jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are protein shakes necessary?

Just wondering, how much help do protein shakes really do for the body? Is it possible to bodybuild without them? How much of an effect do they have on muscle growth and so forth? Is there a big difference with using whole proteins from food solely instead of manufactured products? I know the companies and their reps will definitely disagree with me on this, but I'm just curious what you guys think?

Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jake_ View Post
    Just wondering, how much help do protein shakes really do for the body? Is it possible to bodybuild without them? How much of an effect do they have on muscle growth and so forth? Is there a big difference with using whole proteins from food solely instead of manufactured products? I know the companies and their reps will definitely disagree with me on this, but I'm just curious what you guys think?
    Shakes are absolutely not necessary. Whole food is just as good for protein requirements. For most it's just easier to drink 50g of protein than eat it.
    I used to be 135 pounds, give me a break.

Reps to:
    LilScrapper
    The Unleashed
    Carpe_Diem
    All_Swoled_Up
    Master.D.

liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Anticrombie315 View Post
    Shakes are absolutely not necessary. Whole food is just as good for protein requirements. For most it's just easier to drink 50g of protein than eat it.
    X 2. Not necessary by any means, but sure is convenient at times. Whole food = better.

dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000) dn27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Whole foods are > shake when it comes to nutrition

shakes > whole foods when it comes to convenience
    If you need me, I'll be under 460+ pounds. If you find me on the floor, please get the weight off of me.

A curl works your arms.... not your back.

Shut up and eat!

My supps: Dedication, motivation, and a little bit of whey

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dn27 View Post
    Whole foods are > shake when it comes to nutrition

shakes > whole foods when it comes to convenience
    agreed
    plus its cheaper than buying that much lean meat all the time
    /M\

Who's High Pitch

Detoxing from Life martina92685's Avatar
    martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I take it because I'm vegetarian and just not savvy enough to figure out how to EAT that much protein, withouth consuming 6 cups of lentils and rice a day.

Protein powder is a SUPPLEMENT. Meaning, EXTRA.
    - Damnit. I got fat again. Brb: picking up the pieces and burning my excuses. -

Struggle Built Strength. -=_Blaze_=-'s Avatar
    -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) -=_Blaze_=- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The mistake too many people initially make (including me) when they get into lifting/proper nutrition is buying whey protein shakes/other supplements and relying on them too much for nutrition. Especially since its easier to drink a shake than cook and prepare a meal.

You dont really need them. They do help for convenience, but do a few weeks without them and get all the protein you need from good whole foods. when you add them in, your nutrition will be on point.

I would put a multivitamin before a protein powder in terms of necessity
    "TRAIN HARD.THE PAIN WILL LEAVE YOU IN THE SHOWER, BUT THE GLORY WILL REMAIN IN YOUR HEART TO THE GRAVE"- Blaze (me)

"Growing up, I don?t know how many times I heard this? ?You are what you eat.? **** that ****. If that were true, I?d be a cow. Yeah, a big ****ing cow with an oatmeal tail, yams for horns, and eggs for hooves. What a ****ing sight that would be."
    -Mcgrath

"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."-J.A Froude

Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's not necessary, but whey > any whole food immediately post workout, and there is simply no argument to the contrary.

Until there is a steak I can ingest in 10 seconds, 10 seconds after I lift, and absorbed quickly, whey is part of my diet.

jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jake_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Messiahtype View Post
    It's not necessary, but whey > any whole food immediately post workout, and there is simply no argument to the contrary.

Until there is a steak I can ingest in 10 seconds, 10 seconds after I lift, and absorbed quickly, whey is part of my diet.
    so since shakes can be quickly taken after training, do they have more of an impact on muscle growth etc. rather than the lengthy process of whole foods?

i appreciate the great inputs from all so far.

LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It's the quickness of consumption and convenience of them that is their plus. Easy enough to take on 1000 liquid calories, a solid 1000 calories can take half an hour to eat.

Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liberate? has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I never use protein shakes,I just get my intake from whole foods.

TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000)
    so since shakes can be quickly taken after training, do they have more of an impact on muscle growth etc. rather than the lengthy process of whole foods?

From some of the articles I have read taking a fast absorbing protein with carbs post work out helps with recovery and growth.

Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Messiahtype is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Yes. Ideally, whey ASAP post workout and then a high protein meal about 2 hours later.

That's the short answer anyway.

sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100)
    a supplement is exactly that..a supplement.

Most people use a PWO shake to trigger high protein synthesis. Others to tweak their 40/40/20. MAINLY people use it to help bulk, getting in those last 20grams for the day.
    Pro7en Protein
    NOW Adam Multi Vit.
    zinc sups.

Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Drandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Messiahtype View Post

Its too bad so many people believe this and its just wrong. Do you train fasted and also train twice a day? If not then you dont NEED anything "fast" PWO.

Do you really run in a full sprint after your workout to down a shake in less than 10 seconds and actually think this is different then eating some food 15 minutes later?

lol
    Last edited by Drandom; 11-13-2008 at 03:04 PM.
    Keto dropped > 125lbs

Currently bulking

Originally Posted by Drandom View Post
    Its too bad so many people believe this and its just wrong. Do you train fasted and also train twice a day? If not then you dont NEED anything "fast" PWO.

Do you really run in a full sprint after your workout to down a shake in less than 10 seconds and actually think this is different then eating some food 15 minutes later?

lol
    that's the same thing i was wondering. how much of an impact can it be absorption wise and muscle growth wise than eating whole foods a few minutes, maybe even an hour later?

rabbanerjee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    that's the same thing i was wondering. how much of an impact can it be absorption wise and muscle growth wise than eating whole foods a few minutes, maybe even an hour later?
    I take Iso 100 DYMATIZE after working out. i was wondering how much is observed in the muscles?

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rabbanerjee View Post
    I take Iso 100 DYMATIZE after working out. i was wondering how much is observed in the muscles?
    This is a 7 year old thread.

I dont think your muscles observe much though...
    Eat the damn yolk.