Dramattic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I need some help im tryna build muscle

OK im new to this site and i need some help Im tryna build some muscle but it seems like i can't do it i use to lift weights and go to the gym every other day and i didn't get any muscle when i was done lifting i could see my muscles were swole but like an hour later they would just get soft and stay that way......

I wanna know anything i could do to get muscle and keep it im a teen im 17 but i want advice from more experienced people..... I don't take any supplements are anything if i should any suggestions

and i weigh 155.

sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10) sactown is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Compound Movements and Added Protein

1) Compound movements (not machines) are far better for adding muscle.

Squat (try to avoid going heavier than 225, because you will still grow another inch, or three and don't wanna jack up your spine and stunt your height). Squats release the most growth hormone and will make you grow. Do them free, don't punk out and use a smith.

2) Olympic straight bar curls. Use a wide grip. If you can only do the bar, then do that, but pick a weight you can do no more than 8 times for your 1st set. Use good form and touch the bar to your nose. 3-4 sets, do them correctly and they are a bitc*.

3) Barbell bench as heavy as possible. Emphasize flat and incline.

Reduce time spent on cardio, but increase intensity. Ex: 25 rep squats, or run 100 yard sprints, or run stairs, rather than 20+minutes on a bike, or treadmill.

I'd be happy to help with anything else.

Bring your lunch pail.........................
    Tis a far, far better thing that I shall do now than I have ever done.

Tis a far, far better place that I shall go than I have ever been.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dramattic View Post
    OK im new to this site and i need some help Im tryna build some muscle but it seems like i can't do it i use to lift weights and go to the gym every other day and i didn't get any muscle when i was done lifting i could see my muscles were swole but like an hour later they would just get soft and stay that way......

I wanna know anything i could do to get muscle and keep it im a teen im 17 but i want advice from more experienced people..... I don't take any supplements are anything if i should any suggestions

and i weigh 155.

It's what you eat most likely or maybe your expectations are too high.. it takes time..
    What you feel after working out is the blood pumped into the veins that gives you that pumped feeling that's not muscle growth .. yet.. it's probably growing but you can't see it yet

have patience and eat a lot , stay away from junk food and eat good Jamaican food.. Jamaicans eat pretty well if anything too much fried food,curry goat (very very fatty)
    and sugar...
    But you have access to a lot of good fresh fish,chicken, fruits and veggies

and I recommend doing Starting Strength for a while, it will build muscle and strength
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
    Last edited by BrotherWolf; 11-16-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000) The_Warhammer is just really nice. (+1000)
    At 17, you're prob not going to have alot of patience, but that's the key. Lifting and building muscle is a LONG term thing. We were all 17 once. Well except maybe Old-time... ;-)

Don't expect your muscles to grow after every session. It takes A LONG TIME. Some people will work out and only gain a pound or two of lean MUSCLE mass over a YEAR's time.

Don't let it discourage you though. It's definitely worth the effort later in life. And as a 17 year old, your body may adapt faster than those of us who are more "senior" than you.

Don't forget diet and rest. The biggest gains are seen OUTSIDE the gym. It's about how you feed those muscle fibers trying to grow and how to let them rest to rebuild that's the key. In the gym you will never actually build the muscle fibers there. You are only breaking them down. The goal is to rebuild the micro-tears with new muscle tissue. That's done outside the gym.

Above all, HAVE PATIENCE!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

I too was seventeen once..........

I too was seventeen once............

I started lifting in high school, back then we had no one to tell us what to do or proper form. All we had was some old cement weights and a weight machine.

There were only two of us in the whole school who really were into lifting, the rest of the guys would lift during the sports season and then drop out as soon as the season was over.

Patience is certainly the word of the day. At 17 one has no patience and the race looks like a sprint....... it's not!!

Read my signature, and heed the warning........ you've gotten good advice already, and I've nothing else to add.

Was friends with Methuselah

not quite... domesticated justboo2u's Avatar
    justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I read your sig...
    I read your posted age...
    and decided to slit my throat.

except that its actually beginning to look like a throat now ...

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by justboo2u View Post
    I read your sig...
    I read your posted age...
    and decided to slit my throat.

except that its actually beginning to look like a throat now ...

Actually, I've been using that line since I turned 30..........

You're looking good there justboo2u!!
    Was friends with Methuselah

Im Just tryna build some upper body muscles I wanna get bigger arms get my traps a little bit bigger and my deltoids....

exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Eat lots of protien, lift heavy...rest...repeat!
    White Flood, Green MAGnitude, Purple Wraath, Orange Triad, Cellmass, Syntha-6, 1st 6 Hour Bovine Colostrum Powder, Flax Oil, Flax Seed & NOW Omega 3/6/9

http://battleintheburgh.tripod.com

It's OK to live everyday as if it were your last, But LEARN everday as if you were going to Live forever

maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im Just tryna build some upper body muscles I wanna get bigger arms get my traps a little bit bigger and my deltoids....
    dude, we were all 17 once. Some of us were able to build muscle. I unfortunately was not one of them. A rail back in high school.

There is no easy way out, eat, eat,eat,eat,****,sleep,eat,eat,eat,...repeat.
    At 17 it's heard to for see the future, we all want "everything now".
    What's your diet like? Depending on your height, 155lbs may make you slim or stocky with the inability to grow past that, just get stronger.
    Simple diet that I am doing. If your diet is not similar, that may be your problem. I still have to increase my calories myself, but I am seeing the
    results so far. +12 lbs heavier in 4 months.

0530/Breakfast: (as a ritual!)
    1 cup of oatmeal
    1cup frozen fruit that melts in the hot o2tmeal
    1 cup orange juice
    3 scrambled eggs in microwave
    1cup coffee
    *wait 1 hr for food to digest*

0630/Hit the gym for 1.5 hr work out

0830/Get home and get ready for work
    1 cup water
    2 scoops EAS protein powder
    3/4 cup frozen fruit
    1 cup vanilla yogurt

1130/Lunch-whatever seems to have the most calories in the cafeteria
    which includes cookies or fruit for dessert
    1430/Mid day snack of some kind.

1630/Dinner-whatever seems to have the most calories in the cafeteria

2300/Dinner again-what my girlfriend makes for dinner, since I am
    just getting home now.
    2330/Sleep.

Basically 4 decent meals a day. I work in a hospital so all their meals are balanced.
    I'm not nutrionist, but this is the best I can do for now.
    Something to think about.
    Also, like everyone else is saying, get a better work out program, that does not include only the upper body.
    Seriously, women love nice legs as much as we love their legs, .......DO NOT BE A LIGHT BULB. Big up top
    and anorexic on the bottom.

-Frank
    Last edited by maggioracing; 11-17-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nunyas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by maggioracing View Post
    dude, we were all 17 once. Some of us were able to build muscle. I unfortunately was not one of them. A rail back in high school.

There is no easy way out, eat, eat,eat,eat,****,sleep,eat,eat,eat,...repeat.
    At 17 it's heard to for see the future, we all want "everything now".
    What's your diet like? Depending on your height, 155lbs may make you slim or stocky with the inability to grow past that, just get stronger.
    Simple diet that I am doing. If your diet is not similar, that may be your problem. I still have to increase my calories myself, but I am seeing the
    results so far. +12 lbs heavier in 4 months.

0530/Breakfast: (as a ritual!)
    1 cup of oatmeal
    1cup frozen fruit that melts in the hot o2tmeal
    1 cup orange juice
    3 scrambled eggs in microwave
    1cup coffee
    *wait 1 hr for food to digest*

0630/Hit the gym for 1.5 hr work out

0830/Get home and get ready for work
    1 cup water
    2 scoops EAS protein powder
    3/4 cup frozen fruit
    1 cup vanilla yogurt

1130/Lunch-whatever seems to have the most calories in the cafeteria
    1430/Mid day snack of some kind.

1630/Dinner-whatever seems to have the most calories in the cafeteria

2300/Dinner again-what my girlfriend makes for dinner, since I am
    just getting home now.
    2330/Sleep.

Basically 4 decent meals a day. I work in a hospital so all their meals are balanced.
    I'm not nutrionist, but this is the best I can do for now.
    Something to think about.
    Also, like everyone else is saying, get a better work out program, that does not include only the upper body.
    Seriously, women love nice legs as much as we love their legs, .......DO NOT BE A LIGHT BULB. Big up top
    and anorexic on the bottom.

-Frank
    you got that right... chicks like butts too. If I had a dollar everytime I over heard some women talking about some guys butt.... Anyway, knowing chicks like legs and butts as much as they like chests and arms is one of the biggest reasons I don't mind doing squats and SLDLs...

But like one more thing i wanna gain muscle but at the same time i don't wanna get fat like i wanna look good and keep my shape i been eating alot your 530 breakfast is just like mine minus the coffee.... but yea is there any supplements that i could take that could help with my progress????

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No quick fix. Time.

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    But like one more thing i wanna gain muscle but at the same time i don't wanna get fat like i wanna look good and keep my shape i been eating alot your 530 breakfast is just like mine minus the coffee.... but yea is there any supplements that i could take that could help with my progress????
    You're 18 all you need is tons of food and a good routine

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tryna...
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

not quite... domesticated justboo2u's Avatar
    justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justboo2u is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Old-Time-Lifter View Post
    Actually, I've been using that line since I turned 30..........

You're looking good there justboo2u!!
    Thanks! I gotta throw up some new pics...

after I swallow them first. :P

(Returning you to your previously generated topic...)

maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man, you're killin' me.
    Ok, the first step to working out is:
    1. Setting a goal. "I want to be 10 heavier in the next 90-120 days" as an example. Make the goal REALISTIC.
    2.You have to be into to benefit from it. "Getting big", what does that exactly mean? It's too generic a statement to make. Clarify what you want.
    Post up a pic for us to see and critique what you need to work on. Right guys?
    3. Eating and sleeping takes precedent over everythingelse, to some extent. Be strict with your diet and sleep. Arrange your schedule for a good meal, than work out, than whatever you want to do that day. But get at least 6 hrs of sleep.
    4.DO NOT LOOK AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR ON A CONTINUAL BASIS. Wondering if you see muscle, and than get discoruaged. Wear t-shirts or sweat shirts to the gym. You'll stay warmer and lift better. Trust me. Your muscles and joints will thank you.
    5. Forget that "Is there a supplement out there that I can take?"...Looks like someone wants a quick fix. Protein supplements are made to enhance a diet not be a meal replacement.
    6. DO NOT OVER TRAIN. Stick with basic movements.
    Example: for chest all I am doing now is barbell flat bench, followed by dumbell incline....4 sets, 8 sets total..that's it. NO MORE NO LESS.
    I found this out by trial and error. I used to do 12 sets to include dumbbell flyes and found my muscles would get sore but I would not increase my bench. And my chest looked like crap.
    Here is a pic from my post. Before, and During. I'm doing the same work out I did to get back to what I used to look like. Again, by trial and error.
    August 2008

Oct 2008

SET GOALS.
    I'm not trying to cut you down, just helping you out since we all asked the same questions when we were your age.
    Good luck.
    -Frank
    Last edited by maggioracing; 11-18-2008 at 10:14 AM.

this is all you need to know about gaining muscle mass, some people might disagree here and there but basically that is all you need to do

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-w...r-skinny-guys/

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    this is all you need to know about gaining muscle mass, some people might disagree here and there but basically that is all you need to do

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-w...r-skinny-guys/
    Workout every other day? That I don't get.
    Also I need a lot more than the calorie recommendations they have. I'm in the neighbourhood of 3500-4000 calories and can't seem to gain. I'm going to try to figure a meal plan to bumps me up to about 4500 this weekend and see how that goes.
    Physical work and very active... And the metabolism of a Ferrari.
    Last edited by Do_Somethin; 11-18-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: This was the right thread.

Originally Posted by Do_Somethin View Post
    Workout every other day? That I don't get.
    Also I need a lot more than the calorie recommendations they have. I'm in the neighbourhood of 3500-4000 calories and can't seem to gain. I'm going to try to figure a meal plan to bumps me up to about 4500 this weekend and see how that goes.
    Physical work and very active... And the metabolism of a Ferrari.
    That's a very generic article of course you need to customize your diet and workouts but simply said if you're skinny guy eat plenty of meat and veggies
    drink a gallon of whole milk a day and you'll gain weight without any supplements, and if you workout accordingly you will gain muscle as well as some fat