TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Squat for Vertical Jump

Is it better that i go as heavy as possible and do a small number of reps or go lighter and go into the 10-12 reps per set if i want to increase my vert. im already doing lunges, pylos, etc...
    If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize. - Muhammed Ali

pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well man, you can do both, i usually dont go to heavy on squats anymore.i usually do sets of 10 on squats and they have seemed to give me a boost in my vertical(im trying to increase mine aswell).i also to jump squats and lunges which seem to help the most.i think i will go heavy on my squats in a month or so just wanna see how high reps do for me tho. but yea man squats will help you, IMO squats help you with everything athletically.
    6'5 285ibs

Boomer Sooner.

powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlifter11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always go heavy on my squats, starting with a warm up of 12 or so reps tapering down to about 4. Try a few different variations of squats too. Front squats or zerchers, pause squats, box squats. I have been working on high jump for track and been doing some very heavy quarter squats. My squat max is at about 385 right now and I load the bar to 430 or so. I have a 37" vert, on my quest to 40. Good luck man. Also don't neglect the plyos, you really need the elastic power for efficient jumping.
    Bench-225
    Dead- 402.5 (comp)
    Squat-365
    Clean-245

Vert- 36"
    40-4.45

Triple Jump-45'5"
    Pole Vault- 15'1"
    Long Jump- 22'
    Jav-161'8
    100m 11.48e
    Decathlon-New! 5924

squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000) squat4speed is just really nice. (+1000)
    3-5 heavy reps is best for improving vertical
    and 10x1 (singles) on box squats (very heavy) or 6x2 on box squats is very good as well.

TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by squat4speed View Post
    3-5 heavy reps is best for improving vertical
    and 10x1 (singles) on box squats (very heavy) or 6x2 on box squats is very good as well.
    Should be squatting lower than paralell as well just so your hip hamstrings glutes get worked since those are really important for a high vertical.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Squat for speed at around 60 % and squat heavy at around 95 % , low reps unless you need specific endurance!
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

^Credentials in the Name^ RCSCSF's Avatar
    RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First things first, heavy & light are relative terms, not absolute. Yes squatting will increase your ability to displace yourself vertically, but should not be used alone. A proper training program that includes power movements are a great way to increase the vertical. But back to the squats. You need to do whats called periodization through micro and macro cycles in order to train the body the right way. You shouldn't be using a set number of reps for a prolonged period of time because you're body will get used to it and you will eventually plateau. Do some research on Linear and Undulating Periodizations models, preferable by Tudor Bompa and let me know what you think. This will blow your mind and introduce you to the science of exercise physiology, not just your boy at the gym telling you what works for him!!

thadaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    should u box squat with high bar or low bar position?

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RCSCSF View Post
    First things first, heavy & light are relative terms, not absolute. Yes squatting will increase your ability to displace yourself vertically, but should not be used alone. A proper training program that includes power movements are a great way to increase the vertical. But back to the squats. You need to do whats called periodization through micro and macro cycles in order to train the body the right way. You shouldn't be using a set number of reps for a prolonged period of time because you're body will get used to it and you will eventually plateau. Do some research on Linear and Undulating Periodizations models, preferable by Tudor Bompa and let me know what you think. This will blow your mind and introduce you to the science of exercise physiology, not just your boy at the gym telling you what works for him!!
    Tudor Bompa ... now theres a great man. I actually have his book on sports training and am going to implement it after this season .... my strength levels are pretty good though. Personally I think periodization works better with stronger athletes ... especially since he mainly worked with olympic athletes in their prime. I guess too though if you started training earlier enough it could be ok but I would think you don't gain enough strength in a year if you are say a senior trying for quick results ... thats just an opinion though based on how its setup not by experience.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jgood View Post
    Tudor Bompa ... now theres a great man. I actually have his book on sports training and am going to implement it after this season .... my strength levels are pretty good though. Personally I think periodization works better with stronger athletes ... especially since he mainly worked with olympic athletes in their prime. I guess too though if you started training earlier enough it could be ok but I would think you don't gain enough strength in a year if you are say a senior trying for quick results ... thats just an opinion though based on how its setup not by experience.
    Thank you for backin me up on this one. Although I have used with much success undulating periodization with high school athletes for the last few years with amazing results. I just put together a progress sheet for a baseball team I have been working with since Nov 15 and most of them have actually improved over 60% in total weight lifted. It actually works great with beginners and those who have been in the system for a few years. Let me know if you are interested in more, I'm always willing to spout success stories.

VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a knee injury, so it is not possible to go lower than parell without aggrivating it, any advice? Target is vertical increase...
    Little money never told big money what to do.

Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derk4397 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by VVSKing View Post
    I have a knee injury, so it is not possible to go lower than parell without aggrivating it, any advice? Target is vertical increase...
    Do box squats

Originally Posted by VVSKing View Post
    box squats are great! also try the good ol' front squat, you wont be able to load as much, but changing where the force will go on the body may help out with your knee problems.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you for backin me up on this one. Although I have used with much success undulating periodization with high school athletes for the last few years with amazing results. I just put together a progress sheet for a baseball team I have been working with since Nov 15 and most of them have actually improved over 60% in total weight lifted. It actually works great with beginners and those who have been in the system for a few years. Let me know if you are interested in more, I'm always willing to spout success stories.
    I'd be interested in seeing that.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardHitter22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds interesting.