twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Improving home gym

Hey guys, I started lifting two years ago and I'm really really getting serious now. I have a cheapish bar that spins for like two seconds lmao. I'm pretty sure its rated at 300 lbs or something and its likely a cheap cap barbell. I am about to buy 2 45s to increase my weight and was wondering if two 45 bumpers would be enough to reduce the noise? I make a sht ton of noise when I deadlift, its literally impossible to drop them. Two 45 bumpers cost 100 ish brand new in Canada at xtc fitness and they're York branded, are those any good? Basically I need a good bar and two 45 bumpers for now. Can you guys please recommend me something? My other alternative is joining a gym for 400 for one year ( only need for one year, going to uni), but apparently good life has lighter weight plates and for powerlifting reasons, that may be detrimental. Please help.
    Squat: 310
    Deadlift: 325
    Competition Bench: 170

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by twelveosix View Post
    Hey guys, I started lifting two years ago and I'm really really getting serious now. I have a cheapish bar that spins for like two seconds lmao. I'm pretty sure its rated at 300 lbs or something and its likely a cheap cap barbell. I am about to buy 2 45s to increase my weight and was wondering if two 45 bumpers would be enough to reduce the noise? I make a sht ton of noise when I deadlift, its literally impossible to drop them. Two 45 bumpers cost 100 ish brand new in Canada at xtc fitness and they're York branded, are those any good? Basically I need a good bar and two 45 bumpers for now. Can you guys please recommend me something? My other alternative is joining a gym for 400 for one year ( only need for one year, going to uni), but apparently good life has lighter weight plates and for powerlifting reasons, that may be detrimental. Please help.
    Do you plan to use two 45lb bumpers in addition to the steel 45s that you already own?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50) twelveosix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Do you plan to use two 45lb bumpers in addition to the steel 45s that you already own?
    Yes, that's what on curious about. Would that be fine to reduce noise?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yes, that's what on curious about. Would that be fine to reduce noise?
    It's not an easy question to answer. There are a number of considerations...

1) Is the diameter of your steel plates the greater or equal as that of the bumpers? If the diameters are equal, the effect of the bumpers towards reducing noise is negligible since both the bumpers and steel plates will make contact with the floor or lifting platform. If the steel plate diameters are greater than that of the bumpers then I would expect the bumpers to have little to no effect at all on the noise.

2) If the bumper plates are of a larger diameter than the steel plates, then you're placing more stress on the bumpers. It is difficult to say whether how much the noise will be reduced by using bumpers in this instance. If the fit (tolerance) of the steel plates on the bar is not especially good, some (perhaps substantial) amount of noise will be generated by the plates rattling around on the bar after they're dropped. I would expect that the noise from the initial impact to be decreased, but it difficult to say how much the total amount of noise will go down.

You might consider the following approaches to reduce noise:

- Buy some good locking collars such as the Ivanko COC-2.5KG. Not only do these collars lock securely to your bar, but they also have a "spin lock" which are used to press the plates together. This should greatly reduce noise due to rattling plates.

- Put down at least one layer of stall mats on your lifting surface. Over that, for lifts like the deadlift, place a thug mat between the layer of stall mats and your barbell plates. Bear in mind that you'll need to account for the thickness of the thug mat when doing the deadlift - you'll need to stand on a platform equal to the height of the compressed mat.

Here's a video showing thug mats in action:

Also consider building a platform like this one. You don't need to use bumpers with this platform:

If you watch to the end, you'll see the platform in action. He's dropping a bar loaded with steel plates. There is still some noise due to the plates rattling on the bar. I think this noise could be largely eliminated by using better collars. (See my earlier suggesting regarding collars.)

okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000) okeley is just really nice. (+1000)
    I 2nd the good locking collars and stall mat approach.

Several good options on collars for less than $50. Not sure if you have access to Tractor Supply in Canada, but their 4' x 6' stall mats are awesome and can be had for $35 when on sell. Mine are marked Made in Canada so I'd assume somebody carries them around you. I only use iron plates and the noise isn't bad with this system.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #70 (DD, B, Kg) ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #21 ||---||
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #21 ▪[M]====[6]▪

It's not an easy question to answer. There are a number of considerations...

1) Is the diameter of your steel plates the greater or equal as that of the bumpers? If the diameters are equal, the effect of the bumpers towards reducing noise is negligible since both the bumpers and steel plates will make contact with the floor or lifting platform. If the steel plate diameters are greater than that of the bumpers then I would expect the bumpers to have little to no effect at all on the noise.

2) If the bumper plates are of a larger diameter than the steel plates, then you're placing more stress on the bumpers. It is difficult to say whether how much the noise will be reduced by using bumpers in this instance. If the fit (tolerance) of the steel plates on the bar is not especially good, some (perhaps substantial) amount of noise will be generated by the plates rattling around on the bar after they're dropped. I would expect that the noise from the initial impact to be decreased, but it difficult to say how much the total amount of noise will go down.

You might consider the following approaches to reduce noise:

- Buy some good locking collars such as the. Not only do these collars lock securely to your bar, but they also have a "spin lock" which are used to press the plates together. This should greatly reduce noise due to rattling plates.

- Put down at least one layer of stall mats on your lifting surface. Over that, for lifts like the deadlift, place ab etween the layer of stall mats and your barbell plates. Bear in mind that you'll need to account for the thickness of the thug mat when doing the deadlift - you'll need to stand on a platform equal to the height of the compressed mat.

Here's a video showing thug mats in action:

Also consider building a platform like this one. You don't need to use bumpers with this platform:

If you watch to the end, you'll see the platform in action. He's dropping a bar loaded with steel plates. There is still some noise due to the plates rattling on the bar. I think this noise could be largely eliminated by using better collars. (See my earlier suggesting regarding collars.)
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. So basically, if I build a platform, I don't need bumper plates? And collars would reduce noise? Do you have any videos of the platform being built? Is it possible to get those thug mats in Canada?

Originally Posted by okeley View Post
    I 2nd the good locking collars and stall mat approach.

Several good options on collars for less than $50. Not sure if you have access to Tractor Supply in Canada, but their 4' x 6' stall mats are awesome and can be had for $35 when on sell. Mine are marked Made in Canada so I'd assume somebody carries them around you. I only use iron plates and the noise isn't bad with this system.
    I'll check them out,thanks for the recommendation!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. So basically, if I build a platform, I don't need bumper plates?
    Yes, with the right kind of platform.

And collars would reduce noise?
    Yes, the noise from the plates rattling on the bar. The collars won't help with noise from impact. (But, hopefully, the platform will.)

Do you have any videos of the platform being built?
    Nope. It's not my video. Do a search and/or visit the guy's channel to see if there's one of the platform being constructed.

Is it possible to get those thug mats in Canada?
    I don't know.

Smile

Yes, with the right kind of platform.

Yes, the noise from the plates rattling on the bar. The collars won't help with noise from impact. (But, hopefully, the platform will.)

Nope. It's not my video. Do a search and/or visit the guy's channel to see if there's one of the platform being constructed.

I don't know.
    Thanks for your help, I'll go my research now

Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just got bumpers for the same reason. Yes it helps a lot.
    I suggest a Rogue Ohio Power Bar for a very good bar.
    Giving unwanted advice to gym goers for years.

Originally Posted by Jayjoe View Post
    I just got bumpers for the same reason. Yes it helps a lot.
    I suggest a Rogue Ohio Power Bar for a very good bar.
    Are you using a bumper on each side with your plates?