

Unless you are doing a seated cable row I would say definitly hit this exercise that you linked once in a while.

Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    I have seen people in my gym do something very similar to the Carlman pull, not sure what they are targeting though.

What I would like to know is why do the dips for shoulders?
    What portion of the delt are you working, I see that as putting a lot of pressure on the shoulder joints,as well as the upper traps, if someone has cervical pain or disc damage or Rotator cuff pathologies this might do more harm than good.

just sayin

Also, please explain the muscles recruited when doing the hulks.
    Thanks.
    Those people don't either just kiddin.

Mostly hitting the anterior delt.

Why?
    1) I feel the muscle worked every time I do them.
    2) I've noticed more roundness to my delts since doing them a year ago.
    3) My warm up sets have dropped from 4 sets to 2 sets on the military press
    since I incorporated these into the mix.

As for the people who have cervical pain or disc damage or Rotator cuff pathologies and try doing ANYTHING that would do them more harm is their
    own stupidity.

Muscles worked in the Hulks-

First part of the motion will it mainly the Lateral (side) Deltoid.
    The pressing portion of the Hulks hits the Anterior (front) Deltoid.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I like doing side bends with holding a dumbell for the obliques.
    It's been a while since I used the seated ab crunch machine for that area.
    I just might today or tomorrow at the gym.

That's what were are here to help each other out and keep motivated.
    I LOVE drop sets!!!!!

Another tip is to use 25's instead of 45 pound plates. This would create a much larger range of motion.

This movement will hit the inner most of the back muscle much more than one arm rows.

Unless you are doing a seated cable row I would say definitly hit this exercise that you linked once in a while.

Those people don't either just kiddin.

Mostly hitting the anterior delt.

Why?
    1) I feel the muscle worked every time I do them.
    2) I've noticed more roundness to my delts since doing them a year ago.
    3) My warm up sets have dropped from 4 sets to 2 sets on the military press
    since I incorporated these into the mix.

As for the people who have cervical pain or disc damage or Rotator cuff pathologies and try doing ANYTHING that would do them more harm is their
    own stupidity

Muscles worked in the Hulks-

First part of the motion will it mainly the Lateral (side) Deltoid.
    The pressing portion of the Hulks hits the Anterior (front) Deltoid.

But that's why we're here, to help
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post
    If the movement is not in Bill Pearl's "Keys To The Inner Universe" or in Louie Simmons' bag of tricks...not doing it. I'll build up my adhesions and scar tissue the old fashioned way.
    I am a FIRM believer in the main core movements to add size.
    I like to add things to ensure all parts of the muscle and fibers are getting work. The tiniest little thing being missed from lets say bench press alone
    may be made up by incorporating some different isolated movements.
    IMO of course.

Originally Posted by IR45N View Post
    The Carlman pulls look good; the fwd lean dips would wreck my shoulders.

One variation for chinups & lat pulldowns (use the short straight bar) I've done is; either case, palms facing grip and both hands touching and forearms touching throughout & do chinups or lat pulldowns. Short range of motion but really hits the biceps and lats.

Tried one arm deadlift as mentioned in a T-nation article last week. Tough (balance) but interesting & could feel it.

These extremely OLD pics, lifts..... many qualify for the 'do not try this at home or in the gym' warnng.
    http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#

Forearms touching throughout the full range of motion.
    I've never done that. hmmmm.

Looked at that web site.
    Don't think I'll be trying this one

http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#...ift/4511806489
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000)
    Forearms touching throughout the full range of motion.
    I've never done that. hmmmm.

Looked at that web site.
    Don't think I'll be trying this one
    http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#...ift/4511806489
    Fist against fist, forearms touching, you might feel like you're building chest cleavage, (you're not), but give it a try.

Wouldn't try that old lift either, but FWIW, these guys WERE strong enough to do them.

Originally Posted by IR45N View Post
    Wouldn't try that old lift either, but FWIW, these guys WERE crazy enough to do them.
    fixed
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you not do them because of the grip that shows in the photos? If thats the case, you can get a "V" bar and put it under the bar. This will allow a close grip and much easier to handle.

Well, the main reason is that all I have are DBs! LOL

I saw this & came up with the idea of substituting a singular heavy DB and its now one of my favorite lifts. I just intertwine my fingers and get ready to go. Aside from the ROM increase, not having the resistance anchored on a singular axis of movement really forces you to engage a lot of support muscles plus allows me to control the arc on the concentric, if I choose. Plus you get some iso/static lower back as a freebie!

I agree with all you said, especially the target. It really nails the inner back. I use a 2-1-3 count and squeeze at the top.

Give em' a shot sometime as an "ala carte" on your Back Day & see. And use a HEAVY DB!
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

Originally Posted by BuckSpin View Post
    Give em' a shot sometime as an "ala carte" on your Back Day & see. And use a HEAVY DB!
    Only problem is that my dumbells only go up to 85's.
    I do those with one arm rows.
    I'll probably stick with bent over barbell rows.
    Or else I would give them a shot though.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000) Zingaritano is just really nice. (+1000)
    The only non-traditional exercises that I do that I see nobody else doing are rotator cuff exercises. I know a lot of people who cannot do BB bench any more because of shoulder issues, so I take extra precautions to keep those muscles strong.....especially considering my age

wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Carl,
    tried your Carlman pulls. Liked them alot, so much so that I do them on a regular basis instead of the version I was doing. It really hits your lower lats hard.
    From the body cast of an injured working dog (finding IEDs) in Afghanistan: TALIBAN TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!

Plato: Only the dead have seen the end of war.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MtnBikeMike is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by wulf88 View Post
    Carl,
    tried your Carlman pulls. Liked them alot, so much so that I do them on a regular basis instead of the version I was doing. It really hits your lower lats hard.
    I did them for the first time last week and am going to them again tonight. I pride my self on my muscular endurance but ran out of gas doing reps on these so I assume I'm hitting part of the lats that usually don't get worked real well.
    Happily married father of four and grandfather of two and one on the way. Edit: Grandfather of 3 as of 02/28/2009.

http://workout.bodybuilding.com/MtnBikeMike/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113013061

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!" Texas A&M University.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've done slight variations in movements in the past.

Right now the only sort of odd (not really that odd) thing I'm doing is my tricep extensions seated with my back to the high pulley, using the rope handles I hold my upper arm at a 90% angle to my torso and extend my arms. What I like about this as opposed to skull crushers (similar movement) is that there is tension on the muscle through the entire movement.

Was friends with Methuselah

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do a variation of the "Carlman Pulls" that my trainer taught me. Its a seated one arm lat pulldown but without the twist you do. I'll try your variation next time.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm going to try the Hulks on shoulder day. I have trouble feeling DOMS in the side delts and it pisses me off sometimes. So I'm always trying to find different angles and variations.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

This is how I do these, too; it's one of the main rowing exercises I use. I feel they're much more effective, at least for me, than anything I can do with a cable, to nail my upper middle back. I put the non-working end of the bar against a wall, with a heavy dumbbell over it, to keep it from lifting off the ground. You're right about using 25's; they're the key to getting the full ROM. The V handle under the bar is an important factor, too.

The whole idea of using unconventional exercises, and part-ROM of conventional exercises, to hit a very specific area, is a concept I'm just now getting into. After years of training, and reaching a certain level of development, it just might be time to try some very different things.

BTW, I've been doing "Carlman Pulls" for a few weeks now, and if they're performed exactly as Carl demonstrates, hit the lats all the way down at the very bottom.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 11-24-2008 at 07:00 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by Zingaritano View Post
    The only non-traditional exercises that I do that I see nobody else doing are rotator cuff exercises. I know a lot of people who cannot do BB bench any more because of shoulder issues, so I take extra precautions to keep those muscles strong.....especially considering my age
    Actually I think by doing the dips the whey I do has kept me health over the years. I never had any issues with my shoulders on benching.

I also do behind the neck pull downs. If done correctly and not too much weight, shoulder will be just fine. IMO and past experience.

Originally Posted by wulf88 View Post
    Carl,
    Cool, I sometimes use them as a "power set / In-Set Superset" immediately after each set of rack pulls. Other than that I tend to use them as a finishing exercise.

Originally Posted by MtnBikeMike View Post
    I did them for the first time last week and am going to them again tonight. I pride my self on my muscular endurance but ran out of gas doing reps on these so I assume I'm hitting part of the lats that usually don't get worked real well.
    Exactly, thats why I like doing them so much. It is very hard to get that part of the muscle worked directly.

Originally Posted by Old-Time-Lifter View Post
    I've done slight variations in movements in the past.

Right now the only sort of odd (not really that odd) thing I'm doing is my tricep extensions seated with my back to the high pulley, using the rope handles I hold my upper arm at a 90% angle to my torso and extend my arms. What I like about this as opposed to skull crushers (similar movement) is that there is tension on the muscle through the entire movement.

Skull crushers or I LOVE to do these also....

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...verTriExt.html

By standing you can stabalize and push more weight.

Originally Posted by jtroster View Post
    I do a variation of the "Carlman Pulls" that my trainer taught me. Its a seated one arm lat pulldown but without the twist you do. I'll try your variation next time.
    I have seen these before. The Carlman Pull will hit lower in the lat.

Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    I'm going to try the Hulks on shoulder day. I have trouble feeling DOMS in the side delts and it pisses me off sometimes. So I'm always trying to find different angles and variations.
    You may have to play around to find what weight works best for you on these.
    A nice easy pace with total control is what you are looking for. The total range of motion on these really gets the delts burnning, for me anywhey.
    Good luck trying them!

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    This is how I do these, too; it's one of the main rowing exercises I use. I feel they're much more effective, at least for me, than anything I can do with a cable, to nail my upper middle back. I put the non-working end of the bar against a wall, with a heavy dumbbell over it, to keep it from lifting off the ground. You're right about using 25's; they're the key to getting the full ROM. The V handle under the bar is an important factor, too.
    Without the V bar it feels awkward and i tend to think that the lower hand on the bar does not let the back get the full advantage. With the V bar the load on the back is distributed equally.

The whole idea of using unconventional exercises, and part-ROM of conventional exercises, to hit a very specific area, is a concept I'm just now getting into. After years of training, and reaching a certain level of development, it just might be time to try some very different things.
    I totally agree with this. Also as many different angles hit per muscle the better for over all growth and strength. IMO of course.

BTW, I've been doing "Carlman Pulls" for a few weeks now, and if they're performed exactly as Carl demonstrates, hit the lats all the way down at the very bottom.
    In bold is the key.

Last edited by ntrllftr; 11-24-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

The first exercise pictured, the single-lat pulldown (that's what I call them, for lack of a better term) is an excellent move and hits the whole lat. You demonstrated it just as should be done--perfect.

The second vid--dips--would kill me, as I've always had problems with my shoulder joints when dipping, therefore, while they work well for you, they'd just obliterate me.

Third vid of the "Hulk raises"--yeah, did them when younger, but they actually built up my front delts too much. When I do laterals, I like to do them one-handed, hanging on to something and leaning away. That way, I can't cheat.

Great form, BTW; thanks for posting the vids, especially the first one.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like standing facing the seated bench press machine, grab the handles, and do rows by pulling my elbows up and back. Hits the upper back really good.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do a lot of exercises a different way to work around my limitations.
    Check my journal.

I do a lot of Bottom Position Squats, Benching and Military Presses.....
    This is simply setting the bar on the spotter pins in the rack at the bottom point of a lift and starting it from there and no unracking/re racking.

I'll also use the smith machine for seated or Donkey Calf Raises and Belt Squats and thicker bars for Deadlifts and Biceps and rope Tricep handle for hammer curl or pull ups.

I don't claim to have invented any of this but I seem to be the only one I see doing any of them in the gym.

bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000)
    Somewhat unusual I guess. These kill my glutes and I can feel em for days

Originally Posted by bebeklein View Post
    Somewhat unusual I guess. These kill my glutes and I can feel em for days

They use to make leg presses that were set up this whey.
    I have not seen one in years. I need to do more one leg pushes.
    The load on the leg press is hard on my knees. Lunges and or step ups I can only do about every other workout due to me knees. I totally forgot about using the Smith Machine to do these.
    Legs tomorrow, I just might give them a shot.

Thanks for sharing!

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cool moves. I'll try those pulls. Currently I do my 1-arm cable rows with a straight back, no movement. I like to do full range dips, so I'm not sure about those.

One thing I do that I never see in the gym is actual pullups. I guess that doesn't count though.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Carl,

The movement you call 'Hulks' we used to do a similar exercise that we called 'Arnolds'.(we made the exercise and that name up) Only difference in the movement is that we would bring the butts of the db's together at the bottom.

I haven't tried these since starting lifting again, as I wasn't sure that it would over stress my shoulder? What are your thoughts on the mechanics of this movement, should I be leary of it or not??? Perhaps there is less stress doing it with the slight modification you use?
    Was friends with Methuselah

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Without the V bar it feels awkward and i tend to think that the lower hand on the bar does not let the back get the full advantage. With the V bar the load on the back is distributed equally.
    I agree; spreading the load evenly across the back is important, especially when doing heavy sets (6-8 reps).
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733