SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)

Help with Butt/Hips

So, I'd like to compete again but to do so and even stand of chance of coming in anything but last, I need to lost some (a lot) of size on my butt and hips.

Now, I have naturally WIDE hips and a ghetto booty. Even when I was 86 lbs, I still had a ghetto booty. It just WILL NOT go away. My hips also got down to 34 inches at 86 lbs. They have never been smaller than 36-37 inches when I'm at a healthy weight though. My waist on the other hand in usually 25 inches or less at a healthy weight.

So, how do I reduce the size of my hips/butt? I'm not asking how to spot reduce body fat. From what my BF has told me, my butt has a lot of muscle, granted it has fat too. I'd just like it to be smaller, like this maybe http://tinyurl.com/5qzs6x

For legs I do:
    Deadlift
    Kneeling Hamstring Curl
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    ATG Squats

I also do HIIT 1-2 times a week.

As for diet, college makes that interesting. Through experimenting I have a found that a high fat and moderate protein and carb diet works best for me. I normally have around 100 g of fat, 200 or less grams of carbs, and around 120-200 g of protein (depending on what the dining hall serves) so I average around 2100-2500 calories and have been maintaining my weight at 115 lbs for a while now. (Progress pictures on my Body Space).

Is there anything I should be doing that I'm not in the way of exercises? Should I do steady state cardio as well as HIIT?
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
    So, I'd like to compete again but to do so and even stand of chance of coming in anything but last, I need to lost some (a lot) of size on my butt and hips.

Now, I have naturally WIDE hips and a ghetto booty. Even when I was 86 lbs, I still had a ghetto booty. It just WILL NOT go away. My hips also got down to 34 inches at 86 lbs. They have never been smaller than 36-37 inches when I'm at a healthy weight though. My waist on the other hand in usually 25 inches or less at a healthy weight.

So, how do I reduce the size of my hips/butt? I'm not asking how to spot reduce body fat. From what my BF has told me, my butt has a lot of muscle, granted it has fat too. I'd just like it to be smaller, like this maybe http://tinyurl.com/5qzs6x

For legs I do:
    Deadlift
    Kneeling Hamstring Curl
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    ATG Squats

As for diet, college makes that interesting. Through experimenting I have a found that a high fat and moderate protein and carb diet works best for me. I normally have around 100 g of fat, 200 or less grams of carbs, and around 120-200 g of protein (depending on what the dining hall serves) so I average around 2100-2500 calories and have been maintaining my weight at 115 lbs for a while now. (Progress pictures on my Body Space).

Is there anything I should be doing that I'm not in the way of exercises? Should I do steady state cardio as well as HIIT?
    when you figure it out let me know..my waist is 25 inches...hips/butt 41 inches hahaha

FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitMeg08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

For legs I do:
    Deadlift
    Kneeling Hamstring Curl
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    ATG Squats

Is your HIIT 2x a week the only cardio you get? I think adding in SS would help some. As far as hips go, it could be gentic. I have always had pretty wide hips- they'll never leave... no matter what I do. lol
    "Look for solutions not excuses"

"Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough." -Og Mandino

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The 1st thing you need to do is change your eating plan. Even though you only weigh 115 lbs...you're holding bodyfat and you need to lower it in order to lean out your lower half.

As for cardio I would throw in 3 HIIT sessions 15 min with 10 min cool downs and the other 2 days about 25 min SS cardio...this should work well for now.

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Shera - Will do. Same to you if you figure it out.

FitMeg08 - Other than walking around campus, HIIT is the only cardio I do right now. I was thinking about adding in SS but know I can't fit it in this semester.

kimm4 - Why do I need to change my eating plan if it's been working for me?

I know I'm holding BF, I'm a girl and girls are supposed to have BF. I have no want to look like an IFBB competitor. They are too lean for me and I don't personally like the look, though I respect the hard work it takes to get there.

The problem with dropping more BF is that my upper half is already bony, especially the rib area. That's why I didn't ask how to lose BF. I know it will happen in the process, but I am more interested in what changes I can make with the muscle I have/can build in those areas.

First and foremost, I am a college student and there is no way I would be able to eat enough, or sleep enough, to support doing HIIT 3x a week, especially if doing SS also. I can't even really support doing it twice a week in the sleep department.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully next semester I can add in SS 3x a week and do HIIT 2x.

*EDIT*I guess I should have said in my first post that I'm looking to compete in fitness contests, and maybe a fitness model contest. (Fitness contest through the Fitness America Pageant and possibly Ms. Fitness and fitness model through Fitness America Pageant and maybe OCB, but doubtful because of costs)
    Last edited by SophieM; 11-14-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sblandrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It sounds like you are trying to reduce the amount of muscle you have in your hip/thigh/rear area, am I right??? Also, is your overall goal proportion??? Since you are thinking of competing, I assume that is what you are going for...there's a few things you can do: first of all, you will want to reduce your body fat and the majority of that is going to come from your diet(macros) and cal in-cal out ratio, secondly, if you want to reduce muscle mass in that area, I would definitely bump up that cardio so that you do actually reduce some of that muscle mass, thirdly I would not focus as much on your legs when you are lifting as I would your upper body, because not only will that help to preserve the muscle on the top of your body while you are trying to reduce your mass on your lower body, but by building upper body muscle, you will appear more proportionate...this is something I've had to do because I also am very lean on top, and bulky (fat and muscle) on the bottom, I also have a friend who has competed and she had to do the same thing. Hope this helps.
    "Inconsistency is death to progress"

"Excuses are overrated-if you want it, GET IT!"

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel for ya. I don't have wide hip bones but I've got the fat. My upper body is about as thin as it can be but I've still got globs of lower body fat. I'm afraid you're going to have to drop your body fat lower to get your lower body shaped up. You should be at a point where more will start coming from your lower body as there isn't much left up top. We don't have a choice. It's where our bodies like to store fat.

I'd also really work the shoulders and lats to give you a wider look up top to balance out your hips. We can't change our bone structure but we can build muscles to try and keep things balanced.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Shera - Will do. Same to you if you figure it out.

FitMeg08 - Other than walking around campus, HIIT is the only cardio I do right now. I was thinking about adding in SS but know I can't fit it in this semester.

kimm4 - Why do I need to change my eating plan if it's been working for me?

I know I'm holding BF, I'm a girl and girls are supposed to have BF. I have no want to look like an IFBB competitor. They are too lean for me and I don't personally like the look, though I respect the hard work it takes to get there.

The problem with dropping more BF is that my upper half is already bony, especially the rib area. That's why I didn't ask how to lose BF. I know it will happen in the process, but I am more interested in what changes I can make with the muscle I have/can build in those areas.

First and foremost, I am a college student and there is no way I would be able to eat enough, or sleep enough, to support doing HIIT 3x a week, especially if doing SS also. I can't even really support doing it twice a week in the sleep department.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully next semester I can add in SS 3x a week and do HIIT 2x.

*EDIT*I guess I should have said in my first post that I'm looking to compete in fitness contests, and maybe a fitness model contest. (Fitness contest through the Fitness America Pageant and possibly Ms. Fitness and fitness model through Fitness America Pageant and maybe OCB, but doubtful because of costs)
    Ok, let me make a couple things clear. The girl that jumped on here saying you need to reduce muscle from the waist down is wrong! This is the deal, you are one of the girls that holds more bodyfat from the waist down (no big deal) Even when you were at 86 lbs you still held more bodyfat in your lower half...aka ghetto booty!!

I never said you wanted to look like an IFBB competitor, but if you're looking to compete in fitness modeling you still need to do a competition diet and you need to lean out. Once you hit a competition diet you will only lose so much fat in your upper body and then you'll lose the fat in your lower body...all this means is your lower body will lean out last. (which is normal for most of the women on this planet!!)

You came on here with a question about how to change your lower body. I'm telling you that the diet your on now will not work for what your looking to do...that's all.

The contests I'm looking at aren't for another 6-7 months and while it would be nice to win, that's not why I compete. I like having the goal, I like the training, I like choreographing the fitness routine (though I'm having my old dance instructor help this time around), and most importantly, it's FUN!

sblandrus - Thanks for your reply. I've had other people tell me something similar. It's nice to know what worked for others.

freebirdmac - I just don't want to get much more bony on top. It hurts leaning back in chairs as it is because my scapula stick out so much. I also have difficulty building muscle on my back because it was fractured when I was 10 and didn't really heal properly. I am trying though.

kimm4 - I'm curious as to how you know the diet I currently have, or one similar, won't work? Everyone responds to different diets differently and to just say "it won't work for you" seems kind of strange to me. You obviously know what kind of diet and training works for you, I have no doubt looking at your picture. But what works or others may be completely different.

Being in college, I have little to no control over my diet. Yes, I choose to eat the cleaner foods they offer, but they still have to offer the food. I can't eat what isn't being offered, which on more than one occasion has lead to a crap load of carbs and not enough protein.
    Last edited by SophieM; 11-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.

The contests I'm looking at aren't for another 6-7 months and while it would be nice to win, that's not why I compete. I like having the goal, I like the training, I like choreographing the fitness routine (though I'm having my old dance instructor help this time around), and most importantly, it's FUN!

sblandrus - Thanks for your reply. I've had other people tell me something similar. It's nice to know what worked for others.

freebirdmac - I just don't want to get much more bony on top. It hurts leaning back in chairs as it is because my scapula stick out so much. I also have difficulty building muscle on my back because it was fractured when I was 10 and didn't really heal properly. I am trying though.

kimm4 - I'm curious as to how you know the diet I currently have, or one similar, won't work? Everyone responds to different diets differently and to just say "it won't work for you" seems kind of strange to me. You obviously know what kind of diet and training works for you, I have no doubt looking at your picture. But what works or others may be completely different.

Being in college, I have little to no control over my diet. Yes, I choose to eat the cleaner foods they offer, but they still have to offer the food. I can't eat what isn't being offered, which on more than one occasion has lead to a crap load of carbs and not enough protein.
    How do I know? Well let's see I've been doing this for over 15 yrs and have tons of experience working with numerous clients...so yes I happen to know what works for most. The diet you are on now is above maintenance not for cutting...did you not say you've been at 115 lbs for a while now? So, if you want to make your lower half smaller and when you decide to compete...you will need to change your diet.

Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50)

College barfeteria~ How I remember it. If your college has a salad bar, you can eat fibrous carbs with cottage cheese (CC FTW!!). My college did have eggs available alongside the other breakfast choices, too. And you can separate the chicken, meat, or fish from the sauces they put on... it won't take all of it out, but it helps. Add in some sunflower seeds from the salad bar, too, for healthy fats and a little more protein.

Are you logging your food intake, any?
    Back with my nose to the grindstone. Trying only fails when you stop. :)

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sophie, Kimm4 is absolutely right when she says you need to continue to reduce your bodyfat. Bodyfat is what is giving your lower body the shape it has, not muscle...the only way to change your lower body is going to be to change what has the greatest influence over how it looks. If you lose the muscle you do have in your lower body, it's just going to make it that much more difficult to lose the fat.

I think that if you really want to have greater control over your diet, you can. You may have to get a bit creative, you may have to find ways to make extra money to get the things you need, you may have to switch a few priorities around...but where there is a will, there's a way.

kimm4- I have no idea what you mean by "above maintenance" since I've been maintaining my weight and losing BF since I started eating how I am currently eating.

Komadori - I'm not sure my dining hall offers cottage cheese. I've never seen it before. They may have it over in the area of the peanut butter though and I'll check when I go to lunch. There's definitely no sunflower seeds though.

They have scrambled eggs every morning, which is what I get. Some days, they don't have any meat. Hopefully they will start having grilled chicken every day like they used to. That will make things a lot easier.

I broke down the macros I usually get in my first post.

Amanda76 - I know I have to continue losing BF and never said otherwise.

You're second paragraph is where I start having difficulties agreeing with what you're saying.

There's not meal plan at my college which means even if I don't eat in the dining hall, I'm still paying for the food that I didn't eat. That's a REALLY big deal to me. I live with my great aunt who is too sick to work and I have no idea how much longer she'll be alive. The only house income is her SS check, which isn't enough. Even when she was working she made less than $13K a year. I work at the college bookstore to help out with the bills. I was working 20+ hours a week but it started interfering with grades so I cut back to 12 hours a week. So yes, I have a job but "extra money" isn't what I call what it gets me most times. While I could spend the money on food (and basically pay for two meals) I normally save it so when my great aunt needs help with the bills, it's there.

Switching priorities isn't really an option, and one reason I don't compete with my heart set on winning. I know there are people who can and DO make that their priority and I can't, and won't do that. School (and everything that goes along with it) and helping with the bills are the top two. I'm not going to push the rest of my life aside just to compete.
    ~~~~~
    This is why I didn't ask about my diet. Most people here seem to think everyone can just go out and buy the necessary foods and don't really know, or ask, about the financial situation of the person. Some people really just can't afford to eat like other people think they should, which normally is seen as not wanting bad enough or making excuses.

I know that for as many people that have said to change my diet, no one has said why my current way of eating is not going to work or offered me anything to replace it with. So, out of curiosity, if you think my diet won't work, WHY do you think that and what do you think I should be doing?

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I remember clearly what it was like in college. The dining hall, no money to buy anything other than what was extremely cheap.... If I had $5 to spend over a weekend I considered myself rich.

Since you said you had been at the same weight for awhile the assumption was you needed more of a caloric deficit to drop body fat. Given your food limitations you'll just have to figure out your options to create that deficit while keeping your macros close to where you want them to be. If your weight is staying level but you're putting on muscle at the same rate as you're losing body fat, then you don't have to do anything. Unless you want to speed up the fat loss.

It is frustrating. Between not wanting to get bonier up top and diet limitations you could pull your hair out. You'll figure it out

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    kimm4- I have no idea what you mean by "above maintenance" since I've been maintaining my weight and losing BF since I started eating how I am currently eating.

Komadori - I'm not sure my dining hall offers cottage cheese. I've never seen it before. They may have it over in the area of the peanut butter though and I'll check when I go to lunch. There's definitely no sunflower seeds though.

They have scrambled eggs every morning, which is what I get. Some days, they don't have any meat. Hopefully they will start having grilled chicken every day like they used to. That will make things a lot easier.

I broke down the macros I usually get in my first post.

Amanda76 - I know I have to continue losing BF and never said otherwise.

You're second paragraph is where I start having difficulties agreeing with what you're saying.

There's not meal plan at my college which means even if I don't eat in the dining hall, I'm still paying for the food that I didn't eat. That's a REALLY big deal to me. I live with my great aunt who is too sick to work and I have no idea how much longer she'll be alive. The only house income is her SS check, which isn't enough. Even when she was working she made less than $13K a year. I work at the college bookstore to help out with the bills. I was working 20+ hours a week but it started interfering with grades so I cut back to 12 hours a week. So yes, I have a job but "extra money" isn't what I call what it gets me most times. While I could spend the money on food (and basically pay for two meals) I normally save it so when my great aunt needs help with the bills, it's there.

Switching priorities isn't really an option, and one reason I don't compete with my heart set on winning. I know there are people who can and DO make that their priority and I can't, and won't do that. School (and everything that goes along with it) and helping with the bills are the top two. I'm not going to push the rest of my life aside just to compete.
    ~~~~~
    This is why I didn't ask about my diet. Most people here seem to think everyone can just go out and buy the necessary foods and don't really know, or ask, about the financial situation of the person. Some people really just can't afford to eat like other people think they should, which normally is seen as not wanting bad enough or making excuses.

I know that for as many people that have said to change my diet, no one has said why my current way of eating is not going to work or offered me anything to replace it with. So, out of curiosity, if you think my diet won't work, WHY do you think that and what do you think I should be doing?
    As a single parent, I've worked 2-3 jobs at a time while going to school full time. I know how tough it gets trying to juggle everything. I really do. I know tons of people who have had to support themselves through school and most are not fortunate enough to be able to survive working only 20 hours per week. Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs...strong physiological and safety base win out in priority over the esteem/self actualization stuff. The stronger your base is, the better chance you have of acheiving the things at the top. It works out the same way when it comes to getting the most out of your body. It's basic needs (nutrition/rest) must be met before you can expect to be above average in performance.

If you REALLY want to compete (which is expensive in and of itself), you need to give yourself options outside your school's dining facility. You can pop your head in there and see if they have something you can eat on a daily basis, but when they don't you need to have a packet of tuna and some oats ready. Eat all your fruits and veggies at the dining hall (assuming they have a salad bar) and eat lean protein when they have it available (have a backup like a tuna packet available when they don't). Ask whether things like rice, oats and cooked veggies have added oils or sugars in them. Ask for a special preparation of those kinds of things if they do. Again, carry your own carb source with you if it's iffy.

People, unfortunately, can't give you exercises that are going to spot reduce your hips. That's the reason our only focus is on diet...because THAT is what is going to give you the results you want. First and foremost, a real caloric deficit needs to be created. Basing your calories more on protein than carbs will ensure you have enough protien to maintain muscle while your calories are low enough to encourage catabolism. Whole sources of protein also have more of a thermogenic (calorie burning) effect over the other macros. Protein is also used to carry out other bodily functions (very important in immune-system support, for example...you wanna be able to work and go to school 80+ hours a week and be able to go to the gym without keeling over? Protein is important stuff...). Carbs can be used for energy or STORED for later. That's it. No point in overdoing the carbs.

What "diet" are you on? You've given yourself absolutely no control over what you eat on a daily basis. What you are doing is not working well enough for you, or you would not be here asking for help. What's the saying? "Fail to plan and you've planned to fail?" Why spend the money to step on stage if money is what's barring you from taking control of the most important part of the prep (diet)?

I personally think you could come up with a few better food options if you really wanted to. But, if it really is impossible to create a better nutrition base for yourself, competing might not be the best short-term goal if you don't have the money or time to put into it.

freebirdmac - I did say that eating like i have been, I have maintained my weight and am looking leaner than I have before (dropped BF). This is why I didn't understand the comment about my diet being above maintenance.

Amanda76 - I have no want to compare who had/has the worst personal economy in college. I simply was stating that some things aren't possible for me right now, period.

Again, no one has told me what's wrong with the current macros I am getting since I am maintaining my weight and getting leaner. My carb intake varies dramatically from a low of around 60g to a high of around 250 g, depending on what is in the dining hall so I'm not eating a crap load of carbs. Even when it's up around 200g it's still around 30% of my calories for the day depending on my protein intake.

I didn't ask for any spot reducing exercises. I asked if there were any exercises I could be doing that I'm not to build muscle and to help shape the muscle I already have.

I've already said I eat high fat and moderate carb and protein diet. Most days carbs and protein are about equal, but not all. I've also said that it seems to be working for me since I look leaner than I ever have while maintaining my current weight.

I've already said competing isn't a way of life for me. It's a fun way to make training more intense and more focused on an objective. I compete for fun. When it stops being fun, I stop competing.

I do put my foods in to Fitday and will then decide whether or not to eat the foods depending on what it will do to my macros. I also buy little things (salted peanuts and Pepitas espeically) to help increase my fat and protein while not adding a lot of carbs. I don't just eat whatever I want whenever i want.
    Last edited by SophieM; 11-16-2008 at 12:53 PM.

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I understand your delima I'm struggling to get the lean leg look without losing muscle. It is and has been difficult for me with the eating.

First nothing happens over night
    sometimes nothing happens period when that happens it may be because
    too much food is going in the mouth
    wrong food
    not enough food
    or too much crap food and too little nutritional building food.

Its all about the food when it comes to fat. You can run your face off and starve the **** out of yourself and even then nothing changes accept a bitchy or bitichier attitude. I'm not saying your bitchy but your sounding a tad bitchy by the way your posting your comments

keep a positive attitude and try to remain grateful you will see remarkable changes when your attitude does.
    Last edited by ToraAdams; 11-16-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: semi spell check and something was too stupid to be in there.

You came on this board and in your 1st sentence you said you wanted to compete again. Then you said you're tying to get your bottom half smaller. Then you say you eat 100 grams of fat, almost 200 grams of carbs and 120-200 grams of protein.

You are 21 yrs and 115 lbs...maintenance for you is 1800 calories...but you claim to eat between 2100 and 2500...thus you're eating above maintenance.

You say you are leaning out and losing bodyfat and I'm telling you no...not with the calories you're taking in now. So you keep doing what you're doing and lemmie know how that works out for you.

I'm done here...

So, how do I reduce the size of my hips/butt? I'm not asking how to spot reduce body fat. From what my BF has told me, my butt has a lot of muscle, granted it has fat too. I'd just like it to be smaller,
    Building muscle is not going to reduce the size of your hips and butt. Logic should tell you that adding lean mass while NOT losing fat mass is not going to equal a decrease in size. Fat loss is going to reduce the size of your hips and butt. Maintaining the muscle you have while losing fat is what is going to improve the look of your lower body. Again, that's why your focus needs to be on diet and creating a calorie deficit.

Your diet is not consistent enough to create a major change in the fat you are holding in your lower body. I have no clue how you can even label your nutrition plan with the wild swings in macros because you are not taking control over what you're eating. With the huge daily variations in macros and cals, you are simply creating an average that is keeping you from seeing any real fat loss which is why you are here asking for help.

ANY calorie deficit is going to result in a loss of body tissue (fat or muscle), which will result in a loss of scale weight. You can control the type of body tissue you lose through the macronutrients you consume and the activities you pursue during the deficit. You must of skipped over the part where I mentioned a few of the benefits of a more protein-centered diet. Whatever diet approach you decide to use, you do need to be consistent...and you do need to create a deficit to change the size of your lower body because it is fat, and not muscle, that is creating that shape.

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    and you do need to create a deficit to change the size of your lower body because it is fat, and not muscle, that is creating that shape.

amen too that

Originally Posted by ToraAdams View Post
    and you do need to create a deficit to change the size of your lower body because it is fat, and not muscle, that is creating that shape.

amen too that
    Agreed with Amanda and Tora. It's what I've been saying in my 1st couple posts.

Sophie, please understand that no one is trying to give you hard time. You no longer weigh 86 lbs and you've made some fantastic progress in your life. Your health is more important than anything else and I'm sure you feel so much stronger on the inside and out.

Understand that yes, you can absolutely change the lower half of your body if you want to. The advice you've been given here is correct...so the rest is up to you.

kimm4 - I don't understand how I'm eating above maintenance when I've been maintaining my weight, looking leaner, but eating as much as I have been eating (2100-2500 on average). I'm not trying to be bitchy but I just don't understand. It's not above maintenance if I've maintaining my weight and certainly not above maintenance if I'm getting leaner.

Amanda76 - I said I knew I had to lose BF as well but wanted to know if there was any exercises I could do to build muscle. I plan on continuing to lose BF. That was not the question even though everyone seem to be focusing on the fact I'll need to lose BF to get leaner.

And as I keep saying, I HAVE and DO see fat loss when I look in the mirror and when I take pictures. I'm not planning on trying to not lose BF.

Let me try to rephrase the question:
    Yes, I need to lose BF.
    Yes, I know how to do that through diet and cardio (my foster dad used to compete).
    NO, that is not what I'm asking advice for. (Though, re: the diet, I really don't understand why it's "above maintenance" or a bad eating plan if I've been maintaining my weight and seeing fat loss. It will also be better when the dining hall offers chicken breasts at lunch and dinner.)

I came here (to the training section) to ask about exercises to build muscle in the hip/butt area so as to not lose the overall shape while losing fat. The picture I posted has a similar shape to mine but it much smaller.

I don't mean to sound bitchy but when you ask for help for something and only a handful of people ever answered you, it kind of feels like no one is really reading and listening to what you are asking for.
    Last edited by SophieM; 11-16-2008 at 09:11 PM.

This was the problem; "So, how do I reduce the size of my hips/butt? I'm not asking how to spot reduce body fat." Kind of sent everyone in the wrong direction.

The exercises you're doing are great. Switch up foot position on squats and presses, try step ups, and anything else to keep lower body workouts fresh.

Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000)

Now, I have naturally WIDE hips and a ghetto booty. Even when I was 86 lbs, I still had a ghetto booty. It just WILL NOT go away. My hips also got down to 34 inches at 86 lbs.

I think is where people got confused. You said all of this and then towards the very end added "Is there anything I should be doing that I'm not in the way of exercises?" Prior to this one question, everything else seemed fat vs. muscle oriented and hence, all of the answers regarding diet.

You said "compete again." When did you last compete? Where did you place? What did you do then? Were you satisfied with the outcome back then?

All of the exercises you're doing are all of the exercises the competitors seem to hit, so, I don't see where you could do anything different other than to add some cable exercises. (See the "exercise" section of the main bb.com page. Cable Kickbacks are on there, I think! I could explain, but I'm terrible at it and the photos on there speak volumes.)
    I am, after all, a heavenly blessed beauty, whose inner beauty and beauty is simply divine and everlasting.

Harry: Erica, will you be my flesh friend?
    Erica: What the hell is that?
    Harry: Phucicngbuttholemonster!
    Erica: WTH?

My Insanity Experiment: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=495939921#post495939921

freebirdmac - Thanks for the suggestions.

Finner - I competed sophomore year and was very bloated from that TOM. I was doing an upper/lower split and aiming for 6 hours of cardio a week. I don't remember what, if anything, I was doing in the way of diet. I know there wasn't a lot of protein options until lately as they really catered to vegetarians and hardly ever had meat. There was only two of us competing in fitness and she'd been competing for over 15 years. The judges didn't offer any feedback and I didn't get a score sheet. All in all, it was a crappy experience, mostly because of how it was run.

I'm thinking about adding in reverse hyperextentions on a ball. I'm not sure if the gym I go has anything I could put my ankle in for cable kickbacks but I'll check next time I go down.

Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    freebirdmac - Thanks for the suggestions.

Finner - I competed sophomore year and was very bloated from that TOM. I was doing an upper/lower split and aiming for 6 hours of cardio a week. I don't remember what, if anything, I was doing in the way of diet. I know there wasn't a lot of protein options until lately as they really catered to vegetarians and hardly ever had meat. There was only two of us competing in fitness and she'd been competing for over 15 years. The judges didn't offer any feedback and I didn't get a score sheet. All in all, it was a crappy experience, mostly because of how it was run.

I'm thinking about adding in reverse hyperextentions on a ball. I'm not sure if the gym I go has anything I could put my ankle in for cable kickbacks but I'll check next time I go down.

Damn that TOM!!!! I refuse to even look in the mirror during that time. LOL.

I've done reverse hypers on the ball before with ankle weights and it works well. I've also done it using the hyper-bench. I just get on it from the front and lift my legs from there.
    I am, after all, a heavenly blessed beauty, whose inner beauty and beauty is simply divine and everlasting.

Harry: Erica, will you be my flesh friend?
    Erica: What the hell is that?
    Harry: Phucicngbuttholemonster!
    Erica: WTH?

My Insanity Experiment: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=495939921#post495939921

The hyper bench my gym has will not work for reverse hypers. My gym doesn't even have decline benches. For a new facility that cost a LOT of $$$$, they could have at least picked out better/more equipment.

How did the reverse hypers treat you? I've never done on them on a regular basis and just realized I could use the ball.