DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

How Much Are Squats Supposed To Work Your Lower Back

I've had bad back pain for about a year and a half now, and I'm just now starting to get back into squats and deadlifts. But the thing is, when I do squats, I seem to feel it 100 times more in my back than in my legs. Actually, I hardly at all feel it in my legs. I don't think my form is off, I'm maintaining a straight back, I'm not going over my toes, my chest is out, and my legs arn't buckling to either side. I've tried even using impoper form but it still ends up working my lower back more than my legs. If I understand this correctly, your lower back is simply a stabilizer for squats. So why do I feel it so much?

Could this be that my back is just weak from not being worked in so long?

I have the same problem with romanian dead lifts. I feel it more in the back than in the hams.

Thanks for the help.
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DavisForman View Post
    I've had bad back pain for about a year and a half now, and I'm just now starting to get back into squats and deadlifts. But the thing is, when I do squats, I seem to feel it 100 times more in my back than in my legs. Actually, I hardly at all feel it in my legs. I don't think my form is off, I'm maintaining a straight back, I'm not going over my toes, my chest is out, and my legs arn't buckling to either side. I've tried even using impoper form but it still ends up working my lower back more than my legs. If I understand this correctly, your lower back is simply a stabilizer for squats. So why do I feel it so much?

I have the same problem with romanian dead lifts. I feel it more in the back than in the hams.

Thanks for the help.
    We would have to physically view your form, to be-able to discuss whether squatting technique is the cause of this.

You are, however, correct when stating that your back muscles (specifically the erector spinae group) act as stabilisers during this movement.

If you are experiencing lower back pain, you should look at rectifying this. Many people with lower back pain, have it due to a lack of core strength and stability. This observation tends to relate more to the deeper muscles of the core (specifically the lumbar multifidus, and transverse abdominis).

You will need to learn to use these muscles. They are the primary core stability muscles. Your more superficial muscles, in the erector spinae group / rectus abdominis, etc.. are meant to purely assist with stability - however - it is likely your deeper muscles are insufficiently being used, causing excess stress, reliance and compensation of your erector spinae group - which may be why you're "feeling" it more in your lower back.

Feel welcome to perform isolated back extensions as well (body weight initially, working towards additional weight). Though, this will still not correct your problem if the local muscular system isn't corrected.

killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Even if you use correct form, it sounds like you have not really worked out your lower back in awhile. If this is the case which I assume it is your lower back will probably be very weak which will seem like squats and deads are working your lower back more than your legs because in your case they are since you have not provided your core with enough stimulus. I would gradually move up in these exercises and add in some core exercises to help.

fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Belt much? If not invest in one. A good inzer belt like a "forever" belt:

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....LTS_BUCKLE10MM
    Me Squatting 405X5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirPD1kKkuQ

This link might save your life.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_388.mp3

BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    a wider stance on squats, and doing squats last in your workout will pretty much take the feel of your lower back out of the workout.

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fmrmarineinbiz View Post
    Belt much? If not invest in one. A good inzer belt like a "forever" belt:

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....LTS_BUCKLE10MM
    That's not going to help his form if that's the issue at hand.

Video?
    IG: @toadkillerdog

blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blancmange is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you boosting from your heels?? I feel it in my back when fatiguing and falling forward onto my toes

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks for the help.
    Do squats as your last excercise to fix this...

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Paumen View Post
    Do squats as your last excercise to fix this...
    I can see the wiseness in this, but I'm thinking there could be a problem. Obviously that my legs would be pre-exhausted by then, but I also be pretty exhausted at this point, and I'm worried my form might become poor, and then that would just make it worse for my back. I don't know, just my thinking.

Thanks for the help guys.

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) BOVAT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well im speaking from experience, i always do squats last, and yes i do have to use lighter weights, but my quads get better stimulation this way.

also, make sure your coming straight up, and not good morning the weight up.

DMFC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can see the wiseness in this, but I'm thinking there could be a problem. Obviously that my legs would be pre-exhausted by then, but I also be pretty exhausted at this point, and I'm worried my form might become poor, and then that would just make it worse for my back. I don't know, just my thinking.

Thanks for the help guys.
    It's good advice. If you squat last, you'll be using less weight as your legs (should at that point) be fatigued. When you're tired and sore, pride ought to go out the window easier for you and you can focus more on the range of motion and your form.

I often do squats last and I'll even use a heavy dumb bell (heavy is relative - ~110lbs is what I use) held against my midsection while squatting. This makes squatting less of an exhaustive compound exercise and helps me to focus my energy on developing my hamstrings, quadriceps, and core.

Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000) Donkeyno9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I experienced the same thing when I started lifting many moons ago. It took more than a year for the pain to subside. If I could go back and give myself advice.... Only 1 heavy set of squats per workout,focus on the abs more,do good mornings or hyperextensions,and wait a few workouts before adding more weight. This is a good thread,alot of usefull info given here!
    I have no E-stats to post but this is my Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142431291

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BOVAT View Post
    a wider stance on squats, and doing squats last in your workout will pretty much take the feel of your lower back out of the workout.
    A Wider Stance just works different heads of the Quads. Doesn't affect your lower back any different than a Close Stance.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think its related to you having tight hamstrings.

Next time you squat try this.

Do a number of no body weight sets of 10 or so. In between them stretch your hamstrings by simply doing an old fashioned toe touch like you did in school.

Now progress to your warm ups with weight up to your working sets.

Do toe touches in between each and every set for 30 seconds or so.

Do this for the next week or two and I bet this will be a thing of the past.

Not to mention your squats and deads will both be easier and heavier.

Hope his helps. It did for me.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks for the help.

Great signature! Repped !!!

Alright, I'll try doin em last and see how that works. I also add in a lot more strecthing too.

Originally Posted by Antz1980 View Post
    Great signature! Repped !!!
    Lol, thanks man. But I'm still new to the forum. Repped?

Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
    A Wider Stance just works different heads of the Quads. Doesn't affect your lower back any different than a Close Stance.
    actually it does.

not to be a dick.

blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    only time i get back pain is when i screw up and lean forward, forcing a correction by using my lower back to straighten myself out. another culprit could be your tightness. if your back isn't tight and your natural arch maintained throughout the entire range of motion, you could be placing unnecessary stress on it.

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lol, thanks man. But I'm still new to the forum. Repped?

Repped means i have added to your rep power. I aggree with what you have said or in this case i repped you for your sig (signature) The little green blocks and the number.....you can view your rep power in your user cp screen. To give reps, click on the scales underneath the persons blocks.

IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50) IBlastMyQuads will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It shouldn't. You're probably leaning too much forward. I know over head squats do the back.

Originally Posted by Antz1980 View Post
    Repped means i have added to your rep power. I aggree with what you have said or in this case i repped you for your sig (signature) The little green blocks and the number.....you can view your rep power in your user cp screen. To give reps, click on the scales underneath the persons blocks.
    Ah, okay. Repped Back

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thanks for the help.
    Probably poor hip flexibility and core strength. I have news for you. Most guys can't do proper squats without any weight at all. Try this body weight movement out: keep your heels pinned to the floor, squat all the way down keeping your knees behind your toes, arms out resting on your knees and chest out/chin up and hold that position with perfect balance for about 30 seconds. If you can't do that, I see it as mechanically impossible that you will acheive good form on squats. If you can't do it, practice until you can. Do these free form for reps with a good stretch and pause in the hole. You're legs will burn beleive me. When you're ready add the bar and work up. You'll come up very quick because you're legs will be doing the work; not your lower back.

For low back Weighted hyper extensions are good for building those lower back muscles.

Also using basic movements for your other lifts will help too. EX: don't use plate loaded machines for back. Instead do bent over rows, chins, rack DL's. Shoulders: work in some free form presses without back support etc. Deadlifts, regardless of your line of pull, are going to work the lower back, hips, hammies etc.
    "The best gift that you can give your children is to Love their Mother"