٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ JDkeystone's Avatar
    JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Forward lunges vs. reverse lunges

Does anyone struggle with reverse lunges as much as I do?? The forward lunges I'm fine with, but I can NEVER keep my balance with reverse lunges (nor do I feel as much of a burn doing them, but that's prolly cuz I'm not doing them correctly, either).

But ever since my trainer learned I have difficulty with the reverse, he's now insisting I do ONLY the reverse on my weight lifting days. Today was a lifting day (it's usually Sundays and Thursdays), and I honestly tried to do the reverse lunges only, but after 2 sets, all I felt was minimal burn and high frustration, so I finally just gave up and went back to doing my regular forwards.

I know my trainer is just trying to get me to learn new things and expand my physical capabilities, but is doing one or the other really going to make that much of a difference in terms of results?
    Last edited by pumped4life82; 11-16-2008 at 08:20 PM.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    They do work the same muscles. Reverse lunges put less stress on the knees and build knee strength. Building knee strength is great and will help to improve your normal leg workouts. Reverse lunges also help with balance and stability. Practice reverse lunges with no weights while holding onto a wall or some piece of gym equipment. It will get easier each time.

٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ JDkeystone's Avatar
    JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JDkeystone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    God I hope so lol. My PT said he'll be "testing" me at our next session to see how much I've improved on the reverse, but I have a feeling not much will have changed. Meh I'll give it another go tomorrow.

ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like both but I really like doing reverse lunges on the smith machine.... they are a killer and a pain in the butt.... literally

MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MJJRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have trouble keeping my balance on fwd lunges, I couldn't even attempt reverse lol

bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ktjfin View Post
    I like both but I really like doing reverse lunges on the smith machine.... they are a killer and a pain in the butt.... literally
    How much weight do you use KT?

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like to mix them up - forward, reverse, stationary, walking. They are all good leg stimulus.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

Eat Lift Sleep Repeat txlftngrl's Avatar
    txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) txlftngrl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey i have the same problem! i thought it was just me, but I cant seem to keep my balance with reverse lunges either(or split squats) so I just stayed away...but I want to try adding them to my routine! sorry i have no advice just wanted to say that, lol. good luck!

tex
    This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my (!@#$%^&*) six hours a day. What are you on? - Lance Armstrong

Success comes before work....only in the dictionary.

heres my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114938821

JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When doing forward and reverse lunges, do you guys alternate legs, or use one leg at a time?

Also, in terms of doing reverse lunges on the smith machine....it seems like naturally there's some reverse movement in the reverse lunge....which you wouldn't be able to do on the smith machine. But I guess it's okay to use the smith machine anyway for this?

ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktjfin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bebeklein View Post
    How much weight do you use KT?
    Sorry I took so long to respond but I start with 20 lbs on each side and go up to 30 it really gets me out of breath lol

mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenteresa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I must be backwards!!! Id do reverse lunges any day over forward ones! And I feel them more in my butt. The smith machine or a max rack work great to help keep you inline. It just takes practice, i guess. My knees are touchy, and the rev. lunges dont seem to bother them like forwards ones.