Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Homemade power rack - picture and plans

Hi All,

I'm not a regular poster here but do lurk alot. This year I decided to trash the gym membership and build a home gym in the basement. A power rack was in order but cash was tight so I built my own. I use AutoCAD daily for my job so I drew up a plan and thought it may be helpful for some of you here. While I have not officially "tested" the rack by purposely dropping a huge ass weight on it, I have no doubts the frame will take a serious beating...it's alot of lumber! It's more solid than some steel cages I've seen.

Everything to build this cost me $115 in materials you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. It's mostly 2x6 boards with some 3/4" diameter plumbing pipe and fittings used for the rack pins and spotter bars. Word of advice: buy the better grade lumber for the vertical legs at the very minimum...sorting thru the cheap **** to find 8 decently straight board may take all day. Also the job does require some power tools. You will need a powerful corded drill with a spade or auger bit and ideally a bench mounted table saw for straight cuts. The holes to cut in the vertical legs is the most time consuming part of the project. Here's where you need the big corded drill as it will tear a cordless drill up in no time using the big spade bits. Overall expect about 3-6 hours of time depending on your construction skills. If you got any questions let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Below is a link to the plans as high resolution JPGS, this site won't let me post files big enough to read. The drawings are to scale if you print the page at full size of 11x17

http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/image/106127565/original

http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/image/106127573
    Attached Images

J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    wow pretty impressive. thing looks like its solid with the thick wood.

deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what no chin bar!? J/k I'd squat in that mofo
    Shouldn't you be lifting something heavy instead of reading this?

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 8
    Workout Equipment Crew: We do it on Power Racks
    Bashing the Bowflex since 2008 for DiamondDelts

Bulldozer feeds upon the weaker as they fall. Bulldozer crushes all! - Machine Head

Owes me a case of beer: dolson27

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Very nice work!
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gipper51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by deseee View Post
    what no chin bar!? J/k I'd squat in that mofo
    LOL. Actually the plan I drew has holes drilled in the top wood bars for sliding a chinning bar thru it. But since I'm still a wuss and can't do many pullups I didn't do it on mine. May drill the holes later when I need it.

Originally Posted by swimmer32 View Post
    Very nice work!
    Thanks. I'm very pleased with it so far.

HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very impressive.

Home made power racks ftw, I love mine, made it from scaffold!

fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    God damn i want one!!!! How much does it cost in material?
    I never rep back

Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Very impressive piece of work there.

Also did any else laugh when you opened the picture and saw the monster of a cage with a standard bar?

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's the best looking wooden power rack I've seen. The ones that have been posted on here in the past have wooden safety rods and look like a bar would start chopping away at everything with some regular use.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    OP that is the best post I have ever seen on a website.

Ever.

mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mentalmorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've been meaning to get round to building a rack for a while now and you have really made my day.

Cheers for sharing bro, that is really cool of you.

Originally Posted by fitmember View Post
    God damn i want one!!!! How much does it cost in material?
    About $110-130 depending on where you shop. I bought all my stuff from Home Depot in the St. Louis area and it cost $115 with tax.

Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
    Very impressive piece of work there.

Also did any else laugh when you opened the picture and saw the monster of a cage with a standard bar?
    LOL, yeah my free weights are embarassing. I'm just getting into this seriously and I'm saving my pennies for an Olympic set. Figured I'd start with the rack as it's going to be the core piece of my gym and then add from there.

Originally Posted by mentalmorph View Post
    I've been meaning to get round to building a rack for a while now and you have really made my day.

Cheers for sharing bro, that is really cool of you.
    No problem. Glad I could help.

Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lehner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gipper51 View Post
    LOL, yeah my free weights are embarassing. I'm just getting into this seriously and I'm saving my pennies for an Olympic set. Figured I'd start with the rack as it's going to be the core piece of my gym and then add from there.
    Smart and trust me Craigslist will have weight sets cheap for you.

pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pd4pd is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    very generous of you to share. great work. reps.
    Kaged and Nutrabio
    Powertec

triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Awesome Rack! Very inspiring.

I too have standard weights in my power rack. I had standard 6' bar and weights, and decided against selling and upgrading to Olympic. Then I DID buy Olympic (Pendlay) and bumpers for outside the power rack! The only complaint with the standard bar is the small (25mm) diameter. It starts to cut into the hands and be uncomfortable above around 200 lbs. But weights are weights. You'll enjoy some fine gains with that set up. Plus the pride of craftmanship will keep you coming back for a long time!

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry...I love building things...But that is a waste of time and money...The price for lumber is high. By the time you build that, you could have went and bought a decent rack.

Originally Posted by mikieson View Post
    Sorry...I love building things...But that is a waste of time and money...The price for lumber is high. By the time you build that, you could have went and bought a decent rack.
    Well it's definately not for everyone I could have cut the price to under $100 by going with the non-wolmanized boards but sifting through the cheap stack to find good boards was futile. I watched Craigs list for a while trying to find a rack but found nothing near what I paid for this. A few popped up for about $200 but were located an hour away. Gas money for the truck to go get it would have been double what this cost me. I'm too impatient to wait for the deal in my own back yard to pop up.

Plus I like the satisfaction of knowing I built something that works...but again, it's not for everyone. One nice thing I like about the wood rack is it doesn't make as much noise as a metal one. I often work out after my wife and baby go to bed, the less metal I have clanking around the better.
    Last edited by gipper51; 11-19-2008 at 07:45 PM.

C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Did you actually read his post? He built it for $115.00. I wouldn't consider that a waste of money with what he can do with that rack. And time, we'll if one has more time than money, who are you to judge what's a waste of "his" time?

The guy did an awesome job, no need to crap on him with your opinion ... which in this case was a waste of your time.

dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000) dolson27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi All,

I'm not a regular poster here but do lurk alot. This year I decided to trash the gym membership and build a home gym in the basement. A power rack was in order but cash was tight so I built my own. I use AutoCAD daily for my job so I drew up a plan and thought it may be helpful for some of you here. While I have not officially "tested" the rack by purposely dropping a huge ass weight on it, I have no doubts the frame will take a serious beating...it's alot of lumber! It's more solid than some steel cages I've seen.

Everything to build this cost me $115 in materials you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. It's mostly 2x6 boards with some 3/4" diameter plumbing pipe and fittings used for the rack pins and spotter bars. Word of advice: buy the better grade lumber for the vertical legs at the very minimum...sorting thru the cheap **** to find 8 decently straight board may take all day. Also the job does require some power tools. You will need a powerful corded drill with a spade or auger bit and ideally a bench mounted table saw for straight cuts. The holes to cut in the vertical legs is the most time consuming part of the project. Here's where you need the big corded drill as it will tear a cordless drill up in no time using the big spade bits. Overall expect about 3-6 hours of time depending on your construction skills. If you got any questions let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Below is a link to the plans as high resolution JPGS, this site won't let me post files big enough to read. The drawings are to scale if you print the page at full size of 11x17

http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/image/106127565/original

http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/image/106127573

Repped for good info and outstanding rack! Great job!
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.17

Make everyday count because no one promised you tomorrow.

Live easy, train hard.

Owe lifetime reps to all E-Crew members

Owe a case of beer to deseee

TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000) TrainOfThought is just really nice. (+1000)
    That is badass OP!

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Awesome job. Did you use lag bolts to bolt together the wood?

Get another piece of pipe and put a pullup bar on top !

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    Awesome job. Did you use lag bolts to bolt together the wood?

Get another piece of pipe and put a pullup bar on top !
    Most of the frame is held together with 3" long heavy duty #14 wood screws. The rear board on the floor to hold the sides together has big lag bolts in it to keep the frame straight. I screwed the double 2x6s for the legs together with 2.5" course thread drywall screws. Use the 2.5" here and not 3" or the screw tips will poke thru the back side. The plans I posted have a screw assembly diagram that shows what I used where if you need more info.

It is a (very) decent rack and a lot cheaper than one out of a shop.

Most of the frame is held together with 3" long heavy duty #14 wood screws. The rear board on the floor to hold the sides together has big lag bolts in it to keep the frame straight. I screwed the double 2x6s for the legs together with 2.5" course thread drywall screws. Use the 2.5" here and not 3" or the screw tips will poke thru the back side. The plans I posted have a screw assembly diagram that shows what I used where if you need more info.
    LOL

I have been studying the plans very closely which I quickly saved on my computer just incase you decided all the idiot types that frequent this site didn't deserve them!

You must be an engineer right?

JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1 View Post
    Did you actually read his post? He built it for $115.00. I wouldn't consider that a waste of money with what he can do with that rack. And time, we'll if one has more time than money, who are you to judge what's a waste of "his" time?

The guy did an awesome job, no need to crap on him with your opinion ... which in this case was a waste of your time.
    +1.

gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This sounds like something I'd do too. CADD and all. I love building stuff and probably would have build a rack but I got a smith machine on craigslist instead. Check on craigslist for your weights as well. So far my home gym consists of a bench, 300 lbs of weights, a smith machine and a curl bar and I think i've collected it all off craigslist for about $120. We're in the process of painting that room so it's kind of a mess.
    Toxic Masculinity

gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You're an idiot. The price of lumber is actually going down. And if you're looking at material prices, matal has skyrocketed so I don't think you're going to find anything cheaper than what he built that for. Haha, I've been wanting to use this pic for a while now...Negged for dick head post
    Toxic Masculinity