My_Master has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trans Fat Sneaking Into Your Diet!!!

In one of the Muscle and Fitness magazines I have (I believe October issue) there was an article about how trans-fat (AKA hydrogenated oils) can sneak right into your diet. Here's the article (link at the bottom of paragraph):

If the thought of trans fats--vegetable oils that have been converted (hydro-genated) to solid fat--makes you cringe, you're not alone. Food manufacturers love this fat because it extends a food product's shelf life and makes packaged foods creamier or crisper, but this nutrient has absolutely no redeeming value. In fact, trans fats lead to clogged arteries, cancer and diabetes. Step away from the Oreos, kids!

The news is even worse for bodybuilders: Trans fats not only prevent the body from using essential omega fats properly but can also enhance muscle breakdown, limit growth and even increase abdominal fat.

Your best move is to religiously read nutrition labels and make sure any food you eat contains zero grams of trans fats--right? After all, as of 2006 the Food and Drug Administration made it mandatory for food manufacturers to list trans fats content of packaged foods. Yet ensuring that you get less than the 2-gram daily maximum of trans fats recommended by the American Heart Association (AHA) can be trickier than it seems. That's thanks to a loophole in labeling laws allowing food manufacturers to label foods as containing "zero trans fats" if the trans fats content is less than 0.5 gram per serving.

You read that correctly: If a food contains up to 0.49 gram of trans fats per serving, it will read as zero grams of trans fats on the label. Okay, that's not all that big a deal if you consume only one serving. But given that serving sizes are often minuscule and bodybuilders need more nutrients than the average couch potato, eating five servings of that food per day has been known to happen. Those five servings could serve you up to 2.45 grams of trans fats, slightly more than what the AHA recommends and way over what M&F recommends--our zero means zero!

Congress is already pushing legislation called the "Trans Fat Truth in Labeling Act" that would call for food manufacturers to place an asterisk next to the zero grams of trans fats listing if a product contains any amount of trans fats. This would notify consumers that a serving of that food could contain up to half a gram of trans fats. But it may be awhile before this takes effect, if ever.

In the meantime, here's how to ensure that your trans fats intake stays at true zero: Don't just look for the amount of trans fats listed on a label, read the ingredient list. If you see the terms "partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated" oil of any kind, drop the food and walk away. Those terms mean the food contains trans fats, even if the label claims otherwise.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...69/ai_n3091223

What are your thoughts? I personally think everyone has the right to eat whatever they want in this country, however, I think it sucks for those of us who are serious about avoiding trans-fat, now have to now read the ingredients label to find out if there is any trans fat in our diet.

Anyone, lets hear your thoughts.

Registered User am3ricans0ldier's Avatar
    am3ricans0ldier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) am3ricans0ldier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) am3ricans0ldier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) am3ricans0ldier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) am3ricans0ldier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i think its retarded how peanut butter for example says 0 trans fatz but the label clearly says hydrogenated oils...false advertising in my opinion

lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by am3ricans0ldier View Post
    i think its retarded how peanut butter for example says 0 trans fatz but the label clearly says hydrogenated oils...false advertising in my opinion
    It's not false advertising.....it's following FDA regulations.
    Boxing Promoter, keystonebox.com

IG/Twitter/Snap: lorinelise8 (stalk away)

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    buy natural pb then
    @__@

Metabolism>Speed of Light xl Achilles lx's Avatar
    xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xl Achilles lx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If it advertises "hydrogenated oils" on the ingredients list, it can't be deemed false advertising lol.

Plus, have you actually looked into the amount of trans fat that you consume in a serving of peanut butter that's got hydrogenated oils in it? The amount is minuscule.
    Last edited by xl Achilles lx; 11-25-2008 at 09:39 AM.
    'I got some mysteries thats confronted when the blunt's lit.'

Yes folks I have ********, just PM for my name.