EVILZ28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best workout using a bowflex system

hello im new here the name is steve.and was wondering what would be a good routine using the blowflex machine since i dont have access to free weights at this time. also what is a good supplement for building/gaining muscle mass

i am 30 yrs old and have not been to a gym in awhile. i used to go to the gym all the time just to keep in shape but now i have the time to try to build definition and add some more muscle mass.

delicious dogg crapp buddymander's Avatar
    buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry but blowflex machines suck big time for gaining muscle.

You gotta get some free weights dude otherwise your not going to get anywhere.
    my body is an army and my minds a general. I keep the body in shape and it does what I tell it to do. An army needs discipline, just like a man does. Herschel Walker

thats what i figured......not looking to get huge but have some definition and strength

delicious dogg crapp buddymander's Avatar
    buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by EVILZ28 View Post
    thats what i figured......not looking to get huge but have some definition and strength
    definition is about diet.

Workout a little and go on a lowfat diet keeping calories below 2000 and you will get ripped.

Your will also lose a lot of muscle because the best way to maintain muscle during cutting is to lift heavy weight with freeweights.

A bowflex is not going to get you strong in any sense.

Also gaining 5 pounds of muscle will be easy with a bowflex but beyond that its going to be slow as ****.

So go on craigslist or ebay and get some goddamn freeweights.
    my body is an army and my minds a general. I keep the body in shape and it does what I tell it to do. An army needs discipline, just like a man does. Herschel Walker

mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeman20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sell the bowflex, you can probably get a tone for it

make a lifting platform and buy some high quality olympic barbells and bumper plates, a sturdy bench and a power rack

now you're set for life

hmm ill have to look into the local gyms around my area.............i tried sellin the bowflx and had no takers so i said f@3ck it and starteed to use it again.

Registered User BillabongVolcom's Avatar
    BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't listen to these people. Yes, free weights are the best for building mass, but there is nothing wrong with your Bowflex if thats all you have to use. If you are getting stronger then it is working. Your muscles don't know if your lifting barbells, cinder blocks or trees, all it knows is the resistance put upon it. Just follow a good workout that you can use with your Bowflex and keep trying to add more resistance/weight to your lifts.
    I had all the normal teenage fantasies..cars, girls, money, blow. Then my parents left for a week, and all my fantasies came true!

i do notice my strength increasing.....i use the bowflex 4 times a week doing different groups each time i use the bowflex. i thought resistance weight training or excersise was better i may be wrong unfortunately its all i have to use at the current time ........ when i used to lift weights in high school i had a real good routine went from 230lbs to 211 and was gaining mass once i lost some of my body fat. now im 236 lbs from not going to the gym in 6-7 yrs but i still have some muscle mass but gained more body fat due to circumstances. my goal is to lose some body fat and get back to having some definition and muscle mass though i do not want to look like a professional body builder. i have 2 kids and id like to be able to be healthy and in shape ......maybe its just me but i dont want to be the out of shape parent who sits on his arse doing nothing........
    Last edited by EVILZ28; 11-17-2008 at 12:00 AM.

ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's nothing wrong with a blowflex, after one year of it's use however you'll see your strength and muscle size gains diminish; in other words, it would only be useful to keep you fit.

If you want longterm and solid strength and size gains, grab a barbell, some weights, and a squat rack.

ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've had a Bowflex for the last 4 years and managed to gain size and strength. I was in a similar situation, used to be fit, getting older and fatter and wanted to get in shape but not full blown bodybuilding. I think for many people, a bowflex will be fine even for a permanent piece of equipment if your goals are overall fitness. It has it's strengths and weaknesses just like ANY tool has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Some of the exercises in the manual just don't make sense or are better with dumbells etc. Also, I didn't like the 20 minute workouts in the manual either. I just basically setup a pretty typical 3 day split you'd do with free weights but did it with the bowflex and I used dumbells where it made sense.

To be honest though, my strength did increase on a number of exercises and I maxed out the bowflex with the full 410 pounds of rods. I've been like that for about a year and decided to sell it recently. I have a Powertec power rack on order and pick it up this Thursday.

So all that being said, if a bowflex is what you have today, it is still a useful tool and standard split workouts can be done on it like any other machine. You know by using it, which exercises it is good for and which ones it might not be so good for and can decide for yourself if there is a better way to work the same muscle (like with dumbells or curl bar etc.).

adolan21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love my Bowflex because I don't have time to go to the gym and not much room in my house so its been great. I'm mainly using it to tone up but I've added some muscle in the past month. Now I would never pay $1000 to $2000 for a new one but I got mine used on Craigslist for $150

AZCardinalsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ddeacon22 View Post
    I've had a Bowflex for the last 4 years and managed to gain size and strength. I was in a similar situation, used to be fit, getting older and fatter and wanted to get in shape but not full blown bodybuilding. I think for many people, a bowflex will be fine even for a permanent piece of equipment if your goals are overall fitness. It has it's strengths and weaknesses just like ANY tool has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Some of the exercises in the manual just don't make sense or are better with dumbells etc. Also, I didn't like the 20 minute workouts in the manual either. I just basically setup a pretty typical 3 day split you'd do with free weights but did it with the bowflex and I used dumbells where it made sense.

To be honest though, my strength did increase on a number of exercises and I maxed out the bowflex with the full 410 pounds of rods. I've been like that for about a year and decided to sell it recently. I have a Powertec power rack on order and pick it up this Thursday.

So all that being said, if a bowflex is what you have today, it is still a useful tool and standard split workouts can be done on it like any other machine. You know by using it, which exercises it is good for and which ones it might not be so good for and can decide for yourself if there is a better way to work the same muscle (like with dumbells or curl bar etc.).
    I'd really like to talk to you about your routine to get an idea on points of focus. I'll pm you

joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000) joshrider is just really nice. (+1000)
    You don't "build definition." Having definition is mainly a result of having a low percentage of bodyfat. Those dudes who are huge and ripped basically have large amounts of muscle and very little fat. They didn't get their definition by carving their muscles with light weights.

Anyway, if your nutrition is great and you work out with enough volume and frequency on the Bowflex (I'm assuming the loading isn't that sufficient or optimal for intensity), you probably can have good results. I'd still probably say free weights and even the use of a combination of machines is superior to the bowflex, but still results can be achieved. Good luck!

Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Without a bowflex I wouldn't be playing in a rock band!