MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Practical Programming Novice Program

I was wondering if anyone has used this program, and if it will produce results as good as the basic Starting Strength program seems too??

I'd rather try this one then SS just cause I like the idea of more pulls and chins.

Incase you don't know this is the Practical Programming Novice Program:

Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's a good program. I have personally run the original SS template when I was getting back into the game after recovering from an injury. For the last four weeks, I've been having my girlfriend utilize the PP Novice template since she doesn't want to be piss-ass weak. I can say that for the most part, the gains are very comparable in terms of progression and strength accrual in the core lifts. If you're reasonably strong you'll burn out from deadlifting twice a week anyway, so this is a good setup that one might segue into anyway if using the original SS template.

In any case, I chose to use it with my lady on account of the fact that I'm not qualified to teach Power Cleans to someone who's never used barbells up until a month ago. That's the only other issue I can think of. However, I'd wholly encourage incorporating cleans into it eventually, as they're one of those exercises where you don't know what you're missing until you do them, upon which you realize just how awesome they are.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I personally prefer the PP Novice program over the SS one, though they're both good. My preference stems from the fact that Power Cleans are difficult enough to learn for a lifter at any level, never mind spending extra time coaching the performance of the lift when a beginner should be focusing on building raw strength (easier to do with less technical exercises). That time could be better spent building strength with less technical lifts and the PP Novice program addresses this. This isn't a knock against the SS starter, it's just my personal preference.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Carry on gentlemen!
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattOne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would I still add weight to the deadlift each week even though I'm only doing 1 work set of it each week?

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MattOne1 View Post
    Would I still add weight to the deadlift each week even though I'm only doing 1 work set of it each week?
    Of course!
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131